HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Gaborik

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Good for Gabby. Hes an official Islander killer, which wouldve meant a lot more 20-30 years ago.

I thought he wasnt a factor at all in regulation, but hopefully this goal gets him going.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
The man scores some big goals.

03-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Lundsanity30

Gaborik has 16 points in 21 games, and you wouldn't even know it with how Ranger fans treat him. and yes, I know they come in bunches, but he's still producing despite coming off shoulder surgery.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Gaborik has 16 points in 21 games, and you wouldn't even know it with how Ranger fans treat him. and yes, I know they come in bunches, but he's still producing despite coming off shoulder surgery.
Would like to see him play his proper wing. While Torts uses some players , he also tens to completely misutilize them too

Old
03-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

My fantasy league runs on a points system. You get 0.25 points for an SOG. You get 2 points for a G. You get an extra point if it's on the powerplay and another extra if it's a game winner. There are other stats too. These are the relevant ones.

The best players in the league average 4.5 points per game. Gaborik got me 4.25 points on one play tonight

Old
03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Please, tell us about his ability.
Flaw #1: Marian Gaborik has severe technical/range of motion/athleticism limitations. In fact, he might be the least athletic supposedly star player there has ever been. When do you see Gaborik reach up and grab a puck or reach behind him for a puck and rip a wrister.

Scenario A: You place Marian Gaborik between the dots and glue his skates to the ice. You take a bucket of pucks and dump them in front of him. You tell Gaborik to keep the pucks where they are and just start firing them on net from different release points. Now thats a scary sight. Dude has one release point. Why? Because he's built like a tin man. No flexibility, agility, whatever those fancy terms are. He is limited in all those things.

Flaw # 2: He's as soft as a player can possibly be. I know some people think its cliche to bring up, I know some people say "stop hating Euros", I know some people say its not his job to grind, I know some people say look at him go in front of the net to try to score. Just stop. Marian Gaborik is as soft as any player I've ever witnessed.

Exhibit A: 55 seconds into tonights game, Gaborik is skating gingerly back into the defensive zone and gets tripped up. He hits the ice about 3 feet above the faceoff circle and ends up helping himself up off the ice at the freakin' end boards! My jaw literally dropped when it happened. He just doesn't have an ounce of hockey toughness in him. It has nothing to do with size, style of play, etc.

Please ask if you'd like more analysis. I enjoy sharing my perspective.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
My fantasy league runs on a points system. You get 0.25 points for an SOG. You get 2 points for a G. You get an extra point if it's on the powerplay and another extra if it's a game winner. There are other stats too. These are the relevant ones.

The best players in the league average 4.5 points per game. Gaborik got me 4.25 points on one play tonight
That's pretty cool. I'm not sure I like the system though.

You get more points for a PPG than an ESG? Unless you play for the NYR, PPGs are a lot easier to come by than ESGs.

Should be slightly less than an ESG for a PPG and more for a SHG.

I also find giving points for PIM stupid, why give out points for something that 9/10 is detrimental to the team?

How many points did Kaleta get for almost paralyzing Richards?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Lundsanity30

We actually jumped from 30th to 23rd on the PP over the last 4 games lol

Old
03-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkton7 View Post
Flaw #1: Marian Gaborik has severe technical/range of motion/athleticism limitations. In fact, he might be the least athletic supposedly star player there has ever been. When do you see Gaborik reach up and grab a puck or reach behind him for a puck and rip a wrister.

Scenario A: You place Marian Gaborik between the dots and glue his skates to the ice. You take a bucket of pucks and dump them in front of him. You tell Gaborik to keep the pucks where they are and just start firing them on net from different release points. Now thats a scary sight. Dude has one release point. Why? Because he's built like a tin man. No flexibility, agility, whatever those fancy terms are. He is limited in all those things.

Flaw # 2: He's as soft as a player can possibly be. I know some people think its cliche to bring up, I know some people say "stop hating Euros", I know some people say its not his job to grind, I know some people say look at him go in front of the net to try to score. Just stop. Marian Gaborik is as soft as any player I've ever witnessed.

Exhibit A: 55 seconds into tonights game, Gaborik is skating gingerly back into the defensive zone and gets tripped up. He hits the ice about 3 feet above the faceoff circle and ends up helping himself up off the ice at the freakin' end boards! My jaw literally dropped when it happened. He just doesn't have an ounce of hockey toughness in him. It has nothing to do with size, style of play, etc.

Please ask if you'd like more analysis. I enjoy sharing my perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N7lMPgKOCg

Whoops

Old
03-07-2013, 11:08 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Thats not what I mean at all but funny that you found that based on what you think I meant. I guess I didn't explain it well . What I mean is being able to reach behind and wrist a puck. My point being that his only release point is in front of his body. Whereas a guy like Nash or Kovalchuk or pretty much anyone else can drag the puck from behind their back leg and fire it. Sorry for the confusion.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkton7 View Post
Classic example of only caring about production and not being able to evaluate a guys ability.
All we care about is production?

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Gaborik gets paid to put pucks in the net, it doesn't matter how. He doesn't get extra points for style, this ain't diving or gymnastics.

Just to put things in perspective, this is rankings among active players.

Regular season points per game (active)
#17 Marian Gaborik, 0.896

Guess who is behind him
Quote:
Eric Staal, 0.894
Marc Savard, 0.875
Patrik Elias, 0.858
Vincent Lecavalier, 0.844
Henrik Sedin, 0.837
Daniel Sedin, 0.836
Alex Tanguay, 0.833
Martin Havlat, 0.817
Regular season goals (active)
#17 Marian Gaborik, 324

Guess who is behind him
Quote:
Joe Thornton, 324
Martin St. Louis, 323
Petr Sykora, 323
Shane Doan, 318
Todd Bertuzzi, 303
Olli Jokinen, 292
Rick Nash, 289
Simon Gagne, 283
Steve Sullivan, 283
Regular season goals per game (active)
#8 Marian Gaborik, 0.449

Guess who is behind him
Quote:
Jarome Iginla, 0.434
Rick Nash, 0.429
Marian Hossa, 0.426
Thomas Vanek, 0.420
Jeff Carter, 0.391
Eric Staal, 0.389
Corey Perry, 0.387
Henrik Zetterberg, 0.377
Milan Hejduk, 0.3744
Vincent Lecavalier, 0.3737
Jason Spezza, 0.373
Simon Gagne, 0.372
Daniel Alfredsson, 0.368
Martin St. Louis, 0.347
Patrick Marleau, 0.34646
Patrik Elias, 0.34645
Daniel Briere, 0.344
Regular season game-winning goals (active)
#15 Marian Gaborik, 58

Guess who is behind him
Quote:
Ilya Kovalchuk, 55
Alexander Ovechkin, 55
Ryan Smyth, 55

Old
03-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Clearly he has made his career based on luck, which is why we should judge him based on appearance and not on production. Shame on us.

With those goals, though he is crazy lucky. Good think he had Christensen to set him up for all of them on a platter.

(I'm being sarcastic, in case anyone can't tell.)

Old
03-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

gaborik has put up points, scored big goals and won us games, but my gripe with him is he has incredible skills that he and this team doesnt get the most of, maybe its laziness, the way he plays or pucks just not bouncing the right way, personally im just disappointed that he doesnt consistently put up points, or use his speed to consistently be a threat or be as noticeable as he was last season.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:33 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Regular season goals per game (active)
#8 Marian Gaborik, 0.449

Guess who is behind him
This one is huge.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
Old
03-08-2013, 01:41 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
gaborik has put up points, scored big goals and won us games, but my gripe with him is he has incredible skills that he and this team doesnt get the most of, maybe its laziness, the way he plays or pucks just not bouncing the right way, personally im just disappointed that he doesnt consistently put up points, or use his speed to consistently be a threat or be as noticeable as he was last season.
I'm a huge Gabby fan, but I'll admit that he has lost a step on his speed, also his shot doesn't have the same zip it did in years past. And yet he is still an elite NHL scorer.

Where I take issue is when you say he should be as noticeable as last season. He took flak all last season for not being noticeable... and for being inconsistent. It's his game. He's not Nash, he's not Malkin. He has a ninja-style game. It can drive fans crazy, even me, and I love the guy.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:45 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
This one is huge.
it's actually 0.477 as a Ranger coming into this season

Old
03-08-2013, 02:33 AM
NYSportsfan87
Thank You Eli

love him

Old
03-08-2013, 02:53 AM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
contradict yourself much?

Old
03-08-2013, 03:00 AM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayry View Post
gaborik gets paid to put pucks in the net, it doesn't matter how. he doesn't get extra points for style, this ain't diving or gymnastics.
This

And thanks for backing it up with some actual numbers.

Any player who puts up more pts per game than Eric Staal or both Sedins can play on my team any time.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Chimp

Sure, Gaborik is frustrating as a player. But the numbers don't lie. We have worse problems on this team than Gaborik, that's for sure.

That he scores in bunches can be seen both as a positive and a negative. When he scores, odds say we'll win the game. Hopefully that goal will get him going for a while. He needed that and this team needed that.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:17 AM
TriFF51
USA Hockey

He sure does score a lot of OT winners...hope he gets it going now.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:25 AM
vstk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
We actually jumped from 30th to 23rd on the PP over the last 4 games lol
Last 10 games PP% ~25, last 4 games PP% ~35. Can't say it's a problem anymore.

They should try Gaborik on the point more often and tell him to rip it up.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:07 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Sure, Gaborik is frustrating as a player. But the numbers don't lie. We have worse problems on this team than Gaborik, that's for sure.
It's not so much that he isn't potting goals; it's the lethargic effort he gives that is irritating.

He didn't get a goal against the Flyers but that's the Gaborik I want: not being hesitant in shooting the puck and skating.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
The skating part is the biggest issue with me. I don't like when he just idles.

Closed Thread