*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Rally Donkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
....I'm tellin' ya, the Whalers are about to open up a can on the the rest of the league. London has peaked
Did I or did I not tell you so? Sarnia heard me loud and clear With Windsor, Sarnia, and Niagara coming up, the Whalers should be looking at 13-game streak heading into March (knock on wood).

Old
02-19-2013, 08:59 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
A couple of good signs from today's dismantling of Sarnia.. other than the obvious 10-2 final score:

1. Ned was in goal. This is hopefully a sign that Vellucci is making a change in net. Our championship hopes rest on MV making this move.

2. Noesen has found the net again, scoring four goals in the past two games after not scoring since December 5th. Nobody on the Whalers is more happy for the return of Rakell than his linemate Noesen, who had not scored in Rickard's absence.
Out of curiosity, how has Noesen been used this season?

Old
02-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Out of curiosity, how has Noesen been used this season?
The same as last season, but it has been a rough year for him. He was playing well in the first half of the season, but then received a 10 game suspension for leaving his feet on a boarding call back in December. He had seemed overly aggressive in the few games leading up to the penalty, going out of his way to hit anything that moved on the ice. This suspension caused him to miss the WJC. He has struggled since returning, and just seems to have got his scoring touch back now that Rakell is centering his line again.

Noesen plays on the #2 line, and also gets a lot of power play and penalty kill time.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:56 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Um, Owen Sound is on the list (Plymouth just whooped 'em last week) and Kitchener is on the honorable mentions of the same list.
I'm tellin' ya, the Whalers are about to open up a can on the the rest of the league. London has peaked
Really...hmm

Did Plymouth all the sudden find a defence. Between that and net minding I doubt London will sweat much. Besides rnd 2 will be your maker.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:57 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
The same as last season, but it has been a rough year for him. He was playing well in the first half of the season, but then received a 10 game suspension for leaving his feet on a boarding call back in December. He had seemed overly aggressive in the few games leading up to the penalty, going out of his way to hit anything that moved on the ice. This suspension caused him to miss the WJC. He has struggled since returning, and just seems to have got his scoring touch back now that Rakell is centering his line again.

Noesen plays on the #2 line, and also gets a lot of power play and penalty kill time.
Interesting, thanks for the response!

Old
02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
Really...hmm

Did Plymouth all the sudden find a defence. Between that and net minding I doubt London will sweat much. Besides rnd 2 will be your maker.
Go back to your own forum, and let me dream, will ya!

Old
02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
massey

Quote:
Go back to your own forum, and let me dream, will ya!
I dont think you are dreaming at all.I have been watching a few games Plymouth has been playing lately and if I was a London fan,I wouldn't be spouting off too much yet.I watched them in Sarnia last nite and I think Plymouth will be the team to beat if they get some solid goaltending. Nobody in that top 5-6 teams in the west,should be comfortable about playing anybody. Sarnia and Saginaw will be the weakest but the after that.?????

Old
02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
I dont think you are dreaming at all.I have been watching a few games Plymouth has been playing lately and if I was a London fan,I wouldn't be spouting off too much yet.I watched them in Sarnia last nite and I think Plymouth will be the team to beat if they get some solid goaltending. Nobody in that top 5-6 teams in the west,should be comfortable about playing anybody. Sarnia and Saginaw will be the weakest but the after that.?????
I would agree Plymouth will be handful for anybody,they will try to beat 7-5 if they can
Sarnia and Saginaw would be the weakest but both can be dangerous,I really like
Saginaw,they have come on big time since trading Trochek

Old
02-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

After last season's disappointing playoffs, I am going into this playoff year with lower expectations, but hopefully we will get better results... the old reverse jinx trick.

Plymouth has improved a great deal since that seven game losing streak in December, which gives us some hope. What's different since then?

1. Trocheck, Heard, Lorentz and Uvira were not here.
2. Noesen was serving a 10 game suspension.
3. Rakell and Hartman were at the WJC.
4. Mahalak was playing all the games in goal.

Since then, the offense has improved greatly, due to items 1-3. I still think everything hinges on the goaltending -- can a team win a championship with a rookie in net? I am convinced Plymouth cannot win with the veteran Mahalak in goal.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
can a team win a championship with a rookie in net? I am convinced Plymouth cannot win with the veteran Mahalak in goal.
Hey, Windsor won 2 memorial cups with so-so goaltending. The way you guys are playing in all other facets makes up for the fact that your goaltending might not be where you want it to be.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Hey, Windsor won 2 memorial cups with so-so goaltending. The way you guys are playing in all other facets makes up for the fact that your goaltending might not be where you want it to be.
The 1st time yes the 2nd time no,but the defence for both years was 10 times better
huge differnce

Old
02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
I do not remember Windsor's goaltending being anywhere near as bad as Mahalak has been. Matt simply is not good enough to be a starting goaltender at this level. Ned, on the other hand, looks to have a lot of talent -- he just needs experience.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
CBJWhaler

Ned gets his first career shutout tonight with 20 saves against the Sting. Whalers win 8 in a row, with a 4-0 win great game!

Old
03-02-2013, 07:40 AM
WhalerBlue

7-1 over Niagara and 7-2 over Erie so far on this road trip. Ned is playing very well in net. With 6 games left, it appears that Sarnia may be the 1st round match up. Mississauga on Sunday.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
7-1 over Niagara and 7-2 over Erie so far on this road trip. Ned is playing very well in net. With 6 games left, it appears that Sarnia may be the 1st round match up. Mississauga on Sunday.
It should be either Sarnia or Sault Ste. Marie in the first round. Considering how Plymouth has struggled against the Soo this season, I think we'd be better off against the Sting.

Ned has obviously taken over as the #1 goaltender, which makes the Whalers playoff prospects much brighter.

We received our invoice for playoff tickets on Thursday, so I know I'm ready for the post season to begin.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:01 AM
WhalerBlue

Rakell out and MacDonald out. For last game and today's game. Hope they are back this Sunday. 3-1 Plymouth over Saginaw 6:50 left in 2nd.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
Rakell out and MacDonald out. For last game and today's game. Hope they are back this Sunday. 3-1 Plymouth over Saginaw 6:50 left in 2nd.
They are supposed to be "minor" injuries... whatever that means. Hopefully that is the case and Vellucci is just making sure they are 100% healthy for the playoffs, since the team has a solid lead in the division.

With MacDonald out, though, the team is playing with only 5 defensemen. That must mean that Crombeen is still not healthy, or else he would be in there for MacDonald.

With the division almost wrapped up, I would expect to see Mahalak in the net a couple of times over the last few games to get him some work just in case Plymouth needs him in the postseason (hopefully not).

Old
03-05-2013, 12:08 PM
WhalerBlue

4-1 Whalers win. Hopefully these injuries are truthfully just minor. Mahalak probably will start Sunday against Saginaw and maybe one of the Windsor games (just a wild guess). 4 games left and then it gets real. Crombeen and Jones both said they expected to play before the end of the regular season. We will see.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Alex Nedeljkovic has been named CHL Goaltender of the Week. Congrats, Alex!

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...er-of-the-week

Old
03-06-2013, 06:37 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Alex Nedeljkovic has been named CHL Goaltender of the Week. Congrats, Alex!

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...er-of-the-week
Well deserved!

Old
03-08-2013, 04:18 AM
CBJWhaler

Congratulations to Ned for winning Rookie and Goalie of the Month!!!!
Bring us the Cup!!!!

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...e-of-the-month

Old
03-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
Congratulations to Ned for winning Rookie and Goalie of the Month!!!!
Bring us the Cup!!!!

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...e-of-the-month
From the article:

"Alex Nedeljkovic of the Plymouth Whalers earns both OHL Rookie and Vaughn OHL Goaltender of the Month honours after posting an 8-2-0-0 record including one shutout victory. His eight wins were a league-high while also leading all netminders with a league-low goals-against-average of 1.79 and league-high save percentage of .942 in February. He won seven straight games last month ending his streak with his second career shutout on February 23 with 20 saves as second star of a 4-0 win over the Sarnia Sting. Nedeljkovic also claimed first star honours twice last month including February 15 when he stopped a career-high 52 shots as part of a 3-2 shootout victory on the road against the Kitchener Rangers."

I guess that Alex has earned the #1 goalie spot for the playoffs, huh?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:23 AM
WhalerBlue

Mahalak gets a start, my guess is this Sunday, or maybe two before the playoffs. After that, as long as Ned keeps playing well, Mahalak won't get a sniff of playoff game time.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:

...I guess that Alex has earned the #1 goalie spot for the playoffs, huh?
That is great news, I hope you are right! I am worried though that Mahalak will be trusted yet again to be our starter.

I see our last game is the 17th, how soon will playoffs begin after that? Is there a layoff between? Also does the schedule for games stay similar to RS, like 2 or 3 games a week and mainly the weekends? Do prices for tickets go up and will these games sell out? What other things can a new fan expect for the playoffs (besides a dominating capture of the OHL championship )?

Old
03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
WhalerBlue

I heard the playoffs start on the 21st. Games will be played on all 7 seven days across the league if needed. There is an emphasis for weekend games for the home teams to start a series out. That is a perk for being the home team that you get the chance to really pack the fans in. The first round will not sellout, atleast I never remember that happening here in Plymouth. If we win 1st round then expect more fans in the 2nd round and so on...This is always an exciting time of the hockey season. I am obsessed with it. The thing about the playoffs that can be of comfort or give you an ulcer is that what happened in the past doesn't matter. It gets real. Right here, right now. If you are an under dog, and you advance-you are jacked. If you get beat as the favorite-you probably won't feel so good. I want to win.

Closed Thread