HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: Quickest turnaround for a North American arena/stadium ever?

Old
03-07-2013, 02:11 PM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
OT: Quickest turnaround for a North American arena/stadium ever?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/7...alcons-stadium

I'm just glad the Falcons/NFL are footing 4/5 of the bill since they probably knew asking for too much so soon would look iffy.

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:30 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Charlotte Coliseum

Opened 1988
Declared "inadequate" with demand for public to fund a replacement - 1999
Closed - 2005
Demolished - 2007

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator

vCash: 1425
MSG I - Opened 1879
MSG II - Opened 1890

That's over a hundred years ago, so I'm not sure if that counts.

Glass from Girardi is practically a mathematical impossibility. I'm glad to have witnessed this great Rangers moment. -Bob Richards
I'd hate to know what the toilet facilities look like after a game with the way this team aims... -Megustaelhockey
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:27 PM
epo

Miami Arena

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Frank Booth

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
Miami Arena
I remember when the NBA did that expansion and the rule was a minimum of 15,000 seats, and IIRC the basketball capacity was 15,003. I thought that I read that they built it bare bones, and the NBA even forced some additions before the Heat could play.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
gstommylee

Is this only for torn and replace or would something like Key arena count since the renovations was in 95 and is currently being replaced (if sodo arena happens) as main sporting arena in Seattle? Its been 18 years since that 95 renovations.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Aero 75

Houston Astrodome

Opened - 1965
Abandoned - 1999
Demolished - Still Waiting

Aero 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:37 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 75 View Post
Houston Astrodome

Opened - 1965
Abandoned - 1999
I think stadiums like the Astrodome are expensive to demolish. I heard that's a reason why the Big Owe was never demolished.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I think stadiums like the Astrodome are expensive to demolish. I heard that's a reason why the Big Owe was never demolished.
Also with Astrodome, many preservationists are lobbying to his declared a historic landmark being the first dome stadium.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:47 PM
aqib

Alamodome for basketball was only used 93-02. Miami Arena lasted 88-99. The Pyramid in Memphis opened in 91 and was replaced in 04 because when the Grizzlies came to town they decided it wasn't good enough. The original Arco Arena lasted 3 years but it was always meant as a temporary place until the bigger arena was built.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:44 PM
cutchemist42

Seems like the LCD of all these cases is being built in the 80s. Did that many 80s arenas not see luxury boxes coming?

Old
03-08-2013, 01:19 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Seems like the LCD of all these cases is being built in the 80s. Did that many 80s arenas not see luxury boxes coming?
More like club seating. Same reason the Bucks want the Bradley Center replaced. They wanted it renovated less than 10 years after it was built to add club seats. Target Center in Minneapolis wants a huge (I think $150 million) renovation to add club seats as well.

All of those late 80s buildings weren't built with club seats, then the United Center was built with club seats in 1992 I believe and all of those other buildings became obsolete just 5 years later.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:35 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563
Camden Yards and the United Center were the game changers...which hurt the NBA more than anyone because so many of their buildings were built in the 80s, rendering them obsolete before their 10th birthday in most cases.

It's not just indoor arenas either...Chicago was at the forefront in one movement, but a dinosaur in another - U.S. Cellular Field (then Comiskey Park II) was the last pre-Camden Yards stadium built in baseball and by the time it was entering it's 10th year it was already one of the worst stadiums in the league. Over the course of half a decade they spent almost as much money as it cost to build it to renovate it into a more tolerable stadium. Timing can be a *****...had the White Sox decided to give their 80 year-old stadium another year of life they could have potentially been the team to kick-off the faux-retro trend in baseball instead of having a stadium firmly stuck in-between eras.

On a similar note to the Georgia Dome - the Edward Jones Dome, or whatever the hell they're calling the home of the St. Louis Rams these days. Opened in 1995 and acted as the reason why the Los Angeles Rams moved to St. Louis...and by 2015 it may be the reason they moved back to Los Angeles.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:19 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
That was certainly the case with the Charlotte Coliseum. A huge arena built to maximize butts in seats, but contained very few luxury options. Opened in 1988 and was "obsolete" within a few years.

Public outrage at the suggestion of footing the bill for another new arena was the main reason that the Hornets were given their walking papers, and it's starting to look like it may have been the end of the NBA in Charlotte altogether.

No problem packing 21,000 fans into the building, but they couldn't make it work because of luxury boxes :

Old
03-08-2013, 08:54 AM
cutchemist42

The addition of club seating is that much? Is that to add club seating's own bar area and stuff?

Old
03-08-2013, 08:55 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Camden Yards and the United Center were the game changers...which hurt the NBA more than anyone because so many of their buildings were built in the 80s, rendering them obsolete before their 10th birthday in most cases.

It's not just indoor arenas either...Chicago was at the forefront in one movement, but a dinosaur in another - U.S. Cellular Field (then Comiskey Park II) was the last pre-Camden Yards stadium built in baseball and by the time it was entering it's 10th year it was already one of the worst stadiums in the league. Over the course of half a decade they spent almost as much money as it cost to build it to renovate it into a more tolerable stadium. Timing can be a *****...had the White Sox decided to give their 80 year-old stadium another year of life they could have potentially been the team to kick-off the faux-retro trend in baseball instead of having a stadium firmly stuck in-between eras.

On a similar note to the Georgia Dome - the Edward Jones Dome, or whatever the hell they're calling the home of the St. Louis Rams these days. Opened in 1995 and acted as the reason why the Los Angeles Rams moved to St. Louis...and by 2015 it may be the reason they moved back to Los Angeles.
How bad can the Rams' dome be if built in the 90s? He's likely turning a profit since Deadspin showed even one of the worst NFL franchises in Carolina earned $117 mil in profits over the last 2 years.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Lord J T Shark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 75 View Post
Houston Astrodome

Opened - 1965
Abandoned - 1999
http://news.yahoo.com/cost-demolitio...165900292.html

that fact that harris still owes money on the building

03-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Well, it took Montreal 30 years to finally pay for that stadium.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:54 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/7...alcons-stadium

I'm just glad the Falcons/NFL are footing 4/5 of the bill since they probably knew asking for too much so soon would look iffy.
Key Arena was completely renovated with the NBA's blessing in 1996. In 2006 the NBA said it was no longer suitable, and that Seattle needed a brand new arena. And people wonder why the city didn't jump to build a new arena.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Well, it took Montreal 30 years to finally pay for that stadium.
how can that be? lottery tickets, commemorative coins and cigarette taxes were supposed to pay for it within a few years. next you will try to tell me that taxpayers ended up footing the bill too!

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:13 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
The addition of club seating is that much? Is that to add club seating's own bar area and stuff?
The design of the arena made it impossible to add a substantial number of boxes. The sightlines and slope of the bowl just wouldn't have accommodated it.

Now, bear in mind this was all under discussion at a time when luxury boxes were the rage. Club seats, as we now think of them, weren't really the focus.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Brodie
voted best

The Georgia Dome is more egregious than most of these examples... Unlike Miami Arena or the Charlotte Coliseum, which were built before those cities acquired pro franchises, it's a perfectly up to date building that's about to be replaced because tastes in NFL stadium design have changed and domes have fallen out of favor. At least Blank seems to understand how frivolous this is, but I really feel the city of Atlanta would be well within their rights to tell him to get lost.

I wonder how long it will be before the overburdened taxpayer here in Michigan is paying for a retrofit of Ford Field to add at least a retractable window to our otherwise totally state of the art stadium

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:25 PM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Are the lifespan of stadiums increasing?

Rogers Arena is already 18 years old and shows no signs of wear and tear. I remember arenas back in the 90's that were around that age and were already in talks about being replaced.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The Georgia Dome is more egregious than most of these examples... Unlike Miami Arena or the Charlotte Coliseum, which were built before those cities acquired pro franchises, it's a perfectly up to date building that's about to be replaced because tastes in NFL stadium design have changed and domes have fallen out of favor. At least Blank seems to understand how frivolous this is, but I really feel the city of Atlanta would be well within their rights to tell him to get lost.

I wonder how long it will be before the overburdened taxpayer here in Michigan is paying for a retrofit of Ford Field to add at least a retractable window to our otherwise totally state of the art stadium
I did not know it wasn't up-to-date still, if I'm Atlanta then I would have contributed $100 mil or less.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I did not know it wasn't up-to-date still, if I'm Atlanta then I would have contributed $100 mil or less.
Just to update, yesterday, Blank and the city agreed on a deal for a $billion$ retractable roof stadium. Arthur will pony up $800 mil from his own pockets and investors and the city will put up the $200 mil from its hotel/motel tax. In turn, Blank also has to put some cash (not sure how much...$50 mil?) into the surrounding community. Most likely, the area will be newer retail, bars, and restaurants.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote