HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
03-08-2013, 06:29 AM
God
Free Citizen

vCash: 500
No day is sadder than this day. I broke my X:60. My favourite stick ever. I've been using it almost every week since July. rest in peace.

Now I have to use my S19, which I'm not overly comfortable with. Stickhandling was definitely better with the X:60 and the puck feel is a bit different. I wonder if the difference in lie (5.5 for the S19, 6 for the X:60) has anything to do with it. Anyone have any comments? The sticks are virtually the same length but the S19 is about an inch longer (I don't cut my sticks because I'm 6'1 and the lengths are usually perfect). Should I just get used to it?

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:24 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
No day is sadder than this day. I broke my X:60. My favourite stick ever. I've been using it almost every week since July. rest in peace.

Now I have to use my S19, which I'm not overly comfortable with. Stickhandling was definitely better with the X:60 and the puck feel is a bit different. I wonder if the difference in lie (5.5 for the S19, 6 for the X:60) has anything to do with it. Anyone have any comments? The sticks are virtually the same length but the S19 is about an inch longer (I don't cut my sticks because I'm 6'1 and the lengths are usually perfect). Should I just get used to it?
I bought one60's on sale before I returned them for a two-piece instead. I'm also 6 feet and usually don't have to cut my sticks.

I took them home to handle, and didn't like the feel for a few reasons. In particular I didn't like the 6 lie, felt like it was bunching up my elbow too much and didn't feel good on my overall posture whilst handling. Seeing as these are both bauer sticks I thought I'd share that with you.

Apparently my new blade is a 6 lie but it feels closer to a 5 lie when I hold it, and I definitely like it way more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
How long do hockey sticks last you guys? And I'm not talking about how long before it breaks in the conventional way, but how long till it loses its flex?

I've had my Sherwood T90 for I think about two years now and I can't go top shelf anymore. Although it's never been that easy for me with this stick (odd) it seems like it's a lot worse now. I almost think it might be the blade torquing out on me. I've heard guys talk about this before, but is a true phenomenon?... and can someone further explain the physics behind this? I don't want to buy a new stick if it's not the stick, but something is off. It could be me too though, haha.
I'd like to know the details of this as well. As far as I know the shafts can become whippy but that's more often because you've pushed it to it's absolute limit (EG lots of snappers, slappers, etc.)

I think the blades lose their structural integrity way more easily, and way more often.

Last edited by PlayBall: 03-08-2013 at 08:30 AM.
PlayBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:38 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbane sens fan View Post
Disclaimer: on my phone so i apologise for spelling and formaT

I am just starting out (as a 29 year old) but have played other sports and reasonable levels. Anyways my question relates to equipment in particular but specifically sticks. I have just started skating lessons and seem to be going pretty well (progressing faster than anyone else) but still am ordinary. Accordingly I thought I would get a pair of skates to start with, only problem is being in Australia they are sooo much cheaper overseas. Easton eq20's are 200 here, 80 bucks plus shipping online. This sort of difference in price is consistent with pretty much every piece of equipment as far as I am aware of. Therefore it makes much more sense for me to lump everything into one big parcel to save on postage. With that being said, how the hell do I know what stick I should get?

In the equipment thread Jarik mentioned a various number of sticks for beginners. I have found all of them online at prices I am prepared to pay but what flex, lie etc. Would be a good starting point? I am a touch of 6 foot and have strong arms but I think my wrist strength is actually pretty poor (never played any wristy sports). My plan is to get a CCM crossover wood senior stick, right/Thornton and also a CCM RBZ60 sr right/85/tavares. I can get these for a 140.

Considering the situation what do you think of my plan?
I hope someone helps you, though from the sounds of it try for a 75, 80 flex at most. You can even get away with 85 but I'm of the philosophy that you should start off at a flex that will do the work for you and from there you can get a stiffer flex if you decide it torques too much on your wristers/slaps.

I liked the RBZ in the limited time I got to shoot it, I liked it alot actually, and I have a feeling the RBZ60 will be good. Wood sticks get water-logged and wear out easy, so if I had to I'd suggest getting a 75, and an 85 flex stick. The price difference will be neglible when the wood stick breaks/loses it's pop on you and you're ordering sticks again.

EDIT: May I suggest reconsidering your Tavares curve? (I hope the others weigh in on this, everyone's opinion will vary) According to hockeymonkey it is a 6 lie and that might not be enjoyable for you. Youtube stick lies if you need help understanding them. The Lecavalier looked similar and is a 5.5 lie, I liked the Couturier but not everyone likes a shallow blade. Hossa looks very similar to Tavares and is a 5 lie, anyone know how similar the Hossa is to the Tavares for our friend here?

Cheers.

Last edited by PlayBall: 03-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old
03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Clarkson View Post
Anyone use a P106 and have advice for keeping slappers low? I love everything else about the curve. Good puck control, can keep hard wrist shots low, great saucer passes...but I'm blasting head hunters when it comes to slapshots. Even when I'm just taking shots on my own, and focusing on keeping them low, a "low" shot is roughly 2-2.5 feet high.

