HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk, KHL (2013, 10th overall, Dallas)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
What makes russians so different that it's a good place for anyone else but them?
Who knows? But a fact is a fact. The CHL is harmful for their development. This has been proven right too many times already. I'm just glad that Nichushkin did not make this mistate.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
wings5

Quote:
What makes russians so different that it's a good place for anyone else but them?
Let's not get into this argument again.....simply for this case KHL development > CHL.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Xoggz22

With new CBJ management I can see them using one of their 3 first round picks on this kid. I liked him in the WJC and could see he has a high level of skill and very solid on skate. Someone commented that he could look a little like Rick Nash with his skating and I would agree with that after watching him skate. I'm fine with him waiting a couple years to come over. Adding him and McKinnon would be amazing.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:30 PM
tenho995

Quote:
There has been so much arguing about this topic on these prospects threads that im not going to start explaining it in details..

well anyway in my opinion the biggest reason is the huge change in everything when a russian young talent moves to NA at the most critical hockey players age 15-20 (language, training, style of NA game, whole new environment). The player needs to focus on all these new factors and that interrupts hes developement, while he should focus 100% just on him self.

NA can wait, and the draft number isnt that important to risk whole career. no need to rush. When player reaches 20 its alot better to go then, when hes completely ready. Just look at Tarasenko.

But you should seek for more answers in other russian prospects threads

Old
02-27-2013, 10:34 AM
mikko1995

How has he been doing as of late? I really like him as a player and think he has a bright future ahead of him.

By the way, hearing his name pronounced "Nick-oosh-kin" in North America; shouldn't it be pronounced something like "Nitsh-ush-kin" instead? I just remember something from Cyrillic alphabets that decides that but I can't remember which way it goes.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikko1995 View Post
How has he been doing as of late? I really like him as a player and think he has a bright future ahead of him.

By the way, hearing his name pronounced "Nick-oosh-kin" in North America; shouldn't it be pronounced something like "Nitsh-ush-kin" instead? I just remember something from Cyrillic alphabets that decides that but I can't remember which way it goes.
Nee-choosh-kin.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Hockeysemin

Old
03-08-2013, 07:24 AM
umwoz

What would fans of him say about comparisons of him to Filip Forsberg, Gabriel Landeskog?

It seems like he thrives on playing that "drive to the net" game, and not the finesse game we so frequently see from Russian/European players(no offense).

Being a Canadian, I literally get no exposure to KHL games, so all I got to see was his WJHC play which was damn impressive.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
jlawrence

How far do people see him dropping on draft day? Is there the "russian factor" with him?

Old
03-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
What would fans of him say about comparisons of him to Filip Forsberg, Gabriel Landeskog?

It seems like he thrives on playing that "drive to the net" game, and not the finesse game we so frequently see from Russian/European players(no offense).

Being a Canadian, I literally get no exposure to KHL games, so all I got to see was his WJHC play which was damn impressive.
I can't say how he compares to those two, but from watching him I can say that he knows his size and speed advantage and is really good at using it against pros.

Having said that, he still has very decent hands and a powerful shot that has aim and purpose. He's scored from the point a couple of times and has hands good enough to beat defenders 1v1 at times. But most of his goals come from his size and speed. It's nice to see that it's worked to that extent at a pro level.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence View Post
Is there the "russian factor" with him?
He's Russian.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
How far do people see him dropping on draft day? Is there the "russian factor" with him?
I read an article reflecting that some scouts are saying to look past the "russian factor" for Nichushkin. Something among the lines of, if you watch him - you forget about the factor.

But who knows, hopefully he'll follow Kuznetsov and stay in KHL for a while.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
jlawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
He's Russian.
Of course he is, I meant in terms of staying in Russia for an extended period of time(ie. kuznetsov)

Old
03-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Of course he is, I meant in terms of staying in Russia for an extended period of time(ie. kuznetsov)
He is signed with Traktor until the end of April 2015. Assuming his development goes as expected, it would be surprising to see him remain in the KHL beyond that.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:25 AM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
He is signed with Traktor until the end of April 2015. Assuming his development goes as expected, it would be surprising to see him remain in the KHL beyond that.
Looking at Kuznetsov as an example, he not only stayed his contract but extended. I don't think many would disagree with me saying his development has been stellar.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Fulcrum

He has to realize that he did the right thing by staying in KHL this year, now that he is on the first team in PO, made the WJC and so on.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:26 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
He's staying for at least two more years after this one.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Looking at Kuznetsov as an example, he not only stayed his contract but extended. I don't think many would disagree with me saying his development has been stellar.
And Tarasenko came over. Kuznetsov will almost certainly be over in 2014. Won't speculate on the exact reasons that Kuznetsov decided to remain in Russia, but whatever they are they likely won't be there for Nichushkin. As every Russian NHL player will tell him, the KHL money will still be there...

It would be very surprising to me if Nichushkin was still in the KHL beyond 2015.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
And Tarasenko came over. Kuznetsov will almost certainly be over in 2014. Won't speculate on the exact reasons that Kuznetsov decided to remain in Russia, but whatever they are they likely won't be there for Nichushkin. As every Russian NHL player will tell him, the KHL money will still be there...

It would be very surprising to me if Nichushkin was still in the KHL beyond 2015.
I would be surprised too but new generation of kids man, we've already seen a few surprises.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:11 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:

I was only one at this board who claimed that Kuznetsov resigned with Traktor. He resigned. Now I say Nichushkin will stay in KHL until 2015 and I would not be suprised if he resigned for next 2 seasons.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:16 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I would be surprised too but new generation of kids man, we've already seen a few surprises.
look at russian 1995ers who are in CHL now. All of them are from moscow clubs (counting Goldobin as well). Traktor is another club, another organisation. The club which gives chance its pupils.

Nichuskin can move only if he pays money to Traktor, what he will not do. Traktor is not CSKA to release him (Kucherov case).

I think that kids from moscow clubs think that they are superstars at 16, therefore they give up and move to CHL. Kids from Ural, Sibir are another type of players, another mentality.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
look at russian 1995ers who are in CHL now. All of them are from moscow clubs (counting Goldobin as well). Traktor is another club, another organisation. The club which gives chance its pupils.

Nichuskin can move only if he pays money to Traktor, what he will not do. Traktor is not CSKA to release him (Kucherov case).

I think that kids from moscow clubs think that they are superstars at 16, therefore they give up and move to CHL. Kids from Ural, Sibir are another type of players, another mentality.
You're right. You have to look at the specific club too. CSKA is a farm with open gates and they don't keep or take care of their prospects. Traktor is a whole different story lately.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
You're right. You have to look at the specific club too. CSKA is a farm with open gates and they don't keep or take care of their prospects. Traktor is a whole different story lately.
Maybe it is too early to claim, but CSKA created its affiliate this season in Tver (VHL). That is good step for dveloping system of club. Lack of VHL yeam was one of reasons why exodus from CSKA in previous seasons. Not every player can play KHL at 17, MHL is not good enough for them (acc. to Zadorov etc, I dont agree with them) and CSKA did not have farm team where these kids could develop.

Naumenkov 93, injured, played in VHL this season, still MHL eligible
Ogurtsov, Lisov 94, just one game in VHL, both drafted by CSKA
Gusev, Lyubimov, Barbashev 92 and Prokhorkin 93 played VHL, now KHL

Timiryov, Shiksatdarov 94 and Fefelov 93 played a few VHL games

Next season only two 21y old (1992) can play. VHL club has to have on roster at least 5 guys under 23, another minimum of 5 guys under 25, plus two under 20. So CSKA will have to move its prospects to KHL or VHL.

Zadorov, Zykov, Tolchintsky - at least one of them would play VHL this season. I am sure about it.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:02 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
As every Russian NHL player will tell him, the KHL money will still be there...
Yes but if Kuznetsov is comfortable why leave. He has a young wife and family there, a good franchise to play for, and the gap between KHL and NHL gets smaller each year. Also, the hockey suits his style better. I couldn't imagine him being happy with a guy like Hendricks being put on his wing like OV doing the dump and chase thing... Traktors top 6 rivals many NHL teams top 6 IMO so it may actually be a step down to what he is used to (obviously besides OV, Backy, Ribero, after that there is a cliff drop in talent). Basically, things are great for Kuznetsov so why change them?

And Washington hasn't been a great incubator for Russian guys in recent times, drove Semin out, Varly was gone (he is far better than any guy they have now), Orlov got jacked around last year by coach. Now things aren't looking so well for Galiev, Kugryshev was wrecked. There AHL program is absolutely abysmal for Euros...
Also there was Gustafsson. Kuznetsov was also upset he didn't even get an invite to the camp this year... Does this sound like a great organization for a guy like Kuznetsov to come to... Absolutely not.

So there are many reasons why a guy might not want to come to a certain organization right away regardless of money. These guys know they will get money wherever they go.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Karmacoma

Kuzya just doesn't want to play in washington!!

Closed Thread