HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Lose 3-0. Watching Paint dry

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 11:25 PM
sid49
#FreeGaza

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
saying that Hall is the problem
Dan Tencer looks so much like Milhouse.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:27 PM
HopelessOilFan

vCash: 500
I didn't catch the whole interview with krueger, but my favorite part i did hear was when he claimed we "Only stopped playing for 10 minutes" and detroit took advantage of that...

are you serious? we didn't even PLAY for 10 minutes!

This is gold too:

"We have to bottle up the anger we feel over tonight's result and use it against Nashville. This team isn't quitting." Ralph Krueger

Hate to break it to you ralph, but the team quit a long time ago.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
Not a bad job of adjusting the system overall by ralph but he shoots himself and the team in the foot by starting out with MPS-Gagner-Yakupov and then busting up the best line out there for us. No excuses , none this time Ralph you must be a human pin cushion because you cant feel a darn thing that is happening out there, you finally get it right and it works perfectly and then you backtrack? Put that line back together you silly fool, you took the wind right out of the mens sails, and wasted a great game from Maggie , Gagner ,Yakupov and MPS were Jacked up before and early in the game and their energy was carrying the team, where is your mind Ralph?

Put them together, and stop messing with the things you finally get right , we are running out of time and they are our best hope to find another gear. If Hemmer doesnt have a broken foot he needs to sit a game, that drama was disgusting, just standing there like a lost kid on Halloween Night with his little Pumpkin Suit flapping in the wind. While they pounded our netfront. Some armies kill their wounded during battle to save them the disgrace of having their enemies look down on any them from a position of terminal dominance. Hemmer just got demoted to the 3rd line with Smyth and Horcs where he belongs, we need to keep MPS-Gagner-Yakupov together and not be so bi-polar on the bench, if we are going to make the frigging playoffs Ralph Malph we will need the tertiary scoring Hemmer will give us from the 3rd using the fastbreak supported by Whitney like I said 3 games into this year, we will need both Yak and Sam to be shooters on the 2nd line and MPS to be the evolving power forward he is now to give us the meat of our offense and we need the 1st line to hold the line as they are doing because Ebbs is warming up now they just need Hall to start working the wing and trying to score repeatedly the same ways{instead of being to much of a playmaker} so Nuge can key on opponent weaknesses off of Halls drives and then Ebbs can pick better spots to slice them open with his surgical recision. This is how I called it 3 games in and how I have been calling it ever since, Ralph FINALLY gives in to common sense and reason and puts the proper 2nd line combo together and then he bails out and regresses before the game is even over.

Finally I can say Ralph executed his adjustments reasonably well and he creates the perfect 2nd line combo, then he has to crap the bed and regress in the line combo department, we could have stretched the system differently and kept that 3some together.if the Oilers are going to make it to the playoffs we will need to see the lines I just listed, we have had a loooong time to darn well and evaluate this year and there is no reason to not have seen a positive evolution and better results by now unless something has been wrong at the core value level, Ralph needs to keep MPS-Gagner-Yakupov together and drop Hemmer to the 3rd line and force Hall to provide consistant zone attacks for NUGE to key off of, or we are DOOMED. NewAgeSys-Moma2- BadMedicine , out.
Almost made it through this one. Got excited when I thought you said to execute Ralph.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I can't imagine how bad this club would be without Gagner, Eberle, Hemsky. As it is as soon as Hemsky was injured our offence evaporated tonight. Of those left on the ice Gagner and Eberle were among the more actively involved.

FTR this is 3/3 of the top goal scorers on this club. That just got shutout, again.

Sounds like a great plan.
On a club that is failing. Playing a style that suits the games of these players - and even then they aren't producing at top-line kind of goal-scoring paces.

The problem with this team lies in it's inability to win puck battles along the boards and refusal to play the dump-and-chase. Part of the hesitation there is that these guys would simply just get creamed if they tried to play that style. Smyth/Horcoff/Stoll/Torres aren't around anymore at their high levels of play from 2006. There's no one to retrieve the puck when Hemsky dumps it in. He, Eberle, and Gagner sure as hell aren't going to come out of those battles alive.

I say RNH, regardless of Gagner's production, is the top center on this team heading forward and needs to stay.

I think Hall's style and speed are an irreplaceable asset, and that he needs to stay.

Eberle is a great asset, and carries a lot of trade value. He's an amazing player, but I feel he could do better in another environment, and the return he brings could really thrive with our already-existing skill players (RNH, Yakupov).

Gagner, similar to Eberle, will never have his value be higher than it is right now, and I feel now is the time to turn him into a great return.

As for Hemsky, he's actually the one of the 3 I don't mind holding onto. He has game-breaking ability on the RW, and I feel his trade value will never be equal to what he brings to this team.

Let's be honest - this team needs a culture change in it's top 6. Our inability to out-class opposition centers and maintain offensive zone puck possession is embarrassing, and the primary reason for our struggles at ES. These moves need to be made.

Old
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empros View Post
Stop ****ing showing this, or I'll go postal.! I mean it!

Old
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@nielson1260: This is funny “@mikekostuik: @nielson1260 The Oilers new marketing slogan is so good other teams are using it too http://t.co/GNyzI3eRsw”
So good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1297367266085_ORIGINAL.jpg‎ (103.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1297373719048_ORIGINAL.jpg‎ (129.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg jaromirjagr130206-940-8col.jpg‎ (104.0 KB, 25 views)

Old
03-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Bryanbryoil

Krueger IIRC last year when he took over for Renney said something like he was playing for a tie or some such **** like that. If this is his mentality then he needs to be down the road, not now, but right now. Hire Ruff, he coached some really good Buffalo teams that played exciting offensive hockey and when I say offensive I mean scoring goals, not the crap that we're currently seeing.

03-07-2013, 11:36 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Old
03-07-2013, 11:37 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

Derek Van Diest ‏@SUNdvandiest

Got a sense in the #Oilers room they're starting to realize they're not a very good hockey team. Some of us figured that a while ago ...

That is scary. These are very young talented kids. They are not being cushioned into the lineup properly, etc. Basically thrown tot he dogs.

Our "veterans" are pathetic. Nobody is leading these kids.

The season is about to go down a very bad path if help is not brought in unless these guys have a gut check and start improving.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:41 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

Old
03-07-2013, 11:42 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Nice !

LOL

Old
03-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Krueger IIRC last year when he took over for Renney said something like he was playing for a tie or some such **** like that. If this is his mentality then he needs to be down the road, not now, but right now. Hire Ruff, he coached some really good Buffalo teams that played exciting offensive hockey and when I say offensive I mean scoring goals, not the crap that we're currently seeing.
I said before the season Krueger could be gone quicker than George Burnett.

Most of his ideas are strange to say the least, some of them are not properly communicated, and the rest are bad ideas to begin with.

Remember him telling the team they would get a day off after bad games to get the funk of a bad game out of their system?

He was saying this to the losing culture Edmonton Oilers.

I pointed out at the time that it was an epic lack of understanding about this team that caused him to think suck a strategy would work.

Yeah, lets give dog ****ers the next day off as reward.

One in a series of strategies I seriously have to question.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

Even Roger "Ahh C**KS*****" Millions is getting in on the Oiler jabs on twitter

Old
03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Bravo sir, Bravo. Great stuff

Old
03-07-2013, 11:51 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post

Got a sense in the #Oilers room they're starting to realize they're not a very good hockey team. Some of us figured that a while ago ...

That is scary. These are very young talented kids. They are not being cushioned into the lineup properly, etc. Basically thrown tot he dogs.

The season is about to go down a very bad path if help is not brought in unless these guys have a gut check and start improving.
What's happening isn't on the shoulders of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, or Yakupov. At all. Two of these guys are teenagers. They're all under 23 years of age. There is no way that they should be completely relied upon just yet. It's the crappy vets that Tambellini/Lowe have signed, or refused to trade away. It starts with Horcoff, and goes to Belanger, Smyth, Hemsky, Whitney, Potter... The only vets that give a damn when they play are Gagner (Who is still only 23 years old), Eager, Brown, and Jones.

Sigh... Fire Lowe. Fire Tambellini. Get the "Boys on the bus" on the first bus out of Edmonton and start with some guys that know how to build an NHL franchise.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:52 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
1. Throw eggs and pies at Kevin Lowe, his family, his cars and their houses on a daily basis until he resigns.
2. Draft Barkov trade Hopkins + 2014 1st rounder +2014 2nd rounder + Nick Schultz for Hanzal + Yandle.
3. Sign Gagner to 3 year 15 million dollar contract.
4. Sign a 3rd line center to a 2 year deal to give Barkov some time to develop his game and to continue to develop physically so that he doesn't get bum rushed in his first or second season in the NHL.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Distinct

This team desperately needs a coach and GM that are from another organization. Individuals who haven't been immune to winning for so long; people that can bring in some logic, competence and accountability.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Made me lol for real. Nice work.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:59 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
This team desperately needs a coach and GM that are from another organization. Individuals who haven't been immune to winning for so long; people that can bring in some logic, competence and accountability.
Yeah but with that change you can't have remnants of the old group around to poison the mentality/thinking.

This basically means a top-down approach. Lowe, Tambellini, MacTavish, Kruger, Buchberger, Smith - and a whole new coaching and managerial staff.

It may involve moving some of the players as well. This includes the Smid's and Horcoff's that have been around and been "solid" but not difference-makers over the past few years.

Re: Smid, has anyone noticed how painstakingly horrible our break-out is when he's on the ice? Even Steve Staios made it look better.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Butane Fan

The only bright thing in this game was the fight. The coilers turned that energy into nothing. OMG this team is really starting to annoy me I am lucky I have date with wife so I get to miss the Nashville game

Old
03-08-2013, 12:02 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post

Tavares was thrown into "the fire" and in an equally badly managed franchise yet he has managed to succeed.

I think it's all the hype that surrounded this team...

I just watched the first episode of Oil Change, and oh my... I kind of feel sorry for your young talent as they really really thought they were ready to contend. I'm sure most of you have already seen it.

I also feel Yakupov is getting extremely underutilized. This is a franchise player that was supposed to provide EXCITEMENT. And he did, in one of the most exciting game of the regular season... I hope that these first overall picks reach their potential I really do, because it's a shame for the league if they're ruined in this environment.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum View Post
Somewhere in his beautiful mansion, Katz just shrugged his shoulders, turned off the tv and cuddled up with a wad of cash.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:06 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

And re: our breakout..

Has anyone noticed how apart from with Justin Schultz and on occasion Petry having the puck on their sticks, the breakout consists of the following:

1) 3-4 passes off the boards behind the net to the defensive partner because of a refusal by below-average transition defensemen to recognize the available lanes and instead face immense pressure from fore-checking forwards. Usually this eventually results in one errant pass and an opposition scoring chance.

2) Smid/N.Schultz finally get tired and fire it off the boards down the ice, usually right to the opposition defense/forwards.

It's really fun watching Detroit break-out, even without Lidstrom. That Kindl kid has all the confidence in the world. Picks up speed as he skates behind the net, grabs the puck, and wheels up the ice with appropriate support from his D-partner and the C (Zetter/Dats) behind him to confidently either skate up the ice with it or make break-in passes or drop-back passes that will better set up the zone entry. Just a perfect system.

J.Schultz/Petry are average at best at the (retro)Whitney/Pronger-like 100-foot breakout pass. Whitney has lot his ability to do it. We have literally no one on this team capable of recognizing it nor actually making it.

J.Schultz for some reason refuses to use his skating and wheel up the ice like Kindl/Karlsson. Petry has done it on occasion, but he's not even as talented as Schultz in terms of having the skills necessary to wheel like that.

As for Fistric/Whitney/Smid/N.Schultz.... Why is it that our organization has always had players like this?

Guys with:

1) piss-poor breakout pass ability
2) piss-poor break-out skating ability
3) piss-poor point shots

That last one is big. No defenseman on this team has a dangerous one-time wrist/slap shot with traffic other than Justin Schultz. Any good team has even their bottom-6 defensemen capable of firing the puck towards the net in a manner in which it'll generate rebounds and avoid shot-blockers. It's been a problem plaguing our team ever since Schultz/Tarnstrom/Bergeron/Pronger left after 2006. We had a slight resurgance with Souray/Visnovsky, but we all know how that turned out.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I am one of the few positive people around here, which is unusual. I have stopped looking at the win and lose stats--I look more at corsi, time on ice, shift patters and other things
So.....stuff that doesn't really matter. Awesome.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:07 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
What's happening isn't on the shoulders of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, or Yakupov. At all. Two of these guys are teenagers. They're all under 23 years of age. There is no way that they should be completely relied upon just yet. It's the crappy vets that Tambellini/Lowe have signed, or refused to trade away. It starts with Horcoff, and goes to Belanger, Smyth, Hemsky, Whitney, Potter... The only vets that give a damn when they play are Gagner (Who is still only 23 years old), Eager, Brown, and Jones.

Sigh... Fire Lowe. Fire Tambellini. Get the "Boys on the bus" on the first bus out of Edmonton and start with some guys that know how to build an NHL franchise.
I agree with you 100%.

Please go protest outside of Lowe's home to get the wheels in motion.

Closed Thread