When I'm mid-game and don't have the time to focus on keeping it low, I'm ripping head hunters all over the place.
Where do you connect with the puck on the blade of the stick? More towards the toe? Maybe try closer to the heel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Is there anything that can be done to keep a square toe in good shape? My tape job is pretty solid, a stretch of tape that goes heel to midway up the toe, and taped all the way toe to heel, cutting off the excess on the toe, so I'm not sure of what else to do to protect it more. If there's no way to prevent the toe from getting crushed so badly, what would be the closest relative to the Getzlaf curve (any brand) only with a rounded toe? Thanks, guys.
I've heard of folks using epoxy on the toe with mixed results. Is it getting chipped up on the bottom only or both top and bottom? Drury isn't far off from the Lidstrom, a bit lower lie though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
How long do hockey sticks last you guys? And I'm not talking about how long before it breaks in the conventional way, but how long till it loses its flex?

I've had my Sherwood T90 for I think about two years now and I can't go top shelf anymore. Although it's never been that easy for me with this stick (odd) it seems like it's a lot worse now. I almost think it might be the blade torquing out on me. I've heard guys talk about this before, but is a true phenomenon?... and can someone further explain the physics behind this? I don't want to buy a new stick if it's not the stick, but something is off. It could be me too though, haha.
Usually about a year for me if I love them and use them a lot. Most of the time I get bored with them and get rid of them earlier.

If you take lots of slap shots and dig into the ice a lot, a lot of times the shaft will break a couple feet up from the blade. Sometimes this happens within a few weeks or a few months. These are the guys that break tons of sticks.

Otherwise, the blade can go soft. Test it by grabbing the toe of the blade and trying to bend or twist it with your bare hands. Shouldn't move hardly at all. It used to be the blades would soften after a couple months, but sticks have improved and should last at least six months to a year with your average rec leaguer.

If the blade stays relatively stiff and there's no chips or cracks anywhere, that's a good stick IMO.

Quote:

I remember when I broke my X:60 Best stick ever.

Definitely cut the S19 to the same length. 1" makes a big difference (that's what she said...)

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
AIREAYE

Ignore the lie numbers. They're inconsistent from company to company and are insufficient in trying to determine what's best for an individual.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:04 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
I bought one60's on sale before I returned them for a two-piece instead. I'm also 6 feet and usually don't have to cut my sticks.

I took them home to handle, and didn't like the feel for a few reasons. In particular I didn't like the 6 lie, felt like it was bunching up my elbow too much and didn't feel good on my overall posture whilst handling. Seeing as these are both bauer sticks I thought I'd share that with you.

Apparently my new blade is a 6 lie but it feels closer to a 5 lie when I hold it, and I definitely like it way more.
I guess I kinda got used to the 6 lie, I get that elbow thing you're talking about but I'm comfortable with it. Was thinking of picking up a one60 if they're still available at the sport mart clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I remember when I broke my X:60 Best stick ever.

Definitely cut the S19 to the same length. 1" makes a big difference (that's what she said...)
Yeah, it was my first composite and it just felt right. The release was amazing. Has anybody here tried the Vapor APX? How does it compare? I guess I'm just waiting for a deal, but they never seem to be on sale. The X:60 itself wasn't even that heavily discounted ($160), but my S19 was ($120).

Old
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
@Jarick:

The toe's absolutely destroyed on the bottom, and is working it's way up. After steady use this winter, it's probably an inch and a half from the top.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:07 PM
esidebill

Quote:
I guess I kinda got used to the 6 lie, I get that elbow thing you're talking about but I'm comfortable with it. Was thinking of picking up a one60 if they're still available at the sport mart clearance.

Yeah, it was my first composite and it just felt right. The release was amazing. Has anybody here tried the Vapor APX? How does it compare? I guess I'm just waiting for a deal, but they never seem to be on sale. The X:60 itself wasn't even that heavily discounted ($160), but my S19 was ($120).

I use the APX. Very light stick. Good feeling on the shot.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:10 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
I didn't like the one60. Felt OK at first but eventually didn't like the lie, weight, and balance once I put the wood end in. I didn't think the flex would suit me either but that's not the sticks fault. I took it home to handle and get a feel of after a recommendation, so I didn't shoot it, but if you can afford to stick (no pun intended) with whatever you have now and buy something better on clearance later, I would recommend that route, for what it's worth.

You should definitely be able to find it for 80-90 now in Canada, if you're US even cheaper.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:12 AM
God
Free Citizen

Cut the S19 about an inch, it made a world of difference. Went to stick and puck tonight and was getting way more strength on the shots. Thanks Jarick.

Quote:
I didn't like the one60. Felt OK at first but eventually didn't like the lie, weight, and balance once I put the wood end in. I didn't think the flex would suit me either but that's not the sticks fault. I took it home to handle and get a feel of after a recommendation, so I didn't shoot it, but if you can afford to stick (no pun intended) with whatever you have now and buy something better on clearance later, I would recommend that route, for what it's worth.

You should definitely be able to find it for 80-90 now in Canada, if you're US even cheaper.
I mostly just wait for clearances anyway. Sportchek is usually pretty good with clearing out old models.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
@Jarick:

The toe's absolutely destroyed on the bottom, and is working it's way up. After steady use this winter, it's probably an inch and a half from the top.
Do you use a pretty short stick? If you were to guess, would it be from shooting, faceoffs, play along the boards, or something else?

Old
03-09-2013, 12:50 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
I mostly just wait for clearances anyway. Sportchek is usually pretty good with clearing out old models.
Yeah they're clearing out now if I had to guess with kids hockey seasons ending.

I forgot to mention yesterday. I took wristers (well, more like snappers) on the shooting facility they had with the one60. I was the only one around and the kid on break was bored and let me shoot alot. I was using a Kane curve and they actually came off the stick nicely for a stick that's not even 100 now.

Good luck.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:33 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
Quote:
Do you use a pretty short stick? If you were to guess, would it be from shooting, faceoffs, play along the boards, or something else?
I just use whatever the stock length of it was. I usually shoot from either mid or heel, and don't take faceoffs, so I'd be surprised if that was it. It could be from toe dragging and board play.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Yeah they're clearing out now if I had to guess with kids hockey seasons ending.

I forgot to mention yesterday. I took wristers (well, more like snappers) on the shooting facility they had with the one60. I was the only one around and the kid on break was bored and let me shoot alot. I was using a Kane curve and they actually came off the stick nicely for a stick that's not even 100 now.

Good luck.
Not really. It depends on where you go. Sales will always happen, but true clearances are not advertised and thus depends on stock and markdown reports.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:57 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
My beloved custom Bauer Total-One is just about pooched.

I like big toe curves with a slight heel curve (kinda like a golf club in a way) and 87-92 flex.

I take a lot of wrist shots, the odd clapper and like to be able to roof it in tight.

Any suggestions on sticks and/or curves?

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bauer Total One with the Ovechkin curve. It's pretty much the only curve on the market that has a moderate open twist at the heel and a toe kink. Obviously comes in 87 flex!

Old
03-11-2013, 09:51 AM
esidebill

Any Backstrom/Toews clones are nice for wristers and mild slap shots. The Ovechkin is hilariously hard to control shots with in my opinion lol

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
I just use whatever the stock length of it was. I usually shoot from either mid or heel, and don't take faceoffs, so I'd be surprised if that was it. It could be from toe dragging and board play.
That's a hard one. Maybe the stick is just old? I noticed last night a lot of guys with square toes had very chewed up blades. Never saw that much before.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:38 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
That's a hard one. Maybe the stick is just old? I noticed last night a lot of guys with square toes had very chewed up blades. Never saw that much before.
That would make alot of sense since the point of impact on a corner is alot worse than when it's distributed along a rounded blade. Think along the same lines of an elbow being the most effective single-striking option in fighting, it's a small hard point to strike with.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

So I need a stick suggestion. I have been using higher end models for a couple years now and I have $225 in gift cards so any price is good.

My main stick I was using was a Bauer Nexus 1000, P88, 77 flex. The blade cracked in half on one timer attempt last night so it had to be put down.

I'm looking for either a low or variable kick point. I liked the Nexus enough but I felt like it did not have a ton of pop. It did have a nice soft feel however.

The sticks I am considering are the CCM RBZ, Mako 2 (concerned about durability) and the APX. All in all I've had good luck with Bauer sticks, but was thinking of trying something new with the CCM. I've heard the face is really hot, but it can almost be considered too hot and that it is a little heavy for a top end stick. I've had an x60 before and it was a good stick but I did not like the curve so I sold it. So what direction do you guys think I should go?

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
So I need a stick suggestion. I have been using higher end models for a couple years now and I have $225 in gift cards so any price is good.
Do you have any nearby stores that will let you try the stick?

I loved shooting with the CCM RBZ when I tried it, and it might be what you're looking for from the sound of it. A very unique stick. I've seen a couple comments on Mako's durability.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd go APX as the X:60 had more pop than anything I've ever used. Plus lightweight plus durable and the APX has a better blade. Haven't used the CCM though.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:57 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd go APX as the X:60 had more pop than anything I've ever used. Plus lightweight plus durable and the APX has a better blade. Haven't used the CCM though.
Yeah the more research I do the more I am leaning towards the APX. The RBZ kind of has the wow factor, but the APX is tried and true.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
OpenIceHit42

Anyone have advice or review on the Sherwood T100?

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I dunno about the T100 but I saw the T90 slim undercover and it looked awesome except for the fact that it's about 1/4" thick. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?