HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The 2014-2015 Goalie Situation

View Poll Results: #yoloswagyolo
Keep Miller/Enroth 14 20.29%
Trade Miller, Start Enroth/backup 12 17.39%
TM, Vet/Enroth 1A/1B 11 15.94%
TM, Acquire high end prospect/young NHLer 32 46.38%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-06-2013, 11:19 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Trade miller to chicago for futures, let miller win a cup, re-sign miller in 2 years to an improved roster
I don't think Chicago needs goalie help though.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:59 PM
joshjull

This thread is a depressing reminder of how barren the cupboard is after Miller

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:25 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Do you realize how many of those UFAs are over 35? There's not much out there. I think you almost have to extend Miller another 2 years. Then you draft another hot prospect and hope that Makarov or Ullmark come along

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:01 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
This thread is a depressing reminder of how barren the cupboard is after Miller
It's a great exmaple of what happens when you leave the cupboard basically barren for over a decade.
Since the turn of the millennium, they've selected eleven goalies, ten of which were were not top 100 picks.
The only high pick was Enroth in the 2nd round.

Even though there are plenty of late round steals among goaltenders, breaking down the numbers even further makes things ugly and leads you to believe that they just suck at evaluating goalies.
If you remove the guys the jury is still out on (Knapp, Lieuwen, Ullmark), you're left with eight selected.
Of the eight, six of them never even played a game in the AHL and the other two were sub-par starters (Adam Dennis, who was the starter in one season and split with Craig Anderson in another and Enroth, who never posted quality numbers and had lost his job by the end of his AHL days).

I can understand ignoring it for a bit, especially since they had the Biron/Miller/Noronen group for a few years, but it's been a decent amount of time since then.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:07 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It's a great exmaple of what happens when you leave the cupboard basically barren for over a decade.
Since the turn of the millennium, they've selected eleven goalies, ten of which were were not top 100 picks.
The only high pick was Enroth in the 2nd round.

Even though there are plenty of late round steals among goaltenders, breaking down the numbers even further makes things ugly and leads you to believe that they just suck at evaluating goalies.
If you remove the guys the jury is still out on (Knapp, Lieuwen, Ullmark), you're left with eight selected.
Of the eight, six of them never even played a game in the AHL and the other two were sub-par starters (Adam Dennis, who was the starter in one season and split with Craig Anderson in another and Enroth, who never posted quality numbers and had lost his job by the end of his AHL days).

I can understand ignoring it for a bit, especially since they had the Biron/Miller/Noronen group for a few years, but it's been a decent amount of time since then.
Nice breakdown. It is uber depressing. Is this yet another example of Regier sleeping at the wheel in regards to stocking a good Goalie or two? Or the Sabres scouts?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:39 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Nice breakdown. It is uber depressing. Is this yet another example of Regier sleeping at the wheel in regards to stocking a good Goalie or two? Or the Sabres scouts?
I don't think you can really blame anyone in particular for it, although you can make the case that it's the failure of both management and scouting.

The scouting budget was lean for a long period of time, but the hit rate is still terrible.
They also did very little in the way of undrafted free agent signings or trades for prospects.
If you look at pro side of things, who was the last backup that we had that was competent?
Besides maybe Tellqvist, who was in the organization for a whole two months, everyone has been pretty much useless.
The common argument that Regier likes "his guys" seems to be at work here, as the only netminders that have been able to be counted on in recent memory are Biron, Hasek, and Miller.
Those are three very good goaltenders, but still, they constantly swing and miss on supplementing them.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:45 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Personally I'd go after Bernier in LA sooner rather than later, trade off Enroth to a team needing a young goalie and split Bernier and Miller next season, or trade off Miller during the offseason and risk Bernier and Enroth/more experienced backup next season.

If he doesn't work out we'll have to find a way to patch it, quickly however if Myers & co can play to potential then the risk might be manageable.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:47 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I don't think Chicago needs goalie help though.
I'm not so sure they are happy relying on Mr.Anger management and a guy who's been a little inconsistent over the last couple of years. I'm pretty sure they'd jump at the chance to get Miller, maybe we could get Angry or Crawford in return?

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:10 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I have said this before on other threads.....

I look for Buffalo to move Pommers this season and in return look to get a young goalie (Bernier, Schneider, Fasth) back.

Then trade Miller to a team in the west. (Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim come to mind, Edmonton is another possibility)

As for UFAs...who knows then how they are doing and who was worth signing.

Miller as a UFA will want to go to Califonia to be closer to his wife.
You realize Fasth is going to be 31 this summer, Right?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:40 PM
drew5580
HFBoards Sponsor

ive been looking at this myself recently.

what I would do: let Miller walk. nothing to do with him or his ability but he will be 33 at that point and i dont see as big a difference between his 6.5 million dollar performance and cheaper goalies. I would pursue guys like Elliott, Halak or Crawford or explore options via trade like Bernier (who im sure will be gone by then), or some other good young goalie that cant break into the starting role where they are.

what I think they'll do: Sign Miller for a similar but smaller contract. I honestly think Miller likes this organization and wants to win here and would be willing to negotiate in order to keep Vanek, Pominville and maybe Ott here, who are all up at the same time as Miller.

drew5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Not to nitpick, but Fasth is not young.
He may be a rookie, but he's the same age as Jonas Hiller (Hiller is 31, Fasth turns 31 in August).

tl;dr none of the guys in the pipeline will be ready in the near future so just run with anything you can get, draft some for the future, and sign undrafted free agents and give them a chance.
Goalie age doesnt matter as much as forwards. A factor is a good goalie who can be gotten for cheap. Then it opens up more roster space for higher paying players.

Miller is what---$6M? If you can get a good goalie for about $2-3M for the next 4 seasons would be great.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
ive been looking at this myself recently.

what I would do: let Miller walk. nothing to do with him or his ability but he will be 33 at that point and i dont see as big a difference between his 6.5 million dollar performance and cheaper goalies. I would pursue guys like Elliott, Halak or Crawford or explore options via trade like Bernier (who im sure will be gone by then), or some other good young goalie that cant break into the starting role where they are.

what I think they'll do: Sign Miller for a similar but smaller contract. I honestly think Miller likes this organization and wants to win here and would be willing to negotiate in order to keep Vanek, Pominville and maybe Ott here, who are all up at the same time as Miller.
At 33 miller still has three to six years ahead of him. Perhaps not at his peak but still serviceable.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Enroth isn't dead

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:28 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

GCT: Goaltending *Contemplation* Thread

If you had your druthers for next year

Old
03-22-2013, 02:38 PM
AirBriere48

vCash: 2225
Trade Miller at the deadline, if the return is appropriate, and see how Jhonas finishes the season. If he continues to play well, pencil him in as the starter next year, but still bring in another goalie or two for backup/potential competition (Bishop, Holtby, etc). If his game falls apart again, look for starter elsewhere (Bernier, etc), and pencil Jhonas in as backup.

In either case, you should look to deal Miller at the deadline if the market looks good, and then base next year's goaltending depth chart off the remainder of this year's games.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Last option.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Sabresfansince1980

This fire sale mentality is leading fans to want the wrong players moved. Keep the good, upgrade on the bad.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

We need at least another goaltender to have a proper gct.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Makarov ZOMG!

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Djp

I would trade Miller and either get another veteran goalie (Halak, Crawford, Hiller) or younger NHL goalie looking for a starting job (Schneider, Bernier).

miller will get traded---the issue is when. Either this TD, next year TD, or at this summers draft.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:43 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
This is a different sort.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

And a pretty boring one.

real GCT >> this fake version

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Afino
The Juice

Duddy slangin' truth.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
None of the above.

I'm still not sold on Enroth at all.

Let him walk or trade him.

Keep Miller and trade for a young goalie to sit behind him for one more year.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Luceni

I want a Enroth/Schneider tandem.

Miller, Ennis, Leopold

for

Schneider, Kesler, Hamhius

Last edited by Luceni: 03-22-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote