HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan McDonagh offer sheet

Old
03-07-2013, 06:35 PM
BringBackLibertys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Nowhere did he say the Islanders would. Way to trash talk before the tilt, though .
Thanks, game on yet?

BringBackLibertys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:45 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Be ready for that Giroux offer sheet then.
Still waiting on the revenge from the Kesler or Weber Offersheets. None of our RFA''s get close to becoming free agents

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:50 PM
BringBackLibertys

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Still waiting on the revenge from the Kesler or Weber Offersheets. None of our RFA''s get close to becoming free agents
No, see, you are confused, revenge comes if they ACTUALLY sign with your team...which they didn't.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:59 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
If a team comes in and offers this guy $6M per, do the Rags match? I think thats a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for compensation.

The cap is dropping. Only a few lower level contracts are expiring for them. Stepan and Hagelin are due raises. I guess they could buy out Richards or trade Gaborik. What do Ranger fans think?
Assuming this 6M #, Rangers either or both buy out Richards [definitely, can't take chance after next year he pulls a Redden] or trade Gaborik [not definitely, only a definite maybe].

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
So what you are asking is will Paul Holmgren offer sheet MacD. Yeah prob it is something I could see him doing. Hell he will prob offer sheet OEL if he gets the chance as well.
New York can match any offer. Phoenix on the other hand.............

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
New York can match any offer. Phoenix on the other hand.............
Depends on the cap space NYR has left. Money wise NYR can outspend anyone. (Well maybe not TOR if they actually opened up their wallets but you get the jest.) If Holmgren goes on to make some outrageous offersheet of 6 years at 6.6 million to MacD does NYR have the cap space to resign him?

Also I doubt the NHL (Who currently dictates the spending of the PHX franchise if I remember correctly) will allow their only hope of this team generating any revenue. So I think that one would be an interesting turn of events as well.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:06 PM
BringBackLibertys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Depends on the cap space NYR has left. Money wise NYR can outspend anyone. (Well maybe not TOR if they actually opened up their wallets but you get the jest.) If Holmgren goes on to make some outrageous offersheet of 6 years at 6.6 million to MacD does NYR have the cap space to resign him?
YES, they do

Old
03-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Matched.

03-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackLibertys View Post
YES, they do
As it sits right now they have a little over 10 million to sign 6 players (Assuming they carry 23.) If MacD gets a 6.6 million then he has roughly 3.5 million to sign 5 more players. I can see Sather doing it just damn he has his work cut out for him.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:26 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Offer sheets almost never work, but with the cap going down this is a particularly good time for teams to attempt this. If I'm the Rangers GM I would not be very happy if I had to match a $6M average cap hit contract offer. McD just doesn't have the offense to justify that much money. We all know he's a defensive monster, but that's really an overpayment.

It really would come down to who's offering the offer sheet. If it's Columbus or another team likely to get NYR a juicy top 3 pick, then it's likely bye bye McD. However if it's like Boston offering they can go screw themselves I'm matching that in a heart beat.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
So you're going to compare the Nashville Predators to the New York Rangers? If I'm the Flyers, I wouldn't feel threatened one bit by Nashville. Trying to screw with another rich team is never a smart move.

03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

The Rangers are not a team you do an offer sheet to, they will make your life miserable at some point for crossing them. They have the money to do just that.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Lundsanity30

Rangers match, shed some salary if need be, resign Stepan and Hagelin and then move on.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Value of a Mac Truck offer sheet? Rangers match and then go after that teams valuable RFAs.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
If a team comes in and offers this guy $6M per, do the Rags match? I think thats a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for compensation.

The cap is dropping. Only a few lower level contracts are expiring for them. Stepan and Hagelin are due raises. I guess they could buy out Richards or trade Gaborik. What do Ranger fans think?
Rangers match faster than Colorado did on O'Rielly

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ShootIt

Can you offer sheet guys coming off of ELCs?
Re: yak and RNH

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:18 PM
mac

Sather is very competitive and well respected

People do not offer sheet his player because ,pay back is a *****

mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:46 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Sather is a Vindictive SOB. Anyone who offer sheets any of his RFA's will have HELL to pay when it comes time to sign their own RFA's and this just isn't me blowing smoke out my ass. I know someone who knew Glen Sather on a somewhat personal level and this person said that Slats is very much like this in real life as well.

It will happen. Sather WILL make sure that whoever crosses him will pay the piper and pay dearly they will.

I would be absolutely FLOORED if someone had the balls to cross him.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Rangerboy030

Anyone that offer sheets one of the richest teams in the league's best young player is asking for trouble.

Rangerboy030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:43 AM
WeekendAtBernies

After all the big talk in this thread by Rangers fans, I really hope Holmgren offer sheets McD. The reaction around here would be priceless.

I generally don't worry about other GMs trying to get revenge for offer sheets because it has never happened before, but I really wouldn't worry about Sather. He's got everything he can handle + more over these next 2 years, first trying to fit Hagelin, Stepan, and McD under the cap this year and then trying to re-up Callahan, Girardi, MDZ, and potentially Stralman too the next year.

If the Flyers lock Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier up this offseason, I'd have no problem aggressively pursuing an offer sheet to McD or any other RFA defenseman out there.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:23 AM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 666
I would i) buy out Richards ii) trade Gaborik before giving up McDonagh to a silly offer sheet.

One of the two options will likely happen in the near future anyway.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:26 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
After all the big talk in this thread by Rangers fans, I really hope Holmgren offer sheets McD. The reaction around here would be priceless.

I generally don't worry about other GMs trying to get revenge for offer sheets because it has never happened before, but I really wouldn't worry about Sather. He's got everything he can handle + more over these next 2 years, first trying to fit Hagelin, Stepan, and McD under the cap this year and then trying to re-up Callahan, Girardi, MDZ, and potentially Stralman too the next year.

If the Flyers lock Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier up this offseason, I'd have no problem aggressively pursuing an offer sheet to McD or any other RFA defenseman out there.
It has happened The Canucks offer sheeted Backes then the Blues later offer sheeted Steve Bernier.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:35 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post

for the most part I agree with the premise of thsi post.

but you have quite the cap problems and since I don't think you understand the timing of it all, I'll explain.

McD is a RFA this summer. The Flyers have 2 million available this summer to replace 7 bodies. An Offer-sheet to McD is going to run you close to 5-6 million?

The cap is going down to 64mil. You will have 2.25 to replace those 7 lost bodies. How do you expect to do that AND sign ANYONE to an offer-sheet and then expect to be protected to any retaliation?

the guys you refer to are not RFA's until the summer of 2014 at which time the Rangers will be losing the Gabby Contract maybe buying out Richards.

Cap space that year for the Rangers is SOOO not going to be a problem

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:03 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Nowhere did he say the Islanders would. Way to trash talk before the tilt, though .
considering what a stud mcd is, i would seriously consider offer sheeting him if i am snow (that is if wang has increased my allowance).

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:19 AM
PropJoe

Seems like a waste of time. Rangers will match. I personally think its a horrible position for any team to take that "we'll match anything" except in rare circumstances like Weber and maybe Pietrangelo. When you consider the compensation involved it really just limits flexibility.

PropJoe is offline   Reply With Quote