HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 03:02 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
INTERESTING ARTICLE FROM THE NHL REGARDING 2013 DRAFT LOTTERY

The 2013 NHL Draft Lottery, to be held this year on Monday, April 29, will be the first in NHL history where all 14 clubs not qualifying for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, or the clubs that have acquired the first-round drafting positions of those non-playoff clubs, will have a chance at winning the right to the first overall selection. Under the previous lottery system, only the five teams with the fewest points in the standings had the opportunity to win the first overall selection as rules dictated no team could move up more than four spots.

The likelihood of each team gaining the right to the first pick is as follows:

Team 1 25.0%

Team 2 18.8%

Team 3 14.2%

Team 4 10.7%

Team 5 8.1%

Team 6 6.2%

Team 7 4.7%

Team 8 3.6%

Team 9 2.7%

Team 10 2.1%

Team 11 1.5%

Team 12 1.1%

Team 13 0.8%

Team 14 0.5%

LINK is here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Read just before the bottom and it shows in 2002 and 2003 where OUR Florida Panthers missed out on drafting RICK NASH and MARC ANDRE FLEURY.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
INTERESTING ARTICLE FROM THE NHL REGARDING 2013 DRAFT LOTTERY

The 2013 NHL Draft Lottery, to be held this year on Monday, April 29, will be the first in NHL history where all 14 clubs not qualifying for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, or the clubs that have acquired the first-round drafting positions of those non-playoff clubs, will have a chance at winning the right to the first overall selection. Under the previous lottery system, only the five teams with the fewest points in the standings had the opportunity to win the first overall selection as rules dictated no team could move up more than four spots.

The likelihood of each team gaining the right to the first pick is as follows:

Team 1 25.0%

Team 2 18.8%

Team 3 14.2%

Team 4 10.7%

Team 5 8.1%

Team 6 6.2%

Team 7 4.7%

Team 8 3.6%

Team 9 2.7%

Team 10 2.1%

Team 11 1.5%

Team 12 1.1%

Team 13 0.8%

Team 14 0.5%

LINK is here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Read just before the bottom and it shows in 2002 and 2003 where OUR Florida Panthers missed out on drafting RICK NASH and MARC ANDRE FLEURY.
We didn't miss out on them. We chose not to pick them. And the two guys we should have picked would have been Nash and Staal. Not Fluery. We already had Roberto Luongo.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

quick question: I know the Panthers drafted Bjugstad high and he's a great prospect, but is he viewed as a #1 center in the NHL or a #2 center? I've seen many people slot him in both places so I'm not sure. Can he be our #1 franchise center?

Old
03-04-2013, 03:35 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
quick question: I know the Panthers drafted Bjugstad high and he's a great prospect, but is he viewed as a #1 center in the NHL or a #2 center? I've seen many people slot him in both places so I'm not sure. Can he be our #1 franchise center?
Franchise center? No. Bjugstad isn't going to be a Top 10 NHL center. Bjugstad can become a #1 Center, although what really defines a #1 or #2 Center? Think grouping players upside via such a measurement is flawed.

Would seriously consider taking Drouin over Mackinnon.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
In time he will be our Franchise Center without a doubt unless we sign a huge FA Center in the next year or two. I'm really hoping he cracks the lineup next year and can work his way up to the #1 or #2 Center spot by the 2014-15 season.

Imagine a PP unit with Huber-Bjugstad-Mueller with Soupy and/or Kulikov or Guds in two years time barring we sign Mueller which should be easy as he's a RFA.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:40 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
In time he will be our Franchise Center without a doubt unless we sign a huge FA Center in the next year or two. I'm really hoping he cracks the lineup next year and can work his way up to the #1 or #2 Center spot by the 2014-15 season.

Imagine a PP unit with Huber-Bjugstad-Mueller with Soupy and/or Kulikov or Guds in two years time barring we sign Mueller which should be easy as he's a RFA.
Since you mention Mueller.....I like Mueller and i think we'll re-sign him, but i think he is a bit overrated by most panthers fans

Old
03-04-2013, 03:45 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Would seriously consider taking Drouin over Mackinnon.
Its a Ferrari VS a Lambo. Both have major offensive horsepower.

They are both 5'11 and weigh around 175-180lbs.

I think it comes down to personality and the mental aspects of their game.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:49 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Since you mention Mueller.....I like Mueller and i think we'll re-sign him, but i think he is a bit overrated by most panthers fans
How so?? He's a former first round pick (8th overall), got sidelined by concussion problems. This year he has been a bright spot for our offense and he's likely to get a 2yr-$5million deal.

I'd love to have him back, he's a hard worker, plays with heart every game and is only 24 years old. He has no signs of post concussion syndrome and I feel he can fine-tune any weaknesses he may have in practice.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:50 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:

I'd take Mackinnon, he has a right-handed shot and would fit nicely with Huberdeau either as his center or on his other side as a RW.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
How so?? He's a former first round pick (8th overall), got sidelined by concussion problems. This year he has been a bright spot for our offense and he's likely to get a 2yr-$5million deal.

I'd love to have him back, he's a hard worker, plays with heart every game and is only 24 years old. He has no signs of post concussion syndrome and I feel he can fine-tune any weaknesses he may have in practice.
I agree. And he had a real nice game yesterday. Those passes were money and he was very physical. He along with his linemates have been great and as far as I'm concerned, the brightest spot to this valley of a season. I don't care about losing Weiss or Upshall. But I'd be disappointed to lose Mules. Tallon definitely needs to re-sign this kid.

-ghoste

Old
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
He could be our #1 center, but it's far from a guarantee. He's not going to be a superstar, but he could be a Backes-like player that would thrive playing with players like Huberdeau. He has had a disappointing season, but the huge potential is still there. Hopefully he can turn it on down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Quote:

MacKinnon is 6'0", and Drouin is more like 5'10.5". Not a huge difference, but MacKinnon is a taller lanky body while Drouin is stockier. MacKinnon will end up being a little bigger, although in all likelihood he'll still be average sized. I don't think Drouin can put on that much more weight without it affecting his game. He relies on his agility to pull off all the moves he does. He doesn't possess great speed.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

MacKinnon out the last four weeks with a knee injury.

Man, if we do get the number one overall. We gotta decide between MacKinnon (the annual "Crosby" comparison and prodigy), Drouin (the guy with "Pat Kane hands" and who will put up the most points of anyone at the draft) and Jones (the annual "Pronger" comparison who apparently has a 0% chance of busting)

We're in line for the top pick halfway through the year and there is no clear cut number one.

Figures.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:25 AM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
MacKinnon out the last four weeks with a knee injury.

Man, if we do get the number one overall. We gotta decide between MacKinnon (the annual "Crosby" comparison and prodigy), Drouin (the guy with "Pat Kane hands" and who will put up the most points of anyone at the draft) and Jones (the annual "Pronger" comparison who apparently has a 0% chance of busting)

We're in line for the top pick halfway through the year and there is no clear cut number one.

Figures.
just our luck

Old
03-08-2013, 08:42 AM
ShootIt

I'd still say MacKinnon is the #1.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
freakstar
Paaaaaanthers

What about Barkov? Where is he projected to go in the draft?

I usually don't pay that much attention to the draft... only time I paid attention was when an old buddy of mine got drafted... and he happened to be drafted by the Panthers

Old
03-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstar View Post

I usually don't pay that much attention to the draft... only time I paid attention was when an old buddy of mine got drafted... and he happened to be drafted by the Panthers
Barkov could be drafted as early as #3 and figures to go in the top 5 right now (I cant see him sliding past there). Drouin probably would go 3rd in most mock drafts right now but a team could like Barkov's size better. The way I'm seeing the top 5 right now:

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Barkov
5. Lindholm

Old
03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstar View Post
He'll be a sleeper, like players from Europe usually are. I'll be very jealous of the team that gets him.

And what has to be said about the stuff that some posters say about Barkov not making it since Granlund dominated FEL and is now a mere mortal in the NHL. Granlund dominated because he had elite vision and ridiculous hands to feed the puck to guys on prime scoring chances, yet he struggled physically because of his small frame. Barkov has all the same tools that MG has (and IMO a better knack for scoring goals on his own) with a bigger frame which he uses well to his advantage and a more responsible 2-way game.

Also the season before MG was drafted, he was playing 2nd/3rd line minutes as a winger. Yes he played 2 years as a 1C, but that was after he was drafted. Barkov played last year 3C (IIRC, I'm not sure thou..) and now 1C at almost PPG, before he has even been drafted.

If there was a Selke like trophy awarded, Barkov would be the clear cut winner, the best 2-way player in FEL right now by a long mile IMO.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:30 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Barkov could be drafted as early as #3 and figures to go in the top 5 right now (I cant see him sliding past there). Drouin probably would go 3rd in most mock drafts right now but a team could like Barkov's size better. The way I'm seeing the top 5 right now:

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Barkov
5. Lindholm
Love MacKinnon's combination of size, speed, grit, skill and hockey IQ.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:38 AM
CaptainScrewy

Quote:
just our luck

Actually a positive for us. As long as we finish in the top 4 we are going to get an elite level prospect. Barkov, Jones, Mackinnon and Drouin are all really, really good and all are players who could be #1 picks in any draft year. Now if we get the #5 pick....now that's just our luck!

Old
03-08-2013, 10:45 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainScrewy View Post
Actually a positive for us. As long as we finish in the top 4 we are going to get an elite level prospect. Barkov, Jones, Mackinnon and Drouin are all really, really good and all are players who could be #1 picks in any draft year. Now if we get the #5 pick....now that's just our luck!
Don't worry, you might get Lindholm there if you're lucky. 5th all-time in scoring for players his age, six guys in that top-10 have had at least one 100 point season in the NHL. (He is also the youngest guy on the list, playing on a bad team). Lindholm is up there with Peter Forsberg and Henrik Sedin, two Art Ross and Hart winners.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:02 AM
jakethesnake23

I have no way to back this up, no proof or evidence (which is true when it comes to most prospects honestly), but I really do see Bjugstad becoming a bona-fide star in this league. Ridiculous combination of size and skill that is rarely seen. I dont like to overhype guys and am very quick to realize not everyone of our prospects will turn out the way we hoped, but something about this guy tells me he will be special. I think we have underestimated Drew Shore and the same will happen with Bjugstad. Will not bust, 100% guarantee.

I'm going on record now and saying this guy will be a dominant NHL centre.

Just my opinion.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
jakethesnake23

Oh, and anyone else not like it that any team that doesnt make the playoffs can get the 1st pick? Completely hate this new system... also thinking that the chances of us NOT geting the 1st pick overall (if we finish last) is 75% P***** me off

Old
03-08-2013, 11:20 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

I think MacKinnon will be the best fit for this team.

If you read the scouting reports on him, he's a DT guy. Since DT loves guys with a combo of speed, skill and grit. Plus, the hockey sense is a bonus. His 5'11''/ 6'0'' frame is decent and the girth will come later on to fill that out. His ability to stickhandle at top speed and finishing quality is what attracts me the most.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
CaptainScrewy

Can someone explain the new lottery rules? heard it mentioned a lot but not sure I understand it.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:35 PM
iam76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainScrewy View Post
Can someone explain the new lottery rules? heard it mentioned a lot but not sure I understand it.
the new rules means we can finish last and technically get the 14th pick in the draft correct?

Closed Thread