HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan McDonagh offer sheet

Old
03-08-2013, 06:25 AM
PropJoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
for the most part I agree with the premise of thsi post.

but you have quite the cap problems and since I don't think you understand the timing of it all, I'll explain.

McD is a RFA this summer. The Flyers have 2 million available this summer to replace 7 bodies. An Offer-sheet to McD is going to run you close to 5-6 million?

The cap is going down to 64mil. You will have 2.25 to replace those 7 lost bodies. How do you expect to do that AND sign ANYONE to an offer-sheet and then expect to be protected to any retaliation?

the guys you refer to are not RFA's until the summer of 2014 at which time the Rangers will be losing the Gabby Contract maybe buying out Richards.

Cap space that year for the Rangers is SOOO not going to be a problem
Flyers will probably have about 13 million. Pronger will be LTIR and I think most Flyers fans agree Briere will likely be bought out. Those 6 guys you're talking about are either likely to be let go or cost next to nothing.

PropJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:28 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

They may not match. They have del Zotto, Staal and Girardi, they can't give all of them the same contract. Like Suter and Weber last summer, someone is expendable. I would guess they would trade him before an offer sheet happens.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:39 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
They may not match. They have del Zotto, Staal and Girardi, they can't give all of them the same contract. Like Suter and Weber last summer, someone is expendable. I would guess they would trade him before an offer sheet happens.
They trade MDZ and or Girardi before they trade McD.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:11 AM
dashripdot

Even with the reduced cap next season, Rangers have almost $11 mil to resign Step, Hagelin and McD, mostly because of the Redden reduced hit and what's left of Drury's hit coming off the cap number. Asham, the extra defensemen, and even Boyle, if need be, could be sacrificed if it got dicey, but it shouldn't get that far.

dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashripdot View Post
Even with the reduced cap next season, Rangers have almost $11 mil to resign Step, Hagelin and McD, mostly because of the Redden reduced hit and what's left of Drury's hit coming off the cap number. Asham, the extra defensemen, and even Boyle, if need be, could be sacrificed if it got dicey, but it shouldn't get that far.
Correct. There are so many options Sather has to open up cap-space it's not even funny. Shame that people in this thread are oblivious to certain facts.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
If a team comes in and offers this guy $6M per, do the Rags match? I think thats a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for compensation.

The cap is dropping. Only a few lower level contracts are expiring for them. Stepan and Hagelin are due raises. I guess they could buy out Richards or trade Gaborik. What do Ranger fans think?
If I was Montreal I would make the offer. Just to drive up his price

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:07 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Cannot compare the Rangers to Nashville.

Nashville is not a cap team. They cannot afford to spend to the upper limit. If they did, the could have resigned Suter and Weber EASILY

The Rangers OTOH, are an upper limit team and as mentioned in other threads, with 10.9 million available and only 3 significant players to address this summer, they have the room and the ability to create additional cap space should things get dicey.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
If I was Montreal I would make the offer. Just to drive up his price
You have to realize that Sather will do the same to Montreal on key RFA's as well right? It's not just a 1 way street.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Can you offer sheet guys coming off of ELCs?
Re: yak and RNH
Once they enter the window for RFA they can be offer sheeted. However keep in mind RNH still has the 13/14 season before RFA and Yakupov has 2 years after this. That's really the only area Tambellini has done well at...neither Eberle nor Hall were anywhere close to RFA before their extensions were signed. Risky yes, but prevents a situation like ROR and Colorado.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Hear the same stuff every time one of our RFA's comes up for a contract and we've yet to lose any of them to offer sheets. Cap hasn't been an issue yet, so why would it suddenly be an issue now? If the key to keeping McDonagh is getting rid of Richards, then you get rid of Richards. Pretty simple.

Slim chance he even makes it into the offer-sheet window to begin with.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:11 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
It would have to be more than $6m to get McDonagh to sign it. He's on a top club, he's the top dman, he seems to be well liked by the coach, he's in a good city, and Sather overpays every FA.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Broad Street Elite

Why would a team willing to offer an offer sheet to a young defenseman go after McD, when there is a better and arguably more vulnerable asset in OEL who is probably a bit more likely target with almost no chance of retribution anytime soon.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
After all the big talk in this thread by Rangers fans, I really hope Holmgren offer sheets McD. The reaction around here would be priceless.

I generally don't worry about other GMs trying to get revenge for offer sheets because it has never happened before, but I really wouldn't worry about Sather. He's got everything he can handle + more over these next 2 years, first trying to fit Hagelin, Stepan, and McD under the cap this year and then trying to re-up Callahan, Girardi, MDZ, and potentially Stralman too the next year.

If the Flyers lock Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier up this offseason, I'd have no problem aggressively pursuing an offer sheet to McD or any other RFA defenseman out there.
Sather has been quoted before saying something along the lines of the fact that he doesn't believe in offer sheets and that it is a highly disrespectful thing to do. That combined with how the Rangers organize their team contracts to make sure they have space by not having to handle all their players in one season allows them to plan ahead accordingly.

Going to war with Sather over an RFA who would be matched would be a bad idea considering that Ranger fans know he would take it personally, and that the Rangers can actually spend to the cap. He would probably take it as an opportunity to price gouge all their RFA's for a while and put them in a tough position.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I would be shocked if McD or Giroux got anywhere close to being eligible for an offer sheet. Both guys will get signed well before that could happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
I highly doubt that.
So you expect that PHI won't lock Giroux up long term WELL before he becomes a RFA? When have the Flyers ever done something like that, and why would you think that Giroux wouldn't want to sign long term?

McD I can see if he's REALLY trying to avoid the bridge contract, and wants to cash in immediately.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Sather is a Vindictive SOB. Anyone who offer sheets any of his RFA's will have HELL to pay when it comes time to sign their own RFA's and this just isn't me blowing smoke out my ass. I know someone who knew Glen Sather on a somewhat personal level and this person said that Slats is very much like this in real life as well.

It will happen. Sather WILL make sure that whoever crosses him will pay the piper and pay dearly they will.

I would be absolutely FLOORED if someone had the balls to cross him.
The issue that I see is that you actually have to have the salary cap room to make an offersheet. With the Rangers finally having some "home grown" talent coming up through their own system, they might lack the flexibility to do that.

I also think that all of the GM's are insanely competitive guys, and some just hide it better than others. I don't think you make it to the GM seat without being that comptetitive. That being said, there hasn't been a ton of "offersheet retaliations".

Old
03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Why would a team willing to offer an offer sheet to a young defenseman go after McD, when there is a better and arguably more vulnerable asset in OEL who is probably a bit more likely target with almost no chance of retribution anytime soon.
I don't see OEL as vulnerable. The Yotes have a ridiculous amount of cap space, and while the budget $'s might be tight, they have some expiring contract at the end of the year (Sullivan, Lombardi, Torres, Boyd) which free up $7.6M of salary budget. Now those roster spots would have to be replaced, but with reasonable rookie contract you're still looking at $6M or so of free cash.

NHL isn't going to to let the Yotes lose their best player and most valuable asset because of a short term salary budget issue.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Why would McDonagh want to sign an offer sheet? To show Marc Staal and Dan Girardi that they're fools for not asking for a boatload of money right now? So he can prove his worth as a defenseman in front of Ilya Bryzgalov instead of Henrik Lundqvist?

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Brian28

Quote:
I don't see OEL as vulnerable. The Yotes have a ridiculous amount of cap space, and while the budget $'s might be tight, they have some expiring contract at the end of the year (Sullivan, Lombardi, Torres, Boyd) which free up $7.6M of salary budget. Now those roster spots would have to be replaced, but with reasonable rookie contract you're still looking at $6M or so of free cash.

NHL isn't going to to let the Yotes lose their best player and most valuable asset because of a short term salary budget issue.
OEL also makes Phoenix a more attractive asset for a potential buyer than losing him for futures. If there's any real hope of obtaining a local buyer the team needs to be cost effective while oozing potential...which is what OEL brings to the D core.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:42 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
The issue that I see is that you actually have to have the salary cap room to make an offersheet. With the Rangers finally having some "home grown" talent coming up through their own system, they might lack the flexibility to do that.

I also think that all of the GM's are insanely competitive guys, and some just hide it better than others. I don't think you make it to the GM seat without being that comptetitive. That being said, there hasn't been a ton of "offersheet retaliations".
There haven't been a ton of offer-sheets handed out.

The Rangers would not lack the flexibility to offer sheet someone if they wanted to do that.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:51 AM
dethomas07

quick question guys... if a player is offer sheeted like ROR for instance.. if the player doesn't sign can he still negotiate with his club (Colorado) or does he have to sign the offer?

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
quick question guys... if a player is offer sheeted like ROR for instance.. if the player doesn't sign can he still negotiate with his club (Colorado) or does he have to sign the offer?
A player that signs an offer-sheet is bound to the terms of that offer.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Definition of retardation - arguments on this thread...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Definition of retardation - arguments on this thread...
*in this thread.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 446
Isn't McD going to be arbitration eligible?

If so, and the Rangers can not for some reason get him signed to a bridge or a contract where they buy up a year or so of his UFA status, once they take him to arbitration doesn't that take away any offer sheet?

Last edited by Off Sides: 03-08-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
He's not really worth that and if it didn't happen with Subban who is in the same tier as him, i don't see it happening to him.

That being said, yes, they would match. Next year we can make room rather easily, even if McD gets 6 Mil.
The difference is Montreal has/had the cap space to match that and New York does not.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote