HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realignment: Tampa in the Central division

Old
03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Realignment: Tampa in the Central division

The NHLPA approves realignment through 2014-15 season. 16 teams in the East and 14 teams in the West. Four divisions.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417615

Thoughts?

Kusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:18 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

There is nothing about this I don't hate. Not least of which is the incessant bs we're going to have to listen to about how good it will be for our finances. Or about how we won't be able to compete against those high dollar teams. Like Vinik has really been cutting back and pinching his pennies so far, right guys?

ThunderAlleyNomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:21 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusic View Post
The NHLPA approves realignment through 2014-15 season. 16 teams in the East and 14 teams in the West. Four divisions.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417615

Thoughts?
I like that we were spared from the Atlantic, but why are they moving to a four conference set-up with 16 teams in one division and 14 in the other? It makes 0 sense unless they're planning on adding two franchises to the west.

I've always thought it'd be easier to ship Winnipeg to the Central and move Nashville to the Southeast.

Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 03-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.
The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:23 PM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

That obviously makes the most sense geographically for us.

Right?

HoseEmAllAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:30 PM
AllAbout813

I may be the minority, but I am kind of excited to be playing all those original 6 teams on the regular. I dont think people are going to make an issue about our finances from this, because weve been pretty set (selling out all our games) so far this season in the current Southeast, and have been doing well for a while. The one negative to this is that the travel will be awful, but I dont know how much an extra hour on a plane will effect the boys. One more negative is the chance of more NBC games (again the original 6 teams)m and having to listen to Milbury and the gang more than anyone should ever have to..

AllAbout813 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:36 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
I may be the minority, but I am kind of excited to be playing all those original 6 teams on the regular. I dont think people are going to make an issue about our finances from this, because weve been pretty set (selling out all our games) so far this season in the current Southeast, and have been doing well for a while. The one negative to this is that the travel will be awful, but I dont know how much an extra hour on a plane will effect the boys. One more negative is the chance of more NBC games (again the original 6 teams)m and having to listen to Milbury and the gang more than anyone should ever have to..
You haven't been paying attention for awhile then. It's brought up constantly in EVERY single realignment thread on both the BOH and the main NHL board. It's already in the stickied thread on the main board and it's going to get worse.

Here's what you need to remember as far as a certain segment of hockey fans are concerned.

Tampa Bay is a lousy sports town.

The Lightning get horrible fan support.

If the Lightning should happen to be selling out, it's only because they're doing well.

If they aren't playing well and still selling out, it's because tickets are cheaper than a loaf of bread.

If none of the above actually apply, well tv ratings still suck and who the hell cares about hockey in Fl anyway.

ThunderAlleyNomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Stammer Time*
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Sucks that a model sunbelt team is being screwed due to the massive failure of one of the biggest jokes of a franchise in NHL history.

Stammer Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Inquisition13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
Sucks that a model sunbelt team is being screwed due to the massive failure of one of the biggest jokes of a franchise in NHL history.
The Panthers?

Inquisition13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Stammer Time*
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisition13 View Post
The Panthers?
Thrashers.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
I just saw you had your ICQ linked. BRB. Downloading.

Lecavilier_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:54 PM
HoseEmDown

Why is the division the Central? Detroit must run this league to get the name of their division brought with them to the east.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Why is the division the Central? Detroit must run this league to get the name of their division brought with them to the east.
What else could they call it? If it weren't for TB and FLA, it'd logically be called the northeast.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:31 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
What else could they call it? If it weren't for TB and FLA, it'd logically be called the northeast.
Northeast makes more sense then Central, even that doesn't make sense but more teams are closer to their than the Central.
Just go back to Adams or Norris division, something non geographical if they are gonna be this split up.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:32 PM
newham89

Quote:
Maybe the work it out by average?

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:13 PM
TBLHoser

All I can say is it's idiotic - plain and simple.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
dbieon12
Vinik-Yzerman-Cooper

vCash: 50
How do the playoff seedings work? Do the conferences with more teams get more seeds/teams?

dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:17 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
How do the playoff seedings work? Do the conferences with more teams get more seeds/teams?
I believe the top 2 teams from each division get in, or maybe top 3, with the rest being "wild card". I think potentially you could have 5 in each team in the East and 3 in the West.

Don't really love it, but whatever.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Cat Bowser
u cat bowser enough?

I must be the only one who likes it.

Cat Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Personally, I'm a fan. Mind you, I'm sure some of that is the elated Wings fan in me. However, the Bolts travel situation is still better than, well, anything in the West (especially since it's so easy to schedule barely-travel road trips in the East).

The big thing here is the teams in the division. Detroit + a bunch of Canadian teams? $$$$ This is going to be good for the team financially. Not a huge issue for the Bolts, mind, but it's still good incentive for the new owner. Even more important, it should benefit the Panthers, making sure that the Bolts have a close-by rival. If the kittycats after disappear, all that's left near TB would be Carolina. That'd suck, I've just never had strong feelings about the Canes.

In terms of competition... eh, the Bolts won a cup in a no-cap era. I also think it's a good thing to be playing the Atlantic teams slightly less often; those rosters are so built up to goon it up against each other that it's painful to play against them. Of course, there's still Montreal and Boston...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
I must be the only one who likes it.
Nope. I think this is great for the Bolts financially. On top of that, I get to watch more teams that I like watching when I watch the Bolts and Wings.

Also, a guaranteed away game to the West each year means I get to see the Bolts once a year up in Denver, and that also makes me happy. The Wings games there are difficult to afford good seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
There is nothing about this I don't hate. Not least of which is the incessant bs we're going to have to listen to about how good it will be for our finances. Or about how we won't be able to compete against those high dollar teams. Like Vinik has really been cutting back and pinching his pennies so far, right guys?
It will be, and I don't mind seeing Vinik get good compensation for being willing to invest in this team. The more important benefit in my opinion is the possible boon to the Panthers. I dunno about you guys, but I don't want to chance the Cats moving and having the Bolts closest competition be in friggin' Raleigh.

...I also hate the Bolts current division, so there's that.

Last edited by Mantha Poodoo: 03-07-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: WAS, CAR, WPG, FLA.... yawn.
Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
HoseEmDown

Wheeled wing- how does this help financially?
We don't have an issue selling tickets or merchandising. Wouldn't the additional travel cost the team more money?

Old
03-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Wheeled wing- how does this help financially?
We don't have an issue selling tickets or merchandising. Wouldn't the additional travel cost the team more money?
No, not an issue. But it never hurts to add, either. Possibilities Detroit + Boston + major Canadian teams bring to the FL peninsula:

1: More merchandising. All those snowbirds and such that come down? Yea, kids come to visit grandparents and Junior Toronto may fancy a Stamkos jersey.

2: Higher ticket prices. Why sell out when you can sell out at higher prices?

3: Higher local tv ratings.

4: Possible higher chances of national TV views. One of the leagues biggest goalscorers against Datsyuk/Big Bad Boston/whatever?

Sure, it's not needed, but it will certainly further the success of the market.

As a fan though, mostly I'm just going to enjoy the matchups a lot more. Bolts vs Wings and I get to watch my 2 favorite teams play. Good hockey and I come out happy no matter the result, and I generally like the teams in the NE way more than WAS, CAR, WPG, especially now that Ovy is boring.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:24 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
This also means much more Lightning coverage on TSN or CBC. The team suddenly wouldn't get ignored anymore.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:15 AM
Stammer Time*
Sons of Pirates

It also means more games on NBC which just sucks.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:15 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
No, not an issue. But it never hurts to add, either. Possibilities Detroit + Boston + major Canadian teams bring to the FL peninsula:

1: More merchandising. All those snowbirds and such that come down? Yea, kids come to visit grandparents and Junior Toronto may fancy a Stamkos jersey.

2: Higher ticket prices. Why sell out when you can sell out at higher prices?

3: Higher local tv ratings.

4: Possible higher chances of national TV views. One of the leagues biggest goalscorers against Datsyuk/Big Bad Boston/whatever?

Sure, it's not needed, but it will certainly further the success of the market.

As a fan though, mostly I'm just going to enjoy the matchups a lot more. Bolts vs Wings and I get to watch my 2 favorite teams play. Good hockey and I come out happy no matter the result, and I generally like the teams in the NE way more than WAS, CAR, WPG, especially now that Ovy is boring.
I'm glad it works out for you but it screws the casual fan.
How can you say higher ticket prices are a good thing?
When that Canadian kid asks his grandparents to buy that Stamkos jersey and they see the $240 price, they will be getting a $30 hat instead.
Have you been to a Caps-Bolts game? Ovi may be "boring" but he is the most hated player by current fans.
I'm not a fan of it currently but maybe after a season I'll change my tune.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:24 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
It also means more games on NBC which just sucks.
It could be worse. NBC is much more in love (read: biased) with Atlantic division teams.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote