HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone using Hockey Tron gear?

Old
02-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

vCash: 500
I've got a Visor, and its pretty great...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:39 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
We sell their sticks at my rink i work at (roller). My boss broke 2 sticks on 3 shots and 3 sticks in less then 4 peridos of play. They're cheap and you essentially get what you pay for.

I have yet to know anyone (at least 20 sticks were talking about) use one past 35 games.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:55 AM
leftwinger37

I've shopped with them since they started and have bought quite a few things. Of everything that I have bought, I use the S40 visor, the Dry Fit Socks, and the 1st gen 405 OPS (the all black carbon fiber one; think SWD Undercover vs. S19) regularly have no complaints about their quality.

Other people have been using the phrase "you get what you pay for." I would say this is appropriate when describing their equiptment; The quality is not exceptional but it perfoms as well as anything on the market that costs 2-3 times more. I know I have spent some pretty good coin for equiptment from big name manufacturers and not gotten what I paid for.

If you're strictly about bang for your buck and you're not label conscious, check them out. Even if you're not keen on their Tron branded equiptment, they offer good email specials/coupons for the other items that they carry.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
n3gkiwi

Their grip tape doesn't look too bad (both stretchy and non stretchy). Has anyone bought/used it?

n3gkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3gkiwi View Post
Their grip tape doesn't look too bad (both stretchy and non stretchy). Has anyone bought/used it?
I haven't tried their grip tape, but I am a fan of the stick tape. I only tried it because I was about $5.00 from free shipping on my purchase so I picked up a couple of rolls. I always try to have a bunch of tape on hand so that I don't run out, so I just thew it into the mix. I was impressed when I noticed that I was averaging about 2-3 skates on each tape job with the Tron tape as opposed to one with Renfrew (about all that is available in the local shops). I liked it so much that I placed a bulk order. If my tape jobs continue to last this long, I will not need tape for at least a year.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
I just ordered a pair of their house brand inline skates for skating around with my dog and maybe some street hockey or general crossover practice, etc. to improve my skating as a referee on ice.

Not really expecting much out of them but I'll let you guys know what I think of them once I get them. Will probably replace the wheels on the with a harder durometer (depending on what they ship with, they say they come with "outdoor" wheels but who knows) and a slightly rockered setup, maybe a 74-76-76-74.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
polarbearoption

Tron Stick review

I looked at a few sites, including this post, to see what I could find out about Tron sticks. I was disapointed at the lack of information, but figured for $100 I would take a chance on it. I purchased the 405XS grip. As a way of background, I played college hockey in the late 1990's and currently play in an A division of a men's league. I now play forward (I was a defensemen my whole life) and am about 190 pounds. I am generally one of the leading scorers in my league (not bragging, as it is just a beer league, but I think it helps to know the level of the reviewer). The other sticks I have and have recently used were the CCM crazy light and the Easton RS (?). Both top of the line sticks over $200.

Now for the review. First impression. It was light. Very light. Made me a touch nervous it was so light. When I got into warm ups, my first thoughts were that it was OK for shooting (which is fairly normal for me with a new stick line as I never try a new one and have all my shots go where I want. Maybe it is me?). Decent pop, not the best but not the worst. Stickhandling felt very nice, seemed to have a good enough balance, and just felt good when I had the puck. I was impressed with the speed on my first slap shot, had a nice flex for a mens league slapper where you don't really lean into it. May be a touch too much flex ( I got 87) to really bear down, but only an ass really bears down at my age. Passing was accurate, so far so good.
The first concern came when I got a hard pass in tight on my backhand. Stick felt a little soft on it (had to be the stick not me missing it). After getting a few more similar passes, it seems that when passes were in tight, something was off. I am guessing it is more the lie, but but could be based on how the blade is fused. It is not made to the same standards as some of the top sticks, in that the seams are more noticable.
The stick broke in the 2nd shift of my third game, which did make me sad. I had received a few big slashes in the couple games I played, but durability was now a concern. It was still under the warranty so I emailed to send it back. I did not get an email back (huh, this might be bad) but did call a little over a week later and the guy on the phone sent me the info. I shipped it back (had to pay $10 to Tron for return shipping in addition to cost to ship it to them. This was different than other sticks). If it were off the warranty I would not have gotten another Tron. But since it was I was willing to delay my final decision on quality as I have broken plenty of sticks in the first couple of games. Once they received my stick I got the replacement back in two days, which was a nice surprise.
I have used the replacement stick for a little under two months of weekly play and a weekend tourny where I played 5 games. It is holding up as well as any stick I have had except for one Old Easton Stealth that is a beast and I use only when a game gets verry chippy and I don't want to break my real stick when I slash back and break their stick. So I do like the stick. Enough that I just ordered the 100k and will follow up in a few months.

So I think the sticks are a good deal. I would not say they are just as good as the top end $250 stick. A little less pop and that issue with the blade flex in the heel. The light weight is something I like, others may feel it is too light. In conclusion I have recommended them toeveryone of my team (no takers yet which is actually a little surprising) and will continue to buy them until something makes me want to stopr until something cooler comes along. That is my full and honest review. I have no affilitation with Tron, just wanted to add an opinion to a subject that is very limited.

polarbearoption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
CaptBrannigan

As a hockey retailer, was very turned off by their sales reps. Was pulling stuff off the shelves/racks trying to tell us it was the same but had no response to when asked about the obvious differences.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for making gear more accessible for everyone I just hate when consumers are mislead.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundblad View Post
I just ordered a pair of their house brand inline skates for skating around with my dog and maybe some street hockey or general crossover practice, etc. to improve my skating as a referee on ice.

Not really expecting much out of them but I'll let you guys know what I think of them once I get them. Will probably replace the wheels on the with a harder durometer (depending on what they ship with, they say they come with "outdoor" wheels but who knows) and a slightly rockered setup, maybe a 74-76-76-74.
I still don't know what the durometer was for the wheels they came with, but they're complete trash. They had no grip on smooth surfaces whatsoever, which I guess is understandable if they're "outdoor" wheels, but then they got practically destroyed trying them on rougher but still relatively "smooth" surfaces like unsealed concrete. Went to complete hell when I took them into the street on the tarmac. That said, a set of hard durometer replacement wheels is like $20 shipped so it's not that big of a deal.

The boot fit feels pretty good after a relatively short break-in time and they're nice and lightweight. Good purchase for what I use them for, not sure if I'd want to play competitive inline hockey with them, but I'll never find out since I prefer ice and don't really touch inline.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
MattB43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
lol they are chara bombs and crosby dishes, lol iafrate and oates
This isn't related to the thread but I just wanted to say every time i click into this thread I see this at the top and it cracks me up.

On topic, I bought a tron visor and it seems to work fine. Haven't taken any shots off of it though, maybe I'll end up regretting it when it explodes the first time it takes a hit.

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote