HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Dion Phaneuf to Edmonton

Old
03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
I'd do a deal around Phaneuf for Klefbom.

I know he's a highly touted prospect... meanwhile it's difficult to gauge what Phaneuf's real value is. Not sure if the Leafs would have to add, or the Oilers.
Leafs wouldn't have to add, but the Oil would have to add salary regardless of the +/-

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:53 PM
kihei

vCash: 3001
Quote:

I know he's a highly touted prospect... meanwhile it's difficult to gauge what Phaneuf's real value is. Not sure if the Leafs would have to add, or the Oilers.
God damn. How is it that even in make-believe deals we keep ending up trading assets for defensemen all the time? Centres seem as rare as black pearls when it comes to us.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:04 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
I think you would be hard pressed to find a Oiler fan that would want Dion Phaneuf, saw too much of him when he was with the Flames to know you want nothing to do with him.

Pipe dream to think the Oilers would trade Klefbom away, they have high hopes for him.

Pass on any deal involving Dion Phaneuf.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
Edmonton sucks but that doesn't mean we should firesale everything. This is a ridiculous underpayment for Hall.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:30 AM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Edmonton sucks but that doesn't mean we should firesale everything. This is a ridiculous underpayment for Hall.
As a flames fan I couldn't agree more, Not sure what happened to him but Phaneuf is terrible,near the bottom of the league in +/- at -10 on a team that's +10 in goals for.did he forget how to skate? did he forget how to smash people with crazy hits? To me it's addition by subtraction for the flames,I wouldn't want him near my fragile team the way he plays.

Not sold on Hall's smarts but he works hard/plays hard,he's young and learning,probably will end up being a solid 60-70 point player someday but is certainly more valuable than Phaneuf.

Should be a fun time next year when Phaneuf is an impending UFA looking to still make $6.5m a year.

Johnnybegood13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:39 AM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

The Oil definitely needs to do some move, but not at the expense of their "kids".

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:49 AM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
The Oil definitely needs to do some move, but not at the expense of their "kids".
Serious question? how many years have to go by before this attitude needs to stop, this was the same song and dance when Hemsky was 20 years old...that was 9 years ago.Good teams use their assets to make a better team,bad teams hold on to them a teach loosing!

Johnnybegood13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:11 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Bad move for both teams.

From the Leafs perspective, it would cost a big minute eating defensemen, and some very solid role players/prospect(s). Something I don't think we can afford that now. Would upgrading JVR/Lupul to Hall be worth the price it would cost? If we were talking about upgrading Bozak to RNH, it'd be a different matter, but the Oilers wouldn't touch that proposal with a ten foot pole, either. And rightfully so.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Barilkos Ghost

Start to imagine that the plus is most likely Gardiner, and have a look at the Leafs already suspect D after the trade. One starts to see why some Leafs fans would be a little wary of trading away our best defenceman now, and Captain, and our highly touted young PMD, particularly for a player who, as great and talented as he is, doesn't address a need, and actually adds to a growing log jam.

The Leafs, to almost everyone's surprise, are not in a position right now where this sort of move makes immediate sense.

Now, if we lose the next 8 straight and we're out of the playoffs by the deadline, yeah we take this deal and laugh maniacally as we run away before Tambellini sobers up.

Last edited by Brian Boyle: 03-10-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Barilkos Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

Quote:

even at his contract, Phaneuf is easily more valuable then Klefbom

proven top 30 defenseman>prospect with top pairing upside

Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Hall has driven the Oilers to back to back first overall picks since he's been there, now I'm not really going to say that it was entirely his fault, but he certainly hasn't seemed to help the situation much.

Personally, I don't think Edmonton would be set back too much if they did trade one of their big 4 forwards to get some much needed depth on the team. Dion would be paired with Justin on the top line almost immediately which would give them a pretty solid top pairing. If Toronto were to add in some picks/good prospect I imagine Edmonton would atleast have to think about it.
Since drafting Tavares the Islanders have finished in the bottom 5 slots every year and are currently 2 points ahead of the Oilers with the Oilers having one game in hand. Perhaps it is time to trade Tavares for some depth. Clearly he is not helping the Islanders improve as a team.

Does this seem to be sound reasoning?

Trading Hall for Dion + picks/prospects is not in any way something the Oilers will be think about.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:39 AM
Rielly4

For the leafs this is an obvious trade just because Hall is a gem even though it leaves our current teams defence in shambells. The thing with Edmonton is they have too many pure skill players in this NHL you need some two way guys and some guys who are good on the wall and on the forecheck. They dont need to trade any of their stars but they need some big strong guys up front.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
seconded
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
leafs turning down the deal --lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
No, from Leafs? Just like that? If I'm Nonis, I do anything but hang up the phone at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
This absolutely boggles my mind.
I bet none of you watch the Leafs. We have no one on the roster, absolutely no one ready to replace 25mins on our blue line.

Hall is an enticing piece but not worth giving up our number 1 defender. Offense is the least of our worries right now considering Leafs sit at 6th in Goals per game. Also. Hall hasn't played a full season yet. Phaneuf is worth way more to the Leafs than Hall could at this point in time.

I will be all up for trading Kessel for Hall though.

Last edited by Brian Boyle: 03-10-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Pyromaniac3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Woll Smoth

We have wingers
We have Kostka, Fraser and Holzer patrolling our blueline

I wouldn't do it.

The Leafs would have to flip Hall/Kessel for another #1 D-man and fill the #3 C or W spot.

Woll Smoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:49 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yideboit View Post
First things first, I don't know if this has been posted before ... nor do i care to look for it... so lets just skip the "OMG YOU ARE A BAD HF'ER THIS HAS BEEN POSTED 2345256783 TIMES BEFORE!!!" because i simply don't care!

Edmonton gets:
Dion Phaneuf
Jay McClement/Nikolai Kulemin
+ ?

Toronto gets:
Taylor Hall

Now I know the "+" could be somewhat substantial ... maybe a high-ish end d-prospect + a good pick, but with the struggles that Edmonton is still having is it maybe time to look at building some depth and then re-evaluate? I've also seemed to notice that Edmonton lacks a bit of a spark most games, and doesn't really have that "energy/depth" player to compliment their many elite offensive players.

Also, I (being a Leafs fan) am aware that this could illicit the "why change whats working" or something similar, but I haven't been impressed with Dion's game this year, and frankly, with the risk that Kessel is going to have massive contract demands, I think the Leafs need a plan B if Kessel wants too much!

Would something along these lines be interesting to the Oilers? Not saying this exact deal, but something along the lines of moving one of their big 3 for a young-ish top pairing dman, and some depth/additional futures?
As an Oiler fan I would trade one of the kids for a d man . Dion is not one of them . Also Taylor Hall and RNH would be the ones that would not be traded

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Brock Radunske
안양종합운동장 빙상장

vCash: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
No from Leafs.
I agree. We don't need more winger. Hall would be nice, but he won't put us over the top and especially not at the expense of our captain and top defenseman, out top checking forward(s) and our top defensive prospect.
That package is reserved solely for a #1C with size.

Brock Radunske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Brock Radunske
안양종합운동장 빙상장

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokocanuck View Post
I agree. We don't need more winger. Hall would be nice, but he won't put us over the top and especially not at the expense of our captain and top defenseman, out top checking forward(s) and our top defensive prospect.
That package is reserved solely for a #1C with size.
To clarify, I see why everyone thinks the Leafs would be stupid for not doing this and how the Oilers would never accept it and you're right. The bottom line is, the Leafs become a worst team by making this trade.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Hall has driven the Oilers to back to back first overall picks since he's been there, now I'm not really going to say that it was entirely his fault, but he certainly hasn't seemed to help the situation much.

Personally, I don't think Edmonton would be set back too much if they did trade one of their big 4 forwards to get some much needed depth on the team. Dion would be paired with Justin on the top line almost immediately which would give them a pretty solid top pairing. If Toronto were to add in some picks/good prospect I imagine Edmonton would atleast have to think about it.
Edmonton gained 12 pts as a team between the 2010/11 season and 2011/12. How much more do you expect a couple teenagres to do in their early years?

Edmonton might trade one of the big 4, but it won't be Hall. Yakupov is the one seen as most likely to be moved as he's a luxury. The difference between Hall in the lineup and out is phenominal. He's already the heart and soul of the team which speaks more about our veteran presence or lak thereof than anything.

Outside of Pitts and NYI I can't recall any teams that were THAT reliant on fresh drafted talent to be the primary threats on the ice for a long time.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:07 AM
BigDaddyLurch
#Habs-R-FUBAR

Even Tambellini isn't dumb enough to make this trade.

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:07 AM
ChesapeakeRipper
Tres Comma Club

not interested. Phaneuf's our #1 dman and captain. he's more important to our team ATM than Hall would be to us. Yes Taylor hall has excellent potential, but edmontons better off keeping him. He's vital to their future. I'd move gardiner before phaneuf (regarding any trade).

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:22 AM
leaflover
Stanley Cup 2022

vCash: 3224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
As a flames fan I couldn't agree more, Not sure what happened to him but Phaneuf is terrible,near the bottom of the league in +/- at -10 on a team that's +10 in goals for.did he forget how to skate? did he forget how to smash people with crazy hits? To me it's addition by subtraction for the flames,I wouldn't want him near my fragile team the way he plays.

Not sold on Hall's smarts but he works hard/plays hard,he's young and learning,probably will end up being a solid 60-70 point player someday but is certainly more valuable than Phaneuf.

Should be a fun time next year when Phaneuf is an impending UFA looking to still make $6.5m a year.
I'm not really sure whats up with Dion. He seems to have reeled in his strengths without adding anything else to substitute for them. In his defence, he has had partners who are being placed well above their respective abilities and that forces him to be more conservative. He's still a good allround defenseman but IMO he would be better off getting back to the big hits(maybe worried about losing pay for a suspension) because losing that intimidation factor hurts not only his game but the team in general as nobody else appears to be willing/able. Also he rarely rushes anymore but that i can somewhat write off as being due to much lesser partners. Leafs will be faced with a tough decision soon as he's not worth his pay but is still the best of the bunch by a fair margin. Either find him a partner that can allow him to revert back to using his strengths or cut him loose after next season. It would be hard to justify continuing to pay him 6.5 and in all liklihood a potential paycut would go over like a lead balloon. Best thing barring the right partner would be dealing him to a bonafide contender next year, but when you need him it makes that a tough pill to swallow unless the leafs bomb next season in which case its a very plausible solution.

leaflover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

When a deal is so lopsided value wise, even if it makes your defense a bunch of ECHLers, you still take it and run.

Last edited by Brian Boyle: 03-10-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Brock Radunske
안양종합운동장 빙상장

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Lol @ Leafs fans saying no to this because of needs. When a deal is so lopsided value wise, even if it makes your defense a bunch of ECHLers, you still take it and run.
We all get it...that package isn't worth it for Hall from an Oiler's view point. I'm sorry we don't want to blow up the Leafs for a $6 mil winger who hasn't broken 55 points yet (he will...but he hasn't) or play more than 65 games in a year.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
This absolutely boggles my mind.
It boggles your mind why the Leafs won't trade their 1D (and captain), McClement/Kuli and Gardiner for yet ANOTHER winger? Offer a center and maybe it makes sense, otherwise, not so much.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Brock Radunske
안양종합운동장 빙상장

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Lol @ Leafs fans saying no to this because of needs. When a deal is so lopsided value wise, even if it makes your defense a bunch of ECHLers, you still take it and run.
Pass.

Last edited by Brian Boyle: 03-10-2013 at 10:26 PM.