HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 11:37 PM
PasDaSquini

vCash: 500
No need to bring Gardnier up. Leafs are winning without him, let him play in the AHL.

he will be up with the leafs at some point, likely after the deadline.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Carlyle obviously wants to be careful with Gardiner. He's a very special player who is suffering from a concussion. It's best that he's slowly reintroduced into the pros.

From what I heard from those who watch the Marlies, Gardiner is still not the same. He is still a strong skater, but just doesn't have the awareness that he had last season. It seems like he's improving so let's ruin the guy by rushing him.
The guy has 6 points in his last 5 games.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:42 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
So easy to play the coach-knows-best card instead of your own opinion... let's up the difficulty level.

Tell us why Kostka is a better option than Gardiner?
That is my opinion... Kostka is everything Gunnarson is only has more grit to his game and stronger. It's not Kostka that's holding Gardiner's spot it's Gunnarson the guy who's labled as Mr. underrated around these parts that has that spot but very few are saying to move him out and call Gardiner up.... It's easy to say Kostka is nothing but an AHLer because of the path he took to get to the NHL yet he's virtually the same player Gunnarson is in almost every way with the added ingridiant of grit to his game yet I don't here people calling Gunnarson and AHLer why?

toughness and stronger D in front of the net and in puck battles is the change on D that Carlyle has implemented in the make up of his D that wasn't around last year with Wilson in having 3 soft D men play big minutes in why this team has been better defensively this year. Teams are still out shooting the Leafs but the dirty areas are much more protected cause of the effectiveness of the 3 so called AHL guys on the team.

Gardiner should be with the Leafs but not at the expense of Kostka actually they should be a pairing together.

Move the overrated underrated Gunnarson LOL to bring up the much needed true puck moving D men back with the Leafs. Soft D men should be true puck movers not tweeners like Gunnarson for how this Leaf team is structured to play.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:45 PM
DPyro

Already posted this before but they are waiting for Morgan Rielly's season to be over so they don't lose a quality defenseman in the AHL.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Already posted this before but they are waiting for Morgan Rielly's season to be over so they don't lose a quality defenseman in the AHL.
Keeping the Marlies competitive shouldn't be a big reason to keep an NHLer down. Especially when it is wasting ELC time and there are other bodies who are more suitable for the minor leagues.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:00 AM
MoeMoney

LOL Dregger is getting desperate, he never should have left Sportnset, he's so overshadowed on TSN it's hilarious. They barely give him face time anymore, Bob MacKenzie is the only one worth listening to IMO because he's so spot on in everything he says and the man has connections.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Is the puck going to just magically end up on his stick? Because last year he was pretty bad at engaging opponents and winning puck battles to get himself in the position where he can just skate away with the puck like you think he is capable of.
Are you kidding me? Gardiner lead all Leafs defencemen in takeaways last season (tied - Gunnarsson). The puck was ALWAYS on his stick. He's smart with his stick, much like Lidstrom was, without having to be physical.

And no, I'm not saying he's the next Lidstrom, nor am I saying he's anywhere near Lidstrom. I'm just saying that there's more than one way to get the puck away from an opponent. You don't need to be a bruiser.

His shiftiness and mobility being a major asset, when he got the puck he was often able to skate the puck out of the Leafs zone himself. He also entered the offensive zone with the puck with ease, allowing the Leafs to retain possession and set up shop, most notably on powerplays. He possesses a lot of the same abilities as Erik Karlsson does, without the point-per-game offensive ability obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78
That is my opinion... Kostka is everything Gunnarson is only has more grit to his game and stronger. It's not Kostka that's holding Gardiner's spot it's Gunnarson the guy who's labled as Mr. underrated around these parts that has that spot but very few are saying to move him out and call Gardiner up.... It's easy to say Kostka is nothing but an AHLer because of the path he took to get to the NHL yet he's virtually the same player Gunnarson is in almost every way with the added ingridiant of grit to his game yet I don't here people calling Gunnarson and AHLer why?

toughness and stronger D in front of the net and in puck battles is the change on D that Carlyle has implemented in the make up of his D that wasn't around last year with Wilson in having 3 soft D men play big minutes in why this team has been better defensively this year. Teams are still out shooting the Leafs but the dirty areas are much more protected cause of the effectiveness of the 3 so called AHL guys on the team.

Gardiner should be with the Leafs but not at the expense of Kostka actually they should be a pairing together.

Move the overrated underrated Gunnarson LOL to bring up the much needed true puck moving D men back with the Leafs. Soft D men should be true puck movers not tweeners like Gunnarson for how this Leaf team is structured to play.
It has been well-established that Gunnarsson is playing through an injury. I prefer to evaluate him based on what he has shown us over the last 3 years (stability, a defensively-aware counterpart to Phaneuf) than over the last 6 weeks. Leafs Nation is far too "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" for my liking, and this is Exhibit A. You don't throw away a proven, dependable, veteran NHL defenceman on a whim like that. That's silliness.

The issue with Kostka isn't that he's "just an AHLer", it's that we have a better, more proven option on the farm who is being unfairly held back because of contract status.

Neither of you have made a compelling case for Kostka over Gardiner.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:03 AM
The Beyonder

The problem with this d-core... it is extremely one-dimensional. They need better puck movers. So many times our d-men would turnover the puck on such routine plays, happened so many times that my forehead had my palm imprint on it.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
The problem with this d-core... it is extremely one-dimensional. They need better puck movers. So many times our d-men would turnover the puck on such routine plays, happened so many times that my forehead had my palm imprint on it.
As good as Fraser has been, there are so many times during the course of a game when he's hemmed in, his footspeed is just killing us and yet we don't get scored on. It's good it's not costing goals, but bad because we're wasting time when one good outlet pass would have solved everything.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:14 AM
MoeMoney

We could use his offensive and puck-carrying ability, Carlyle said. Hes a special player. When he tells us hes ready, I would say were probably going to find a spot for him in the lineup.

Yeah, he sure hates Gardiner alright. After watching Phaneuf trip over his own shadow multiple times tonight, it's time for Gardiner to play. Too many physical slow moving d-men out there who can't move the puck fast enough and make silly turnovers that you know Gardiner wouldn't make. Just about had enough of the AHL expirement, bring back Liles and call up Jake.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Superstar

Patience with Kadri has done wonders...naturally that should extend to Gardiner who most recently suffered a concussion. Why do we need to rush him up when we're 11-5 in our last 16 games? Dreger is an idiot. I bet Carlyle told him he doesn't like Gardiner himself.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:21 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The guy has 6 points in his last 5 games.
Yes, I said. It seems like he's improving. It's five games at a much lower level than NHL. I can't watch the Marlies, but it seems sensible to wait it out.

I'd love to see him back, though. He'd really improve our performance on the transition.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:25 AM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 3000
How many times did we hear this about Kadri? Now look how much the organization loves him. This is just Toronto Media trying to stir up ******** with the next kid down the line. They can't talk **** about Kadri anymore so now lets make up stories about Gardiner.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:27 AM
ITM

Couldn't it simply be waiting for the right moment in which to bring Gardiner back? Chemistry aside, I don't think throwing him in the deep end (Boston) first game back would be the right time to bring him up...And we don't know if he's in the plans forthcoming.

And as another noted earlier, it's unreasonable to conclude Carlyle wouldn't like Gardiner given his play last season and RC's experience/appreciation with Fowler.

Far be it from Dreger to drum up sensational headlines without a shred of fact supporting them.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Since you didn't put up an explanation, as you can see, only person Gardiner isn't touching is Carlyle. Both never really liked each other. Rumor is that Carlyle wasn't happy with the pick at all, and a huge reason why Ducks added Gardiner to Lupul trade instead of a pick.

sarcasm

Old
03-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Inconceivable

I'd like it if gardiner took gunners spot beside kostka and we gave them the sheltered minutes. I think Fraser-franson can handle tougher competition

Old
03-08-2013, 12:55 AM
ponder

Gardiner is healthy now, and playing like he did last year. The fact that he's playing in the AHL is more or less proof that Carlyle isn't a big fan.

With that being said, Carlyle has won a cup, and the Leafs are better than they've been in YEARS with the current d squad. Lots of top teams have only 1-2 offensive dmen, and a whole bunch of unheralded but solid defensive dmen (think LA, St. Louis, Boston, NJ, etc.), that seems to be the route Carlyle is taking, and it's working out well for us in the win column. On paper leaving Gardiner and Liles off the team in favour of guys like Holzer, Fraser and Kostka is nuts, but we're winning so who cares?

With all that being said, I'm sure Gardiner will be back on the team at some point in the near future, probably well before the end of the season. But if Gardiner is truly 100% (as Eakins has stated), and Carlyle chooses not to have him on the team, that's basically proof that he has some reservations about where Gardiner's game is at right now.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:06 AM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
He was not a fan of Lupul in Anaheim.

So what? He had Phaneuf AIM for Lupul's arm?

Old
03-08-2013, 01:07 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Gardiner is healthy now, and playing like he did last year. The fact that he's playing in the AHL is more or less proof that Carlyle isn't a big fan.
No it doesn't. The only d-man on our team that is waiver exempt is Holzer, and he fills a physical role on the Leafs along with Fraser.

Kostka would be the logical choice for demotion considering their similar playing styles, but the Leafs don't want to lose him for nothing.

The only reason Gardiner isn't up here is because of contract status.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:45 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

once gardiner comes back he is up for good, so they are taking there time. in 3 more NHL games he has to clear waivers so they are waiting for a good package and letting gards play after when he has had all kinds of seasoning.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Rielly4

I dont buy this at all, Gardiner is 6 foot 2 he should have no problem being a good defensive player, i think hes just letting Dallas show him how to play defense a little more before they throw him into the fire... I feel like when he gets called up he will get a lot of ice time, where as when Rielly makes the team i think he will play bottom pairing kinda like what Kadris doing this year.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:09 AM
416Leafer

We're much higher in the standings than anybody expected us to be at this point.

Safe to say, Carlyle has a pretty good idea what he's doing.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Pyromaniac3

Simple reason: If we win, we don't need to tinker.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:10 AM
HockeyCrazed101

Maybe the team stil thinks Gardiner could benefit with a bit more conditioning games? Didn't Nonis say that they have to make room for when Gardiner returns? Nonis allows Carlyle to run his team as he sees fit and if Nonis is saying that they have to figure out what to do when 'when' Gardiner returns, then that doesn't come across to me like Gardiner is being held back because he's not wanted. Otherwise, why make an assured statement like that?

Gardiner is a special player who exceeded expectations at the NHL level. A Gardiner that is ready to return to an NHL lineup should be dancing around AHL talent. I haven't seen enough to have an opinion for myself if he's there yet but from what I've read, it seems like he's getting there but still could benefit with some time to regain his form in some areas.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Man Bear Pig

Someone will get dealt and he'll come in. People need to chill.

Closed Thread