Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Realignment approved by BOG - Jets move to Western Conference, "Division B"

Old
03-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

vCash: 500
I love our new division and I look forward to hating all the teams in it!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:12 PM
StronGeer
PavOut #BuyOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I love our new division and I look forward to hating all the teams in it!
Except for Toews.

Gotta love Toews.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:13 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Except for Toews.

Gotta love Toews.
Chicago Toews!

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Except for Toews.

Gotta love Toews.
Why - does he wear a Jets uni?

Unless he does, I hate him. Even if I secretly love him, I'll still lustily boo any and all opposing players.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
This new alignment will have no choice but to force us to become a better team in EVERY regard. No if's, and's or but's about it. I like that.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Boreal

Glad to hear it is rubber stamped (as per the comments on the previous page). Sure beats where we are right now.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:00 PM
GreatSaveJesus

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
This new alignment will have no choice but to force us to become a better team in EVERY regard. No if's, and's or but's about it. I like that.
Or, we could just suck forever. Just sayin.

GreatSaveJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
Or, we could just suck forever. Just sayin.
Can't think like that. I want to be positive, therefore this will be positive for us

Old
03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Glad to hear it is rubber stamped (as per the comments on the previous page). Sure beats where we are right now.
Here's our future division right now:

Team W-L-T PTS
Chicago 21-0-3 45
St. Louis 12-9-2 26
Minny 11-9-2 24
Dallas 11-9-2 24
Winnipeg 11-11-1 23
Nashville 9-9-5 23
Colorado 8-10-4 20

They're changing the playoff qualification format. Top 3 in each of the four divisions make it in, and then there are 2 wildcards per conference (two teams with most points outside of divisional top 3's). No crossovers.

So right now the Top 3 in the Midwest are Chicago, St. Louis and Minnesota, Top 3 in the Pacific are Anaheim, Vancouver and LA and the Wildcards are San Jose and Phoenix.

The East would have Montreal, Boston and Toronto as Top 3 in the Central, and Pittsburgh, Carolina and NJ as Top 3 in the Atlantic. The Wildcards would be Ottawa and Detroit.

In this scenario the Wildcards account for one division in each conference sending 5 teams to the playoffs (Pacific sends ANA, VAN, LAK, SJS and PHO; Central sends MTL, BOS, TOR, OTT, DET).

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

NHL realignment

What do you guys think? I am kind of bummed out about we have no other Canadian teams in our division and the only teams that are appealing are Blackhawks and the wild.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ent-nhlpa.html

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Jetsfan79

Not a big fan of this realignment but I like it better than last year's proposal.

Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Really happy the realignment has finally been confirmed and the Jets are in a CST division.

Since the Jets relocated I've never really been able to get "worked up" about their division opponents because I knew it was only temporary.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:05 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Here's our future division right now:

Team W-L-T PTS
Chicago 21-0-3 45
St. Louis 12-9-2 26
Minny 11-9-2 24
Dallas 11-9-2 24
Winnipeg 11-11-1 23
Nashville 9-9-5 23
Colorado 8-10-4 20

They're changing the playoff qualification format. Top 3 in each of the four divisions make it in, and then there are 2 wildcards per conference (two teams with most points outside of divisional top 3's). No crossovers.

So right now the Top 3 in the Midwest are Chicago, St. Louis and Minnesota, Top 3 in the Pacific are Anaheim, Vancouver and LA and the Wildcards are San Jose and Phoenix.

The East would have Montreal, Boston and Toronto as Top 3 in the Central, and Pittsburgh, Carolina and NJ as Top 3 in the Atlantic. The Wildcards would be Ottawa and Detroit.

In this scenario the Wildcards account for one division in each conference sending 5 teams to the playoffs (Pacific sends ANA, VAN, LAK, SJS and PHO; Central sends MTL, BOS, TOR, OTT, DET).
Thanks for this Gm0ney!
Thought I'd add Fenwick, just to show how teams compare 5v5 if you remove goaltending

TeamFenwickRankFenwickCloseFenwickHomeFenwickAway
CHI 03 55.31 58.18 52.76
STL 04 55.11 55.13 55.09
DAL 13 51.03 49.53 52.43
WPG 14 50.93 50.19 51.72
COL 22 47.60 50.96 45.42
MIN 24 45.90 51.35 39.17
NSH 25 45.65 48.22 43.05
Data as of Mar 7, 3:30 AM
Close means when the game is within 2 pts

Be interesting who gets hurt more. Us without the soft SE or Minnie without the soft NW... my guess is Minnie... as they haven't really been that great outside of their top pair D and goaltending... but who knows.

