HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 07:44 PM
RezChi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
Well, Alex Friesen won a similar OHL vote for the top PKer, best on faceoffs, and best defensive forward.

He's having trouble making any impact (defensive or otherwise) at the AHL level because he's slow and small. Cody has the offensive talent at least to mitigate his defensive shortcomings.

I'd have to also say that you're incredibly optimistic if you think his floor is perennial all-star. That's like saying that you can't foresee a scenario where he isn't at or near Crosby level.
NHL All-star= Crosby level? wtf?

To this day, I still don't get this trade. Our main players are getting older, but yet we went out to get a player "with potential" but still haven't improved much and isn't contributing a lot. While the player we sent away is contributing offensively and decent PKer

Old
03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezChi View Post
and decent PKer
Our PK blows this season and it's still ranked higher than the Sabres right now.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Right, so he's useless to this core.

might as well have dumped Hodgson for a 4th liner and a pick.
He is he useless to this core? He won't be a pillar of the core right now, niether would Hodgson have been, but he will still be a productive secondary player.

Really doesn't matter anyways, not like this team has it in them to win a cup anyways, atleast under this coaching.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:13 PM
RezChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
He is he useless to this core? He won't be a pillar of the core right now, niether would Hodgson have been, but he will still be a productive secondary player.

Really doesn't matter anyways, not like this team has it in them to win a cup anyways, atleast under this coaching.
Excellent point

Old
03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Hank didn't get his daddy to complain to Nonis about how much Marc Crawford was so mean to him and his brother and wouldn't give them the increased icetime when they were clearly outplaying the WCE (eventually Crawford "saw the light").

They kept their mouths shut (that includes NOT getting others to **** on their behalf) & paid their dues. That's being a professional.
I swore I wasn't going to post in this absurd thread but I want to agree with this post.

Want to know where the Sedins were until age 25? Planted on the 3rd then 2nd line

Want to know where Kesler was at age 22? Planted on the third line (or injured of course)

Hansen? 3rd /4th line

Raymond 3rd /fourth line /benched/ manitoba. Take your pick.

Edler? 1/2 Manitoba 1/2 sheltered minutes.

Burrows? In Manitoba I believe if at all. Still playing ball hockey?

Schneider ? Buried in Manitoba.

Schroeder? Trying to battle the mightly Andrew Ebbet for the 13th forward spot.

Hodgson ? Ready to SLASH HIS WRISTS if he doesnt get Kesler / Sedins minutes and power play time.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
Lol. We thought he was 1st line talent...
And I thought it was just other fan bases who overrated their prospects.

Good trade. A good fit for both sides.
It isn't simply about 'winning' a trade.
You can't simply measure in points totals either.

Sacrifice a bit of pure offensive skill, for other attributes.
Which is a greater need?
A Hartnell/Clowe type or a Roy/Connolly type?
Ryan Clowe has no goals this year.

This is what happens when u try to get big. I can't stand it. I can't stand having lack of skill and offebse.

Originally, MG built this team like Detroit and its been a disaster ever since he wNted to get big

Old
03-07-2013, 09:12 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Um.

Ask 29 NHL GMs who'd they rather have, 29 will say Cody Hodgson. Vancouver very clearly lost this deal.
The players know it too. Remember what Perry yelled ?

Old
03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I swore I wasn't going to post in this absurd thread but I want to agree with this post.

Want to know where the Sedins were until age 25? Planted on the 3rd then 2nd line

Want to know where Kesler was at age 22? Planted on the third line (or injured of course)

Hansen? 3rd /4th line

Raymond 3rd /fourth line /benched/ manitoba. Take your pick.

Edler? 1/2 Manitoba 1/2 sheltered minutes.

Burrows? In Manitoba I believe if at all. Still playing ball hockey?

Schneider ? Buried in Manitoba.

Schroeder? Trying to battle the mightly Andrew Ebbet for the 13th forward spot.

Hodgson ? Ready to SLASH HIS WRISTS if he doesnt get Kesler / Sedins minutes and power play time.
Burrows was in the ECHL for years in his early 20s.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
CanucksSayEh

Cody is a guy you want to have in the playoffs. Not only is he a center, and valuble to depth in the case of injuries, he has that lethal shot when space is limited. He burries his chances.

While I like Kass, his mold is being mis-diagnosed as the key to a successful cup run. I don't know why, look at the players he's being compared to and hoped to be....

Clowe - 1 playoff run with decent production, sitting around .75ppg(?). Ain't never won ****.

Bertuzzi - Yes the Canucks were just a shining beacon of playoff success with Todd at the helm. Spent the better part of a decade here, 24 playoff games, 14 points....

Lucic - lol, definition of a playoff dud. Lucky to score 2 points per series.

It's like this team is just half-assing every move it makes. We don't have an identity anymore, nothing to push for and perfect. Canucks are lost and get by purely on the backs of goaltending and the Sedins.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:28 PM
RezChi

I still don't get all this Hodgson hate because he apparently DEMANDED for more minutes or that he wanted OUT because he wasn't getting them. Where is that actual proof that he said any of that?

Old
03-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezChi View Post
I still don't get all this Hodgson hate because he apparently DEMANDED for more minutes or that he wanted OUT because he wasn't getting them. Where is that actual proof that he said any of that?
There isn't any. And if Mike Gillis had to spend more time on Hodgson's "issues", maybe it's because his coach publicly questioned this players character and integrity.

Or have we all forgotten about that little sordid episode?

Old
03-07-2013, 09:34 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
There isn't any. And if Mike Gillis had to spend more time on Hodgson's "issues", maybe it's because his coach publicly questioned this players character and integrity.

Or have we all forgotten about that little sordid episode?
AV's a pompous dick, we all know it. Doesn't mean that Gillis didn't have to deal with Hodgson's camp bemoaning icetime. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Bleach Clean

Putting this out there: Maybe Hodgson did well here, and elsewhere, _because_ he didn't follow the offensive game plan set out here... Something to think about.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:42 PM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Putting this out there: Maybe Hodgson did well here, and elsewhere, _because_ he didn't follow the offensive game plan set out here... Something to think about.
If not scoring after gaining a lead is our game plan, then yea it's interesting.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:45 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
Cody is a guy you want to have in the playoffs. Not only is he a center, and valuble to depth in the case of injuries, he has that lethal shot when space is limited. He burries his chances.

While I like Kass, his mold is being mis-diagnosed as the key to a successful cup run. I don't know why, look at the players he's being compared to and hoped to be....

Clowe - 1 playoff run with decent production, sitting around .75ppg(?). Ain't never won ****.

Bertuzzi - Yes the Canucks were just a shining beacon of playoff success with Todd at the helm. Spent the better part of a decade here, 24 playoff games, 14 points....

Lucic - lol, definition of a playoff dud. Lucky to score 2 points per series.

It's like this team is just half-assing every move it makes. We don't have an identity anymore, nothing to push for and perfect. Canucks are lost and get by purely on the backs of goaltending and the Sedins.
That may be the most depressing yet true posts I've ever read.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:52 PM
umad

Eh, you can't win all of the trades.

But sure could use him right now knowing Kesler is gonna play like 10 games per season.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:01 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by umad View Post
Eh, you can't win all of the trades.

But sure could use him right now knowing Kesler is gonna play like 10 games per season.
I love Kassian, but yeah, if I had a crystal ball I'd have kept Hodgson knowing Kesler couldn't stay healthy.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:15 PM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
I love Kassian, but yeah, if I had a crystal ball I'd have kept Hodgson knowing Kesler couldn't stay healthy.
Kesler was hurt before the trade was made. Really no need for the crystal ball.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:17 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Kesler was hurt before the trade was made. Really no need for the crystal ball.
In true Kesler fashion he didn't say anything and continued to play ineffectively, so there you have it.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 PM
ahmon

Once I heard we were rumoured to get Kassian I started to

After a couple mins, I started to think, "hold on, what could we have traded to get a bluechip? no way cody hodgson?????

Then when tsn announced we traded cody hodgson

we lost a clutch offensive player, when this team couldnt' score.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:29 PM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
In true Kesler fashion he didn't say anything and continued to play ineffectively, so there you have it.
I don't expect him to pull himself at a time when it's looking like his job is about to be taken. At some point management needs to take the blinders off and see whats happening with their team. It was pretty apparent from most of the couches this board sits on. Not to mention Manny's injury happened long before the trade and it was clear his days were numbered.

Makes that 2 injured centers during the trade, and it was justified by depth. lol, unbelievable.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:30 PM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Once I heard we were rumoured to get Kassian I started to

After a couple mins, I started to think, "hold on, what could we have traded to get a bluechip? no way cody hodgson?????

Then when tsn announced we traded cody hodgson

we lost a clutch offensive player, when this team couldnt' score.
That thread was hilarious. I'm actually going to go look at it right now. The reactions when we found out that we made a major trade, to getting Kassian but then it all crashing down when we found out it was Hodgson we traded Hilarious thread.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Wizeman*

Hodgson has 21 pts in 25 games. That is 68.888 points in 82 games, if he could keep the pace up that is.

69 points for your first line center also getting scored on more than he scores????

And for those 69 points, you have to what? Put him up with the Sedins to create this?

Anyways, for these magic 69 points, how much abuse from his dad do you expect to take this offseason for his big payday contract.

How much would Gillis have put up with whining for tons of MONEY now. lol .

5 mil ? 6 mil ? Hey, hes got 69 points right? Hes a super star.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:50 PM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Hodgson has 21 pts in 25 games. That is 68.888 points in 82 games, if he could keep the pace up that is.

69 points for your first line center also getting scored on more than he scores????

And for those 69 points, you have to what? Put him up with the Sedins to create this?

Anyways, for these magic 69 points, how much abuse from his dad do you expect to take this offseason for his big payday contract.

How much would Gillis have put up with whining for tons of MONEY now. lol .

5 mil ? 6 mil ? Hey, hes got 69 points right? Hes a super star.

Alex Burrows, who actually does play with the Sedins, has never touched that number... and Cody is a sophomore, playing on a garbage team. Grasp at all the straws you want and exaggerate off of Gillis' words, words only made under duress.

Theres no way to spin this as a win for us. It's not just the head to head matchup, its the value and current effect on our contending team.

It isn't Cody's job to be great defensively, any more than it's the Sedins job. They need to be merely average, a level he will no doubt hit soon. The defending Rocket and Norris winners were criticized for their D zone play, now nobody cares.

Last edited by CanucksSayEh: 03-07-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 12:14 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Alex Burrows, who actually does play with the Sedins, has never touched that number... and Cody is a sophomore, playing on a garbage team.
I heard that Vanek guy he plays with is pretty good.

Closed Thread