HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Part 2) Game #25|Mar. 7, 2013|Penguins at Flyers|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Time to admit that this team sucks.
I came to terms with it last week.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I hate giving up on a team, but Jesus. This is so demoralizing to watch as a fan, it's almost... how can you not give up?

03-08-2013, 10:37 AM
DeflatedFootball7

One thing that makes me feel a bit better, is that this team still has a great young core. I think we could possibly pull another 07-08 after this season, especially with players like Laughton, Cousins, and our first rounder joining the team. Chin up guys.

Sounds like I missed another crazy game last night.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...7#.UToIkVfN0v5

Quote:
"We're not good enough to win with any consistency, especially not against the real contending teams.

Meltzer hit the nail on the head.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:06 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
@AnthonySan37: Homer on The rest of Harry Z's suspension: "when and whether he is recalled will be dictated by the 23-man roster at that time." #flyers
Some speculating a trade on the way.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Some speculating a trade on the way.
Could just be Mez is ready to play tomorrow.

healthyscratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:36 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Could just be Mez is ready to play tomorrow.
True. Didnt think of that.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:46 AM
gto64dr

Look how bad the Devils are with Brodeur out of the lineup. Hedberg is not a bad goalie but is nothing more than a backup at this point. Now look how bad we are with Bryz in the lineup. Some thing to think about. Bryz sucks at shootouts, what makes anyone think he could stop a breakaway or two on one. His save percentage is horrible, thats the shots he faces not what the defense gives up, that means he cant stop a decent number of shots. His best month was last march right after we picked up Grossman, who is a shot blocking machine. That means more shots get stopped by Grossman and he faces less. Again his save percentage sucks. We can blame Briere but his lousy offense doesn't put pucks in our net. We can blame Lavy but all he has is Bryz. He just can't make saves when we need them. How many were his fault last night, all of them, he didn't save the ones that went in. I don't care if they were tough shots, goalies are supposed to stop them. If we didn't let any shots through, then maybe he could win. But with him we need four or more almost every game. His fault we suck. The goalie is the most important player on your team. Bryz is not the solution, he is the problem.

gto64dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:48 AM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
Look how bad the Devils are with Brodeur out of the lineup. Hedberg is not a bad goalie but is nothing more than a backup at this point. Now look how bad we are with Bryz in the lineup. Some thing to think about. Bryz sucks at shootouts, what makes anyone think he could stop a breakaway or two on one. His save percentage is horrible, thats the shots he faces not what the defense gives up, that means he cant stop a decent number of shots. His best month was last march right after we picked up Grossman, who is a shot blocking machine. That means more shots get stopped by Grossman and he faces less. Again his save percentage sucks. We can blame Briere but his lousy offense doesn't put pucks in our net. We can blame Lavy but all he has is Bryz. He just can't make saves when we need them. How many were his fault last night, all of them, he didn't save the ones that went in. I don't care if they were tough shots, goalies are supposed to stop them. If we didn't let any shots through, then maybe he could win. But with him we need four or more almost every game. His fault we suck. The goalie is the most important player on your team. Bryz is not the solution, he is the problem.
ALL of them were his fault?

no.. no they weren't.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
gto64dr

then how many were his fault this year. Because every one that goes in seems to be defended. How about last night when he tangled his leg on the post, was that his fault. How about when he missed the poke check, was that his fault, or how about the 4th goal was that his fault. Some thing needs to be his fault, or is the rest of the team responsible for stopping every shot

Old
03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
blinds

Quote:
then how many were his fault this year. Because every one that goes in seems to be defended. How about last night when he tangled his leg on the post, was that his fault. How about when he missed the poke check, was that his fault, or how about the 4th goal was that his fault. Some thing needs to be his fault, or is the rest of the team responsible for stopping every shot
Bryz wasn't terrible last night. He wasn't good either. He just looked tired.

Flopped around on Dupuis' goal, and couldn't get up when Crosby brought it around the net. Made no effort to see the shot on Kennedy's goal, just went down completely screened. The one off Coburn's skate could have been stopped if he reacted sooner and was faster about getting over, with Malkin right there you gotta be prepared to go over. Kunitz goal was understandable, unlucky bounce off Grossmann's skate, although that's the type of goal I'd like to see Bryz steal.

Ehh, after typing it out I do want to kind of blame Bryz. They were all stoppable. Seems like a lack of effort contributed to 3 of them, although lack of effort and fatigue can be two sides of the same coin. Bryz certainly doesn't deserve all the blame however, there were defensive breakdowns like Couts not clearing the puck on Kunitz's goal, Coburn being late on defending Malkin in front of the net, and leaving Dupuis wide open in front of a wide open net.

But if Bryz bailed them out on any one of those it could've went differently. I understand the argument that those are the type of goals that go in, but given what Bryz is paid it'd be nice to see him steal at least one of those.

.75 save % and > 4 GAA kind of speaks for itself. It'd be more understandable if this kind of performance wasn't becoming commonplace again for him.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
The reason why people with your thought process meet a lot of resistance is because you're asking for a perfect world. You're basically asking Bryz to be the best goalie the NHL has ever seen, night in and night out; that is unreasonable. Also, lets say we get rid of Bryz, what would our next option be? Did you see Bouch put up an awesome .750 sv% last night?

A more reasonable explanation for the losses is that the team just is not good enough. The Fs need to be more responsible; Coburn needs to not angle his skates at the goal when a pass is coming through the crease; we need a PMD; the offense could not sustain pressure in the O zone (O control is better than defense); Lavy made terrible line changes; Lavy matched up Briere on Malkin; Lavy had Briere on the ice in important situations when the guy has been ice cold for weeks; injuries; no back up GT so Bryz gets worn down...

All of those problems can't be ignored, and no goalie is going to make up for those shortcomings. I don't want Bryz simply because it's too much money, for too long and for a guy that can be a total space cadet; however, I think he has played very well this year given the team in front of him.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

At practice couturier was demoted to 4th line for feds. Lavys love for Feds is kinda wierd. He hasnt done anything for this team

Old
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I swear, did Couts kill Lavy's dog or something to be treated this low?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:34 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He is the opposite of Briere on this team...

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:35 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
At practice couturier was demoted to 4th line for feds. Lavys love for Feds is kinda wierd. He hasnt done anything for this team
Better be a showcase for the B's !!

If not,,,

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:44 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I don't understand Lavi's way of distributing ice time at all. Briere plays awful? Give him more ice time in important roles! Knuble being as useless as Shelley out there, and taking a lot of penalties to boot? Better keep him for awhile. Schenn on fire? Let's only give him 12 minutes ice time a game.

That being said, Couts has been underwhelming this year, especially offensively (of course he's had **** for opportunities and linemates, but he can't finish on the chances he does have). But he's young, and the last thing I'd want to do is shoot his confidence even more just to replace him with Feds.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:58 PM
gto64dr

No, I don't expect Bryz to be perfect, that's not realistic. But he needs to be at least 50% better than he has been. And to compare a goalies save % when he's only played 5 periods of hockey all season is equally unrealistic. Given playing time I think Boucher could be a reliable backup. Lavy just keeps playing Bryz, hoping he will gain confidence. Confidence for him is not the answer, he just simply is not good enough to be a starter.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:05 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
No, I don't expect Bryz to be perfect, that's not realistic. But he needs to be at least 50% better than he has been. And to compare a goalies save % when he's only played 5 periods of hockey all season is equally unrealistic. Given playing time I think Boucher could be a reliable backup. Lavy just keeps playing Bryz, hoping he will gain confidence. Confidence for him is not the answer, he just simply is not good enough to be a starter.
False. He's already played too many games this year. He's worn out. He seriously needs to rest for the nest 6 out of 7 or something like that. No other goalie has played close to the same number of games as him.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:19 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
The reason why people with your thought process meet a lot of resistance is because you're asking for a perfect world. You're basically asking Bryz to be the best goalie the NHL has ever seen, night in and night out; that is unreasonable. Also, lets say we get rid of Bryz, what would our next option be? Did you see Bouch put up an awesome .750 sv% last night?
Boosh actually put up a .833 save % last night, while Bryzgalov posted a .750 save %. Last I checked, .833 > .750

I'm not saying Boosh is better than Bryz here, I just think it's kind of ridiculous for you to use Boosh's unspectacular save % to bolster your argument for Bryzgalov when Boosh actually outperformed Bryz in terms of save % last night.

Bryzgalov needs to be bought out. Sign a cheap aging stopgap goalie. Maybe Nabokov, maybe Timmy Thomas if he comes back, etc.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Showcasing Rusty and Briere?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
False. He's already played too many games this year. He's worn out. He seriously needs to rest for the nest 6 out of 7 or something like that. No other goalie has played close to the same number of games as him.
6 or 7? That's a lot. He had 3 days off before the Rangers game and 2 days before the Pens game. He usually plays about 68-69 games in a full season when he was at his best in PHX, and is pacing for 75 this year. I think he definitely needs to sit down next game, but 6 or 7 is extreme. Unless we're tanking.

03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
6 or 7? That's a lot. He had 3 days off before the Rangers game and 2 days before the Pens game. He usually plays about 68-69 games in a full season when he was at his best in PHX, and is pacing for 75 this year. I think he definitely needs to sit down next game, but 6 or 7 is extreme. Unless we're tanking.
Maybe the 5 day break on March 19th will propel us to the 8th seed.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
gto64dr

All Time Flyers Goaltenders

#9 Boucher 2.50 GAA .904 Save% About $1 Million

#15 Bryz 2.56 GAA .906 Save % About $6 Million

Bryz Playoffs 2.81 .908

Boucher 2.36 .911

???????????????????????????????????? Why do you think this guy is worth the money and excuses

Last edited by gto64dr: 03-08-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old
03-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
Maybe the 5 day break on March 19th will propel us to the 8th seed.
At least they won't be blowing 3 goal leads during that time period.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote