HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Monty & Olesz

Old
02-09-2013, 11:05 AM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Monty & Olesz

Has anyone heard anything new about these 2 recently? Any update on when/if they are getting off LTIR? I'm guessing Monty may just be done and finish his career on LTIR. Olesz is the one I am more concerned about. If he failed his physical because he was out of shape or still just banged up from surgery then the Hawks might still have to buy him out next year. If he failed because the surgery wasn't truly successful and/or there are lingering issues then the Hawks might be able to get away with just leaving him on LTIR next year and not waste a buyout on him.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:44 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
They've been Kim Johnsson'd.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:45 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
I highly doubt Montador will play another game of hockey again. Olesz maybe, but God forbid it's with the Hawks.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:53 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
It wouldn't really be a waste of a buy out to use it on Olesz considering he's really the only viable candidate for one. Maybe Frolik.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:00 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
It wouldn't really be a waste of a buy out to use it on Olesz considering he's really the only viable candidate for one. Maybe Frolik.
Frolik has enough value that he could be traded. You wouldn't get much for him, but he'll be entering the last year of his contract next year and he's only making 2.33M against the cap.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:03 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Frolik has enough value that he could be traded. You wouldn't get much for him, but he'll be entering the last year of his contract next year and he's only making 2.33M against the cap.
Depends on what he ends up doing this year. If he only puts up 10 points or so I can't see many teams being interested in trading for a player who produces so little compared to their cap hit. The only way I can see it is a team that needs to get to the cap floor, like what NYI did in trading for Thomas.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:10 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Depends on what he ends up doing this year. If he only puts up 10 points or so I can't see many teams being interested in trading for a player who produces so little compared to their cap hit. The only way I can see it is a team that needs to get to the cap floor, like what NYI did in trading for Thomas.
If he plays the entire year on the 4th line and doesn't get any PP time, than I don't think you could expect him to put up very many points. But, other teams will look at his back-to-back 20-goal seasons, his diminished role in Chicago and his improved defensive play and I don't doubt there would be a team (multiple ones, probably) willing to take a "chance" on Frolik next year if the Hawks want to move him.

He's really not making that much against the cap. 2.33M for a quality penalty-killer who may be able to chip in 25 points on a third line with more oppurtunity? Yeah, I think a team would take a chance on that.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:18 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
If he plays the entire year on the 4th line and doesn't get any PP time, than I don't think you could expect him to put up very many points. But, other teams will look at his back-to-back 20-goal seasons, his diminished role in Chicago and his improved defensive play and I don't doubt there would be a team (multiple ones, probably) willing to take a "chance" on Frolik next year if the Hawks want to move him.

He's really not making that much against the cap. 2.33M for a quality penalty-killer who may be able to chip in 25 points on a third line with more oppurtunity? Yeah, I think a team would take a chance on that.
Good point. My train of thought was something along the lines of contending teams passing over him because of his cap hit which would be a major handcuff next year considering the cap is going to go down significantly, and the reasoning that any team that would be able to fit him under probably wouldn't be in the market to trade for what is essentially a spare part.

I think that any kind of return that another GM would realistically offer up probably isn't worth shipping him out for considering how good of a PKer he's become.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

the way he is playing right now, Frolik can stay. Somehow, he also steps it up in the POs

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:07 AM
HawksTillDeath

Olesz will be bought out..

If he can't pass a physical he will be LITR'd as well

I have a feeling Montador will get the Pronger/Savard treatement and finish his career on LTIR

too bad.. I really like him.. i would like him as our #6 - its just a shame

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Illinihockey

Montador was on the ice skating before practice today

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Hawkaholic

So what happens IF Montador returns before the end of the season....Rockford? Can't carry 24 players on our roster.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
So what happens IF Montador returns before the end of the season....Rockford? Can't carry 24 players on our roster.
Good question. As I see it, even if he's healthy he's our 8th defensemen at best.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Good question. As I see it, even if he's healthy he's our 8th defensemen at best.
Agreed, but we really can't send anyone down but Bollig..and I think he goes down when Carbomb is back....maybe?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

if Monty is cleared to play this season, he is an upgrade over Brookbank. wouldnt hesitate for a second with moving Brookbank if Monty is 100% healthy.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:

As a COL fan I'd LOVE to see Frolik get a chance in COL. I won't pretend to make offers and value and all that, but I think Frolik can be a solid NHL player and looking at what guys like PAP/Mueller/flash did w/Duchene I'd like to see Frolik get a chance.

I'd be very happy to see how Frolik looked in CHI in a bigger role again as well, but that seems like a pipe dream.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

if Monty really comes back, I'd try my best to trade him and give a fresh start and chance to play

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
if Monty is cleared to play this season, he is an upgrade over Brookbank. wouldnt hesitate for a second with moving Brookbank if Monty is 100% healthy.
To me, it isn't worth the risk. Would rather have Brookbank because he is more likely to be healthy in the post season. Be tough to trade Brookbank, then Monty gets hurt, then ..say Rozy gets hurt then we are left calling up Olsen or Stanton....no thanks.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:35 PM
cherrypik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
if Monty really comes back, I'd try my best to trade him and give a fresh start and chance to play
Maybe we can get a 3rd RD pick for him?

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:59 PM
LandofLincoln

update link on Montador

Montador & Frolik will travel to Colorado. So will Shaw & Hossa.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CHI|home

I went to the skate for injured players today at Johnny's West. Montador looked really good I expect him not just to make the trip, but dress as the 8th defenseman. I think he could take a few shifts on the 4th line or do some PKing.

Olesz & Frolik also were at Johnny's. Montador looked to be in game shape, Frolik was just skating and shooting at empty nets.

Olesz & Montador were shooting on a live goalie. Also practicing speed moves and skating and receiving pucks out of the faceoff circle.

Olesz shape is so bad that he would be getting 4th line minutes in Rockford. That is being generous because I think Paradis probably is a bit better than Olesz at this point. Rusty has a long way to go. I don't think he plays in the NHL ever again. I don't see him playing in the AHL either. He seems likely to play in Europe after the buy out. I couldn't tell if he was being lazy or just that far out of shape from being injured. I don't like calling players lazy when they are coming off injuries. He just has a long way to go.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:05 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post

I went to the skate for injured players today at Johnny's West. Montador looked really good I expect him not just to make the trip, but dress as the 8th defenseman. I think he could take a few shifts on the 4th line or do some PKing.

Olesz & Frolik also were at Johnny's. Montador looked to be in game shape, Frolik was just skating and shooting at empty nets.

Olesz & Montador were shooting on a live goalie. Also practicing speed moves and skating and receiving pucks out of the faceoff circle.

Olesz shape is so bad that he would be getting 4th line minutes in Rockford. That is being generous because I think Paradis probably is a bit better than Olesz at this point. Rusty has a long way to go. I don't think he plays in the NHL ever again. I don't see him playing in the AHL either. He seems likely to play in Europe after the buy out. I couldn't tell if he was being lazy or just that far out of shape from being injured. I don't like calling players lazy when they are coming off injuries. He just has a long way to go.
That's too bad, he's probably out of shape. I remember the guy looking decent with Toews in pre-season last year, and I still don't think he got a fair shot.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:14 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Dress as the 8th defenseman?

Dressing 7 is a rarity to begin with.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:20 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Dress as the 8th defenseman?

Dressing 7 is a rarity to begin with.
Yeah but when 7 and 8 can both play either D or F, it makes a lot more sense.

Not that I'm saying either of them are any good at forward, but still.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post

Did he hit any?!

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:24 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I think Montador is a better player than Brookbank but I don't think you can count on Montador staying healthy. There's only 10 or 12 games before the TDL and that isn't enough games to give the feeling that Monty can be counted on to make it through the end of season and playoffs. With Roszival's injury history, I'd rather have Brookbank as an insurance policy than Montador.

Ideally Monty plays well enough for some playoff bound team that needs defensive help to take a chance on him and take that contract off the books for the Hawks. That would leave the two buyouts for Olesz and Frolik and give the Hawks enough cap space to resign Leddy, Stalberg. Kruger and Bickell.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote