HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign, recall D Steven Oleksy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2013, 09:14 AM
  #151
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 28,353
vCash: 50
It seems like nothing boils their blood more than fans favoring tough players. Like they are actually detriments to the lineup, and all the GM's in the history of time were dumb to ink them. The boil over occurs when the player exceeds expectations and fans enjoy the moment, or they are rewarded with a contract.

Tougher players are almost always fan favorites. Hockey can get boring without any physical play in the game. Does anyone here want to watch non-contact hockey?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:28 AM
  #152
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,738
vCash: 500
I can't speak for anyone else, but I like that the Caps have tough guys on the team, and want to see them succeed. Just because I am skeptical of their continued success, does not indicate that I want to see them fail. That is a disastrous leap of logic and only serves to fit an agenda.

Do I like Erskine and want to see him succeed? Of course. Do I think he should be counted on for top 4 minutes for an entire season? No.

Do I like watching Olesky kabong guys out there? Absolutely. I haven't seen a hip check like that since TFS was around. Do I think the Caps should count on him as a top 6 option after a 2 game sample? That would be foolish in my book.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:32 AM
  #153
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It seems like nothing boils their blood more than fans favoring tough players. Like they are actually detriments to the lineup, and all the GM's in the history of time were dumb to ink them. The boil over occurs when the player exceeds expectations and fans enjoy the moment, or they are rewarded with a contract.

Tougher players are almost always fan favorites. Hockey can get boring without any physical play in the game. Does anyone here want to watch non-contact hockey?
True. I have seen it gets their ire. I remember the same type of poster who reacted adversly to all such signings. I recall I had a different screen name in tribute to #24 and his beastliness. Alot of the same guys who don't like Erskine/Oleksy didn't like Tinordi and would find ways to downplay how good he was when we got into debates.

I remember alot of old school debates of who was more important Stevens or Langway? You can tell alot about the philosophy behind a poster based on their response to that question. Its not that either one is "right" or "wrong" its just that bias on how to skin the cat comes into play.

I don't think anyone needs to ask what side I fall on.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:40 AM
  #154
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 31,325
vCash: 500
There a difference between tough guys...and tough guys with added skill/talent.

Ive always wanted that nice balance of guys that can play and play pissed off...so at least to this point this dude seems to get the pissed off part and is playing smart. Im not keeping my hopes up of him continuing the trend since I have no idea who he is and I dont think anyone on here knew about him prior to signing.

Good story...but I seriously doubt it lasts.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
  #155
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 28,353
vCash: 50
I still wonder how skin a cat became such a popular expression. Did our ancestors eat cats?

Speaking of Langway and Stevens, those 2 support my argument over the theory that "not noticing a defensemen is good"

Not noticing a defensemen reeks of a player that does not try to hit, does not lay down to block a shot, and does not try to score. Sure they can survive and eek out a fine career, but they are not the ones that will ever lead the team to the promised land.

I want George to continue to seek those that attempt to lead, for better or for worse, I do not care. We cannot fail more than we have already.

This team clearly needs a leader on the blueline. Erskine of all players is filling the void. Its nice to see a kid called up that at least tries to bring that same attitude and approach.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:44 AM
  #156
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

Good story...but I seriously doubt it lasts.
I'm 99% sure the points and +/- are an abberation. But I am also sure the physical play and hitting is not. As long as he brings the latter he has a spot in a D lineup that sorely lacks it.

Goalies (ask Hotlby) really love this type of defender (like #4). We need more than 1 guy on our D who clears the crease and hits with regularity.

I still have no idea why Carlson doesn't have more of that in his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I still wonder how skin a cat became such a popular expression. Did our ancestors eat cats?

Speaking of Langway and Stevens, those 2 support my argument over the theory that "not noticing a defensemen is good"

Not noticing a defensemen reeks of a player that does not try to hit, does not lay down to block a shot, and does try to score. Sure they can survive and eek out a fine career, but they are not the ones that will ever lead the team to the promised land.

I want George to continue to seek those that attempt to lead, for better or for worse, I do not care. We cannot fail more than we have already.

This team clearly needs a leader on the blueline. Erskine of all players is filling the void. Its nice to see a kid called up that at least tries to bring that same attitude and approach.

Yeah you definitely can be a solid Dman if you are the type that goes unoticed=doing good job.

I too prefer to have the guy willing to make a difference and stick his nose into things and be disruptive.

There is a level of competitive emotion that comes into it that brings emotion and confidence to the whole team and the crowd for that matter.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:57 AM
  #157
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 28,353
vCash: 50
Like usual, it comes back to George, not Oleks trending bandwagon fans.

We are entitled to support his moves or hate them, but the fans are left in the middle of the debate. He is the expert on players we do not know, he is the one in the game. He is the one that thinks that 2nd and 3rd year of the contract will be gravy, much like he probably did when he inked his future Norris guy Sarge. GM & Oates are the ones that see so much potential in the kid. After just 2 games, its easy to see what they have been seeing.

Like we are seeing here, there is more to his game than penalty minutes. I never saw that potential in Sarge.

Anyone want to throw out a comparable player.

Kasparatis... no Randy Holt, no not angry enough. Pothier on red bull?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:02 AM
  #158
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 31,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I still have no idea why Carlson doesn't have more of that in his game.
You cant just teach mean/angry. Either a dude has that nastiness...or he doesn't. I wish Carlson had it...he just doesnt.

I am glad to see Mafki working on that aspect with the team. Bringing in some nasty. Need moar.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:04 AM
  #159
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Anyone want to throw out a comparable player.

Kasparatis... no Randy Holt, no not angry enough. Pothier on red bull?
I'd say a bit of a smaller Bob Rouse. Never a big scorer but competent with the puck, was a decent skater and always looked for a hit. Could scrap a bit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
You cant just teach mean/angry. Either a dude has that nastiness...or he doesn't. I wish Carlson had it...he just doesnt.

I am glad to see Mafki working on that aspect with the team. Bringing in some nasty. Need moar.
There are rare exceptions but more often than not you are right.

The nasty factor is going up and its a good thing to see on the team especially on the backend.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:12 AM
  #160
hb11xchamps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 3,840
vCash: 500
Bears fan here. What I can tell u is Oleksys game is strictly old school. He does not chip in offensively much in Hershey he is your classic rugged hard nosed defender. The guy clears people out of the crease, makes big hits, and sticks up for his teammates. There have been numerous times this year where Steve has went down the ice after someone who questionably hit a Bear and fought them. And with his small size he normally wins a lot of his fights. I don't see him keep getting points but he will continue to hit and hit a lot. I really hope he keeps it up. Great guy and great teammate

On another note I'm sure McPhee had little to do with this signing I'm sure it mainly was Bear GM Doug Yingst, Oates, and Johansson

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:18 AM
  #161
CrashTheNet9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Bears fan here. What I can tell u is Oleksys game is strictly old school. He does not chip in offensively much in Hershey he is your classic rugged hard nosed defender. The guy clears people out of the crease, makes big hits, and sticks up for his teammates. There have been numerous times this year where Steve has went down the ice after someone who questionably hit a Bear and fought them. And with his small size he normally wins a lot of his fights. I don't see him keep getting points but he will continue to hit and hit a lot. I really hope he keeps it up. Great guy and great teammate

On another note I'm sure McPhee had little to do with this signing I'm sure it mainly was Bear GM Doug Yingst, Oates, and Johansson
Thanks for the impression. I think the bolded part is something we need. For too long the Caps have been gutless and not defended their teammates. No one on the roster likes confrontation.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:20 AM
  #162
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 28,353
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
....

There is a level of competitive emotion that comes into it that brings emotion and confidence to the whole team and the crowd for that matter.
Energy. Life. Ovi has been the one carrying the team for years. Sure a few fights here and there, but that is his support. Creating a positive energy may well turn out to be O2's best asset.

The teams across the league seem to be so close, well, outside of poor Florida my lord. Anything that can get a little advantage should be explored. Try and throw one big hit a game? It sure doesn't sound risky to me, and may provide a fine return. You don't know if you don't try. We don't try.

The game is often controlled by momentum and all that happens on the ice ties together. Our D throw a big hit. The home crowd goes crazy. The away crowd - you know the sound they make. 20,000 people cant be wrong.

You can see Ovi and the players around him enjoying hockey once again. I am seeing a positive energy. I never saw that with Nyco or Sloan or Fahey or Collins.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
  #163
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Well stated overall RH.

But those fans that are being negative towards #61 have an agenda. He does not fit their philosophical vision about how the game should be played. They are biased against physical play and undervalue it. They want to see him fail for this reason.

Its only been two games. I am sure he will have his "downs" just like every other dman on the team (Carlson for example) and the usual suspects will come in and attack him. The same people who are waiting for Erskine to fail.

Nothing boils their blood more than seeing tough guys do well.
False, false, false.

I'm biased against guys that aren't particularly good. If more would pay attention to the individual aspects of his game instead of being blinded by the hits, you'd see that this isn't some guy changing the complexion of the team--this is a guy who's had a decent couple of games that could have just as easily been disasters if Boston finished a few plays while he was on the ice, and Florida's roster wasn't full of AHL fodder like him.

I'd love nothing more than to see a Douglas Murray, Brooks Orpik, or Matt Greene type defenseman--a physical punisher who's actually good at defense. I was bummed when didn't pursue/missed out on Seidenberg. and didn't trade for Regehr,

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:14 AM
  #164
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
False, false, false.

I'm biased against guys that aren't particularly good. If more would pay attention to the individual aspects of his game instead of being blinded by the hits, you'd see that this isn't some guy changing the complexion of the team--this is a guy who's had a decent couple of games that could have just as easily been disasters if Boston finished a few plays while he was on the ice, and Florida's roster wasn't full of AHL fodder like him.

I'd love nothing more than to see a Douglas Murray, Brooks Orpik, or Matt Greene type defenseman--a physical punisher who's actually good at defense. I was bummed when didn't pursue/missed out on Seidenberg. and didn't trade for Regehr,
I can FEEL your anger.....he looks pretty good at defense to me so far. Oates thinks he was greatly improved in Hershey.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
  #165
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I can FEEL your anger.....he looks pretty good at defense to me so far. Oates thinks he was greatly improved in Hershey.
Disagree on his defensive effectiveness. He doesn't seem to be able to handle any forward with any sort of size and/or power--not a good sign for a physical, stay-at-home defenseman.

My 'anger' (which is more accurately described as mild annoyance) stems from the declarations of him as an impact player/game changer, and the dismissal of actual good players like Alzner and Green to build him up.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:20 AM
  #166
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Disagree on his defensive effectiveness. He doesn't seem to be able to handle any forward with any sort of size and/or power--not a good sign for a physical, stay-at-home defenseman.

My 'anger' (which is more accurately described as mild annoyance) stems from the declarations of him as an impact player/game changer, and the dismissal of actual good players like Alzner and Green to build him up.
Wait..what???

He destroyed a much bigger guy in Thornton and crushed that big kid from FLA (Mathias?). He seems to be handling them just fine to me.

He provides something, which outside of Erskine, we lack. Physical play. Its important.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:25 AM
  #167
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Wait..what???

He destroyed a much bigger guy in Thornton and crushed that big kid from FLA (Mathias?). He seems to be handling them just fine to me.

He provides something, which outside of Erskine, we lack. Physical play. Its important.
Being able to land a hit doesn't equate to being able to handle them. See a younger Mike Green.

He got dragged around the defensive zone repeatedly by Mathias and Skille last night--that's what led to Florida's goal. Mathias drove right into the slot with Oleksy on his back.

And he had issues moving any of Boston's bigger forwards from around the net. He tried, which is better than can be said about a lot of Caps defenseman, but it didn't really work.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
  #168
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Disagree on his defensive effectiveness. He doesn't seem to be able to handle any forward with any sort of size and/or power--not a good sign for a physical, stay-at-home defenseman.

My 'anger' (which is more accurately described as mild annoyance) stems from the declarations of him as an impact player/game changer, and the dismissal of actual good players like Alzner and Green to build him up.
I would say he absolutely had an impact on the games Tuesday and Thursday. Huge, game-changing impact? Maybe not. Is he the kind of player who will consistently make impact plays at the NHL level? Almost certainly not. But the plays he did make are the kind that generate momentum and give the real impact players more confidence to go do their thing.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:27 AM
  #169
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Being able to land a hit doesn't equate to being able to handle them. See a younger Mike Green.

He got dragged around the defensive zone repeatedly by Mathias and Skille last night--that's what led to Florida's goal. Mathias drove right into the slot with Oleksy on his back last night.

And he had issues moving any of Boston's bigger forwards from around the net. He tried, which is better than can be said about a lot of Caps defenseman, but it didn't really work.
Holtby disagrees with you. I do too. I thought he was very effective in that regard.

Also its his first 2 NHL games playing with new teamates and a new system.

I sense your head would explode Scanners style if he maintains his level of play and becomes a fan favorite

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:27 AM
  #170
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,418
vCash: 500
I enjoy watching his game and he brings a tough, simple game that the Caps have lacked for too long. With Hendricks, Big John, Volpatti, and now Oleksy we have multiple guys that might actually stand up for their teammates. I almost wish that Panthers player wasn't given a game misconduct yesterday so we could have seen if there would have been any retaliation.

Do I think he's going to continue his ppg average? Hell no, but that's not why he's here. He's playing well right now. Let's see how he develops.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:28 AM
  #171
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,445
vCash: 500
If he maintains his level of play, he won't be here when the defense gets healthy.

If he elevates his level of play, I'd have no problem with him staying and becoming a fan favorite.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
  #172
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If he maintains his level of play, he won't be here when the defense gets healthy.

If he elevates his level of play, I'd have no problem with him staying and becoming a fan favorite.
I think you are the only one who thinks he hasn't played well in these two games...

Perhaps its possible that you see it this way b/c you didn't like the signing and want to justify your initial stance? Seems like it bro

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
  #173
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 28,353
vCash: 50
It wasn't too long ago a few people here were suggesting Kundratek deserved to sit. Many have been complaining about Carlson. Why stop there, and Green.

I do not see Kunds play being above a demotion or scratch.

Sure he is carrying a heavy load with Green out, but with Green back...

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:36 AM
  #174
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I think you are the only one who thinks he hasn't played well in these two games...

Perhaps its possible that you see it this way b/c you didn't like the signing and want to justify your initial stance? Seems like it bro
When did I say he hasn't played well?

I said he's got a ton of holes that haven't been repeatedly exposed yet.

When other teams get the book on him, they will. He hasn't shown a skill set diverse enough or any skill dominant enough to overcome that.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:41 AM
  #175
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 6,899
vCash: 500
ORRlesky's stats

15 shifts against Boston, TOI 10:05, 2 shots and an assist
24 shifts against Florida, TOI 22:13, 2 assists, he's now a +4

Must admit some of his time in the Florida game was increased when the likes of Carlson did not play much of the third period as Oates acknowledged that with the lead he opted to rest Carlson.


Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 03-08-2013 at 04:23 PM.
BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.