EO Wild

Alliance:
Elgin
Waterloo

NOHA All Stars
Thunder Bay

Elite Hockey
TPH Thunder

OMHA has yet to be decided... Leaving ten spots up for grabs still (Two Guaranteed from OMHA champs and finalists)
Predicted Teams to fill final ten: Oakville, Barrie, YSE, Whitby, Southern Tier Admirals, LJK Gold, Mississauga Rebels, Toronto Red Wings, Don Mills Flyers, and either Central Ontario, HP/Kitchener, or Halton
Out of Central, Kitchener and Halton I think I'd wanna see Halton.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Tigers1992

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
It will actually be 3 OMHA teams with guarenteed spots. There is also expected to be a third USA team, which if I'm not mistaken will be a Detroit area team.

The Wildcard spots will be very interesting this year. It sounds like if there was ever a year to have one or two less GTHL teams it would be this year. Teams like York-Simcoe, Brampton, Halton needing a Wildcard spot to get in.

Alliance should be interesting.

London Jr. Knights Gold, Kitchener Jr. Rangers, Huron-Perth Lakers and Sun County Panthers would all have good teams for this event.

While London has the best prospects as a whole out of any of those teams, Kitchener and Huron-Perth would both have reasons to be upset about that as they both advanced further. Particularly Kitchener who beat out London in the playoffs. There PROBABLY will be 6 OMHA teams, but thats not confirmed, we still need to see how the selection committee votes.

But if you select Kitchener you have Huron-Perth who went just as far as Kitchener, and won the East Division over Kitchener.

Then, if you take Huron-Perth, while they did finish higher in the standings, Kitchener and London have more to look at in terms of the OHL draft, which is ultimately the purpose for the OHL Cup.

I mention Sun County cause they have plenty of good prospects, but can't see them getting in behind too many good teams.

I can't see them using 3 of the 5 wildcard spots on Alliance teams, so the selection committee is in a no win situation where they're going to upset atleast one if not two Alliance teams.

10/20 teams have been officially entered into the OHL Cup
Toronto Marlboros
Toronto Jr. Canadiens
Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs
Waterloo Wolves
Ottawa Jr. Senators
Eastern Ontario Wild
NOHA All-Stars
Thunder Bay Kings
TPH Thunder (Atlanta Area)
Elite Hockey (New Jersey Area)

Last 10 teams will be announced on Sunday.
There will be 1 Alliance team announced. All due respect to the Alliance, but the OMHA has higher rated prospects, which is what the selection committee looks for. Emails that I have received suggest that there will be 5 GTHL teams, which is lower then we normally see. If also guess, again based on the convo's that I have had, that there will be 6 OMHA teams. Thats not confirmed thou, the selection committee still needs to vote.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 03-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
There will be 1 Alliance team announced. All due respect to the Alliance, but the OMHA has higher rated prospects, which is what the selection committee looks for. Emails that I have received suggest that there will be 5 GTHL teams.
The one alliance team I think is what creates the debate.

I agree the OMHA has some really good teams that will require Wildcard spots deservingly so.

I figured Alliance has one locked in, and I thought they would have a good shot at 2.

It works better for me if there's more OMHA but Kitchener and Huron-Perth both have good enough prospects that they deserve to be in the discussion, but if I had to pick a wildcard Alliance I would say London, because it's a OHL draft showcase, I don't think standings should play nearly as big of a factor with these teams.

GTHL I figured there would be atleast 4, good chance at 5, I believe there were 6 the last 2 years but I felt with the other teams already mentioned this would be the year to go with 4 or 5.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
The candle... lol . Adam "massacre" Mascherin? is that right? or do u have another one? Your the nickname champ !! Just trying to keep up !

Victor Mete is excellent as well, I hope the JRC group stay together. Marlboros are going to be strong next year.

I bet the candle will be at the OHL cup. I think Brancatella is injured and Zach Wilkie was suspended for 3 games in game 2 of the finals. If that carries over to the OHL cup, then he will miss game 1 at the OHL cup. Not sure if it carries over.
Hehehe I appreciate the kudos on the nicknames. Thanks. For Mascherin, "Adam "The Mosh Pit" Mascherin? Hehehe who knows. Yeah, Mete looked great when I saw him against Honeybaked. Very slick skating crafty defenseman. I'm going to try and get to the JRC's/Marlies game at Herbert Carnegie this Friday. Should be a good one.

**** A little off topic, but did you get a chance to see the Moscow Select team at the Marlie Classic? They had a few forwards that were head-and-shoulders above anyone on the Marlies and Junior Canadiens, and was hoping to get your thoughts on #4,17,88. Definitely guys I'm sure OHL teams would love to lure over here in the import draft. Maybe Tigers has some info on them?

As always your thoughts/insights are appreciated.

Last edited by Garyboy: 03-06-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
It will actually be 3 OMHA teams with guarenteed spots. There is also expected to be a third USA team, which if I'm not mistaken will be a Detroit area team.
Glad to hear that. That Detroit/Chicago team that went under the Little Caesars name last year was very strong.They started out rough against Ottawa Valley, but once they got a feel for their new team mates and got some chemistry together they gave the Marlies a serious run for their money in one of the best games of the season.

Hopefully Doug Blaisdell is part of the team, but odds are Honeybaked/Compuware will be tied up in their state playoffs.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Glad to hear that. That Detroit/Chicago team that went under the Little Caesars name last year was very strong.They started out rough against Ottawa Valley, but once they got a feel for their new team mates and got some chemistry together they gave the Marlies a serious run for their money in one of the best games of the season.

Hopefully Doug Blaisdell is part of the team, but odds are Honeybaked/Compuware will be tied up in their state playoffs.
Quote:
There will only be two US teams this year.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:10 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

**** A little off topic, but did you get a chance to see the Moscow Select team at the Marlie Classic? They had a few forwards that were head-and-shoulders above anyone on the Marlies and Junior Canadiens, and was hoping to get your thoughts on #4,17,88. Definitely guys I'm sure OHL teams would love to lure over here in the import draft. Maybe Tigers has some info on them?

As always your thought/insights are appreciated.
I saw them yes. I watched the Ottawa Valley Titans upset them in the semi's I believe. I wanted to see Honeybaked vs Moscow in the final. #4 , 17, 88 I also recall as standouts same with #7 standing out big time. #17 Rubstov looked unbelievable. The russian players are always such great skaters and possess game changing speed. I dont have any info on there futures. Im sure a few guys on that roster will end up playing WJC down the road.

The Honeybaked team that won the Marlies tourney, won 50 plus games in a row this year. What an incredible Goaltending tandem they have. I was most impressed with Michael Latorella. Latorella is so technically sound and handles the puck like a pro. I was so impressed. Dylan St Cyr the other goalie on Honeybaked is Manon Rhéaume's son. Rheaume is the only female to ever play an exhibition game in the NHL(Tampa Bay).

Old
03-06-2013, 10:54 PM
defensehockey19

Usually you can follow box scores of games on the OHL website right?

Old
03-07-2013, 07:00 AM
JansenHockey

OMHA Championship Players to Watch

The top 5 OMHA Teams will be in Whitby this weekend. Here are the some players to follow. I only follow tournament play since many league games can be lopsided. Most of the players listed have been stand outs in the four big tournaments this year. I have deleted and added a few along the way.

Tyler MacArthus - D - Barrie
Michael Holmes - D - Barrie
Justin Lemke - D - Whitby
Brady Baker - D - COW
Matt Spencer - D - Oakville
Troy Henley - D - Oakville
Kyle Capobianco - D - Oakville

Michael Davies - F - STA
Brett MacKenzie - F - Oakville
Jake Bricknell - F - COW
Austin Gerhart - Barrie
Jesse Barwell - F -Oakville
Adam Craievich - F - Oakville
Sena Kohler - F - Oakville
Hayden McCool - F - Whitby

Brendan McGlynn - G - Oakville
Jesse Schoeman - G - STA
Frank Longo - G - Whitby

This should be great weekend of hockey.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:35 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
The top 5 OMHA Teams will be in Whitby this weekend. Here are the some players to follow. I only follow tournament play since many league games can be lopsided. Most of the players listed have been stand outs in the four big tournaments this year. I have deleted and added a few along the way.

Tyler MacArthus - D - Barrie
Michael Holmes - D - Barrie
Justin Lemke - D - Whitby
Brady Baker - D - COW
Matt Spencer - D - Oakville
Troy Henley - D - Oakville
Kyle Capobianco - D - Oakville

Michael Davies - F - STA
Brett MacKenzie - F - Oakville
Jake Bricknell - F - COW
Austin Gerhart - Barrie
Jesse Barwell - F -Oakville
Adam Craievich - F - Oakville
Sena Kohler - F - Oakville
Hayden McCool - F - Whitby

Brendan McGlynn - G - Oakville
Jesse Schoeman - G - STA
Frank Longo - G - Whitby

This should be great weekend of hockey.
McCool might be one of the best draft names ever.

Also, I don't know anything about any of the players from Central Ontario.. Where do you expect Baker and Bricknell to be drafted?

Last edited by defensehockey19: 03-07-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old
03-07-2013, 10:36 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
McCool might be one of the best draft names ever.

Also, I don't know anything about any of the players from Central Ontario.. Where do you expect Baker and Bricknell to be drafted?
I agree. If I was drafting, I would pick him first just cause of the name. McCool is an even better name then McLovin

Old
03-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Crottenham

Will there be any scouts checking out the Major Midget OMHA's in Whitby next weekend or is it all OHL Cup? Just curious.....

Old
03-07-2013, 12:00 PM
mapleleaf979

Some other players to watch in Whitby:

Johnny Corneil Central Ontario
Colton Sansom Barrie
Andrew Burns Oakville
Matt Luff Oakville
Jared Marino Southern Tier
Cal Walker Southern Tier
Brady Cranwell Southern Tier
Adrian Clark Oakville (G)
Allan Menary Barrie (G)
Tyler Eldercourt Southern Teir(G)

Old
03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Some other players to watch in Whitby:

Johnny Corneil Central Ontario
Colton Sansom Barrie
Andrew Burns Oakville
Matt Luff Oakville
Jared Marino Southern Tier
Cal Walker Southern Tier
Brady Cranwell Southern Tier
Adrian Clark Oakville (G)
Allan Menary Barrie (G)
Tyler Eldercourt Southern Teir(G)
How about Ryan Saris Whitby?

Old
03-07-2013, 01:33 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
How about Ryan Saris Whitby?
Ryan Sarris is another one, he will be drafted higher than a few of the guys I mentioned.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
GoalieGuy35

I'm obviously a strong believer in goaltending wins championships, it will be interesting to see how these tenders perform in the OHL Cup. I don't believe there are any first round goalies this year, however I do believe that there is a ittle bit more parity among the talent this year for the position.
Some to watch for the OHL Cup:

Some of the obvious:

Marlies- Robinson: Good size and athleticism, will make the first save and knows how to win. Can be a big game goalie.

Rebels- Letinovich (My apologies for spelling): Good size, plays with a calm demeanor in the net, I don't believe he is as technically sound as some of the higher end draft pick goalies, however there is potential.

Oakville- McGlynn: Excellent size and poise in the net. Although Oakville is strong in all aspects of the game, McGlynn is certainly considered one of the top netminders for this years draft. He has a strong athletic game, with highly developed technical skills. His foot work is strong, as well as his glove positioning.

Red Wings- Helvig: Another strong and calm goalie. He sees the game well, and tends to anticipate the play that is coming towards him. If he has the ability to stay square to the puck, he will no doubt make the save. His lateral work is decent for a larger size goalie as well.

