HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 09:46 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfareast View Post
How's schiefele doing?
Hope we draft one of the elite forwards this coming draft year.
Good. Barrie has 4'ish days off though, so nothing to report.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Except their ability to consistently rip-off Calgary.
lol now thats funny. Actually I think the leafs are a good model for what the Jets need to be. I cant think of any other good teams that don't really have a legit #1 center. The big part is a rigid defensive system, such as that Carlyle employs. It really burns me seeing him behind the leaf bench.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
lol now thats funny. Actually I think the leafs are a good model for what the Jets need to be. I cant think of any other good teams that don't really have a legit #1 center. The big part is a rigid defensive system, such as that Carlyle employs. It really burns me seeing him behind the leaf bench.
The leafs still aren't a good team. They are sitting right were the the Wild were last year before their collapse. They are one of the worst defensive teams in the league and they are thoroughly outshot almost every night (by the 3rd largest margin in the league) I would wager good money on them missing the playoffs if this was an 82 game season.

Numbers aside, they look awful too. Even the Jets flat out dominated them everywhere but on the scoreboard. They are being carried by goaltending.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:12 PM
jetkarma

The Jets were outworked or as Noel likes to say , the Leafs played with more "urgency". Some players got benched because some coach doesn't like that they keep playing that way.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Scheifele with a goal and an assist in the first period tonight; game in progress...
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/64272

Old
03-07-2013, 07:32 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Scheifele with a goal and an assist in the first period tonight; game in progress...
This makes me wish it were September already.

I really love his progression. He's almost eclipsed his rookie season totals with over 20 less games played.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Scheif scores another; 2 G, 1A so far.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:52 PM
StronGeer
Some say...

vCash: 1337
Scheifele 2G 1A +3 tonight, gets the first star

Old
03-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Scheifele 2G 1A +3 tonight, gets the first star

So since returning to Barrie in early February, Scheifele's played 11 games, has 12 goals, 10 assists (22 points / 2.0 ppg) and has been 1st star 4 times and 2nd star twice (so 1st or 2nd star in 6 of 11 games). He's been held off the scoresheet in 2 games.

Take out that 3 goal, 3 assist night, and he's played 10 games, scored 9 goals, 7 assists (16 points / 1.6 ppg), 3 x 1st star, 2 x 2nd star. Still pretty good.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:21 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
So since returning to Barrie in early February, Scheifele's played 11 games, has 12 goals, 10 assists (22 points / 2.0 ppg) and has been 1st star 4 times and 2nd star twice (so 1st or 2nd star in 6 of 11 games). He's been held off the scoresheet in 2 games.

Take out that 3 goal, 3 assist night, and he's played 10 games, scored 9 goals, 7 assists (16 points / 1.6 ppg), 3 x 1st star, 2 x 2nd star. Still pretty good.
He's basically been on a 2PPG pace since the start of November. Man, I wish he could have played in the A this year.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:22 PM
StronGeer
Some say...

vCash: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
He's basically been on a 2PPG pace since the start of November. Man, I wish he could have played in the A this year.
Good to see he's dominating, as well he should.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:37 PM
amyles
We The North

Scheifele's second goal was the most important goal of the game...it got us fans all free wings

Last edited by amyles: 03-07-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old
03-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyles View Post
Scheifele second goal was the most important goal of the game...it got us fans all free wings
hope he wins a jet fan 1000000 bucks in score and win

Old
03-07-2013, 11:15 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
You guys are drunk if you think Schief will spend more then half a season in the AHL. Kid is too talented and will likely be on the team starting next year.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Hank Chinaski
#FroLO

34 goals and 37 assists in 71 games. That's 1.73 PPG, right on par with Strome (1.77) and Gally (1.85).

I understand the position of those who would've rather drafted Hamilton or Couturier, and I can also appreciate that Scheifele may or may not live up to expectations in the NHL. Can we finally put to rest this notion that he was some kind of insane reach that had no business being drafted at #7? His production speaks for itself.

I'm probably going to start another long and drawn-out Scheifele debate, but I don't really care. I'm just so damn impressed by the improvements he's made, and how he hasn't sulked in the slightest after being sent back. I cheer for all the Jets prospects, but Scheifele really holds a special place in my heart. Can't wait to see him turn into a beast in the NHL.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
34 goals and 37 assists in 71 games. That's 1.73 PPG, right on par with Strome (1.77) and Gally (1.85).

I understand the position of those who would've rather drafted Hamilton or Couturier, and I can also appreciate that Scheifele may or may not live up to expectations in the NHL. Can we finally put to rest this notion that he was some kind of insane reach that had no business being drafted at #7? His production speaks for itself.

I'm probably going to start another long and drawn-out Scheifele debate, but I don't really care. I'm just so damn impressed by the improvements he's made, and how he hasn't sulked in the slightest after being sent back. I cheer for all the Jets prospects, but Scheifele really holds a special place in my heart. Can't wait to see him turn into a beast in the NHL.
Yeah, when you talk about character and hard work and having the right attitude, I think they picked the right guy.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:49 PM
jetkarma

Quote:

41 games though , but yeah he has done everything right and won't be in the AHL for long if at all imo.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:15 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

NHL Equivelancies are REALLY raw/rough/wishywashy, since they don't account for difference in usage (matchups, PP time, OZS, etcetc) or how some games translate better than others... but they still give a rough but best possible estimate of success

Scheifele is doing well his equivalencies are:

AHL (full 76gp) 28G 31A 59PTS
NHL (48 gp) 12G 13A 25PTS
NHL (82 gp) 20G 22A 42PTS

Old
03-08-2013, 04:04 AM
ps241
Jets will fly 4 Ever

Quote:

100% agree.

The key with his skillet and size is his character....We talked allot about character after the Florida game and this kid seems to take on every challenge with the right attitude.

I don't mind if he has a tweener season next season where he splits time between the Jets and Caps.....top six minutes and lots of PP time in the AHL is a big step up from junior and sprinkle in 40 or 50 games in the NHL and it might be exactly what the doctor ordered. that being said I could see him cracking our top 6 at some point next season.

I am really happy with his progress.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:26 AM
roosemoose

I was looking at Adam Lowry yesterday and I really think he is another really good prospect. Adam was drafted in the 3rd round and think he could be a gem for the Jets...Just wondering what you guys think about Adam?

Old
03-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
NHL Equivelancies are REALLY raw/rough/wishywashy, since they don't account for difference in usage (matchups, PP time, OZS, etcetc) or how some games translate better than others... but they still give a rough but best possible estimate of success

Scheifele is doing well his equivalencies are:

AHL (full 76gp) 28G 31A 59PTS
NHL (48 gp) 12G 13A 25PTS
NHL (82 gp) 20G 22A 42PTS
obviously those aren't set in stone by any stretch, but even as a loose reference, that's VERY comforting. 40+ point rookie season is pretty special

Old
03-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
You guys are drunk if you think Schief will spend more then half a season in the AHL. Kid is too talented and will likely be on the team starting next year.
I agree. If Scheifele works out as hard as he did last summer, I really have a hard time thinking he's not on the Jets next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosemoose View Post
I was looking at Adam Lowry yesterday and I really think he is another really good prospect. Adam was drafted in the 3rd round and think he could be a gem for the Jets...Just wondering what you guys think about Adam?
Huge amount of love for Lowry here. It's probably safe to say for prospects we have Scheifele / Trouba, Lowry, and then a gap to everyone else.

I can't wait to see what he can do in the AHL next season.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
There's some discussion of Lowry in this thread, and tons of it in the previous prospects thread (which might be a page or two back by now in the main Jets forum). Have a read - some good links to video, stats, etc. Lots of love for his play this year, for sure.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:24 AM
ps241
Jets will fly 4 Ever

Quote:
He is thought of very highly but I want to see how he does at the next level to figure out where we will slot him in. Telegin looked like he was our top prospect at this time last year but he struggled transitioning to the AHL despite being a great skater and having a big shot. Ivan's challenge was structure and knowing how to play his position. Adam seems to be the polar opposite where I think he will do all the right things to adjust to the next level (AHL or NHL). My hopes are that when we are asset managing him we make sure we maximize his potential.

My fear is that he plays well enough at camp to make the parent club but on the 3rd or 4th line and he becomes a high character bottom 6 roll player. After watching him this year I think he may have a ceiling of a top 6 asset but I think he will need time in the AHL to play PP and top 6 minutes. Being put in the top 6 in the AHL (if he earns it) will place offensive demands on Adam and drive him to adapt his O game at the professional level.

Ryane Clowe has been used as a comparison and if you look at Ryane’s path to the NHL as a kick ass player it took time. Clowe played in a shortened season in his draft year of 2001 and was taken in the 6th round ( 6'2" and 225 pounds). Like Adam he went back to Junior for 2 years where his scoring improved to 1.41 PPG then 1.25 PPG in his last year in the QHL. Then it was off to the AHL for 2 seasons where he went .55 PPG then .83 PPG. In 2005-2006 in his 5th year after the draft he split time between the AHL and NHL. It really wasn't until 6 years after his draft that he really established himself in the NHL and that season he played 58 games for the sharks and had 16 goals 18 assists for 34 points and a .58 PPG average. Ryane really settled into being a very good player in his mid to late 20's establishing himself as a 20 goal scorer and about 55 points per year with 100 PIM's and where a letter on the jersey. Lots to love about Clowe and every team in the NHL could use one of them.

Now I am not saying this is what Adam's path will be at all but it is a cautionary tale that sometimes good things come to those who wait.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
He is thought of very highly but I want to see how he does at the next level to figure out where we will slot him in. Telegin looked like he was our top prospect at this time last year but he struggled transitioning to the AHL despite being a great skater and having a big shot. Ivan's challenge was structure and knowing how to play his position. Adam seems to be the polar opposite where I think he will do all the right things to adjust to the next level (AHL or NHL). My hopes are that when we are asset managing him we make sure we maximize his potential.
I was thinking of posting something similar with regards to the parallel's between Telegin and Lowry coming to the end of their 19 year old seasons in junior.

Lowry's game definitely seems like it's better suited to pro hockey, but both were big strong men imposing their will physically on the other players.

I fully expect Lowry to transition better but it's by no means a guarantee.

Closed Thread