HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT Sacramento looking to finance new arena; UPD NBA rejects relocation to Seattle bid

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I am sure there is some government watchdog or enviromental group that will get all up in arms about government subsidies.
There isn't a group that has enough clout or desire to even try.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:33 PM
gstommylee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
We'll see once the actually term sheet is revealed and passed.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
We'll see once the actually term sheet is revealed and passed.
If nobody made enough of a stink when they had a legitimate deal, I doubt anyone would do it now.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
If nobody made enough of a stink when they had a legitimate deal, I doubt anyone would do it now.
Last year's deal wasn't even completely finished though.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:46 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
There wasn't a citizens for more important things up here until Stadium funding for new stadium was actually put out there.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Deal wasn't even finalized.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Last year's deal wasn't even completely finished though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Deal wasn't even finalized.
They had a non-binding agreement so yes the deal was finalized in regards to what the terms of it were going to be and nobody made an issue about it nor made a public statement against it to the level where they were threatening a lawsuit. It's not going to happen here.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:46 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
They had a non-binding agreement so yes the deal was finalized in regards to what the terms of it were going to be and nobody made an issue about it nor made a public statement against it to the level where they were threatening a lawsuit. It's not going to happen here.
ARE U BUILDING THIS FACILITY, PF along w/ the $ of Mastrov, etc? Sacramento's done, the Kings are gone, why not just accept it

Old
03-08-2013, 09:22 PM
gstommylee

Stern spoke today before golden state game and essentially said there is no bid by sacramento. And they got till April 3rd bid and arena plan completely finalized.

Stern says the sacramento offer is not even close and not comparable to hansen's offer and that Sacramento has to increase it or else NBA won't even consider sacramento counter-offer.

Can Sacramento get the arena plan done by apirl 3rd?

Old
03-08-2013, 09:36 PM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
ARE U BUILDING THIS FACILITY, PF along w/ the $ of Mastrov, etc? Sacramento's done, the Kings are gone, why not just accept it
He won't do that, CHRDANHUTCH. His loyalty to his team and city are unshakable. Technically they aren't gone yet, so he's right. Yes, it looks for all the world like the Kings will relocate, but it hasn't officially happened yet, so just leave him be and if he thinks they will stay, let him have that belief until facts prove him wrong. It's not the end of the world.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:52 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 View Post
He won't do that, CHRDANHUTCH. His loyalty to his team and city are unshakable. Technically they aren't gone yet, so he's right. Yes, it looks for all the world like the Kings will relocate, but it hasn't officially happened yet, so just leave him be and if he thinks they will stay, let him have that belief until facts prove him wrong. It's not the end of the world.
it's all but done

Stern: Mastrov bid not enough to keep Kings-WHICH HAS BEEN THE point of discussion, OilersFan, AND that's Breaking on the Sacramento Bee AS we speak....

Old
03-08-2013, 10:51 PM
gstommylee

Stern was pretty clear that he wants that bid with a $$$ offer close to hansen's and an arena plan done by the 3rd of April.

Stern confirms what KJR mitch said a couple days ago that Sacramento's offer was quite low.

If they can't get a close enough the NBA BOG will not consider it. So why the heck did mastrov not come up with a higher offer than low balling it?

They have 3 and half weeks to get everything done that is not a lot of time.

When a deadline is given that means things aren't looking good.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-08-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Response to deleted post. Let's all take it easy now
Old
03-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
What I find distrubing for Sacramento is Stern had this press conference in Oakland (closest NBA team)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...elocation.html

Doesn't seem like he's stepping foot in Sacramento is a real telling sign where this one is going.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:10 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
What I find distrubing for Sacramento is Stern had this press conference in Oakland (closest NBA team)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...elocation.html

Doesn't seem like he's stepping foot in Sacramento is a real telling sign where this one is going.
What hurts more is that Stern essentially said there is no offer worth considering.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:08 PM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
it's all but done

Stern: Mastrov bid not enough to keep Kings-WHICH HAS BEEN THE point of discussion, OilersFan, AND that's Breaking on the Sacramento Bee AS we speak....
I don't disagree with you on any of those points, man. Just saying don't bag on Pinkfloyd for having his opinions. He's entitled to them, just as you are to yours. I happen to think the team will move to Seattle in short order, but it is not a done deal yet, so you never know what can happen.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 View Post
I don't disagree with you on any of those points, man. Just saying don't bag on Pinkfloyd for having his opinions. He's entitled to them, just as you are to yours. I happen to think the team will move to Seattle in short order, but it is not a done deal yet, so you never know what can happen.
Well in my opinion unless Mastrov can increase the offer to the an amount where the NBA will considered the offer, its a guarantee that Kings are coming to seattle.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:37 PM
gstommylee

According to KJRmitch (has a source from within Seattle's group)

says various sources estimate that sacramento's offer is nearly a 100m off.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
According to KJRmitch (has a source from within Seattle's group)

says various sources estimate that sacramento's offer is nearly a 100m off.
If that's the case and especially coming of the heels of Stern's press conference yesterday, makes me wonder if Sacramento is really going to still go full steam in the arena proposal.

I would think they still will since KJ still wants to save face saying he's done everything in his power to keep the Kings in town.

Guess there's no harm approving $$$ on and arena that will never be spent.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Shaz

At this point it's a wait until April

Sonics are coming home

Old
03-09-2013, 07:50 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
If that's the case and especially coming of the heels of Stern's press conference yesterday, makes me wonder if Sacramento is really going to still go full steam in the arena proposal.

I would think they still will since KJ still wants to save face saying he's done everything in his power to keep the Kings in town.

If Kansas City can at least build a ridiculous arena to be the second home of KU basketball and end up as busy as it is, well...

...Kansas City doesn't have a lot of competition for more than 200 miles, FWIW...

...but the Bay Area is so big (and Sacramento close enough) that another venue probably wouldn't hurt.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:51 PM
gstommylee

Quote:

They need the arena to be next in line for a NBA team. They talked about getting a WNBA team again. Mastrov would need another investor that is deep pocketed enough to make up that 100m amount. No way mastrov with his net worth can make up that difference.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
They need the arena to be next in line for a NBA team. They talked about getting a WNBA team again. Mastrov would need another investor that is deep pocketed enough to make up that 100m amount. No way mastrov with his net worth can make up that difference.
I guess if the league tells city 'your'e next in line' it makes sense for the city can press on giving Mastrov and co. More time to come up with to extra $$$.

If there's no hope at all for a new team I think the breaks are put on the arena for a long time.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
If Kansas City can at least build a ridiculous arena to be the second home of KU basketball and end up as busy as it is, well...

...Kansas City doesn't have a lot of competition for more than 200 miles, FWIW...

...but the Bay Area is so big (and Sacramento close enough) that another venue probably wouldn't hurt.
KC is an interesting comparison, though I recall when it was in the planning stages there was allot of hopes, springs eternal that an NHL or NBA team was in on the way. Now the city is claiming that it's working just fine without a major tenant as you say, there's not much competition in the area.

Could the same be said for Sacramento considering the possibility of a new arena for the Warriors in SF in the works as well?

Will be curious to see this unfold for sure.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Stern was pretty clear that he wants that bid with a $$$ offer close to hansen's and an arena plan done by the 3rd of April.

Stern confirms what KJR mitch said a couple days ago that Sacramento's offer was quite low.

If they can't get a close enough the NBA BOG will not consider it. So why the heck did mastrov not come up with a higher offer than low balling it?

They have 3 and half weeks to get everything done that is not a lot of time.

When a deadline is given that means things aren't looking good.
Except the problem is that what you said was not and is not what Stern said. blah blah blah there is essentially no bid from Sacramento. False. You were exaggerating the truth of the matter which my deleted post pointed out in a very simple manner. Yes he won't consider the current offer but that doesn't mean that the bid wasn't there or that there is no Sacramento bid. That's just plain wrong.

And again, saying that it was quite low is false. That is what your assumption is and Stern said nothing that confirms that.

The reality of the matter is that it is not possible for Mastrov to know exactly what Hansen is offering and what the NBA may find competitive for a Sacramento bid because, something you have failed to realize constantly, it is a different standard for the basis of the deal.

Yeah, they have til April 3rd to figure it out but you're lying to yourself if you believe that they aren't close on a lot of the issues and no not everything has to be done...the only thing that needs to be done is the money being close enough to appease the NBA.

One quote you just happened to overlook was that Stern had said exactly what was told to you by me that the Maloofs, as a seller, don't get to decide to move the franchise before getting out. That the NBA will decide who owns this team and where it is played.

It'll still probably be Seattle but not because of the PSA or any of that. It'll be what the NBA finds as the best deal for one of their franchises.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Melrose Munch

Stern is a bum. He's only doing this to so no one can blame him if they move. He can say he gave Seattle every chance

Closed Thread