HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 06:28 AM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
They do it by developing a strong core, and surrounding that core with players in a supporting role. We're still in the process of building our core here in Florida. We have some nice pieces on the NHL team right now, but there needs to be more added to it, particularly in the top 6. Considering there are about 5 forwards in this years draft who seem like sure fire top 6 guys (Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, and Monahan) and others who could be top 6 guys if developed correctly (Nichushkin, Gauthier, Erne, Duclair, Mantha, among others) it makes sense for some fans to hope we tank and trade off some pieces for draft picks. This seems like a lost season with all the injuries anyway, unless the kids turn this around.

If I'm Tallon, I'd listen to offers for everyone on the current roster but the kids (Huberdeau, Shore, Gudbranson, Markstrom, and Robak). I'd call up Howden and Petrovic (when he gets healthy) from San Antonio to get them some experience. I'd sign a few undrafted NCAA free agents and give them a look at the NHL level, hoping to unearth the next Garrison/Conacher. The future is now and it's time to sit back and watch the young guys grow.
That makes sense. Players in the top 6 definitely have a better chance of becoming special players at the NHL level. From an intellectual standpoint, I guess I understand. With our record and current roster, ultimately a top 6 pick would be more advantageous... but, personally, I just can't do it. Come puck drop I'm thinking about the 1st round of the playoffs, not 1st round of the draft.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:48 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Unless your team mascot is a flightless aquatic bird, noone sets out to tank.

On the other hand every GM worth his salt is out to acquire talent.

If you can make the team better next year and years to come at the expense of a season that's already lost.... that's just smart asset management.

Let the kids carry the flag. Looks like they are ready.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLordStanley View Post
I understand that its hard as a fan to want your team to lose, but in the end when its all said and done, getting a 1st overall pick beats the hell out of losing in the 1st round or finishing 10th in the conference. On the bright side, its a shortened season which means less suffering for Panthers fans. Next year will be much better.
I think it depends on which way you look at it as. On one hand, you have a chance to draft a top prospect. I, personally don't know the players and who they are comparable too, but it seems as though they are noteworthy. The downside is that, that prospect will probably be in the system for at least a season to get experience at a professional level (unless they are one of the few prospects already NHL ready)
One the other hand, you have a chance to make the post season and further the success of the franchise. While this season has been laughable at best, we do have a lot of brightspots in Huberdeau-Shore-Mueller line, Markstrom, Kopecky, and Robak. I think if the Panthers did a 180 and somehow made it to the post season, it would be a great accomplishment for the season. It will bring in more revenue. It will bring our youth some playoff experience,as well as help guys like Kulikov and Gudbranson further their playoff experience. I believe it will be talked about in the NHL world as the bottom team clawing their way back into the playoffs. Who knows what happens once the team makes the playoffs. Maybe certain players make it back onto the team. Maybe Tallon adds a player or two, to help with the playoff push. Maybe,just maybe, the team makes it into the 2nd round.
I just think there is more to be said about a team that made it to the post season,not once but twice, in years where no one expected anything from them.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Sorry, we are tanking first!

Funny how this conversation is mirrored in about 10 different team forums.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:49 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I think it depends on which way you look at it as. On one hand, you have a chance to draft a top prospect. I, personally don't know the players and who they are comparable too, but it seems as though they are noteworthy. The downside is that, that prospect will probably be in the system for at least a season to get experience at a professional level (unless they are one of the few prospects already NHL ready)
One the other hand, you have a chance to make the post season and further the success of the franchise. While this season has been laughable at best, we do have a lot of brightspots in Huberdeau-Shore-Mueller line, Markstrom, Kopecky, and Robak. I think if the Panthers did a 180 and somehow made it to the post season, it would be a great accomplishment for the season. It will bring in more revenue. It will bring our youth some playoff experience,as well as help guys like Kulikov and Gudbranson further their playoff experience. I believe it will be talked about in the NHL world as the bottom team clawing their way back into the playoffs. Who knows what happens once the team makes the playoffs. Maybe certain players make it back onto the team. Maybe Tallon adds a player or two, to help with the playoff push. Maybe,just maybe, the team makes it into the 2nd round.
I just think there is more to be said about a team that made it to the post season,not once but twice, in years where no one expected anything from them.
Also, the simple fact that making the playoffs brings in the fans and the crowd (money and attention). I have noticed the attention the Cats gained from last years playoff appearance. There are more fans and talk about us. Plus free agents and prospects want to be in a winning environment.

I am the first one to say i would rather tank this year just because its a shorten crap season, but the more we hit the playoffs the more we spread our name and gain respect. Plus we have so much depth that i believe we need that superstar to really put us on that map. Drafting 1-3 can do that for you.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
luby3131

It all really depends. The trade deadline is in a month. If we get on a hot streak and string together a few wins in a row, the plan changes. But if we continue to lose games and to sit in last place in the division (if not the conference) by the time April 3rd rolls around, there will be some changes. There's no reason not to give veterans a chance to go to a contender while stockpiling some picks in a deep draft.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Sorry, we are tanking first!

Funny how this conversation is mirrored in about 10 different team forums.
There's room for everyone.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:55 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Like this post my friend. Most are begging for a top 5 pick and that's their opinion but no draft pick is a guarantee. So many first rounders play a couple seasons and flounder and there's some that make an impact. I'd rather have a team come together and push for the playoffs and build team chemistry instead of wait for the draft for a solution to the problem.

Tallon will be evaluating all the way up to the deadline and if we have a shot at the playoffs then he will make decisions to help us get back there. If we don't have a chance then some guys may get moved, either way I trust in Tallon. I understand alot of experts have written us of but the game last night proved we are not done with this season, we still have 25 games left and are 5pts out of 8th and 8pts out of 3rd.

I know if we win 5 of the next 8, the "tankers" will quiet down and beg for Tallon to make some moves to help us reach the playoffs. I must admit the draft is loaded with picks but it is every year and there are hidden gems found late in the 1st round as well as in the 5th or 6th rounds.

I say we keep clawing our way forward, get some key players healthy like Kuli and Versteeg and let the youngsters lead the way, I'm keeping the dream alive of back to back Southeast titles. If we do push into the playoffs, #9 may consider another couple years here which I would welcome.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Tuco

Keep the tank going...

Old
03-07-2013, 03:33 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Keep the tank going...
Hold on a sec.....

Old
03-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Keep the tank going...
I'm sorry but someone just called up wearing #35 is putting a halt to that. See below:

Old
03-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813

Old
03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Columbus wins in overtime.
Washington destroys us.
Rangers win, Islanders get a point.
Buffalo gets a point.

-ghoste

Old
03-07-2013, 08:47 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Columbus wins in overtime.
Washington destroys us.
Rangers win, Islanders get a point.
Buffalo gets a point.

-ghoste
We will finish last...

and lose the draft lottery to a team that wants a forward...

that's how good at losing we are!

Old
03-07-2013, 08:54 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
We will finish last...

and lose the draft lottery to a team that wants a forward...

that's how good at losing we are!
Could you imagine losing to Edmonton that woulld suck. It would be the Panther's luck.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I'm sorry but someone just called up wearing #35 is putting a halt to that. See below:

I think Markstrom just got ran over tonight

Old
03-07-2013, 09:09 PM
HockeyRulez
Lets Go Panthers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Was thinking the same

Old
03-07-2013, 09:11 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
I hear the kid's got a lot of confidence.

That's good...

He's gonna need it this year.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:59 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
For all of you whiners complaining about two year contracts for a couple of vets, this is what happens when you rush the kids into the big show.

Last edited by JP Mick: 03-08-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Drunk.
Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
This was not the game to post that after.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
This was not the game to post that after.
I posted it before in other thread but it got deleted

Old
03-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

We are back at it!! Team wasnt ready but all other were..

Tank and get McKinnon.

Markstrom might steal us a few but he is still in the learning process. I expect our team to have a few more of these nights especially with our Defense collapsing at times.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:45 AM
SufferingCatFan

It is no longer in doubt. We have a rookie goalie now playing in front of a decimated defense populated with AHL call-ups. Due to injuries, we are also missing 5 of our top nine forwards and understandably cannot score goals.

At this point, we need to recognize that "winning now" is not an option. Indeed, even if we try to win as many games as possible, we still likely end up with a top 5 pick. We are that bad...

Old
03-08-2013, 08:31 AM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
I like how there's no talk of ruining Huberdeau by having him in a bad situation. He's really flourishing and making the team his own.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:56 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
I like how there's no talk of ruining Huberdeau by having him in a bad situation. He's really flourishing and making the team his own.
Well, Huberdeau was a year too young for the AHL. He stated that he felt "too old" on the Sea Dogs late last year. He wasn't as comfortable after Gauthier, Phillips, Jurco and Roussel left. I think, like you said, Huberdeau is flourishing and making the team his own. Haven't seen too many prospects come through here that has made an instant impact like him. I like what has happened so far in terms of Huberdeau adapting to the speed of the NHL. DT drafted him because of his character and mental toughness too. Kid's a true pro.

Closed Thread