HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 08:30 PM
RockLobster
Ron hates lying...

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Off topic (feel free to move this is if bothers anyone): I know one was sent down, but does anyone else have a nagging feeling we will see one of the Avs' D-men traded?
You may be right about that.

Currently with Elliott Down we have the following D-men on the roster

EJ
Hejda
Barrie
Wilson (when he returns which should be soon)
O'Brien
O'Byrne
Hunwick
Zanon

8 total Defensemen, and sure, the Avs were carrying 8 earlier in the season, but when Wilson returns, there really only needs to be 7 defensemen in my opinion, and even that might be overkill, because they do have Elliott/Pock/Gaunce down in LE that could be called up if an injury happens.

Any one of O'Brien/Hunwick/O'Byrne could be traded, outside possibility of Zanon, and I only say "outside chance" because he did just sign a contract as a UFA.

You've got to choose it to lose it, so let me plug it in. Robots are my next of kin.
Old
03-07-2013, 08:39 PM
BrickAHL
Not actually a brick

vCash: 50
I hope we trade Hunny/Zanon now and then trade O'Byrne at the deadline.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I hope we trade Hunny/Zanon now and then trade O'Byrne at the deadline.
You don't miss the goat until the stall is empty.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:38 PM
The Shermanator
cooler than kento

We all know Wilson is just going to get hurt again anyways.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Zandar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I've been thinking the same thing for a while, its' the Avs MO. It's just Barrie might be looking too good right now, and the D they get back might not be that far off in value.

I wonder what Staz and Barrie gets you though? A clear upgrade on D, and a lesser and cheaper forward.
Barrie is not going to be traded. I would imagine we should watch Columbus as a potential destination for Stastny. Love to see them pry Atkinson and a D from Columbus. Some solid options for top 4 Ds.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Barrie is not going to be traded. I would imagine we should watch Columbus as a potential destination for Stastny. Love to see them pry Atkinson and a D from Columbus. Some solid options for top 4 Ds.
He is not untouchable. It all depends on the package, or the D coming back. I think there's a chance you may end up getting surprised.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Barrie is not going to be traded.
I'd consider trading any of our defensemen. Even EJ. In fact the only two guys I would not trade on the team are Landeskog and Duchene.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:23 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
He is not untouchable. It all depends on the package, or the D coming back. I think there's a chance you may end up getting surprised.
Its a tough pill to swallow to lose Shattenkirk and Barrie.

That puts ALOT of pressure on Elliott to pan out.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
We all know Wilson is just going to get hurt again anyways.
I used to say that about Jones. Now I'm a bad human being and wish it about him too.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:08 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I'd consider trading any of our defensemen. Even EJ. In fact the only two guys I would not trade on the team are Landeskog and Duchene.
Well you did say the most Barrie becomes is a 2nd/3rd pairing tweener at best so I can see why.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Zandar

Quote:
While anybody could be traded, it would have to be a significant package or deal to see him move. The Avs main MO is to trade from a position of strength or to acquire players that are being sold "low". The Avs have an abundance of marginal Ds and a lot of goalie prospects. To move Barrie would create a hole in the talented offensive Ds that they have. Barrie made Shattenkirk expendable. Elliott does not make Barrie expendable as they are different types of offensive Ds and are right handed. After them you have nothing like them. The potential of EJ, Barrie and Elliott down the right side is something to look forward to as a possibility. The left side is full from the NHL level to the minors with no top pairing D. Plenty of other movable assets that's not Barrie...especially prospect wise to a team like the BJs who are looking for youth.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:37 AM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 120
Quote:
While anybody could be traded, it would have to be a significant package or deal to see him move. The Avs main MO is to trade from a position of strength or to acquire players that are being sold "low". The Avs have an abundance of marginal Ds and a lot of goalie prospects. To move Barrie would create a hole in the talented offensive Ds that they have. Barrie made Shattenkirk expendable. Elliott does not make Barrie expendable as they are different types of offensive Ds and are right handed. After them you have nothing like them. The potential of EJ, Barrie and Elliott down the right side is something to look forward to as a possibility. The left side is full from the NHL level to the minors with no top pairing D. Plenty of other movable assets that's not Barrie...especially prospect wise to a team like the BJs who are looking for youth.

sorry I had to so excited for Game of Thrones

back on topic, I do agree with you, I'd much prefer to keep Barrie, at least for right now

Old
03-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Its a tough pill to swallow to lose Shattenkirk and Barrie.

That puts ALOT of pressure on Elliott to pan out.
This is where I think people put too much stock into a young defensive prospect like Barrie. He looks promising, and I'll admit it's possible there's a level he could get to that would make it a bad trade, but he's not untouchable.

It doesn't put pressure on Elliott if it's a proven offensive D coming back. What are we realisticlly hoping for with Barrie? Probably not that he'll become a great all around defenseman, but that he'll become a good offensive defensemen.

I'm not advocating trading him, but rather saying that it fits the Avs MO to trade a player like Barrie at this point where his value is high, but his future isn't really certain.

They may or may not have to trade Staz as it is just to make the team better. If they plan to go with O'Reilly moving forward as the #2C, and to give Duchene and him the right ice time and linemates, that may be likely. However Staz by himself is a tough sell on that contract, and only one year left. So you're running the risk of losing him for nothing, or not getting much in return.

So if bringing in a left handed offensive D to play with EJ is the priority, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Avs package Staz with Barrie for a more proven LH D that is what we hope Barrie will eventually become as a righty, and bring back another piece as well. We'd still have Elliott as an offensive D prospect in the pipeline.

If they don't have plans of re-signing Stastny, then that may be the best package they can put forth right now. Barrie looks flashy but isn't racking up the points either. Maybe he will in the future, and there's reason for him not putting up points that are out of his control, but then again maybe not and this is the highest his value will ever be.

If they make the right trade, at worst I think it could be lateral in terms of Barrie vs the D they bring in, but the guy they bring in would be a lefty. If they do their homework right, the other piece could be a solid winger that would replace Hejduk next year, and help the PK, and then at worst you got equal value for Barrie, but as a lefty, and a solid piece for Stastny that you weren't going to re-sign anyway.

At best you get a really good D partner for EJ, and good complimentary piece, and Barrie looks good offensively but never rounds out his overall game, and only actually puts up about 20-30 points a season, and Staz plans to bolt to St Louis or go for top dollar either way.

Again I'm not pushing the idea of trading Barrie, I'd rather keep him, but given the D coming back, I wouldn't be surprised to see him packaged with Stastny, and it very well could end up being a good trade in the end.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:08 AM
cgf
Fire [new coach]

Wonder how good of an EJ partner we'd get for Elliott/Barrie and Staz/ROR/Our Pick this year.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Wonder how good of an EJ partner we'd get for Elliott/Barrie and Staz/ROR/Our Pick this year.
That might be pushing it IMO. I think what ever the equal value for that is, we don't realistically get back.

I think they may have some strong plans on a 3rd line center in that two way mold of ROR like a Monahan/Gauthier/Lazar with their 1st, and that will reinstante the 3 center approach they were going for before.

Last edited by Mystic MacK: 03-08-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old
03-08-2013, 01:23 AM
cgf
Fire [new coach]

Quote:
That might be pushing it IMO. I think what ever the equal value for that is, we don't realistically get back.
That's why I was wondering what we could realistically get for that. Cause I'd take a little loss in value if it brought back the right guy to play with EJ. Cause that's by far our biggest need. We also need a dynamic winger, as Landy is our only really excellent winger, the rest are just really good supporting staff, but that need isn't as profound. So I don't mind focusing our assets a little to hard on that EJ partner and relying on FA and the draft to fill out our wings. Cause if we could get someone like say Vlasic or Edler next to EJ I'd totally give up Staz or our first and Elliott.

McGinn - Dutchy - PAP
Landy - Staz/ROR - Downie/Jones
Sgar - Malkin/ROR/Staz - Jones/Downie
Bordy - Malone/FA/Malkin - Olver

Vlasic - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
SOB - Wilson
Siemens

is a team I'd totally go to war with if we got a real coach.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
That's why I was wondering what we could realistically get for that. Cause I'd take a little loss in value if it brought back the right guy to play with EJ. Cause that's by far our biggest need. We also need a dynamic winger, as Landy is our only really excellent winger, the rest are just really good supporting staff, but that need isn't as profound. So I don't mind focusing our assets a little to hard on that EJ partner and relying on FA and the draft to fill out our wings. Cause if we could get someone like say Vlasic or Edler next to EJ I'd totally give up Staz or our first and Elliott.

McGinn - Dutchy - PAP
Landy - Staz/ROR - Downie/Jones
Sgar - Malkin/ROR/Staz - Jones/Downie
Bordy - Malone/FA/Malkin - Olver

Vlasic - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
SOB - Wilson
Siemens

is a team I'd totally go to war with if we got a real coach.
You're right in terms of the dynamic winger. No one seems to mention this, but yes that is what they need too in addition to help on the blueline. They have plenty of good complimentary forwards, but they need a highly talented guy to make plays happen. Right now all they basically have is Duchene in that mold.

They aren't getting this kind of player in addition to a top D though, so there's probably no need to package that 1st with Staz and Barrie IMO. Even if it is top ten protected, they aren't likely getting the right kind of return.

I do think they could potentially get a return that at worst would be equal value in terms of Barrie vs the D they brought in with a Staz+Barrie combo. I'd rather they see what they can do without that, but it's possible they don't have enough to entice another team.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:18 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Of course it isn't realistic, notice I said if St. Louis overpaid. A realistic deal is something like a Berglund + Rattie for Stastny. Maybe some picks are swapped around like Colorado adds a 2nd and St Louis adds a 1st (so basically the Avs move up 10-12 spots), but that isn't needed IMO. A pick will not be a center piece of a deal around Stastny.

That would be a trade that would give a #3 center right away, and a top 6 potential RW that could be ready for NHL duty in 14-15. Plus free up around an extra $3m to go shopping for a defensemen. I'd think that the Avs would be very interested in that deal. It probably isn't the best deal around, but one that fits what the Blues need and what the Avs need.
I had suggested Berglund+1st for Stastny and most of my board threw a ***** fit at that. Some fans on our board get attached to a player and being on a budget team, they absolutely fear high contracts. Would love to see Staz on the Blues as I think it gives Staz wingers to play with and could return to a 70+ point player. I really wish we could shell out more for Staz but I think Berglund+1st would be the absolute highest we could go because of his contract and how well Berglund has performed this season.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:28 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Problem with Berglund is that he's a RFA that has 11 goals in 23 games this year. He'll probably expect a hefty raise this summer and you have no idea if he would be happy being stuck being Duchene and O'Reilly to start with. It's not the type of deal you make just hoping everything will work out.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:39 AM
Bluesman91

Berglund is a pretty laid back and care free guy. I think being 3C would improve his game because he won't be relied upon as much as he does being the Blues' 2nd line center, he really is more of a 3C guy that would be a great replacement if injury occured to the 1st or 2nd line center. He's showed this year he can work great on the powerplay and has been using his size to advantage much more. And yes it would be big risks for both teams. To me, it's worth the risk, but obviously not everyone would feel the same way.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
What are we realisticlly hoping for with Barrie? Probably not that he'll become a great all around defenseman, but that he'll become a good offensive defensemen.
Disagree with this. I think after the last 10 games or so we have seen from Barrie, his potential should be higher then previously expected. His 2 way game has been very good, better then expected.

At this point I think he has Top pairing potential, possibly in the mold of Shatty or Yandle. At the beginning of the season I wouldn't have expected more then a #3 Offensive Dman, but his play this year has very much changed my opinion of him.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Ceremony
The game is rigged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
You don't miss the goat until the stall is empty.
The goat has one leg and smells funny. Make it go away please.

03-08-2013, 09:51 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
This is where I think people put too much stock into a young defensive prospect like Barrie. He looks promising, and I'll admit it's possible there's a level he could get to that would make it a bad trade, but he's not untouchable.
Barrie better be untouchable. Many Avs fans are still regretting that we traded Shattenkirk. Barrie will be even better than him imo. If he was a little taller we wouldn't be searching for a #2 dman right now. And who knows? The way he's playing this season he might even become a #2 dman despite being a little short.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Barrie's not untouchable, no one is...but I for one would be furious if he were traded. Shattenkirk was dealt because the team was banking on one or both of Barrie and Elliott to develop. Trade those guys and to me that makes me feel more than ever that this team never really had a rebuild plan in place.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Barrie is Dan Boyle light right now. There is a possibility that he could develop into a full Dan Boyle clone. I don't think you trade a player like that away without a huge overpayment. Give Barrie another year and we will forget all about Shattenkirk (Shatty will always be better offensively, but Barrie will be better all around).

Closed Thread