HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban's play since coming back

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
danyhabsfan

vCash: 500
How was Subban tonight?

I thought he was solid.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
How was Subban tonight?

I thought he was solid.
Great. Finally got some ice too, 25 mins. Goal, assist, 7 shots... very good.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Noob616

Excellent game from PK tonight.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
Excellent game from PK tonight.
and the thing is... he still had his 3-4 mistakes by trying to do too much. They didn't lead to direct goals, but 2 of them led to solid scoring chances.

both times, MT leaves him on despite changing the forwards (and once he even changed the other dman).

It's that kind of apparoach Subban needs, and that JM couldn't not understand.

Fix the problems at practice, in the video sessions, teach the kid how to be more conservative when he needs to be, but don't stick it to him in the middle of games when he's otherwise playing his arse off and is the best player on the ice.

a- he's helping the team far more than hurting it
b- last thing you want to do is kill his creativity

We are lucky the recent contract stand-off finished so favourably for us... he's playing like a 5-6M$ dman (maybe more if you're talking UFA market), and we have him for 1/2 that this year and next!

MB played some serious russian roulette, and won... good for us! a year from now it will be time to open the vault and get the long-term deal done.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:23 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Great. Finally got some ice too, 25 mins. Goal, assist, 7 shots... very good.
He got 26 in Boston too.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:33 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The only thing that annoyed me yesterday was Subban's lack mobility on the powerplay - either 5 on 4 or on 3.

When he has the puck, He doesn't move. He just remains there an consider.

Not cool Subby; you should keep it moving around
while true, he took better decision with the puck though, no winding up like crazy or fake shots, he was moving the puck. Huge difference compared to earlier this season or even previous seasons - on the PP.

next step : doing th same 5 on 5, move the puck faster, kids got a good 1st pass, time to use it more IMO, even though it means it wont be as spectacular.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:57 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
while true, he took better decision with the puck though, no winding up like crazy or fake shots, he was moving the puck. Huge difference compared to earlier this season or even previous seasons - on the PP.

next step : doing th same 5 on 5, move the puck faster, kids got a good 1st pass, time to use it more IMO, even though it means it wont be as spectacular.
Oh, I believe he was much better yesterday on the PP. He kept the puck immobilized much, much less and.. well, he did get 2 points

Old
03-06-2013, 03:47 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Oh, I believe he was much better yesterday on the PP. He kept the puck immobilized much, much less and.. well, he did get 2 points
and that's the key IMO when you are a player with a good to great skillset. Especially when one of those tools is speed, passing will always be faster than taking a puck from end to end, moving the puck left and right in the o-zone will always be faster than faking shot or winding up "overhead". Sure you can do those winding and faking once in a while, but it has to be a surprise move, so to speak, for it to work well. And until the last few games (maybe 6 or 7 I'd say), those surprise move were predictable, and by playing that way we was (sort of) bringing himself down to the level of lesser players.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:25 AM
DAChampion

Any speculation on why Therrien increased Subban's ice time?

Did it happen at exactly the game that Diaz was pulled from the lineup?

Old
03-06-2013, 05:55 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
and the thing is... he still had his 3-4 mistakes by trying to do too much. They didn't lead to direct goals, but 2 of them led to solid scoring chances.

both times, MT leaves him on despite changing the forwards (and once he even changed the other dman).

It's that kind of approach Subban needs, and that JM couldn't not understand.
That's exactly it. Martin wanted them to play no risk no reward hockey. Sit back, don't hit, don't score, play defence. Of course it is impossible to win that way.

Subban picks his spots. He loses the puck a few times per game but rarely in a bad spot and it rarely leads to goals. He creates chances when his moves succeed.

I haven't seen people blowing by Emelin for goals as frequently, either.

Martin reminds me of Dilbert's pointy haired boss: "if we cut costs enough we can make a profit without selling any products."

Subban is doing fine. Bouillon was not good last night, or maybe Kaberle was puttin him in tough spots. The habs will be better if Diaz and Bourque get back, and when they bring in a couple of big D-men who can play. Subban is a keeper but everyone else is going to have to fight for spots the next few years.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
That's exactly it. Martin wanted them to play no risk no reward hockey. Sit back, don't hit, don't score, play defence. Of course it is impossible to win that way.

Subban picks his spots. He loses the puck a few times per game but rarely in a bad spot and it rarely leads to goals. He creates chances when his moves succeed.

I haven't seen people blowing by Emelin for goals as frequently, either.

Martin reminds me of Dilbert's pointy haired boss: "if we cut costs enough we can make a profit without selling any products."

Subban is doing fine. Bouillon was not good last night, or maybe Kaberle was puttin him in tough spots. The habs will be better if Diaz and Bourque get back, and when they bring in a couple of big D-men who can play. Subban is a keeper but everyone else is going to have to fight for spots the next few years.
Don't know what you're talking about regarding Martin.
PK was being held back less than now.
The PK you grew to love, the one that excited you, the one that was pesty, that got under your opponent's skin, that was on the highlight reel every night for a spectacular play or hit, that was under Martin.
It's not because he was scratched for 2-3 games that Martin was holding him back.
The one thing Martin said about PK was that he needed to work on his timing, and not take unnecessary risks (like trying to skate with the puck when you're the last man out).

Therrien is doing the same except PK is cutting down on the risk a lot, lot more. He's also not being pesty, at all.

All in all, he's playing great. All that matters is that wtv they decide to do with PK, it ends up benefiting him and the team. So far, so good.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 2100
Both Markov and Subban are top 5 for goals among D (3rd for Markov, 5th for Subban), and top 15 in pts among D (8th for Markov, 13th for Subban)

Old
03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Megaforce

I love PK but I thought he was totally out of position on one of the late goals, he went into left corner (the other defenceman's side) and White, I believe, was forced to try to watch a guy in front of the net, even tho he didn't have time to get body position.

Subban must've fallen down in the corner or something off camera because even after the goal was scored there was no sign of Subban skating towards the net to try to get back. Anybody else notice this? Seemed a bit hyper on his part.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Pk was brilliant in both zone in the first 5 or 6 games this season, and he is still great offensively, but he's been pretty bad defensively the last couple of weeks. Nothing that can't be corrected, but he seems more nervous with the puck than usual to me.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:47 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Pk was brilliant in both zone in the first 5 or 6 games this season, and he is still great offensively, but he's been pretty bad defensively the last couple of weeks. Nothing that can't be corrected, but he seems more nervous with the puck than usual to me.
"bad" is a stretch. But besides maybe Diaz....all our dmen have been BAD in their own zone.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:38 PM
StellerEller

vCash: 351
PK's increase in TOI is a nice thing to see. Simply because it should lead to Markov getting more rest. Hopefully PK can just be a bit more poised in his own end, but otherwise he's becoming the consistent offensive threat we all want him to be.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
PK's increase in TOI is a nice thing to see. Simply because it should lead to Markov getting more rest. Hopefully PK can just be a bit more poised in his own end, but otherwise he's becoming the consistent offensive threat we all want him to be.
Impossible, MT is destroying him... didnt you know?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
DuRoux

There was a lot of talk that Markov disliked him, but is it me or I never see Markov as happy as when PK score on one of his assist? I am sure someone can dig up a few celebration.

Not wanting to restart the so called controversy but it just hit me every time I see a PK goal.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:19 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

You're right Duroux. Against NYI, Markov came behind him and gave him a huge hug from behind...but then again he was clearly trying to choke him out.

Super-Subban prevailed.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Kingbobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuRoux View Post
There was a lot of talk that Markov disliked him, but is it me or I never see Markov as happy as when PK score on one of his assist? I am sure someone can dig up a few celebration.

Not wanting to restart the so called controversy but it just hit me every time I see a PK goal.
i dont think there was any dislike
ex habs players (darche, gill) have dispelled these rumors
I think players were just annoyed with being questioned about pk all the time and over doing the "team first" attitude to the point it became an act for the media at the start of the season so they can establish it

PK did what he should of done.
Came in after a hold out, shut his mouth, bought into the system and became one of 23. He integrated himself in the team and proved he wasnt a primadona.

The guys like him. He's fun to be around, he gets things going on the ice and is professional and always giving 100%. They all knew this team would be better with him.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Montreal Shadow

Strong showing so far from Subban. Great puckmover and he's so good at shielding the puck and making the first pass. I'm always amazed at the ways he finds a way to pass to the open man even though he receives a crappy pass or finds himself in an awkward angle/position. The way he spins and controls the puck is simply ridiculous. He's now really good on the defensive side and I hope he keeps improving. Best Dman so far this season.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:30 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

15pts in 18 games.

Bust.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:40 PM
hockeyfan2k11

It feels good when you're right. He's been getting more ice time and has been playing great hockey.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It feels good when you're right. He's been getting more ice time and has been playing great hockey.
Yup, he's been great. Nice to see his playing time going up.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
15pts in 18 games.

Bust.
I hope nobody ever considered him as a bust. This dude has been a machine since he's in the NHL.

Closed Thread