Looks like we're a bubble team again boys!

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Still not a fan of the 16 teams in one conference and 14 in the other, but it is what it is so I can get over it. Looking forward to being in the West. I hope our team is up for it.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Still not a fan of the 16 teams in one conference and 14 in the other, but it is what it is so I can get over it. Looking forward to being in the West. I hope our team is up for it.
This will be temporary, with expansion likely in the card in a couple years, then balance will be restored.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:22 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I hear you, but there are physically more teams in the Eastern part of North America, and the 2 teams on the so called border (Detroit and Columbus) both want to be in the East for a variety of reasons. Western teams are still at a travel disadvantage, and with a wild card system the 8th seed in each conference will be comparable points wise. No system is perfect, but this makes sense. The immediate problem for the Jets will be the strength of competition in their new division.

But it sure would be great to win the Southeast before we leave it

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:45 AM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

Can't wait for this - I'll be able to talk the missus into at least one road trip each to minni and Chi-town. The downside is that I'm expected to take her shopping, which means every single f'ing Target store in the state. minni is covered by Target stores. It seems as though every street in minni has one at the end of the block - just another reason to hate minni. Well, at least there's Fleet Farm - the bigger, better Princess Auto, for consolation.

Does this mean we get to troll the minni boards for every game? I can't wait for all the butt-hurt minni fans crying 'cause they keep losing to the Jets! Unfortunately, all that the redneck minni fans will be able to do is inarticulately rage against us.

I feel sorry for the neckbeard minni fans - they're going to be at the bottom looking up at Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg. Even worse? They'll be looking up at the Avalanche!

The above is all in jest, of course (excepting the first paragraph) I'm just doing what I can to further the rivalry!

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:59 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Does it bother anyone that our division is called the Mid-West instead of the Central? How the hell is Boston "central"?

Otherwise I'm fine with the realignment since the unbalanced conferences aren't unbalanced against the Jets. It's interesting to note that the realignment will be revisited in 2 years (after 2014-2015).

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:00 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 600
Quote:
This will be temporary, with expansion likely in the card in a couple years, then balance will be restored.
So, does this make Seattle and Kansas City the targets then? Kansas City used to be rumored quite a bit, but not so much lately. Houston? Nah...

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:18 AM
SCP Guy

I'm ready to hate new teams

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
So, does this make Seattle and Kansas City the targets then? Kansas City used to be rumored quite a bit, but not so much lately. Houston? Nah...
Seattle for sure. I would think Houston would come before Kansas City, but I've also heard Portland thrown into the mix. That second team is a bit of a crapshoot at this point.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:51 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 600
Quote:
Seattle for sure. I would think Houston would come before Kansas City, but I've also heard Portland thrown into the mix. That second team is a bit of a crapshoot at this point.
It would be pretty epic if Seattle and Portland (my hometown) got teams at the same time! Instant rivalry, decent numbers of hockey fans in both cities, but kind of crazy to launch two brand-new teams so geographically close together. Sounds like Bettman might go for it...

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
cheswick

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Does it bother anyone that our division is called the Mid-West instead of the Central? How the hell is Boston "central"?

Otherwise I'm fine with the realignment since the unbalanced conferences aren't unbalanced against the Jets. It's interesting to note that the realignment will be revisited in 2 years (after 2014-2015).
The division names are assinine.

How is Dallas Mid-west?

Also of note the title of the thread says realignment is confirmed. The BOG still has to approve it so technically its not confirmed yet.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
razorsedge

I suggested division and conference names earlier in this thread but I'll mention it again.

Pacific division, central division, east division, atlantic division.

National western conference
National eastern conference

Sounds better to me than midwest division.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
I suggested division and conference names earlier in this thread but I'll mention it again.

Pacific division, central division, east division, atlantic division.

National western conference
National eastern conference

Sounds better to me than midwest division.
Those are much better (other than adding National in front of the conferences) and I think that's what TSN was originally calling them when the first 4-division proposal came out. Midwest just seems like pandering to the American crowd. No one refers to any part of Canada as midwest Canada.

From wikipedia:

Note: Detroit is very much a part of the midwest - yet another reason I think it's crazy that Detroit is moving east, on top of the issue of balanced conferences and existing rivalries. Colorado, Dallas, Nashville and Winnipeg are not part of the midwest. The NHL is 3/7 on that one.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote