HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Trade Kessel?

View Poll Results: Should Phil Kessel be traded?
Yes 194 51.60%
No 182 48.40%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-07-2013, 10:38 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

vCash: 500
Not this season, the reason Kadri is producing right now is because Kessel`s line is getting the tough D pairing, I dont know about you guys but I want to see the leafs make the playoffs this year.

If Kessel demands too much $ then trade him in the offseason for something like setegochi (cap dump) + brodin + 1st

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
no but he's stubborn and isn't really flexible. I get him trying to implement a defensive system that will make us better defensively long term, but the roster can't play Carlyle hockey as it is.
So we should let Kessel go back to being a severely minus player? We should punish the goalie and defence because you want Kessel to play non-contact hockey?

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:41 PM
The_Chosen_One

This is ridiculous! You're going to trade a 25-year old elite for who exactly? I don't even see how Corey Perry, age 27, is going to replace Kessel. It's obvious that extreme amnesia and excessive narcotic consumption is clouding judgment.

When Carlyle was heading the Ducks during their decline, he regularly criticized Perry. The criticism was that he floated and didn't move his feet. We're really getting obsessed with size when Perry is not the guy that's taking us anywhere.

Kessel has proven that he can net 40 goals on his own. He is a very strong playmaker as well. Perry, on the other hand, depends on a rather capable player named Getzlaf. There is also Ryan - another big guy - and Selanne who just makes the team difficult to play.

JVR is the only big guy that play a somewhat similar style. I guess Grabovski would follow due to up his very feisty game. Yes, more so than Kumelin! He's more of a player who accelerates on the rush and scores. Built like a tank, but didn't an intimate relationship with the opposition goalie even during his 30 goal year.

I'd trade Kessel for Crosby. Otherwise, we're wasting our time. It's just a very stupid proposition.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
This is ridiculous! You're going to trade a 25-year old elite for who exactly? I don't even see how Corey Perry, age 27, is going to replace Kessel. It's obvious that extreme amnesia and excessive narcotic consumption is clouding judgment.

When Carlyle was heading the Ducks during their decline, he regularly criticized Perry. The criticism was that he floated and didn't move his feet. We're really getting obsessed with size when Perry is not the guy that's taking us anywhere.

Kessel has proven that he can net 40 goals on his own. He is a very strong playmaker as well. Perry, on the other hand, depends on a rather capable player named Getzlaf. There is also Ryan - another big guy - and Selanne who just makes the team difficult to play.

JVR is the only big guy that play a somewhat similar style. I guess Grabovski would follow due to up his very feisty game. Yes, more so than Kumelin! He's more of a player who accelerates on the rush and scores. Built like a tank, but didn't an intimate relationship with the opposition goalie even during his 30 goal year.

I'd trade Kessel for Crosby. Otherwise, we're wasting our time. It's just a very stupid proposition.
Kessel for Crosby

Old
03-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:

Lol you can't be serious?

I can name at least 30 guys in the league I take over Phill Kessel right now.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
So we should let Kessel go back to being a severely minus player? We should punish the goalie and defence because you want Kessel to play non-contact hockey?
what the hell are you talking about.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebdafor norris View Post
Not this season, the reason Kadri is producing right now is because Kessel`s line is getting the tough D pairing, I dont know about you guys but I want to see the leafs make the playoffs this year.
Players get more points on the 1st line, not the 3rd line.

The extra minutes and PP time a 1st liner gets MORE than makes up for the easier defensive pairing the 3rd line sees.

If Kadri was on the 1st line, he would get MORE points, not less.

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
buntek

Quote:

If Kessel is elite, there should be a pretty good market for him then no?

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Kb21

yes because he doesn't play the style we want. if we get no good offers i say just resign him for 6M x 5yrs else trade him. my opinion is based upon his whole career in toronto, he just doesn't step up when needed because of his inability to get a little dirty and a hit once in a while.

Kb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
what the hell are you talking about.
Its pretty ridiculous to blame Carlyle for Kessel's play

Old
03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
keonsbitterness
Don't vote for Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
If Kessel is elite, there should be a pretty good market for him then no?
If he's elite, why trade an elite player from a developing team?

keonsbitterness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonsbitterness View Post
If he's elite, why trade an elite player from a developing team?
Because he isnt elite..but maybe another team has a better situation for him and is willing to pay for it.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
I'm not blaming Carlyle for Kessel's play. For all I know Kessel misses lupul, poor conditioning from the half season etc. But the personnel we have on the team, we won't fully play Randy Carlyle hockey and for that he needs to adapt some of his coaching to a system that works for the team. (I'll use an example of Dale Hunter when he took over Washington last year. While the Caps learned some defensive structure to their game, you can't tell their best players weren't suited for that style of play.) Hell, stop using Grabo in a defensive roll while we're at it.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:56 PM
ryanwb

Quote:
But isn't it equally ridiculous to continually try jamming a round peg in a square hole?

Good coaches implement systems to try and win designed with the skillsets their players have available to them.

I am not saying this is Carlyle's fault, yes it is nice and all to want to implement some semblance of defensive responsibility, but let's call a spade a spade. Kessel is an elite goal scorer and needs to be treated that way.

Is it too early to see how he would look with Kadri?

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:56 PM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
I would keep him for now, trade him in the offseason. Unless we can get a big winger like Perry (signed). It has to be a good return.

I believe his no trade or nmc clause kicks in after this season actually.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Leafy Undergrowth

Buy high! Sell low! I hear that's the key to success!

Leafy Undergrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy Undergrowth View Post
Buy high! Sell low! I hear that's the key to success!
Signing free agents for way too much...I hear that is another key to success.

Last I checked, no one here knows what Kessel is worth.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Cor
GOAT Poster

vCash: 50

Trade him for what? A 1st, and a prospect that might make the NHL?

The stupidity of some posters on here (not going to name any names). I don't get it.

Phil Kessel is a guy we NEED to keep to be successful. When we find a number 1 center to play with him and Lupul/JVR, (which hey, could be Nazem Kadri) Kessel is going to light the league up.

Kessel isn't a #1 player.... he is more of a 1B... he needs someone to help him out a little bit. Get him the puck for good looks. I like Tyler Bozak, but he isn't that guy.

We trade Phil Kessel for a #1 C, then who is that #1 C going to pass the puck to? It would be a Mats Sundin situation all over again.

We trade him for Bobby Ryan? We have a power forward. Which we have in JVR and Lupul, and now, no sniper what so ever.

I understand Kessel is having a rough season, I get it, and no one is happy about it. People have to stop expecting Kessel to be a hard nosed player though. He isn't and never will be.

Everyone just needs to lay off this guy.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Defense

Keep Kessel and get Ovechkin. Chara won't be able to do much with Kessel and Ovy coming down the right and left lanes. Lupul did wonders for Kessel. Lets get Ovy here, nvm Statsny at 6.6M if Grabovski and Komisarek make 10M we can afford Ovy at 9.5M. Plus Ovechkin in the playoffs is a beast and that experience we could use.

Ovechkin - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Lupul
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
Komarov - Steckel - McLaren

Orr/MacArthur

Sick and tired of this trade Kessel stuff. He plays with Tyler Bozak. How many of JVRs goals are assisted by Kessel. He is a 1st line winger something we didn't have for a long time. We'd trade something only to look for it again. Id rather see us trade for another offensive threat - sniper in Ovechkin. With Kessel Phaneuf and Ovys elite shots especially on the PP, i can actually see us battle and beat the Bruins in a 7 game series. Also depends on Riemer and getting these AHL defensemen off 1st pairing minutes. But still tired of Kessel getting called out on his style of game when he had 82 points in 82 games with Lupes last year.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:02 PM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post

Trade him for what? A 1st, and a prospect that might make the NHL?

The stupidity of some posters on here (not going to name any names). I don't get it.

Phil Kessel is a guy we NEED to keep to be successful. When we find a number 1 center to play with him and Lupul/JVR, (which hey, could be Nazem Kadri) Kessel is going to light the league up.

Kessel isn't a #1 player.... he is more of a 1B... he needs someone to help him out a little bit. Get him the puck for good looks. I like Tyler Bozak, but he isn't that guy.

We trade Phil Kessel for a #1 C, then who is that #1 C going to pass the puck to? It would be a Mats Sundin situation all over again.

We trade him for Bobby Ryan? We have a power forward. Which we have in JVR and Lupul, and now, no sniper what so ever.

I understand Kessel is having a rough season, I get it, and no one is happy about it. People have to stop expecting Kessel to be a hard nosed player though. He isn't and never will be.

Everyone just needs to lay off this guy.
If you believe that Kessel is going to step up even with Sidney Crosby as his center in tight grind them out playoff games woah you have got a huge surprise coming.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Cor
GOAT Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucicfist View Post
If you believe that Kessel is going to step up even with Sidney Crosby as his center in tight grind them out playoff games woah you have got a huge surprise coming.
He was PPG with Marc Savard as his center in the playoffs....

Next.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:04 PM
keonsbitterness
Don't vote for Ford!

Quote:
Because he isnt elite..but maybe another team has a better situation for him and is willing to pay for it.
You called him a little puke so what you think is basically irrelevant.

keonsbitterness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Cor
GOAT Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
Keep Kessel and get Ovechkin. Chara won't be able to do much with Kessel and Ovy coming down the right and left lanes. Lupul did wonders for Kessel. Lets get Ovy here, nvm Statsny at 6.6M if Grabovski and Komisarek make 10M we can afford Ovy at 9.5M. Plus Ovechkin in the playoffs is a beast and that experience we could use.

Ovechkin - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Lupul
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
Komarov - Steckel - McLaren

Orr/MacArthur

Sick and tired of this trade Kessel stuff. He plays with Tyler Bozak. How many of JVRs goals are assisted by Kessel. He is a 1st line winger something we didn't have for a long time. We'd trade something only to look for it again. Id rather see us trade for another offensive threat - sniper in Ovechkin. With Kessel Phaneuf and Ovys elite shots especially on the PP, i can actually see us battle and beat the Bruins in a 7 game series. Also depends on Riemer and getting these AHL defensemen off 1st pairing minutes. But still tired of Kessel getting called out on his style of game when he had 82 points in 82 games with Lupes last year.
I'm all game for Ovechkin.... but based on your lineup, do we give up a potato for him or?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Sorry for speaking freely. Didn't realize calling a coward a coward was so taboo around here.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Cor
GOAT Poster

Quote:
Sorry, just the fact that your pic is off a pumpkin puking and you said the word puke...

carry on.