HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers @ Islanders 3/7/13 - What Is This Gaborik You Speak Of?

View Poll Results: Three Stars of the Game?
Anton Stralman 5 2.94%
Rick Nash 152 89.41%
Ryan McDonagh 4 2.35%
Roman Hamrlik 2 1.18%
Steve Eminger 1 0.59%
Dan Girardi 6 3.53%
Michael Del Zotto 4 2.35%
Marian Gaborik 65 38.24%
Ryan Callahan 7 4.12%
Henrik Lundqvist 135 79.41%
Carl Hagelin 6 3.53%
JT Miller 9 5.29%
Michael Haley 2 1.18%
Jeff Halpern 2 1.18%
Taylor Pyatt 0 0%
Brian Boyle 1 0.59%
Martin Biron 0 0%
Derek Stepan 71 41.76%
Stu Pickles 2 1.18%
Darroll Powe 1 0.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They have huge void in net. And Isles fans chanting "Nabby" a la "Henrik" is just pathetic.
What? You dont believe in Kevin Poulin???

Nabakov is on borrowed time, but I thought he was excellent last night. When he breaks down/his performance dips, they are in big trouble with that D.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:10 AM
zuckera1

Good thing Gaborik got the winner, he was TERRIBLE during the rest of the game. Hopefully the goal will get him going, we need him to produce

zuckera1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Martin would be a great fit anywhere in the league. Those types of players are more valuable than their stats suggest. The Rangers are lacking someone like that. I was hoping Haley could provide some of that on the 4th line, he has looked decent. Moves pretty well.
Yeah I just wish at this point that they'd kept Prust, but it would have involved some other moves that I don't think the Rangers were willing to make, nor did they necessarily have the ability to guess how things might turn out if they did make them.

Brian Boyle carries a $1.7 mill cap hit. Prusts cap hit last year was $800k. If they ditched Boyle somehow (who's been downright useless this year) and re-signed Prust at the $2.5 mill he got, they'd break even and have a MUCH more useful player. A lineup like:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Gaborik-Richards-Callahan
Prust-Miller-Pyatt
Power-Halpern-Asham/Haley/whoever

I'd take that in a second over what the lineup looks like with Boyle.

But like I said, that would take some maneuvering and guesswork and knowledge that Miller would be effective at this level.

I'm pretty sure Boyle is playing his way off this team and wouldn't be surprised to see him traded. He's taking up too much cap space for his contributions at this point

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:17 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah I just wish at this point that they'd kept Prust, but it would have involved some other moves that I don't think the Rangers were willing to make, nor did they necessarily have the ability to guess how things might turn out if they did make them.

Brian Boyle carries a $1.7 mill cap hit. Prusts cap hit last year was $800k. If they ditched Boyle somehow (who's been downright useless this year) and re-signed Prust at the $2.5 mill he got, they'd break even and have a MUCH more useful player. A lineup like:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Gaborik-Richards-Callahan
Prust-Miller-Pyatt
Power-Halpern-Asham/Haley/whoever

I'd take that in a second over what the lineup looks like with Boyle.

But like I said, that would take some maneuvering and guesswork and knowledge that Miller would be effective at this level.

I'm pretty sure Boyle is playing his way off this team and wouldn't be surprised to see him traded. He's taking up too much cap space for his contributions at this point
Totally agree. Don't forget Rupp either who made 1.5 million.

I really think the Rangers are scouring the league to find his replacement. The Mashinter trade and now the Haley call-up, plus the trade of Rupp for a PKer like Powe signals to me that they are missing him more than they thought they would.

Boyle should be shipped off for what they can get. Miller has easily outplayed him this season. Halpern should be re-signed for another year. He has been outstanding in his role.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:18 AM
16 To Stanley*

Love how the islanders are complaining about the refs. Apparently Okposo got a game misconduct as did the assistant coach. I mean Grabner's penalty was clear as day.

And for all the isles fans who rip our coach, Capuano is such a big baby. don't whine about it in your press conference.. Other than the first there team was outplayed the whole game. The third period was all rangers.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
Good thing Gaborik got the winner, he was TERRIBLE during the rest of the game. Hopefully the goal will get him going, we need him to produce
Hopefully this will jump start him, but it's hard to watch him lose almost every battle in the corners

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Totally agree. Don't forget Rupp either who made 1.5 million.

I really think the Rangers are scouring the league to find his replacement. The Mashinter trade and now the Haley call-up, plus the trade of Rupp for a PKer like Powe signals to me that they are missing him more than they thought they would.

Boyle should be shipped off for what they can get. Miller has easily outplayed him this season. Halpern should be re-signed for another year. He has been outstanding in his role.
Halp has done a good job, especially on the PK, love his tenacity and speed, good on faceoffs too

Old
03-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
He was.

And Im not so sure how a 4 on 3 PP goal (a situation that almost never happens in regulation) is going to "get him going"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He was.

And Im not so sure how a 4 on 3 PP goal (a situation that almost never happens in regulation) is going to "get him going"
Hopefully in confidence. Not passing up shots. It's always feels good to contribute. Love to get a little good-natured rivalry going between Gaborik and Nash.

03-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
He was.

I thought the line of Gabby, Miller and Cally created alot of chances; Nabokov stoned them. Gabby was good and then in OT he was special. Our PP has been much better lately largely because Gabby is on the point and making some very smart passes. Plus he creates space because the opposition doesn't want him to shoot. When he shoots, often enough goals happen. Hopefully this gets him into a good streak.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Hopefully this will jump start him, but it's hard to watch him lose almost every battle in the corners
But that's not his game! It's OK to dog it in the trenches because he's a ninja!

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Bardof425*

Where is the McD love? John Tavares had very few chances last night. Mac and Danny are mostly responsible. Mac's ability to skate out of trouble and make a smart, on the tape outlet pass is totally underrated here. He's a beast and I think we are starting to take him for granted. If you would have told me before the game that JT would be scoreless I would have laughed.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
But that's not his game! It's OK to dog it in the trenches because he's a ninja!
I hear you, but Torts loves the corners, he belongs in the slot

Old
03-08-2013, 09:54 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Someone Photoshop a guitar with this
Cally's gonna have to play Hendrix style. His hands are upside down otherwise. Also had to draw in some ghetto fingers on his hand since there was a helmet in the way

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Where is the McD love? John Tavares had very few chances last night. Mac and Danny are mostly responsible. Mac's ability to skate out of trouble and make a smart, on the tape outlet pass is totally underrated here. He's a beast and I think we are starting to take him for granted. If you would have told me before the game that JT would be scoreless I would have laughed.
You're right they are both so good we take them for granted both played outstanding

Old
03-08-2013, 10:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

What a classic pic, made even better with that photoshop.

Seriously, thats a really great shot with Gabby in full swing and the one Rangers fan in the back who's calling the goal before it goes in. Awesome.

Did anyone else think of Graves when they saw Cally leap like that? I remember Gravy doing that all the time back in the day. He lived there.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
It occurs to me that I don't think I've ever seen Nash take a slap shot. If he did I don't remember it.

Not really part of his game, nor is it typically part of Gaborik's either. Supposed to be Richards department.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
What a classic pic, made even better with that photoshop.

Seriously, thats a really great shot with Gabby in full swing and the one Rangers fan in the back who's calling the goal before it goes in. Awesome.

Did anyone else think of Graves when they saw Cally leap like that? I remember Gravy doing that all the time back in the day. He lived there.
Yep, I mentioned it in the GDT. Reminded me so much of Graves especially in 94 before he started getting back issues.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
He was.

Confidence booster maybe, or at least maybe to get him to skate and shoot more

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:31 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
What? This isn't true at all. Bickel and Finley were about to fight. They would have cancelled eachother out. Stop hating on Bickel for no apparent reason. He was fine last night.
Finley dropped his glove first (as in just one glove). They did comment if Finley dropped it or threw it but to me, it looked like he wanted to go.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:36 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
He was.

When you are a goal scorer who hasn't scored in ages, scoring a goal is a big confidence builder. And he did have several excellent shots on goal in the previous game. So he's trending in the right direction, although I'd still like to see a bit more from him in general.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:39 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Agreed. Other than the odd man rushes we kept giving up, Tavaras was invisible... and this is the exact reason why Gaborik is on the same team as Nash, and Callahan... Last year, we ONLY had gaborik, but it was so easy to shut him down, and then what? No scoring. Finally, we have someone else who can drive the net a create chances..

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:41 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
When you are a goal scorer who hasn't scored in ages, scoring a goal is a big confidence builder. And he did have several excellent shots on goal in the previous game. So he's trending in the right direction, although I'd still like to see a bit more from him in general.
Again, just like Richards... We are talking about someone at the end of his prime, in a shortened season, with no training camp, and a physically weak frame due to a lockout creating lack of strength in the body...

They are both in slumps, and they will both get over them. Right now, we aren't seeing it, but we've won the last 4... you can't say we're a terrible team any more (although we could be much better). I'm interested to see how they play as a team tonight play tonight. Ottawa seems to be a tough team for the Rangers to beat.

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
JD123

Quote:
Totally Agree What Girardi and MCD do night in and night out is awesome. Without either one we are toast night in night out. Thats why I thought the possible end of our season was Feb 23rd against Montreal when both guys went down with injuries. Lets hope we get back a healthy Staal soon and our defense isn't looking too bad

JD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
It occurs to me that I don't think I've ever seen Nash take a slap shot. If he did I don't remember it.

Not really part of his game, nor is it typically part of Gaborik's either. Supposed to be Richards department.
I think he did in the 2nd period when Miller dove to tip the puck to him and he hit the outside of the net.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote