HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL and NHLPA approve re-alignment

Old
03-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
It has irked me quite a bit over the years to see Pavel or Hank be on the receiving end of a cheap shot or excessive post-whistle shenanigans and VERY rarely would anyone step in and even try to break it up, let alone challenge the other team's player. I'd love to see that change, but looking at our roster now and kids on the way up, that doesn't seem to be in the cards barring a trade or FA move.
Philly and Pens fans say the exact same thing. Exactly. I've seen it numerous times in their threads after a star players gets nailed.

I think that's just the new NHL. Enforcers can't keep your star player from getting hit. Like I said earlier, this might have been relevant during the clutch and grab era, but I just don't see it as all that pressing in today's game.

I wonder what Mickey and Don Cherry think though.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:46 PM
JRB86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Orr and Maclaren will be tough to handle I got to admit.

Time to get Engelland or McGratton

JRB86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:50 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB86 View Post
Time to get Engelland or McGratton
Wouldn't say no to Engelland as a 6th/7th D

mindfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Philly and Pens fans say the exact same thing. Exactly. I've seen it numerous times in their threads after a star players gets nailed.

I think that's just the new NHL. Enforcers can't keep your star player from getting hit. Like I said earlier, this might have been relevant during the clutch and grab era, but I just don't see it as all that pressing in today's game.

I wonder what Mickey and Don Cherry think though.
Oh Lord, get a few (more than usual) bourbons in Mick and I'm sure he'd almost have a stroke while saying how he hates much of the game today!

I can see Pens fans complaining b/c their top 6 is pretty tame (even including that little rat ******* Kunitz). But Philly has a fair # of guys who may not be heavyweights but will go if they have to. Hartnell and Simmonds (really like that guy's game and size) wouldn't let something cheap done to Giroux go unanswered.

I agree that enforcers are pretty much dinosaurs at this point- can't really have a roster spot if fighting is the sum total of your contributions. But I definitely think there's a place for guys to stick up for their teammates, and ideally you'd have a guy on a line with a star player to at least step in and break up the rough stuff.

Remember Marchand using Sedin's face as a speedbag in the SCF's? As an unabashed Marchand fan, I loved that. But I can see that happening to Z or D next year and nobody doing anything about it (I think Pavel would go with the guy, but I'm not sure about Z). And even if a penalty is called, our PP is pretty much impotent. That's where I see value in having a guy on the ice with your stars (again, no goons) who lets the other teams know that stuff won't fly.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Oh Lord, get a few (more than usual) bourbons in Mick and I'm sure he'd almost have a stroke while saying how he hates much of the game today!

I agree that enforcers are pretty much dinosaurs at this point- can't really have a roster spot if fighting is the sum total of your contributions. But I definitely think there's a place for guys to stick up for their teammates, and ideally you'd have a guy on a line with a star player to at least step in and break up the rough stuff.

Remember Marchand using Sedin's face as a speedbag in the SCF's? As an unabashed Marchand fan, I loved that. But I can see that happening to Z or D next year and nobody doing anything about it (I think Pavel would go with the guy, but I'm not sure about Z). And even if a penalty is called, our PP is pretty much impotent. That's where I see value in having a guy on the ice with your stars (again, no goons) who lets the other teams know that stuff won't fly.
I think Boston is the only team I'd actually worry about. The other ones are paper tigers of sorts when it comes to the "physical" aspects, because their best players aren't actually physical at all (the point of my post about Gaborik doing fine in the East). But Boston's best player, Chara, is a monster and he plays the whole damn game. So that helps them a lot.

I'm not against adding grit, but adding a bunch of bottom 6 bangers isn't going to change a thing. The guys you're bringing up, Marchand, Lucic, etc... they also are pretty great at hockey. I'd be all for adding those level players, who wouldn't, but the guys like Engelland (suggested here) playing 12 minutes a night? Ehhh.

I don't buy it, but we'll see how it shakes out. I think it will be VERY interesting to see what happens when the divisions must fight for a spot. We might see divisions entering into arms races.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

Leafs fan here, welcome home! We've always had a very underrated and under appreciated rivalry that never got much publicity outside of Detroit and Toronto, especially considering how dead it was due to the fact that we'd only face each other once a season. Hopefully, this reignites our classic rivalry

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:04 PM
JRB86

I hear Georges Laraque is attempting to make a comeback

JRB86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB86 View Post
I hear Georges Laraque is attempting to make a comeback
Avery is available too. We'll fish his skates out of the Hudson.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
I think Boston is the only team I'd actually worry about. The other ones are paper tigers of sorts when it comes to the "physical" aspects, because their best players aren't actually physical at all (the point of my post about Gaborik doing fine in the East). But Boston's best player, Chara, is a monster and he plays the whole damn game. So that helps them a lot.

I'm not against adding grit, but adding a bunch of bottom 6 bangers isn't going to change a thing. The guys you're bringing up, Marchand, Lucic, etc... they also are pretty great at hockey. I'd be all for adding those level players, who wouldn't, but the guys like Engelland (suggested here) playing 12 minutes a night? Ehhh.

I don't buy it, but we'll see how it shakes out. I think it will be VERY interesting to see what happens when the divisions must fight for a spot. We might see divisions entering into arms races.
Totally with you that changing up the bottom 6 a ton won't help much, but I would like to see more snarl down there in the lineup. That would be far easier to fix/shake up than adding a top 6 guy with grit (guy like Perry, Horton at times), b/c those bottom 6 guys are a dime a dozen.

I'm thinking that KH should be looking to change up the look of the top 6 by bringing in a physical guy who can score. Kinda feel that just like the bottom 6 is filled with redundant guys right now, the current top 6 and group of top prospects is pretty redundant with finesse guys lacking sandpaper in their games. There will be a logjam soon of talented skilled guys waiting for a spot in the top 9 and not enough seats for everyone, so I'm hoping KH proactively makes some deals to import some scoring grit b/c we apparently haven't been able to draft it.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Darkhorse1280

Leaf fan here welcoming you guys where you belong.

See ya soon.

Darkhorse1280 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Garbs

Welcome home, old friend.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Shoalzie

It'll almost feel like being an all new league...I'm excited. Seeing Montreal, Toronto and Boston more often will be great.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Totally with you that changing up the bottom 6 a ton won't help much, but I would like to see more snarl down there in the lineup. That would be far easier to fix/shake up than adding a top 6 guy with grit (guy like Perry, Horton at times), b/c those bottom 6 guys are a dime a dozen.

I'm thinking that KH should be looking to change up the look of the top 6 by bringing in a physical guy who can score. Kinda feel that just like the bottom 6 is filled with redundant guys right now, the current top 6 and group of top prospects is pretty redundant with finesse guys lacking sandpaper in their games. There will be a logjam soon of talented skilled guys waiting for a spot in the top 9 and not enough seats for everyone, so I'm hoping KH proactively makes some deals to import some scoring grit b/c we apparently haven't been able to draft it.
Bertuzzi isn't enough for you?

Perry or Horton would be perfect. Odds are extremely low, but I think you're right it would really help out.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Bertuzzi isn't enough for you?
Ah, big Bert... he's provided the same amount of intimidation and grit from the pressbox this season as he did on the ice the last few years.

You know, sometimes a rum and Coke sounds fantastic, but every so often I open up the 2 liter and find the Coke to be flat after I've already mixed the drink (and I'm not about to waste the rum after watching yet another game with 11 and 8 playing with Datsyuk ). So I drink it anyway, but that Coke just isn't what I wanted or what it used to be.

Bert is basically a 2 liter of flat Coke. With a bad back.

Quote:
Perry or Horton would be perfect. Odds are extremely low, but I think you're right it would really help out.
Ironically enough, I think I'm right, also. Great minds think alike

I would LOVE to get either guy, but agree that the odds are low. Either would probably require a level of aggressiveness in the market that KH isn't willing to show.

Last edited by Brick Top: 03-07-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old
03-07-2013, 09:04 PM
PredsFanFromla

Goodbye Detroit Red Wings,Thanks for letting the preds beat ya'll guys in the playoffs last post-season

PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:12 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post
Goodbye Detroit Red Wings,Thanks for letting the preds beat ya'll guys in the playoffs last post-season
Au revoir Nashville.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Likewise, thanks for letting us beat you with two ancient goalies on the way to a cup!

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

I do like that we have Tootoo just in time to go east. I don't need to see two guys in a standup fight; if he wants to bullrush the other team's goon in the legs and bring them down to send him to the box for 5 minutes, it works for me.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:22 PM
we like our team

now we get to deal with annoying leafs and habs fans! wahey!

we like our team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:22 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
See you twice a year, with Weber's contract I am guessing that will be all. Oh by the way enjoy booing Suter this weekend.

Love how excited Detroit and Toronto fans are to get this thing back going. Have missed those games, good to be back with our biggest rival.

Nice to see they are happy to have us back and we can get back to hating each other real soon.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 03-07-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Suter
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:24 PM
theYman

Can't wait for the realignment. More games to go to closer to me.

Last edited by theYman: 03-07-2013 at 09:30 PM.
theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by braille View Post
now we get to deal with annoying leafs and habs fans! wahey!
Better than Chicago and St. Louis. The new divisions fans might annoy me, but at least 95% of their fanbase actually knows hockey.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:27 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Better than Chicago and St. Louis. The new divisions fans might annoy me, but at least 95% of their fanbase actually knows hockey.
Larry Murphy doesn't agree with you.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:29 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Larry Murphy doesn't agree with you.
That is how I know I am correct. Murphy did say tonight he is excited for all of the original six matchups so I don't know if what you're saying is correct anyway. But outside of when Murphy talks about how great Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom are I don't know that I ever agree with that guy.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:33 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Welcome home, old friend.
The Eastern Conference is like the world's most comfortable chair...

sarcastro is online now   Reply With Quote