HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the game plan if Perry leaves?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 12:17 AM
  #26
Paul4587
Moderator
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
That is silly. Semin is a phenomenal player.
A phenomenal talent who will not lead his team anywhere when it counts. Guys like Corey Perry and Jonathan Toews are heart and soul players who are winners - guys like Alex Semin are floaters who you can't rely on to be a go to guy when it counts.

There's a reason the media and his ex-team mates have been so critical of him.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:20 AM
  #27
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
If that is our lineup going into next season we won't win 30 games.
If we lose Perry and Teemu our expectations for next season need to be reined in. It's going to take a season or two to recover from those losses - maybe more. I don't think we'll go into the toilet, but we won't be a contender for a little bit.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:43 AM
  #28
Professor John Frink
Registered User
 
Professor John Frink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
If we lose Perry and Teemu our expectations for next season need to be reined in. It's going to take a season or two to recover from those losses - maybe more. I don't think we'll go into the toilet, but we won't be a contender for a little bit.
My comment was more focused on the fact the poster had basically 6 or 7 unproven players in the lineup. I realize losing Perry Lydman Selanne Koivu would greatly change the chemistry/makeup of the team.

My hope and expectation would be that Murray would use some of that 15 or so million that we are losing in those four players to either add veterans via trade of free agency. But I certainly wouldnt expect the Ducks to be as good as they have been now. Shoot I didn't expect them to be good this year with the likes of Perry and Selanne in the lineup.


Last edited by Professor John Frink: 03-07-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Professor John Frink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:00 AM
  #29
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
A phenomenal talent who will not lead his team anywhere when it counts. Guys like Corey Perry and Jonathan Toews are heart and soul players who are winners - guys like Alex Semin are floaters who you can't rely on to be a go to guy when it counts.

There's a reason the media and his ex-team mates have been so critical of him.
They signed him because our coach spoke so well of him. Every player on this team can't be Perry. That is an unreasonable standard. If we had a choice between someone that did play that way and one that didn't you'd be correct to turn him down. While I doubt he'll ever end up here, we shouldn't be quick to dismiss someone with that skill level when he have no one else of that level available to us internally.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:02 AM
  #30
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
My comment was more focused on the fact the poster had basically 6 or 7 unproven players in the lineup. I realize losing Perry Lydman Selanne Koivu would greatly change the chemistry/makeup of the team.

My hope and expectation would be that Murray would use some of that 15 or so million that we are losing in those four players to either add veterans via trade of free agency. But I certainly would expect the Ducks to be as good as they have been now. Shoot I didn't expect them to be goo this year with the likes of Perry and Selanne in the lineup.
I don't think anyone did. I thought we were a 7 or 8 seed at best.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:22 AM
  #31
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8
 
heusy_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
If that is our lineup going into next season we won't win 30 games.

Edit: Where is Cogliano?
Wasn't really trying to make a lineup as much as I was just trying to show that there's still depth up front. Personally I'd move Cogliano in the off-season now that he has shown some value this season. There are younger, cheaper options to play in that middle six role, such as Rakell, DSP, Wagner and Beleskey.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
  #32
Fallenity
Registered User
 
Fallenity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 950
If we lose Perry (for nothing), I see our lineup next year being:

Ryan - Getzlaf - Palmieri
UFA - Holland - Etem
Cogliano - Koivu - Winnik
Beleskey - Bonino - DSP

Rakell might also be in the lineup then, which would bring up some options. Not as good as this season, but it has potential. Especially the first line could still do damage. Of course there's also McMillan and other surprises that could rise up through the ranks.

That's why I think it's important we give a lot of rookies chances / time this season, because they might be forced to take a larger role next season. Luckily the d-core looks like it'll stay the same, with maybe Lydman or Sbisa getting traded. That'll give some stability and it just might end up so, that we'd have to play a bit more defensive hockey then this season.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
  #33
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 17,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Wasn't really trying to make a lineup as much as I was just trying to show that there's still depth up front. Personally I'd move Cogliano in the off-season now that he has shown some value this season. There are younger, cheaper options to play in that middle six role, such as Rakell, DSP, Wagner and Beleskey.
DSP, Beleskey are not better then Cogliano. Wagner hasn't played an NHL game yet (though he sounds impressive in AHL) and Rakell isn't on Cogs level in the NHL level yet either, though he did look quite solid, never mind the fact Rakell is probably going to be playing C not W in the NHL.

Cogs is a very good bottom 6 forward, I don't see why we have to trade him at all in the near future. Specially if the likes of Koivu retire, while not the same position, it's basically getting rid of 2 very good bottom 6 forwards and hoping prospects step up into the roles, risky IMO

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
  #34
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,946
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
A phenomenal talent who will not lead his team anywhere when it counts. Guys like Corey Perry and Jonathan Toews are heart and soul players who are winners - guys like Alex Semin are floaters who you can't rely on to be a go to guy when it counts.

There's a reason the media and his ex-team mates have been so critical of him.
i think you're taking it too far. semin has shown great strides in his play away from the puck. he's fairly good defensively and obviously a stud offensively. we have players on our team that definitely aren't heart and soul players, its hard to make a team of that...

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:55 PM
  #35
Paul4587
Moderator
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
i think you're taking it too far. semin has shown great strides in his play away from the puck. he's fairly good defensively and obviously a stud offensively. we have players on our team that definitely aren't heart and soul players, its hard to make a team of that...
Yeah - when he wants to be he's all of those things. Bobby Ryan is frustrating enough to watch at times - Semin is 10 times worse than Ryan is. He's simply not someone who will lead a team to success as one of its go to guys. His playoff track record outside of one year has been awful and he's been called out by multiple ex teammates in the media since leaving Washington.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
  #36
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,946
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Yeah - when he wants to be he's all of those things. Bobby Ryan is frustrating enough to watch at times - Semin is 10 times worse than Ryan is. He's simply not someone who will lead a team to success as one of its go to guys. His playoff track record outside of one year has been awful and he's been called out by multiple ex teammates in the media since leaving Washington.
i seriously question whether you've watched his play this year in carolina. he's been good with and without the puck.. pretty consistently... ya he's been called out by plugs... but its true he was frustrating in washington. not so much in carolina.


Last edited by bumperkisser: 03-07-2013 at 08:20 PM.
bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:29 PM
  #37
Paul4587
Moderator
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
i seriously question whether you've watched his play this year in carolina. he's been good with and without the puck.. pretty consistently... ya he's been called out by plugs... but its true he was frustrating in washington. not so much in carolina.
I've watched maybe two Carolina games this year - they're definitely not a team I go out of my way to watch. But 22 games in a new uniform does not mean Semin is all of a sudden a new player. I saw plenty of him in Washington and he had patches there where he was outstanding also. If we're going to judge players based on their initial performance with a new team then Ryan Whitney would be regarded as a number one defenseman.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:57 AM
  #38
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,694
vCash: 500
You can't replace Perry just like that. Murray can sign a UFA to partly replace some of the offence, but will also need Palmieri or Etem to step up in a bigger role.

List of forwards becoming UFA's this summer

McDonald hasn't had a good start is injured again. I think the Blues will let him go. The Ducks should be able to afford him AND another top six forward.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
  #39
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,946
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
You can't replace Perry just like that. Murray can sign a UFA to partly replace some of the offence, but will also need Palmieri or Etem to step up in a bigger role.

List of forwards becoming UFA's this summer

McDonald hasn't had a good start is injured again. I think the Blues will let him go. The Ducks should be able to afford him AND another top six forward.
lot of potential good UFA's this year. albeit a bit on the old side

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.