HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It May Be Time To Re-Visit Kessel at Center

View Poll Results: Kessel to Center?
Yes, try him at C. 4 8.33%
No leave him on the wing, realign the top 9 another way. 26 54.17%
Trade him. 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-08-2013, 05:44 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Dreakmur, Kessel would have to strap on the pads and get 10 straight shutouts before you gave him any credit for being good defensively.

I'm not saying he's a Selke candidate, but he's pulling his weight defensively. I've seen him as the third man back more times in the last 6 weeks than I have in the previous 3 seasons collectively.

It's a moot point anyways because he will not be put back at centre, and thus won't needed to be counted on as heavily for his defence. I do believe he is more than capable, however, based on his recent work, to shoulder the responsibilities of a centreman.
Have you even watched Kessel play this year? Do yourself a favour and count how many times he's turned the puck over because he wants to avoid body contact. It's sickening to watch.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:49 AM
Rielly4

Kessels not the best puck carrier, not great at one on one play but hes got terrific speed shot and playmaking skills. He needs someone else on the line to carry the load of puck carrying... Maybe kadri, maybe we trade for a center...

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:52 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Have you even watched Kessel play this year? Do yourself a favour and count how many times he's turned the puck over because he wants to avoid body contact. It's sickening to watch.
This.

Just because he's better than absolutely terrible defensively (which is what we were used to a few seasons ago), doesnt mean he's good or even average.

He backchecks more often then in the past, but regularly regularly turns away from the play, especially along the boards, to avoid body contact. When he's chasing the guy with the puck, one of his big moves is to stop skating, glide, and reach half heartedly with his stick, instead of using his speed to get right up in there and strip the puck.

The frustrating part about Kessel is that he has the tools to be good defensively IF he wanted to be. I dont expect him to be a hard hitting guy, but willingness to take a hit, and a bit more hustle would go a LONG way. Having high end speed and good hockey IQ are what Datsyuk uses to win Selkes.

Thats what frustrates people the most about Kessel. Nobody expects him to be a big hitter. But he lacks heart/desire. He doesnt REALLY want to win, not the same way other guys are who will go into the tough areas. And its not like he's super tiny, he's the same size as a guy like M. Richards for example, and we all know the style of play he employs.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:03 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Agreed. The idea of Kessel playing center is ridiculous. As a center, you have to be the most defensively responsible forward on the ice. Try to think of Kessel in such a role.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:19 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Why not.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:50 AM
TheSilencer

You want the softest player in the league, who also happens to be average/below-average defensively to be our center? The man will do ANYTHING to avoid contact and corner plays. His style is much more suited for a winger in my opinion.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Morlesio14*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Why not move Grabovski with Kessel and JVR and put Bozak on the checking line? It might work better for Phil and Grabovski but also keep Bozak producing on another with some one he's had chemistry before (Kulemin) while also putting him with a great centre in McClement or even with Komarov.
Grabo is a puck hog

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:13 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
You want the softest player in the league, who also happens to be average/below-average defensively to be our center? The man will do ANYTHING to avoid contact and corner plays. His style is much more suited for a winger in my opinion.
His "style" is much more suited for a beauty pageant. Except he's too fat.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:35 AM
buntek

It would be embarrassing.

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:45 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Why not.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you were the lone vote to try him a center.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:57 AM
AINEC
not sure if serious

Get Kessel a Center?

A: Yes, get him a C.

AINEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Leafy Undergrowth

Quote:
"...so we should trade him, and I'm sure we'll get a GREAT return!"

-hf boards

Leafy Undergrowth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Lol, true.

It's honestly beyond me how you can be a professional hockey player and be as soft as a pillow.
His endless turnovers, terrible defensive efforts, and unwillingness to get hit have honestly made me sick of him this year. Last year was the same thing, but we let it slide because he was a top offensive guy in the league

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Hurt

He hasn't played Center in how many years? He isn't defensively responsible, he's not strong on the puck as in he can push others off it. He avoids corners mostly and only goes in there to attempt to cycle it. Terrible idea to move him to Center because it would leave a large chunk of the middle of the ice open.

03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
ACC1224

Terrible idea.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:02 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

here is a idea
move kadri to the wing
not

mikebel111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:31 AM
MakeTheIronSing

As much as I like Kessel, and I do think he is playing a more all around game, its not to the level a center would be on a line where he would be expected to play (the 1st)

His takeaway numbers, giveaway numbers, blocked shots and hits are lower middle to bottom 3rd in all categories listed

Not a very great idea IMO, but I guess he would need to get a fair shake at it before any full on conclusions could be made, I never thought Cammalleri would be a good center, but he is adequate when called upon

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Leaf_Crazy

It's not a completely horrible idea..

Kessel is a strong defnsive player when back checking, but when hes on the boards trying to get the puck out hes horrible because he thinks hes going to get hit every time and bails on the play.

I would love to see JVR and Lupul on the same line. Both have great chemistry with Kessel and both are big bodies..

Lupul - JVR - Kessel
or
Lupul - Kessel - JVR

Leaf_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:08 AM
showtime8

Kessel doesn't have the attention to detail that is required out of a centreman. When he comes back into the defensive zone or is in the offensive zone, he is often wandering around and doesn't stop to compete at a big level.

He is more comfortable on the wing, IMO. JVR playing at centre could be a bit more realistic if Bozak is traded and Lupul comes back.

showtime8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:11 AM
WWB

Kessel should stay on the wing as he just doesn't have the defensive game to be a center. If the Leafs can sign Perry in the off season, then they should trade Kessel.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

A center position requires more defensive responsibilities than a winger that is one of the main reasons for Kessel position on the wing.

Also a center must collapse all the way back into his own zone and that would eliminate all of Kessel's busts down the wing taking long breakout passes.

Face-off ability would be another reason this is not a good idea, by losing possession regularly.

03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
DaveT83*

Best move for Phil Kessel right now is on a line with Komi + Stekel + Liles - in press box

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:27 AM
leafsfuture

I agree with the poster's who say Phil's defensive defficiencies arent due to a lack of effort, but rather just horrible skills clearing the puck along the boards.

I think Phil at centre would be worth a try because he doesnt seem to have had much success blowing by people along the wing, and most of his success comes when he is a threat to distribute the puck

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote