HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL and NHLPA approve re-alignment

Old
03-07-2013, 09:33 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post
Goodbye Detroit Red Wings,Thanks for letting the preds beat ya'll guys in the playoffs last post-season
Your teams greatest accomplishment ever!

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

vCash: 500
Yuck... I hate this move. Can't wait to move back west when Quebec gets its team. Can't believe they made things so complicated.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:11 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Yuck... I hate this move. Can't wait to move back west when Quebec gets its team. Can't believe they made things so complicated.
I doubt the Wings move back west any time soon. This move is nothing but good for the franchise.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:13 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
I doubt the Wings move back west any time soon. This move is nothing but good for the franchise.
The league is already unbalanced. Once Quebec gets a team, it gets even more imbalanced. What do you propose?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:20 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
The league is already unbalanced. Once Quebec gets a team, it gets even more imbalanced. What do you propose?
(1) Far from certain Quebec gets a team

(2) Would probably be offset by a Western team

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:26 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
(1) Far from certain Quebec gets a team
Far from certain in this instance is a 99% chance it will. It's a traditional hockey market. Loads of fans. It already had a hockey team once, and can carry it again.

Quote:
(2) Would probably be offset by a Western team
Depends on the situation. I can't believe the league will expand and make a mess of the already complicated schedule matrix they have to run to sustain this imbalanced league. Not to mention expansion really hurt the league last time. Doubt they'd do it again... Then again, don't get in the way of an owner and his expansion checks... Quebec likely gets a team by moving Phoenix when they put that franchise down and pull the plug. If Quebec moves a team, they'll have to move Detroit back to the west. They aren't going to have 3 teams imbalance the conferences. None of the other big four come anywhere close to that kind of stupidity.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 PM
detgirl13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrier View Post
I'd be thrilled-- I would love to see the Wings face off against East teams more often, especially Toronto and Montreal, as there would be many more chances for me to see them in person being in Toronto. Wings should be in the East, they're geographically close enough, plus it would give 'em more Original Six meetings!

Once the playoffs roll around here in Toronto, especially these past few seasons, a lot of Wings fans show up at sports bar. It's pretty pro-Red where I am, any ways.
Where do you live? Me and my BF just moved to Toronto and we're hardcore Wings fans without a bar home

I feel like all Toronto people would just chirp if I wore any Wings attire and I have been told they can be crazy. If you can recommend a Red Wings friendly bar I'd appreciate it!

detgirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Its not written in stone that Quebec will get a team at all. Seattle and Kansas City are both potential NHL locations as is Wisconsin should the Bucks fold/move in the near future.

The league wouldn't move the Wings and Blue Jackets over if they didn't have some sort of plan for expansion/relocation.

I don't see any negatives as a Wings fan...I'm sure the Hawks fans hate it, but why should Wings fans hate not having late games and way fewer west coast trips?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:28 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
The chances of Quebec getting a team unless an eastern team is relocating took a serious dent today.

Chances are as a stipulation of getting in a Toronto 2 team would play in the west anyway, they would be the displaced Eastern time zone team.

But lets be honest they have 8 Canadian teams, I think having a 1/4 would be all they are interested in.

Seattle, Houston, Kansas City, Omaha, Milwaukee (if the Bucks move), Portland, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas. They have places to grow the game and help the American tv contract.

Personally I think Omaha is a great option they would be like the Thunder, they have a big arena they have put in and they follow both the USHL and College hockey big time there. Own the market, get Buffet to buy the team.

But chances are they have Seattle and Houston circled. Kansas City has been trying, but I think they get the Bucks and there is no basketball team in St. Louis or Kansas City so the NBA should be interested. If Phoenix is forced to move, like I said I am a big fan of Omaha, but Portland has chased teams in the past, came close on the Pens the first time in the 90's.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:33 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by detgirl13 View Post
Where do you live? Me and my BF just moved to Toronto and we're hardcore Wings fans without a bar home

I feel like all Toronto people would just chirp if I wore any Wings attire and I have been told they can be crazy. If you can recommend a Red Wings friendly bar I'd appreciate it!
I'm not sure of any Wings bars, but I've never had any trouble with Leaf fans for wearing Wings gear in Toronto.

It might change now that we'll be back in the same division, but a lot of Leaf fans adopted the Wings as a 2nd team because for a long time it was the closest place to see good hockey.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:35 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Depends on the situation. I can't believe the league will expand and make a mess of the already complicated schedule matrix they have to run to sustain this imbalanced league. Not to mention expansion really hurt the league last time. Doubt they'd do it again... Then again, don't get in the way of an owner and his expansion checks... Quebec likely gets a team by moving Phoenix when they put that franchise down and pull the plug. If Quebec moves a team, they'll have to move Detroit back to the west. They aren't going to have 3 teams imbalance the conferences. None of the other big four come anywhere close to that kind of stupidity.
I don't think they would aside from an eastern team relocation down the road. But shoud they decide to shaft Detroit and Columbus again. You can bet they will bleed Toronto 2 and Quebec dry to get back in. Why sell them Phoenix if you're going to allow them to exist. Make them pay a huge pay in price, leak it publically and let the local surge go wild and force the owners to pay a disgusting 400 or 500 million just to get back in. It won't be the 200 million and change of a Phoenix move that doesn't make business sense.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

As I said before I'm not a fan of this. Don't like divisional playoffs, I prefer 1 vs. 8 format, and I'd rather have the Wings stay West than unbalanced conferences.

Don't think it makes any sense to put us with Florida and Tampa with us either opposed to CBJ. (Transplants thing aside.) But that's not as big of a deal to me as the other two things.

I'm sure the Western Conference teams are ecstatic right now that they only have to compete against 13/6 teams for playoff spots/division title as opposed to the 15/7 we have. (57% chance vs. 50% chance)

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:51 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
As I said before I'm not a fan of this. Don't like divisional playoffs, I prefer 1 vs. 8 format, and I'd rather have the Wings stay West than unbalanced conferences.

I'm sure the Western Conference teams are ecstatic right now that they only have to compete against 13/6 teams for playoff spots/division title as opposed to the 15/7 we have. (57% chance vs. 50% chance)
32 teams are coming and I am glad we are in the East for that fight. Will be interesting to see we can find some allies to help block a move maybe. I think the Florida fans and teams which don't like this maybe right now will sing a different tune when they get their road gate numbers.

The Wings took that playoff advantage when they went to 14 and 12 in 1993-94 and it was a mistake, one they have complained about since.

If you're old enough to remember division/conference hockey in the late 80's and early 90's it is really a great thing and I miss it. The hatred that forms in division is something people today just don't see. You don't like your division today, but really not in the same way. A big part of the spike in Pitt vs Philly was the playoffs. Yes they didn't like each other but it goes on a whole different level with the old format. People will wonder why they ditched it to begin with shortly.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Affinity

Welcome to the East! Hope you enjoy the travel and bias Really though its gonna be great to see more O6 games regularly involving the Wings! Kinda feel bad for the Hawks being alone in the West.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:54 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Welcome to the East! Hope you enjoy the travel and bias Really though its gonna be great to see more O6 games regularly involving the Wings! Kinda feel bad for the Hawks being alone in the West.
That is probably because you don't know a lot of Hawks fans.

It is a group you should never feel sorry for.

I remember feeling sorry for them when they had Dollar Bill Wirtz, I have no idea what I was thinking.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Welcome (back) to the East. Will be fun seeing you guys more often!

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:07 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
I'm not sure of any Wings bars, but I've never had any trouble with Leaf fans for wearing Wings gear in Toronto.

It might change now that we'll be back in the same division, but a lot of Leaf fans adopted the Wings as a 2nd team because for a long time it was the closest place to see good hockey.
I'd say there is a large fanbase of Wings fans in Toronto. You might get the odd chirp/comment, but it is all in good fun. Toronto/Ontario has fans cheering for virtually every team. Although crazy for their Leafs, any hockey will do.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:33 AM
InjuredChoker

Great news, very excited.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post

If you're old enough to remember division/conference hockey in the late 80's and early 90's it is really a great thing and I miss it. The hatred that forms in division is something people today just don't see. You don't like your division today, but really not in the same way. A big part of the spike in Pitt vs Philly was the playoffs. Yes they didn't like each other but it goes on a whole different level with the old format. People will wonder why they ditched it to begin with shortly.
This. It should create some great and much hated rivals rather than a bunch of teams you dislike. I'd prefer 1 to 3 really intense rivals than 5-7 teams you kind of dont like.

Hendricks433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
This really activates Western Ontario. Wasn't that almost 50/50 split between Wings/Maple Leafs fans?

Winter Classic coming between these teams and everything.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:22 AM
JBauerly97

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
The chances of Quebec getting a team unless an eastern team is relocating took a serious dent today.

Chances are as a stipulation of getting in a Toronto 2 team would play in the west anyway, they would be the displaced Eastern time zone team.

But lets be honest they have 8 Canadian teams, I think having a 1/4 would be all they are interested in.

Seattle, Houston, Kansas City, Omaha, Milwaukee (if the Bucks move), Portland, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas. They have places to grow the game and help the American tv contract.

Personally I think Omaha is a great option they would be like the Thunder, they have a big arena they have put in and they follow both the USHL and College hockey big time there. Own the market, get Buffet to buy the team.

But chances are they have Seattle and Houston circled. Kansas City has been trying, but I think they get the Bucks and there is no basketball team in St. Louis or Kansas City so the NBA should be interested. If Phoenix is forced to move, like I said I am a big fan of Omaha, but Portland has chased teams in the past, came close on the Pens the first time in the 90's.

Would San Fran thrive or too close to SJ I wonder?

JBauerly97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:40 AM
icKx
What now?

Love being in the East. Wish they wouldn't mess with the playoffs though.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:01 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
all these original 6 games means more $$$ for tickets.

good luck trying to get a ticket to a game against toronto at a decent price
The one time a year these teams played each other the prices would be more hiked up then they will be now because there will be more games available
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Fair enough, but I think it's being overstated dramatically. This might have been more pressing during the dead puck era when guys like Hatcher actually had a place in the NHL.
Go rewatch some leafs vs Bruins games or Bruins vs Sabres games or Bruins vs Leaf games from last year and tell me that its overstated.
Quote:

Nah they arent bad, get heckled a bit but thats expected anywhere. I really wouldnt worry about it

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
Leafs fan looking forward to playing you more often.

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:23 AM
detgirl13

Thanks for the encouraging words guys! I'm glad I can go back to wearing my Detroit gear in public again

Maybe once playoffs start (assuming we make it...) we can do a fan meet up at a bar somewhere in Toronto!

detgirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote