HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part 1 **

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 10:23 AM
the_fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

Hey there's an idea, get Kurt Russell as coach.
I still rather have Al Pacino coaching the Avs so he can do his famous "HOOOAH" after Avs score a goal

Seriously though, i think Al Pacino would of made a great coach, all he had to do is study everything about hockey and NHL.

That speech he gave at the end of Scent of a Woman, he could do that in Avs locker room before every game, imagine how the team would come out and play.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
In one of my guest lectures today the guest told that most companies and organizations should hire from within and that many companies are idiots for going outside for new employees when you could promote people you know and people who know the system.
Can you guess the first thing that popped into my head?

Oh yeah, and Sacco needs to go.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
the_fan

I don't understand this whole don't hire coaches outside of organization thing. I think that's misleading since Sacco had no connection with the Avs what so ever when they hired him to be the LEM coach.

I would understand if Sacco was a former Avs player, or had some sort of a office position with the organization. He is basically outside of organization. He was brought from outside of organization to coach the LEM.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
I don't understand this whole don't hire coaches outside of organization thing. I think that's misleading since Sacco had no connection with the Avs what so ever when they hired him to be the LEM coach.

I would understand if Sacco was a former Avs player, or had some sort of a office position with the organization. He is basically outside of organization. He was brought from outside of organization to coach the LEM.
Well then every single coaching hire has been outside the organization since every single coach at some point was outside the organization.

Are you kidding me!?!?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Well then every single coaching hire has been outside the organization since every single coach at some point was outside the organization.

Are you kidding me!?!?
Pretty much every team hires coaches from outside organization, Avs just have this weird thing going on with their within philosophy.

It's all about whats best for the team, not who has been with the organization or who hasn't.

Bylsma had no connection with the Pens organization when he was hired and won the cup.

Q had not connection with the Hawks

Sutter no connection with the Kings

i can go on and on.

Edit: Avs just make it sound like all the coaches they hire have been with the organization since they were babies. That's my point, within would mean Sacco was drafted by the Avs, he played for the Avs then he became the Avs coach.

Technically yes, Sacco was brought in from the outside.

Last edited by the_fan: 03-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Pretty much every team hires coaches from outside organization, Avs just have this weird thing going on with their within philosophy.

It's all about whats best for the team, not who has been with the organization or who hasn't.

Bylsma had no connection with the Pens organization when he was hired and won the cup.

Q had not connection with the Hawks

Sutter no connection with the Kings

i can go on and on.
I still don't get your point about Sacco though. Yes, he still counts as an in-hire.

For the record, Sutter most certainly had a connection with the Kings--Lombardi was Sutter's GM when both were in San Jose.

But yes, when hiring staff, you look for the best people available, not just the best people within your organization. Lacroix has always had a thing about loyalty/nepotism--it's what led him to foolishly waste draft picks on Wade Belak and Philippe Sauve, among other silly moves. Dater once commented that Lacroix views the organization as a family, and treats it as such. But the reality is that a pro sports organization is a business, and you need the best people you can find.

This is one of many reasons why I think Lacroix needs to retire at season's end, if not sooner, and take his cronies with him. Hopefully Rick Pracey isn't one of them.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

Everyone is outside the organization at some point. You aren't born a member of the Avs organization. The idea is they start out in a smaller position with the organization, and work their way up.

They don't usually hire head coaches that aren't already in the organization, or haven't been in the past like Q.

Also, he didn't really have no connection at all with the Avs. He played two years with Billington at the end of their careers in Washington, and he's the one that called him to promote him from Lake Erie to the Avs.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:51 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post

But yes, when hiring staff, you look for the best people available, not just the best people within your organization. Lacroix has always had a thing about loyalty/nepotism--it's what led him to foolishly waste draft picks on Wade Belak and Philippe Sauve, among other silly moves. Dater once commented that Lacroix views the organization as a family, and treats it as such. But the reality is that a pro sports organization is a business, and you need the best people you can find.

This is one of many reasons why I think Lacroix needs to retire at season's end, if not sooner, and take his cronies with him. Hopefully Rick Pracey isn't one of them.
This is almost a mirror image of what Al Davis viewed the Raiders organization to be. Finding "family" to fill minor positions and roles throughout the organization was great for the team, legacy, and fan attachment, however, once he started filling vital positions that way (primarily Head Coach) things turned south.
Seeing Deadmarsh be a video coach, or Yelle being involved with player development is great, but at some point there is no one in the "family" that fits the need, and you have to go outside and bring someone in.
That time is now, as this team is ready to take the next step, and it needs a proven coach to lead them forward.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Foppa2118

The in house strategy for NHL coaches is just retarded, especially if you consistently rely on this without going outside.

Look at the best coaches with their teams right now. Boudreau wasn't in house with Anaheim. Neither was Claude Julien. Quenneville was only in house for a month or so and it was obvious he was brought in to replace Sutter. Babcock wasn't in house for Detroit. Neither was Dineen for Florida, Darryl Sutter for LA, DeBoer with the Devils, Tortorella with the Rangers, Laviolette with Philly, Tippett with Phoenix, or Hitchcock with the Blues.

Solely relying on in house candidates for head coaches is like relying solely on the draft to build your team. You need to make some trades, and sign some big UFA's to really build a winner, and you usually have to go outside the organization to get the best coaches.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:58 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

At this point I don't care who gets promoted to coach, Sacco has to go. PL's hot blonde secretary could do a better job. At very worst she could still be pleasing to the eye.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
The in house strategy for NHL coaches is just retarded, especially if you consistently rely on this without going outside.

Look at the best coaches with their teams right now. Boudreau wasn't in house with Anaheim. Neither was Claude Julien. Quenneville was only in house for a month or so and it was obvious he was brought in to replace Sutter. Babcock wasn't in house for Detroit. Neither was Dineen for Florida, Darryl Sutter for LA, DeBoer with the Devils, Tortorella with the Rangers, Laviolette with Philly, Tippett with Phoenix, or Hitchcock with the Blues.

Solely relying on in house candidates for head coaches is like relying solely on the draft to build your team. You need to make some trades, and sign some big UFA's to really build a winner, and you usually have to go outside the organization to get the best coaches.
I agree, but it's more like counting only waivers to build your team.

03-08-2013, 03:02 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
This is what I'm afraid of. That we will eventually hire "anyone" who is better than Sacco, and then we are stuck with that guy for 3-4 years.

I know I'm in a minority here, but hold on to Sacco and wait for the right name to become available. (Laviolette, hopefully)
Forget I said this.

I want him gone.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

I am very close to making a "Fire Sacco" sign and taking it to the Avs/Wild game I'm going to next week.

What a ******* loser.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:13 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
I am very close to making a "Fire Sacco" sign and taking it to the Avs/Wild game I'm going to next week.

What a ******* loser.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

What a ******* loser.
Can you make like 10-20 and hand them out to everyone near the glass surrounding the rink? I'm sure you can find someone around there willing to help the cause.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Can you make like 10-20 and hand them out to everyone near the glass surrounding the rink? I'm sure you can find someone around there willing to help the cause.
I'm actually going to the game in Minny, but I'm sure I could find people that support the cause!

Old
03-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:

What a ******* loser.
If I lived in Denver, I would be taking a huge banner with me tonight, long enough to go from one section of seats to another, and I would get everyone in that row to hold it up during the game.

Absolutely insane. I was never a fan of Sacco, but before this stunt he pulled tonight I didn't put a whole lot of blame on him for our losses or ****** play.

After this stunt today however, I want us to lose every single game until Sacco is gone. I don't care if it means going 0-82 next year. This clown has to go.(I would rather an actual clown be our coach then Sacco)

Old
03-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Forget I said this.

I want him gone.
Me too. And I agree on Laviolette too although it seems like a pipe dream.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:39 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:

What a ******* loser.
Make 14,000 please. Im sure everyone in there is thinking the same thing

Old
03-08-2013, 07:44 PM
PierresLongStick*

It's difficult to even waste energy on bashing this guy anymore.

Johnson back in tonight so logically he scratches Barrie, a young kid gaining loads of confidence playing tough minutes. Un-****ing believable.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Avalanche
@imlouied

I might lose it if Sacco joins the team back out there for the 2nd period

Old
03-08-2013, 08:32 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Yeah, I've been trying to stay off of this wagon, but with the inexplicable scratching of Barrie over Hunwick/ROB, the overall record against Divisional opponents, our 30th place PP (for this year) and his constant using of 5 forwards on the PP, I'll say that I'm firmly in the camp of "Fire Sacco" now.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
03-08-2013, 08:36 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Yeah, I've been trying to stay off of this wagon, but with the inexplicable scratching of Barrie over Hunwick/ROB, the overall record against Divisional opponents, our 30th place PP (for this year) and his constant using of 5 forwards on the PP, I'll say that I'm firmly in the camp of "Fire Sacco" now.
I think Sacco knows his job is on the line hence the desperation moves. I think he's going by the end of March if not sooner.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:53 PM
PeterForsberg

This man needs to leave. NOW.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierresLongStick View Post
It's difficult to even waste energy on bashing this guy anymore.

Johnson back in tonight so logically he scratches Barrie, a young kid gaining loads of confidence playing tough minutes. Un-****ing believable.
LOL If I was a reporter, I would ask Joe Sacco this:

"Are you purposefully trying to lose OR are you completely OBLIVIOUS to everything that is going on with your hockey club and essentially, a retard"??

Because there really ISN'T any other real explanation. It's one or the other.

Tyson Barrie has played extremely well at times and has been just 'ok' at times but he's been NO WORSE that our 3rd or 4th best d-man out there on a nightly basis and in NO WAY deserves to be taken out of he lineup.

Closed Thread