HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Perry to Pittsburgh (if he doesn't want to re-sign w/ Ducks)

Old
03-07-2013, 11:24 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
If I was a Ducks fan, I'd want him traded at the deadline. I understand wanting to win the cup, but the odds of that happening arent great no matter how good the team is.
By that reasoning, there should never be a team in the playoffs with any UFAs, since they should all focus on asset management rather than taking a rather small percentage shot at winning the Cup. And since Perry isn't the only UFA the Ducks have, should they also dump guys like Getzlaf, Selanne, and Koivu as well? The same argument for maximizing Perry's value applies to them as well.

So basically, what you're suggesting is that the team with the 2nd best record in the entire league would be best served by completely dismantling the team and turning themselves into a bottom feeder in the name of asset management, since the odds of winning a Cup aren't that great anyway. So why aren't playoff teams annually divesting themselves of potential UFAs, and in fact often acquire them as rentals? Are they just being stupid?

And if every team thought the way you suggest, then who would be buyers? After all, a playoff team shouldn't spend much to acquire a rental since the odds of winning a Cup "aren't great no matter how good the team is." And a non-playoff team wouldn't bother since they aren't going anywhere anyway.

I really don't understand some people on these boards ... it's like they think that asset management is the end, rather than the means to the end.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
By that reasoning, there should never be a team in the playoffs with any UFAs, since they should all focus on asset management rather than taking a rather small percentage shot at winning the Cup. And since Perry isn't the only UFA the Ducks have, should they also dump guys like Getzlaf, Selanne, and Koivu as well? The same argument for maximizing Perry's value applies to them as well.

So basically, what you're suggesting is that the team with the 2nd best record in the entire league would be best served by completely dismantling the team and turning themselves into a bottom feeder in the name of asset management, since the odds of winning a Cup aren't that great anyway. So why aren't playoff teams annually divesting themselves of potential UFAs, and in fact often acquire them as rentals? Are they just being stupid?

And if every team thought the way you suggest, then who would be buyers? After all, a playoff team shouldn't spend much to acquire a rental since the odds of winning a Cup "aren't great no matter how good the team is." And a non-playoff team wouldn't bother since they aren't going anywhere anyway.

I really don't understand some people on these boards ... it's like they think that asset management is the end, rather than the means to the end.
By that reasoning people should just quit posting on HF if their opinion doesn't agree with yours.

I really don't understand some people on these boards...it's like they think nobody is allowed to express an opinion if it doesn't agree with theirs.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:18 AM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post

It's obviously a very unique situation with Perry, nowhere in my post did I imply a team should trade any UFA . You wasted your time with all that. Could have easily just replied that you don't agree and they should go for it all. I understand that reasoning, and it's probably what they will do. I was just saying what I would want to happen ( even though it would be horrible to accept) .

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:36 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybreaks View Post
Ask yourself what makes more sense in the long run, losing him to FA this summer and maybe winning a playoff series. Or potentially getting something for him that would potentially help the team in the long run and still maybe win a playoff series.
Ok
I just asked myself what makes more sense
"Keeping Corey Perry"
Or
"Trade him for a bunch of spare parts"

Easy answer, hf gm'ing places "assets" above winning. I guess Pittsburgh should give away Letang next year if he's not signed rather than attempt to win, with him

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:41 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
or you could trade Perry for someone who can help now as opposed to futures or letting him walk away for nothing. Seems like better asset management no?
Once again you people continue to make assumptions Perry is not even considering re-signing without much tangible proof. Anaheim has plenty of prospects in preparation for something like this

Old
03-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
That really has nothing to do with it. Kunitz represents the best possible acquisition for a run in the present, and Maatta and the 1st represent the future.

Kunitz will be a productive, effective player through his contract, and the Ducks won't be getting a better player in a package for a UFA - even one as good as Perry.
I'm sure you'd like to believe that this is true, but in reality this is simply the best package you'd be OK with the Pens offering. The Ducks could do better elsewhere.

That said, how well the team is doing means that they have no reason in the world to trade Perry to anybody.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:49 AM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I guess Pittsburgh should give away Letang next year if he's not signed rather than attempt to win, with him
If he has no interest in re-signing? Sure. The Pens have some promising D prospects coming up. Obviously Letang is a stud and is likely irreplaceable, but since in this hypothetical situation he won't be re-signing regardless, I'd say take the substantial return and be a perennial contender.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:51 AM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
Once again you people continue to make assumptions Perry is not even considering re-signing without much tangible proof. Anaheim has plenty of prospects in preparation for something like this
He's obviously strongly considering it. We don't know what he's said to the Ducks, but we do know that he's done nothing to dispel the oft-repeated rumor that he has no interest in re-signing. That alone speaks volumes, and lends credence to the speculation.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Exit Dose

Sorry about the playoff run Saku and Teemu, we needed to add some extra draft picks. Thanks for all the service.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:53 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
He's obviously strongly considering it. We don't know what he's said to the Ducks, but we do know that he's done nothing to dispel the oft-repeated rumor that he has no interest in re-signing. That alone speaks volumes, and lends credence to the speculation.
That's because Perry said at the very beginning of camp he would not be talking about his contract status in the media, if he had no interest in even negotiating, why would his agent even come out to Anaheim and talk in person?

Old
03-08-2013, 04:53 AM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
I'm sure you'd like to believe that this is true, but in reality this is simply the best package you'd be OK with the Pens offering. The Ducks could do better elsewhere.

That said, how well the team is doing means that they have no reason in the world to trade Perry to anybody.
Kunitz, Maata and a 1st is pretty damn good for a UFA Perry. Now, if you had good cause to suspect that you could retain him long-term, that'd change the equation. But as a rental? Those are some quality assets.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:02 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Kunitz+bennett+first makes more sense.
Not for a guy that can walk after the season. Shero doesn't make that mistake twice.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post

That said, you seem to be ignoring the entire premise of the thread laid out explicitly in the OP.

I sincerely doubt the Ducks would get offered a better package anywhere.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:05 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Not for a guy that can walk after the season. Shero doesn't make that mistake twice.
To be honest, the first one wasn't a mistake and Shero shouldn't consider that as one. He gave up two scrap pieces; a first rounder in a bad draft and a former first round pick that was dropping in value every day.

I agree ... you don't mortgage the farm on Perry. I trust him less than I do Iggy when it comes to resigning. He bolts, you lose a solid top line guy in Kunitz, your best forward prospect in Bennett and a first round pick in a deep draft. That is a pass every single time.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I sincerely doubt the Ducks would get offered a better package anywhere.
You may be right, but that's all the more reason to keep Pears. I would trade that package for a deeper playoff run. We don't need prospects.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Ok
I just asked myself what makes more sense
"Keeping Corey Perry"
Or
"Trade him for a bunch of spare parts"

Easy answer, hf gm'ing places "assets" above winning. I guess Pittsburgh should give away Letang next year if he's not signed rather than attempt to win, with him
The Penguins already traded away a star that they knew they would be unable to sign----->Exibit A: Jordan Staal.

I like Sutter, but lets be honest, he's not Jordan Staal. The other pieces were a pick and a prospect. Now, the Pens were listed as the favorite to win the cup at the time of the trade, and they traded away a fan favorite who was their best penalty killer, best defensive forward, and also capable of scoring 25+ goals a year. I think if you now asked Poile or Lam if they would do things differently knowing what they know now, I'm sure they make a different decision.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
The Penguins already traded away a star that they knew they would be unable to sign----->Exibit A: Jordan Staal.

I like Sutter, but lets be honest, he's not Jordan Staal. The other pieces were a pick and a prospect. Now, the Pens were listed as the favorite to win the cup at the time of the trade, and they traded away a fan favorite who was their best penalty killer, best defensive forward, and also capable of scoring 25+ goals a year. I think if you now asked Poile or Lam if they would do things differently knowing what they know now, I'm sure they make a different decision.
difference being, they didn't trade Staal while they were half way thru the season, and 2nd best team in the league

The Devils got to the SCF, i'm sure Lou is not having any deep regrets

Old
03-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Exit Dose

Are you honestly comparing speculation in the media during the summer with a team that is sitting with the second best record in the league? Where we're at right now isn't speculation, it's fact. Unless we take a massive tumble in the next few weeks, I don't see us budging there.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Also, I don't understand why the Pens would want to trade away Kunitz who is 3rd in the league in points, 4th in goals, and 1st in +/-. I would rather wait and take a shot at Perry in FA as opposed to giving up Kunitz to land him.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Are you honestly comparing speculation in the media during the summer with a team that is sitting with the second best record in the league? Where we're at right now isn't speculation, it's fact. Unless we take a massive tumble in the next few weeks, I don't see us budging there.
Yes, It is purely wild speculation to think that a team with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Kunitz, Letang, Orpik, Fleury, etc., who have already won a cup together, could have a serious shot a making another cup run??? Who knew?

Old
03-08-2013, 08:51 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Also, I don't understand why the Pens would want to trade away Kunitz who is 3rd in the league in points, 4th in goals, and 1st in +/-. I would rather wait and take a shot at Perry in FA as opposed to giving up Kunitz to land him.
this.

if Perry seriously doesn't want to re-sign with the Ducks, i'd rather the Pens take a chance on him once he hits free agency. why give up assets for someone who wants to test the waters of FA?

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:57 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Yes, It is purely wild speculation to think that a team with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Kunitz, Letang, Orpik, Fleury, etc., who have already won a cup together, could have a serious shot a making another cup run??? Who knew?
Yeah those scrubs in Anaheim like Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne, Koivu, Fowler, Beauchemin etc have no shot of doing anything

Old
03-08-2013, 08:58 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Yeah those scrubs in Anaheim like Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne, Koivu, Fowler, Beauchemin etc have no shot of doing anything
because that's exactly what Oglethorpe said...

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:07 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
because that's exactly what Oglethorpe said...
I'd like to see a precedent of a team in Anaheims current position, trading one of it's best players mid-season and blowing away a chance at a deep playoff run. I honestly can't think of one off the top of my head

Old
03-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
It really is. It also really has nothing to do with our situation. Kunitz does not replace Perry. We don't have two better wingers ahead of Perry on our depth chart.