HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
So we're getting rid of Stafford because he's not playing worth $4 Million to pick up a guy making $6.6 Million to hope that he also turns it around?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:04 PM

vCash: 500
don't see why Stafford gets all the hate when virtually the entire team has underachieved, would I trade him? sure.. would I move him just to get him out? nope.

If you want to move him at least wait until his value increases

Old
03-07-2013, 10:05 PM

remember that report a few years ago when Spezza was on the block and OTT wanted Ennis along with Roy and Buffalo said no? I think we do that deal 10/10 times now lol

or in the summer when we most likely could have gotten B. Ryan for Stafford and Ennis...

Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
remember that report a few years ago when Spezza was on the block and OTT wanted Ennis along with Roy and Buffalo said no? I think we do that deal 10/10 times now lol
We actually don't know the other pieces. Only that Regier supposedly said no when they wanted to include Ennis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
or in the summer when we most likely could have gotten B. Ryan for Stafford and Ennis...
Source? I doubt that would have gotten it done.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
We actually don't know the other pieces. Only that Regier supposedly said no when they wanted to include Ennis.

Source? I doubt that would have gotten it done.
I literally have no source but I believe that Lebrun mentioned something about it in the offseason.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Stafford isn't worth $4,000,000.... He has no value trade wise as he is awful.

Buy him out with Leino and use that money on a legitimate star player which we do not have.

No, not even Vanek. 100% Vanek Healthy for 20 games a year isn't a star player.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:33 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post

Buy him out with Leino and use that money on a legitimate star player which we do not have.

Still our best forward and a first liner on any team in the league. If you're dreaming of a with several players better than Vanek, prepare to be disappointed forever.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:09 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
So we're getting rid of Stafford because he's not playing worth $4 Million to pick up a guy making $6.6 Million to hope that he also turns it around?
I dont care about what the guys are being paid, Stafford isn't playing well enough to earn a spot on this team. His shooting but can't score, his at best invisible most nights and just seems defeated, all the time

Old
03-08-2013, 04:35 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:

I thought even under the new CBA the buyout rules were pretty bad? Like having to pay for a portion of the contract, only getting 2 buyouts or something of that sort. Can someone fill me in on this please?

Old
03-08-2013, 04:36 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:

Believe it or not there are teams with scoring depth who'll want someone who can score in bunches and is responsible at both ends of the ice, teams like Anahiem, LA like these sorts of players as they have the reliable, everyday scorers and need further depth.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:15 AM
clumping platelets

Stafford to Anaheim for Beleskey

Old
03-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Still our best forward and a first liner on any team in the league. If you're dreaming of a with several players better than Vanek, prepare to be disappointed forever.
Vanek isn't our best forward for the half of the season he's nursing an injury every year for what? The last 3?

Consistancy is what we need. Not 170 pt pace for 25% of the year, them poof!

Old
03-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
Stafford to Anaheim for Beleskey
Your keyboard must've stopped working, because you didn't type what else Anaheim was giving us.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Zip15

Quote:

I didn't realize "awful" players can score 52 goals in the NHL over two seasons. Man, I'd hate to see what you say about most of the other players in the league.

BTW, what "legitimate star players" are going to be knocking down the door to play for a bottom-feeding team in Buffalo, NY when they can get similar money to play for better teams in better cities? Are people still subscribing to the myth that marquee free agents want to come to Buffalo?

Old
03-08-2013, 07:01 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I didn't realize "awful" players can score 52 goals in the NHL over two seasons. Man, I'd hate to see what you say about most of the other players in the league.

BTW, what "legitimate star players" are going to be knocking down the door to play for a bottom-feeding team in Buffalo, NY when they can get similar money to play for better teams in better cities? Are people still subscribing to the myth that marquee free agents want to come to Buffalo?
Especially since fans of said bottom feeders want them to lose, no-one wants to play for that team.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Yep. And they're adding Ennis in to the trade to make it happen.

03-08-2013, 07:18 AM
clumping platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Your keyboard must've stopped working, because you didn't type what else Anaheim was giving us.

future cap space

Addition by subtraction

Old
03-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Zip15

Moving on from the "trade everyone because they suck" talk for a moment, we should be rooting for Winnipeg to stay in the playoff hunt. They have three 2nd rounders in the 2013 draft--their own, CHI's from the Oduya trade, and a compensatory 2nd for failing to sign 2008 1st rounder Daulton Leveille--and their management/ownership may push hard to get that city some playoff hockey for the first time since 1996.

The Jets (3), Habs (3), and Blues (2) all have multiple picks in the 2nd round, so we should be rooting hard for those teams to be buyers. Winnipeg has a terrible PK, so Regehr would be some help there.

Quote:
future cap space
Cap space in and of itself is worthless, especially in a poor UFA market--at least outside the top few guys who likely won't consider coming to Buffalo, or will merely use Pegula as a pawn to pump up their value.

Quote:
Addition by subtraction
I don't believe in this concept. Trading Stafford--at his lowest value, to boot--creates a hole on RW. Thus, they'll either have to move Vanek to RW, thereby breaking up Vanek-Pominville, or they'll do something that's quintessentially Buffalo Sabres and just trust Armia and Tropp to fill the void. And we'll still suck.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:50 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yep. And they're adding Ennis in to the trade to make it happen.
I saw 1 person suggest that any everyone else say know, what is this about adding Ennis?

Alright, lets go after Iginla, Ryan, Evander or Patrick Kane. Lets get rid of what few assets we have for 1 elite player. That'll make us successful!

Stastny isn't 'the' answer but he could help, yep sure he comes for a price but I reckon Stafford could get us him straight. Both players need a change of scenery and have fallen out of favour with the fans.

Hell I'm not under the illusion I'm right (I'm pretty damn sure none of us are) but I do remember going through this with Regehr. I said it was a bad idea as his old and slow, another Rivet, NOT another Numminen. I turned out to be damn right as the same fans who said it was a good idea now say he can't be relied upon.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:33 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
I thought even under the new CBA the buyout rules were pretty bad? Like having to pay for a portion of the contract, only getting 2 buyouts or something of that sort. Can someone fill me in on this please?
There are 2 amnesty buyouts you can use that don't count against the cap.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:

Vanek has the 10th highest gpg in the entire league. When Selanne and Jagr retire he will move up to 8th. Yes, Vanek is a star player and has been for awhile. Vanek is an elite goal scorer.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:46 AM
RattleYourSabre

Maybe it's just me, but I think most people have a problem with Stafford for two main reasons:

1) His contract in comparison with his play
2) The letter on his chest in comparison with his play

I'm not all that familiar with amnesty buy out rules, so maybe someone here can set me straight... But...

If we bought out Stafford... Could we resign him at a much more cost effective contract? Not that we would, or could. Just wondering if we could do it by the rules.

Because I think if he was cheaper and we used him in the bottom six, people would like him a bit better. Unless they've just soured completely. Which is possible

Old
03-08-2013, 08:58 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I think most people have a problem with Stafford for two main reasons:

1) His contract in comparison with his play
2) The letter on his chest in comparison with his play

I'm not all that familiar with amnesty buy out rules, so maybe someone here can set me straight... But...

If we bought out Stafford... Could we resign him at a much more cost effective contract? Not that we would, or could. Just wondering if we could do it by the rules.

Because I think if he was cheaper and we used him in the bottom six, people would like him a bit better. Unless they've just soured completely. Which is possible
Pretty sure if you buy a player out, you can't resign him for a year.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:17 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Vanek isn't our best forward for the half of the season he's nursing an injury every year for what? The last 3?

Consistancy is what we need. Not 170 pt pace for 25% of the year, them poof!
Again.... Good luck with that. Vanek is one of the most consistent goal-scorers in the league. One of only 4 active players with 25+ goals in each of his first 7 seasons, and looks like he may make it 8 in spite of the shortened season. Only the truly elite players have the kind of consistency you're talking about (ie: Crosby, Stamkos), and even then they have some slumps. What good teams have is better depth (and D) than Buffalo to keep them competitive when their star scorers are slumping. Our next best winger outside of that top line is Stafford probably, who barely made it to 50 points last year.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Vanek has the 10th highest gpg in the entire league. When Selanne and Jagr retire he will move up to 8th. Yes, Vanek is a star player and has been for awhile. Vanek is an elite goal scorer.
No doubt. But he gets injured every year and it makes him less effective.

We need more than Vanek. He can't be counted on over the course of a season. As he gets older he more likely to get injure more often.

Closed Thread