HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Trade Deadline Thread (CBJ deadline discussion here)

Old
03-07-2013, 08:00 AM
EDM

vCash: 500
Sure adds more spice to what could be a very interesting trading period. I do not expect huge changes from us. But what changes are made could really signal the tone of the JD/JK administration's direction.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:36 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
By losing 4-1 to Calgary, San Jose has now gone over a month (February 5) without scoring more than 2 goals in a game.

In their first 5 games, they scored 4+ each time out (23 total). They've scored 28 goals in the 17 games since (1.65 GPG).

I bring this up only because that window to contend may be slamming shut on the Sharks as we speak, and the chances of them going all-in on one final shot are as good as the chances of them blowing it up at the deadline and beginning the rebuild.
As soon as I started to read this, until I got to the middle of it, the first thing I thought was: "No use barking up the CBJ's tree for scorers!"

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Sure adds more spice to what could be a very interesting trading period. I do not expect huge changes from us. But what changes are made could really signal the tone of the JD/JK administration's direction.
Agree. The significance, IMO, will be in the who and the what moreso than the how much. However, I confess that I might be projecting a little bit on this.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Interesting note that there are more Long term contracts on this team than when Howson took over for MacLean. I'd say there's more than a decent chance at least one may be trade bait.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Interesting note that there are more Long term contracts on this team than when Howson took over for MacLean. I'd say there's more than a decent chance at least one may be trade bait.
Things changed after the 2005 CBA....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
What do you think it would take to bring Pavelski to Columbus?
I'd have to imagine that Pavelski stays.

Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and Murray and Clowe (pending UFAs) would all fetch a decent return and clear a chunk of salary space. The former three combine for around $20 million per year, but all three have NTCs.

They've really painted themselves into a corner.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'd have to imagine that Pavelski stays.

Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and Murray and Clowe (pending UFAs) would all fetch a decent return and clear a chunk of salary space. The former three combine for around $20 million per year, but all three have NTCs.

They've really painted themselves into a corner.
Havlat could very well be on the move. They all have NMC's. Clowe could very well be the first causality. I don't think this impacts the trade deadline, however, or Columbus for that matter.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
What do you think it would take to bring Pavelski to Columbus?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
To Columbus:
Joe Pavelski

To San Jose:
Can of Worms (Original Recipe)

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:24 PM
slightlystewpid420

Although it's not likely but something i'm not completely against is the idea of trading one of the firsts and maybe a prospect to a team for high caliber prospect?

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:56 PM
JacketsFanWest

The Jackets are currently 4 points behind 8th place Dallas with 2 extra games played. Let's say the winning streak continues, or at least the Jackets continue to climb in the standings and no longer are the doormat. The Oilers, Avs and Preds are on a downward trend and the Jackets could pass them.

So, in 3 weeks, what happens if the Jackets are in 11th or 12th place and within 4 points of 8th? Are they sellers or do they try to make a miracle push for the playoffs, which odds are will be impossible with how competitive things are?

Do they trade within the Western Conference that they're leaving to teams that would still be competing with for a playoff spot? Say, sending Vinny to St Louis or Dallas? Would that be tanking?

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:00 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
The Jackets are currently 4 points behind 8th place Dallas with 2 extra games played. Let's say the winning streak continues, or at least the Jackets continue to climb in the standings and no longer are the doormat. The Oilers, Avs and Preds are on a downward trend and the Jackets could pass them.

So, in 3 weeks, what happens if the Jackets are in 11th or 12th place and within 4 points of 8th? Are they sellers or do they try to make a miracle push for the playoffs, which odds are will be impossible with how competitive things are?

Do they trade within the Western Conference that they're leaving to teams that would still be competing with for a playoff spot? Say, sending Vinny to St Louis or Dallas? Would that be tanking?
I'd have to say if we're 11th or 12th, we're sellers. If we're 8th or 9th, well that just got a whole lot tougher to figure out.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:

Points down is based on all of the above teams losing every game so the Jackets (or any team) can make up that ground..., odds are the other teams above them will win too.

It's unlikely that the Jackets will come close to the 8th seed prior to the trade deadline but if they do I think John Davidson would jump at the chance to make a trade for a playoff appearance.. I don’t know but in my gut I do know, John Davidson wants the CBJ to make the playoffs as much or more than Jacket Fan…

Based on their current 3 game winning streak, the Jackets need to take points both games vs Detroit this weekend to start consideration as a playoff hopeful.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'd have to say if we're 11th or 12th, we're sellers. If we're 8th or 9th, well that just got a whole lot tougher to figure out.
I agree, but don't sell off any young assets or picks to make a push for this year. I don't think Jarmo or JD would do that anyhow, but you never know.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:17 AM
JacketsFanWest

The April schedule looks rather grueling, so the chance that they could make up ground is slim.

However, the winning streak will hopefully go a long way to building fan confidence. If that continues and the Jackets aren't mathematically eliminated, that's going to seem like management just giving up on all hope and care more about the future than trying to make the playoffs now, especially if there are major roster players shipped out at the deadline for even more draft picks.

With the three 1st rounders, I'm wondering how much flack they're going to get for not trading them to win now if it doesn't look on paper that they're that far out of the playoff race.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I agree, but don't sell off any young assets or picks to make a push for this year. I don't think Jarmo or JD would do that anyhow, but you never know.
I could see some older veteran types (Brass being the exception) and perhaps second or lower round draft picks traded but not our youth or first round picks..

Old
03-08-2013, 12:50 AM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'd say we're sellers regardless of our standing. Management has been up front with everyone that this is a full organizational rebuild and that it will take time. I think if we are in the hunt for the playoffs we may make trades for players we think will be part of the team going forward, but there is no way we trade picks or young players for a chance to win now.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:13 AM
99 CBJ

A new One on One interview with JD was put up on the CBJ Website if any one is interested. Some really good insight on what their thinking. http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...sole?id=214644

99 CBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:31 AM
EDM

It does not sound like JD would go for a quick fix just to make the playoffs this year.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:41 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
It does not sound like JD would go for a quick fix just to make the playoffs this year.
And that is a good thing. Teams typically pick up an experienced depth player to strengthen a weakness. our biggest weaknesses are goalie (although Bob looks pretty good last 2) and a goal scorer(s). No contender is going to give up either of those.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 1133
Let's see where we are a week from today. Detroit, at Detroit, Vancouver, Chicago are the next four. Get six points from those and it might get interesting.

Not in the "We might make the playoffs" way. In the "Which GM put this roster together" way.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:44 AM
JacketsDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
And that is a good thing. Teams typically pick up an experienced depth player to strengthen a weakness. our biggest weaknesses are goalie (although Bob looks pretty good last 2) and a goal scorer(s). No contender is going to give up either of those.
The Pittsburgh situation may get very interesting in goalie. The #2 is outplaying Fleury. Don't think they would move either but if the chemistry starts going bad or if the room starts getting divided I wonder if they wouldn't consider moving one (potentially for the scoring winger) then picking up a solid backup tender.

JacketsDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsDavid View Post
The Pittsburgh situation may get very interesting in goalie. The #2 is outplaying Fleury. Don't think they would move either but if the chemistry starts going bad or if the room starts getting divided I wonder if they wouldn't consider moving one (potentially for the scoring winger) then picking up a solid backup tender.
Vokoun is not outplaying Fleury. Not on the whole. Both have been bad and both have been good. Pens may look to trade to upgrade at forward, but I can't see a situation that sees them making a change in net. This is exactly the scenario they were looking for (balance and a solid back-up, not both often sucking) when they brought Vokoun in.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:

I think they are sellers or holders. I don't see any way they move assets for a playoff push this year. They may decide to ride out the deadline if they were close but I just don't see them making a push. As well as they may be playing, I believe they have played the most games in the Western conference. Teams in front of them have those games in hand to pull away.

In the event the CBJ is 8/9, I would think they hold the roster, not add.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:14 AM
CapnCornelius

Our best player is a guy who won't be playing in the NHL when our rebuild is complete.

We are sellers.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote