2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 10:37 PM
defensehockey19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieGuy35 View Post
Drafting and guessing positions on goalies is a very inaccurate process, so I don't usually like doing it. I can give very broad assumptions though on where I believe many will go, although I'd be interested to see how off I am when the actual draft occurs:

Here are a few of my guesses:

Rounds 2-4:
Blacker (Despite NCAA commitment, I still see a top 4 round pick in him, too talented to pass up on)
Timpano
Helvig
McGlynn
Johnson (Chatham)

Rounds 5-7:
Menary
Fazio
Lobsinger (Kitchener)
Richardson
Adrian Clark (Oakville)

Rounds 8-10:
One goalie from Upper Canada (I apologize, I've only viewed him a couple of times, and his name is slipping my mind although I know I have posted it in the past)
Turnbull
Schoeman
Letinovich (Rebels)
Longo (Whitby)

Rounds 11-15:
Culina (Soo)
Gorman (Miss. Sens- Decent size, some potential)
Rawski
Van Schubert (Barrie)
Semaio/Bell (YSE)
Cormier (Clarington)

Once again, my assumptions are probably innaccurate, and I would assume there is around 30 goalies drafted this year, as per following years past. I would assume some Americans will get drafted, along with some Midget goalies in Ontario, therefore I have left room for that as well. These are basics guesses, any feedback would be great.
Do you think Timpano or Helvig would be capable of being backups in the league as early as next season?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:10 PM
trapperhockey

Some decent tendies in the North: Kevin Labelle and Brayden Lachance in Sudbury and Ben Auger in North Bay.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:21 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Do you think Timpano or Helvig would be capable of being backups in the league as early as next season?
As I have said before I am not a goalie expert but Im going to comment on this.

Jumping to the OHL as a backup at 16 is a questionable move. Like skaters, goalies need to play games. There are second year back ups in the OHL right now that are caught behind more seasoned vets that are on fire. These guys are still not seeing regular action. Every team situation is different but have a good look at the current roster, who they have in their system, and make a good decision. If you are asked to back up in the OHL in all likelihood you can secure a very good Jr A or B position and work as a call up to the OHL.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:01 AM
ImaBullsfan

Is there any sort-a list or guide other than the media guide from the ohl web site than has previews and all players eligible for the up-coming draft? And when will it be available?

Old
03-08-2013, 08:10 AM
ImaBullsfan

When can teams start deals for picks before the draft? Does anyone think there will be many deals? It will be interesting to see if many 2nd rounders get moved!

Old
03-08-2013, 09:02 AM
U of C Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
When can teams start deals for picks before the draft? Does anyone think there will be many deals? It will be interesting to see if many 2nd rounders get moved!
Deals for the top 10- have started, some are done, others will be clearer at the end of weekend.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by U of C Trojan View Post
Deals for the top 10- have started, some are done, others will be clearer at the end of weekend.
I believe IBF is talking about OHL trading 2nd rd picks. I'm curious as well. 1st rd deals between OHL teams and potential picks are being made already.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Is there any sort-a list or guide other than the media guide from the ohl web site than has previews and all players eligible for the up-coming draft? And when will it be available?
Yes, usually a week before the draft.

Quote:
There is a few days before the draft where you can make pick for pick trades. Im not sure the dates this year, but its usually a 3 day pocket during the week before the draft.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:12 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by U of C Trojan View Post
What have you heard are some of the done deals as of now?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
U of C Trojan

Sorry

Last edited by U of C Trojan: 03-08-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
ImaBullsfan

Your typical london and windsor will be active, no doubt

Old
03-08-2013, 03:38 PM
defensehockey19

Oakville just beat Barrie. Henley with player of the game.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:52 PM
JLowery

Quote:
Oakville just beat Barrie. Henley with player of the game.
This kid is amazing to watch! His passion for the game is unreal.
Peterborough can't go wrong with this player.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:21 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLowery View Post
Kid has size, speed and raw talent. He should definitely be a top 10 pick, and may surprise a few and go top 5, with his teammate Spencer. Oakville may have 3 players in the top 6?

Old
03-08-2013, 09:27 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLowery View Post
You think Oke has it in him to take him even though he isn't hyped upto top 5? I'd still be happy.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:30 PM
chewerjones

The Barrie Colts team has impressed me alot this year, and they have alot of players that can go in the first 3 rounds. One sleeper player on the Colts that has impressed me this year, is Savoy #88. That kid hits like a truck and with the proper coaching in the OHL, he can be a productive power forward.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:32 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
You think Oke has it in him to take him even though he isn't hyped upto top 5? I'd still be happy.
All that is important for Peterborough, is that they select a high compete player at #4 or #5, preferably a dman (Spencer or Henley).

Old
03-08-2013, 09:44 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Its possible. U could argue that Henley is playing down to his competition. How many players have his complete package? Not many. Sure Spencer's feet are better, I get the impression that Capobianco and Henley have more hockey sense than Spencer who has the most talented Dman feet in this draft and a top notch shot and size. Henley is impressive and I get the feeling he has more to unleash, more to give. I think top 10 is cemented, i suggestted Peterborough a few days ago on this board and think its possible. I think Henley is 6-10 rated on most teams depth chart at this moment and even higher on a few others. Look for him to continue to pour it on at the OHL cup. I think Henley has no issues playing top 4 minutes on most teams an flourish, especially the bottom feeders.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:46 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
All that is important for Peterborough, is that they select a high compete player at #4 or #5, preferably a dman (Spencer or Henley).
Hopefully Oke has had multiple conversations with both of them as I also think they'd be a great fit. Top 4 minutes next season

Old
03-09-2013, 11:23 AM
defensehockey19

Oakville is now 2-0-1 in OMHA's. Just tied Central Ontario, Brett Mckenzie was player of the game.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:18 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Oakville is now 2-0-1 in OMHA's. Just tied Central Ontario, Brett Mckenzie was player of the game.
Mackenzie was a monster out there, and if he could practice his finishing, he may have had 3 goals. He should go top 5 in the draft.

Spencer is the real deal, and should go head to head with Konecny in the draft (not including Day). Henley played very good and solid. Capobianco has ability to rush the puck, but he avoids the contact like the plague. Very soft player, and doesnt like the traffic areas. He had one hit all game and it was an elbow to the other player's face. To me, he is a late first round pick at best.

Corneil, Clark and Eastman were strong players for Central Ontario. Bricknell has nice hands but poor skater. Goalie for COW played great.

Barrie has alot of solid smallish players. MacArthur was solid and calm back there and should be selected in the 8-12 slot of the first round. Gerhart is there next best player, and he will go in the 2nd round.

Walters of STA plays well and should go 2nd round. Davies floats too much and is a soft player and should go 2nd round. Marino has nice size and could go 3rd round. Baird may be the best hitter in the 97 loop. I previously said that Savoy may have been the best hitter, but after today, I think Baird takes the spot.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:25 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Mackenzie was a monster out there, and if he could practice his finishing, he may have had 3 goals. He should go top 5 in the draft.

Spencer is the real deal, and should go head to head with Konecny in the draft (not including Day). Henley played very good and solid. Capobianco has ability to rush the puck, but he avoids the contact like the plague. Very soft player, and doesnt like the traffic areas. He had one hit all game and it was an elbow to the other player's face. To me, he is a late first round pick at best.

Corneil, Clark and Eastman were strong players for Central Ontario. Bricknell has nice hands but poor skater. Goalie for COW played great.

Barrie has alot of solid smallish players. MacArthur was solid and calm back there and should be selected in the 8-12 slot of the first round. Gerhart is there next best player, and he will go in the 2nd round.

Walters of STA plays well and should go 2nd round. Davies floats too much and is a soft player and should go 2nd round. Marino has nice size and could go 3rd round. Baird may be the best hitter in the 97 loop. I previously said that Savoy may have been the best hitter, but after today, I think Baird takes the spot.
Where do you think Baird goes?

Davies and Walters would make very solid 2nd round picks.

Oakville beats Southern Tier 8-1. Spencer gets player of the game.

Last edited by defensehockey19: 03-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 06:47 PM
GoalieGuy35

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
As I have said before I am not a goalie expert but Im going to comment on this.

Jumping to the OHL as a backup at 16 is a questionable move. Like skaters, goalies need to play games. There are second year back ups in the OHL right now that are caught behind more seasoned vets that are on fire. These guys are still not seeing regular action. Every team situation is different but have a good look at the current roster, who they have in their system, and make a good decision. If you are asked to back up in the OHL in all likelihood you can secure a very good Jr A or B position and work as a call up to the OHL.
Some goalies are ready for it, and others aren't. There will be at least one '97 goalie in the OHL next year. Although 'game time' is helpful for goalies, I can assure you goalies like Moran have progressed far more this year despite limited game time than other '96's have in Jr. A. Although tey get more ice, they are spending their time adjusting to the Jr. A level, and then must make an even bigger adjustment to the OHL the following year. The arguement can be made form both sides, goalies such as Scott Wedgewood, Binnington, Anderson, and Martin have all played in the OHL right away and are considered elite netminders, where as goalies such as Malcolm Subban spent a year in Midget/Junior, and still become a first round pick.

Goalies who I believe could play in the OHL next year from this age group:
Helvig- Big, calm, and will develop immensely over the summer.
Blacker- If his AP numbers are any indication of his potential still, he'd be a good underage goalie regardless of his size.
Timpano- Athletic, has the speed, but probably needs the most adustment to his game for the next level.
McGlynn- He has the luxury of practicing with half of the first round this year on his team (Sarcasm, but not so far off). I believe he has the potential to crack a roster IF the back up position is open. I don't think he is beating out a capable back up though depending on where he gets drafted.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:02 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieGuy35 View Post
Some goalies are ready for it, and others aren't. There will be at least one '97 goalie in the OHL next year. Although 'game time' is helpful for goalies, I can assure you goalies like Moran have progressed far more this year despite limited game time than other '96's have in Jr. A. Although tey get more ice, they are spending their time adjusting to the Jr. A level, and then must make an even bigger adjustment to the OHL the following year. The arguement can be made form both sides, goalies such as Scott Wedgewood, Binnington, Anderson, and Martin have all played in the OHL right away and are considered elite netminders, where as goalies such as Malcolm Subban spent a year in Midget/Junior, and still become a first round pick.

Goalies who I believe could play in the OHL next year from this age group:
Helvig- Big, calm, and will develop immensely over the summer.
Blacker- If his AP numbers are any indication of his potential still, he'd be a good underage goalie regardless of his size.
Timpano- Athletic, has the speed, but probably needs the most adustment to his game for the next level.
McGlynn- He has the luxury of practicing with half of the first round this year on his team (Sarcasm, but not so far off). I believe he has the potential to crack a roster IF the back up position is open. I don't think he is beating out a capable back up though depending on where he gets drafted.
Awesome, I hope Blacker goes back on his commitment to NCAA, and chooses the O.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:40 PM
ImaBullsfan

Is there any good prospects from the team from Atlanta?

Closed Thread