HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make Yanic Perault a hab again???

Old
07-25-2006, 12:14 PM
albertonhabsfan

vCash: 500
Make Yanic Perault a hab again???

Why not? He would come very cheap, He had a great year last year points wise, IMO, still the best face off man in the league. Would he not be a great 3rd, 4th liner for $650-700,000 ???? If you disagree, why?

albertonhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
SOLR

Do you want the long or the short answer?

Short: No

Long: Hell no

No more floaters is the reason.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:19 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I'd have no problem with Perreault ( I like him alot, he can score goals) but with Bonk...forget it.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:19 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertonhabsfan View Post
Why not? He would come very cheap, He had a great year last year points wise, IMO, still the best face off man in the league. Would he not be a great 3rd, 4th liner for $650-700,000 ???? If you disagree, why?
And were does he play on the fifth line???

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:20 PM
zednik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
And were does he play on the fifth line???
with Dagenais...

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Darz

If you were allowed an unlimited amount of players on your roster, and he was willing to sign very cheap, sure, but I don't see the league changing its policy on roster limits anytime soon, so.....

07-25-2006, 12:22 PM
habfan4

Unless Yanic wants to become the Habs faceoff coach then I think Gainey should pass.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:24 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Unless Yanic wants to become the Habs faceoff coach then I think Gainey should pass.
Montreal already has the best faceoff coach in the league. Guy Carbonneau

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
wade

he would light it up for the bulldogs

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:36 PM
hockey_nut

no room. therefore, no.

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:38 PM
HabsoluteFate

Let's see...Yanick at this point is one step forward...and 10 steps back...so no way in hell

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:46 PM

Perreault is only effective in a top 6 role, he can't beat anyone out of our top 6.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
There is no room on the roster for Perreault.The guy can't skate,wow he can win faceoffs.... NO WAY

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:15 PM
pavlako11

I remember when Pierre McGuire (TSN) was so high on this guy saying he's so good blah blah blah, when he was playing on Nashville, where is he now? Exactly

We don't need this guy, all he's good for is a faceoff win, nothing else

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
I remember when Pierre McGuire (TSN) was so high on this guy saying he's so good blah blah blah, when he was playing on Nashville, where is he now? Exactly

We don't need this guy, all he's good for is a faceoff win, nothing else
Perreault got calls from teams and he's gonna play in the NHL next year. For those that didin't notice Perreault had a carrer year last season with 57points and domined the league with 62.2% of his Faceoffs won.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/209216.html

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej View Post
Perreault got calls from teams and he's gonna play in the NHL next year. For those that didin't notice Perreault had a carrer year last season with 57points and domined the league with 62.2% of his Faceoffs won.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/209216.html
Well put. Perrault is a worthwhile pickup for any team, we just don't have roster space for him, and have a similar type player in Bonk. (Bonk is better though before everyone starts bashing me)

I think many people discount the importance of faceoffs. An extra 10% of faceoffs won (compared to Koivu, who had like 53%) is a lot of extra time in the offensive zone.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:55 PM
albertonhabsfan

Well, just my opinion. I think he would be as good as Bonk and Murray forsure. If you were playing in April, tie game with the face off in the attacking zone who would you want on the draw??? And he did tally 57 points last year with Nashville of all teams!! how may players do we have that tallied 57 points last year???

albertonhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Drive425

How many different languages can you say no to Yank it Perreault?

Great on faceoff...Maybe Ferguson Jr can make him a Leaf again?

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Well, just my opinion. I think he would be as good as Bonk and Murray forsure. If you were playing in April, tie game with the face off in the attacking zone who would you want on the draw??? And he did tally 57 points last year with Nashville of all teams!! how may players do we have that tallied 57 points last year???

You're entitled to your opinion, but every team needs role players. Right now, Bonk and Murray are role players.