Don Mills- Lafontaine: Although he is a '98, I put him in this category to watch his potential for next year. This goalie I believe will be a stud in the OHL and has the talent and determination to develop. He has established himself as the number one goalie on this team, and if Don Mills is a wild card, I would not be surprised to see scouts crowding around to see him for the 2014 draft. He does have exceptional lateral mobility, and is very technically sound down low and in tight.

Barrie- Menary: Both of Barrie's netminders are big and strong in the net, hence why they are such a successful team. I think Menary is a goalie with a lot of talent and skills that can be developed even higher at the next level. I think he could be a 4-6 round pick and be successful in Jr. hockey as early as next year. He has a lot of potential talent. Don't rule out Van Schubert though who does have a height advantage and excelent numbers as well.

Elgin- Fazio: I am not completely sold on either of Elgin's goalies, they both have size, but I believe Fazio has more talent. He takes up a lot of space, is strong down low, and his butterfly is exceptional. Elgin, like Oakville, does not give up a lot of scoring opportunities, and Fazio can be counted upon to make the first save and minimize the amount of rebounds he lets out.

Not so obvious:

Southern Tier- Both netminders are strong, however I would give the edge to Schoeman. Athletic, square to the puck, not too many rebounds. Goaltending I believe gives STA a stronger chance at advancing in the OHL Cup.

YSE- Bell: A lot of people like Semaio, and I believe he knows how to win games, and plays a big style in the net despite not being as big as some of the others, I just don't see as much potential in his game for future levels as I feel his footspeed may hold him back. Not to say he doesn't become successful, and I hope he proves me wrong. However, I think Bell looks to have a lot of untapped talent that shouldn't go unnoticed. He is dynamic in the net, and can make big and timely saves. However, I have had limited viewings on YSE, so I can't comment too much, I just liked what I saw in Bell.

Waterloo- Rawski: Another team I have had limited viewings of, however I have watched him play a couple of times and thought he had potential. He is big in the net and seems to move into pucks well. He could be a good late round pick that turns into something if he can utilize his size and positioning.

London- Turnbull/Langford: Both of London's goalies are big and raw. They have athleticism, and the potential to make big saves, however I think there is a lot of teaching left to be done with these goalies. Their size may get them attention, but they do not move as well as some of the other goalies mentioned. If they can continue to make the first save and work on their lateral mobility, both of these goalies have the ability to become excellent junior hockey goalies.

If anyone is interested on opinions of other goalies who may be participating in the OHL Cup, or could be drafted feel free to request it. I have not seen all of the goalies, but am happy to share the information I have.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:20 PM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieGuy35 View Post
I'm obviously a strong believer in goaltending wins championships, it will be interesting to see how these tenders perform in the OHL Cup. I don't believe there are any first round goalies this year, however I do believe that there is a ittle bit more parity among the talent this year for the position.

Some of the obvious:

Marlies- Robinson: Good size and athleticism, will make the first save and knows how to win. Can be a big game goalie.

Rebels- Letinovich (My apologies for spelling): Good size, plays with a calm demeanor in the net, I don't believe he is as technically sound as some of the higher end draft pick goalies, however there is potential.

Oakville- McGlynn: Excellent size and poise in the net. Although Oakville is strong in all aspects of the game, McGlynn is certainly considered one of the top netminders for this years draft. He has a strong athletic game, with highly developed technical skills. His foot work is strong, as well as his glove positioning.

Red Wings- Helvig: Another strong and calm goalie. He sees the game well, and tends to anticipate the play that is coming towards him. If he has the ability to stay square to the puck, he will no doubt make the save. His lateral work is decent for a larger size goalie as well.

Don Mills- Lafontaine: Although he is a '98, I put him in this category to watch his potential for next year. This goalie I believe will be a stud in the OHL and has the talent and determination to develop. He has established himself as the number one goalie on this team, and if Don Mills is a wild card, I would not be surprised to see scouts crowding around to see him for the 2014 draft. He does have exceptional lateral mobility, and is very technically sound down low and in tight.

Barrie- Menary: Both of Barrie's netminders are big and strong in the net, hence why they are such a successful team. I think Menary is a goalie with a lot of talent and skills that can be developed even higher at the next level. I think he could be a 4-6 round pick and be successful in Jr. hockey as early as next year. He has a lot of potential talent. Don't rule out Van Schubert though who does have a height advantage and excelent numbers as well.

Elgin- Fazio: I am not completely sold on either of Elgin's goalies, they both have size, but I believe Fazio has more talent. He takes up a lot of space, is strong down low, and his butterfly is exceptional. Elgin, like Oakville, does not give up a lot of scoring opportunities, and Fazio can be counted upon to make the first save and minimize the amount of rebounds he lets out.

Not so obvious:

Southern Tier- Both netminders are strong, however I would give the edge to Schoeman. Athletic, square to the puck, not too many rebounds. Goaltending I believe gives STA a stronger chance at advancing in the OHL Cup.

YSE- Bell: A lot of people like Semaio, and I believe he knows how to win games, and plays a big style in the net despite not being as big as some of the others, I just don't see as much potential in his game for future levels as I feel his footspeed may hold him back. Not to say he doesn't become successful, and I hope he proves me wrong. However, I think Bell looks to have a lot of untapped talent that shouldn't go unnoticed. He is dynamic in the net, and can make big and timely saves. However, I have had limited viewings on YSE, so I can't comment too much, I just liked what I saw in Bell.

Waterloo- Rawski: Another team I have had limited viewings of, however I have watched him play a couple of times and thought he had potential. He is big in the net and seems to move into pucks well. He could be a good late round pick that turns into something if he can utilize his size and positioning.

London- Turnbull/Langford: Both of London's goalies are big and raw. They have athleticism, and the potential to make big saves, however I think there is a lot of teaching left to be done with these goalies. Their size may get them attention, but they do not move as well as some of the other goalies mentioned. If they can continue to make the first save and work on their lateral mobility, both of these goalies have the ability to become excellent junior hockey goalies.

If anyone is interested on opinions of other goalies who may be participating in the OHL Cup, or could be drafted feel free to request it. I have not seen all of the goalies, but am happy to share the information I have.
Thanks for the write up. Not many threads have provided this much detail on goaltenders. Nice add to the discussion.

Im interested is your feeling on possible draft position for these goalies. I follow a few but limit my list to a 3 or 4 and primarily focus on skaters. Can you offer a draft opinion on each?

Old
03-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
I saw them yes. I watched the Ottawa Valley Titans upset them in the semi's I believe. I wanted to see Honeybaked vs Moscow in the final. #4 , 17, 88 I also recall as standouts same with #7 standing out big time. #17 Rubstov looked unbelievable. The russian players are always such great skaters and possess game changing speed. I dont have any info on there futures. Im sure a few guys on that roster will end up playing WJC down the road.

The Honeybaked team that won the Marlies tourney, won 50 plus games in a row this year. What an incredible Goaltending tandem they have. I was most impressed with Michael Latorella. Latorella is so technically sound and handles the puck like a pro. I was so impressed. Dylan St Cyr the other goalie on Honeybaked is Manon Rhéaume's son. Rheaume is the only female to ever play an exhibition game in the NHL(Tampa Bay).
Yeah, I thought Rubstov was the best of a very impressive lot as well. His speed, puck handling, lateral movement and compete level was simply on another level.

Very cool fact about Manon Rheaume's son being on the Honeybaked '98's. Thanks for that. I'm already looking forward to seeing them at the Whitby Silverstick next season.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Usually you can follow box scores of games on the OHL website right?
Yeah. They do a good job on tracking the OHL Cup on their website.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
There will only be two US teams this year.
Ah drats!

Any idea of the top prospects that will be part of the American teams coming, Tigers? I reckon Elite Hockey will have another roster heavy on '97's playing Jr. B this season. Thanks.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Ah drats!

Any idea of the top prospects that will be part of the American teams coming, Tigers? I reckon Elite Hockey will have another roster heavy on '97's playing Jr. B this season. Thanks.
There will be a high end 98 named Adam Fox, Donovan Ott, Jeremy Bracco among others from all over Buffalo and NY/NJ.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:45 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieGuy35 View Post

Some of the obvious:

Tyler Richardson. Richardson and Boyko are the tandem. Matt Robson played last year. I do something similar with Matt Spencer and Spencer Watson, I mix the two names together sometimes, when referring to Matt Spencer. Spencer Watson's brother is Matthew, so its been interesting for myself, messing that up all year.lol.

Im with u on Lafontaine, his leg flexes are very fast and you can see he has put in work on the techniques he has, i.e. how square he is always is to the shooter. Game #33 Flyers vs Rebels is the one that stands out quite big for myself. Rebels could have clinched the regular season with a win, so they brought a strong desire to win the game. I was in the corner lined up with the goal line. One of the better performances Ive seen this year from a Goalie.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
There will be a high end 98 named Adam Fox, Donovan Ott, Jeremy Bracco among others from all over Buffalo and NY/NJ.
Thank you, Tigers. Nice to see the Bracc attack will be back again this year. Adam "Crazy Like A" Fox was at the Marlie Classic with the Long Island Gulls.

I look forward to seeing the American blue chippers.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:09 PM
GoalieGuy35

Quote:
Tyler Richardson. Richardson and Boyko are the tandem. Matt Robson played last year. I do something similar with Matt Spencer and Spencer Watson, I mix the two names together sometimes, when referring to Matt Spencer. Spencer Watson's brother is Matthew, so its been interesting for myself, messing that up all year.lol.

Im with u on Lafontaine, his leg flexes are very fast and you can see he has put in work on the techniques he has, i.e. how square he is always is to the shooter. Game #33 Flyers vs Rebels is the one that stands out quite big for myself. Rebels could have clinched the regular season with a win, so they brought a strong desire to win the game. I was in the corner lined up with the goal line. One of the better performances Ive seen this year from a Goalie.
My apologies on the mix up, I certainly do that sometimes. I also am very familiar with Robson and considering they played for the same team it gets confusing at points. I believe Robson actually has more potential than Richardson though.

I've watched Lafontaine several times as well, and have witnessed his training and skill from a younger age. I think he has what it takes, and has the mental demeanor to take him places. I'm excited to see his progress.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:28 PM
GoalieGuy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
Thanks for the write up. Not many threads have provided this much detail on goaltenders. Nice add to the discussion.

Im interested is your feeling on possible draft position for these goalies. I follow a few but limit my list to a 3 or 4 and primarily focus on skaters. Can you offer a draft opinion on each?
Drafting and guessing positions on goalies is a very inaccurate process, so I don't usually like doing it. I can give very broad assumptions though on where I believe many will go, although I'd be interested to see how off I am when the actual draft occurs:

Here are a few of my guesses:

Rounds 2-4:
Blacker (Despite NCAA commitment, I still see a top 4 round pick in him, too talented to pass up on)
Timpano
Helvig
McGlynn
Johnson (Chatham)

Rounds 5-7:
Menary
Fazio
Lobsinger (Kitchener)
Richardson
Adrian Clark (Oakville)

Rounds 8-10:
One goalie from Upper Canada (I apologize, I've only viewed him a couple of times, and his name is slipping my mind although I know I have posted it in the past)
Turnbull
Schoeman
Letinovich (Rebels)
Longo (Whitby)

Rounds 11-15:
Culina (Soo)
Gorman (Miss. Sens- Decent size, some potential)
Rawski
Van Schubert (Barrie)
Semaio/Bell (YSE)
Cormier (Clarington)

Once again, my assumptions are probably innaccurate, and I would assume there is around 30 goalies drafted this year, as per following years past. I would assume some Americans will get drafted, along with some Midget goalies in Ontario, therefore I have left room for that as well. These are basics guesses, any feedback would be great.

Closed Thread