If Montreal were to acquire Perreault, the following needs to be considered:

- who does Perreault replace? Keep in mind it has to be a centerman, so Murray is not an option. If you replace Bonk, how do you get rid of Bonk? Do you replace Plekanec, a rookie who was impressive down the stretch and dominant on the draw in the playoffs? Or Ribeiro, a player Montreal management has faith in to be a component to the team's offense?

It's not realistic to think in terms of 'should the team sign Perreault?', because Montreal's center depth right now is set. There's no reason to think any adjustments will be made.

As far as I'm concerned, though, Perreault is one of the softer, more limited players in the league. Yes, he's strong on faceoffs, but would I want him taking a faceoff in Montreal's zone in the dying seconds of a game? Probably not. Because there's still a 40% chance that he'll lose the draw, and if he does, he can be exposed defensively in a split second. I'd much prefer a fundamentally stronger player like Plekanec or Bonk taking that final faceoff.

For all of Ribeiro's drawbacks, he's a very noticeable player that doesn't float. He also doesn't shy away from the corners. He's a superior playmaker and far more capable at gaining the opposition blueline and keeping the puck deep.

Perreault has the uncanny ability to lose virtually every single board battle he manages to float himself into. Throwing a check is a once-every-ten-games event. He can't create plays, and pivots need to be able to move the puck. Especially in Montreal's system that relies on the centerman to such a great degree.

Perreault is a system-breaker, soft defensively, and doesn't fit in Montreal in any way. Even if you like him, you have to concede the fact that Montreal's center depth right now is set in stone unless a major upgrade is on the way.

BTW, on the topic of 'is Perreault better than Murray/Bonk?' ... yes, certainly more talented than Murray. But if you take out Murray and inject Perreault, you take away from the energy, grit and defensive responsibility the fourth line provides ... And what's the fourth line's job? Defensive responsibility, energy and grit. So while adding Perreault and removing Murray makes the team more talented, it removes the dimension of having a capable gritty fourth line.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

For some reason, I still don't have a really bad opinion of Perrault. I always thought he worked pretty hard, within the limitations of the kind of player he is.

I definitely think his faceoff skills are overrated though. The stats only show win/loss numbers, but it's equally important that a player is able to tie up a man and stay in the play on any draw, and while Perrault may be the best in the business at clean wins, his losses are more damaging than some of the losses of other guys with lower %ages. Bonk or Koivu at 50-55% might actually be better overall than Perrault at 62%. Putting him out for offensive zone wins would be great. But most of the really heavy value in a faceoff man is for the key defensive zone assignments, and his impact there isn't really accurately reflected by the stat.

But anyway, despite all that, I can imagine a situation where we start to stack up some injuries like we did in some past years, and having a guy like Perreault around at $450k might pay off big time. I don't get the idea that he's a drawback to the team environment if he's not being used a lot like maybe Dagenais was. I wouldn't mind signing him and going into camp to see if Lapierre/Kostitsyn/Ferland etc could really outplay him for the 14th forward spot or not. If he's just signed for $450k. If he can't beat those guys out fair and square, he'd be aces for Hamilton, or somebody else could have him on waivers. No skin off our teeth either way.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
kevinr

Quote:
Perreault is not tough enough nor nearly good enough defensively to play on the 3rd or 4th line. It's been done and it failed. Let's move on.

kevinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Why the habs would waste a spot for a rookie with a old veteran who will retire shortly?

so like a previous poster said...

short answer: no

long answer: hell no

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:49 PM
pavlako11

Perreault might find himself on another NHL club, but I don't know how someone can dominate with a 60% average, he still loses 40% of the draws. He's first in the league but I'd rather have someone that can lose a draw and defend even if he only wins 50% of the draws.

He scored a lot of points, but how many were when Legwand was out of the lineup? how many were with Kariya or Sullivan on his line? (ok this last part are serious questions, I'm not trying to be sarcastic).

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Perreault or Ribeiro

Sammy - Perreault - Kovalev

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Next Best Thing*

Ribeiro no contest.

He has superb vision and demonstrated he can be carried really really well by Kovy

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote