HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Lose 3-0. Watching Paint dry

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 09:45 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Hey would you know where that Christmas video is, I'd like to see it.
It was an interview with Mark Lee during the Sharks game around Christmas last year.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Dear god no. Seriously, I know exactly that look you are talking about. Where he realizes he is getting a #1 and gets interviewed by the TSN panel like he has made some sort of brilliant managed decision to aquire said pick. Its like in some sort of bizarro world the man is achieving something by building one of professional sports epic failures of a franchise.

Thats it exactly.
That look that tries to convince everybody that he is a GM genius. The part he doesn't seem to get is that the exceedingly poor results speak for him.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:55 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
the more things change the more they stay the same.

Reminds me of the late 90's when Slats would built that dynamite young team around Dougie Weight, Bill Guerin, Smytty, Grier, Marchant, BoBo Mironov, Roman Hamrlik....
The team was well built and designed, but the resources were'nt there to keep it togeather.
Here we are probably around 15 years later and resources are no longer a limitation and we cant do a damn thing...
I never thought I would miss those teams simply because we all knew that they were never good enough to get past the 2nd round. They were a pleasure to watch though because those teams had an identity.
They were hard working gritty teams and we all wondered how good the team could be if they had more money for salaries.

This current team has no identity unless 'soft and easy to play against' is considered an identity.

Just goes to show that money isn't enough...you need a strong management team as well.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:13 AM
trent_vinyl

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
This^^^ All those players you listed need to go, Add Potter too.

Smyth was easily the worst player tonight IMO. He's slower than molasses, Can't handle the puck, Doesn't stand in front of the net anymore, Can't shoot and take a pass, He's done. The only thing he can still do okay is PK. Smytty stop embarrasing yourself on the ice and retire please.
Smyth was the worst player on the ice. It was embarrasing. One play in particular, I think in the 2nd, he was carrying the puck in on the right side on maybe a 3 on 2 with an Oiler trailing him. Would have been a perfect spot for a drop pass and have Smyth go hard to the net. What does Smyth do? Throw a wimpy shot on net that Howard stops for a whistle.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
trent_vinyl

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
I've always felt in my gut the only reason Krueger was hired was because he was the only coach they interviewed who did not want to bring in his own handpicked assistant staff.
That's interesting and could have some truth behind it. Sad thing is, if Krueger was sent packing could you imagine any of our current assistants taking over the reins for the remainder of the season?

Old
03-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Da McBomb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
Smyth was the worst player on the ice. It was embarrasing. One play in particular, I think in the 2nd, he was carrying the puck in on the right side on maybe a 3 on 2 with an Oiler trailing him. Would have been a perfect spot for a drop pass and have Smyth go hard to the net. What does Smyth do? Throw a wimpy shot on net that Howard stops for a whistle.
I know the exact play you're referring to. I said the exact same thing to my friend at the time that Smyth shoulda made a drop pass there.

This is an awful team. Can't score, can't defend, can't hit. It was like watching men vs boys last night.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
blue_n_copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffen View Post
I'm new to this but I've noticed after watching these 20 some odd games in a row.. I havn't missed a single moment and one thing is ALWAYS evident..

why do all our opponents get WIDE OPEN looks in the slot AGAIN and AGAIN..

and we NEVER DO..??
Because we lose every single battle for the puck along the boards in our own end. Opposing teams have learned that the Oilers can be beaten regularly if you force them to play along the boards. This team needs an injection of size and heart desperately.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Stoneman89

Two opposite ends of the spectrum last night. Yakupov generally played like he should still be in junior. And Smyth played like he should be in a seniors home.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Mickelsnitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
And re: our breakout..

Has anyone noticed how apart from with Justin Schultz and on occasion Petry having the puck on their sticks, the breakout consists of the following:

1) 3-4 passes off the boards behind the net to the defensive partner because of a refusal by below-average transition defensemen to recognize the available lanes and instead face immense pressure from fore-checking forwards. Usually this eventually results in one errant pass and an opposition scoring chance.

2) Smid/N.Schultz finally get tired and fire it off the boards down the ice, usually right to the opposition defense/forwards.

It's really fun watching Detroit break-out, even without Lidstrom. That Kindl kid has all the confidence in the world. Picks up speed as he skates behind the net, grabs the puck, and wheels up the ice with appropriate support from his D-partner and the C (Zetter/Dats) behind him to confidently either skate up the ice with it or make break-in passes or drop-back passes that will better set up the zone entry. Just a perfect system.

J.Schultz/Petry are average at best at the (retro)Whitney/Pronger-like 100-foot breakout pass. Whitney has lot his ability to do it. We have literally no one on this team capable of recognizing it nor actually making it.

J.Schultz for some reason refuses to use his skating and wheel up the ice like Kindl/Karlsson. Petry has done it on occasion, but he's not even as talented as Schultz in terms of having the skills necessary to wheel like that.

As for Fistric/Whitney/Smid/N.Schultz.... Why is it that our organization has always had players like this?

Guys with:

1) piss-poor breakout pass ability
2) piss-poor break-out skating ability
3) piss-poor point shots

That last one is big. No defenseman on this team has a dangerous one-time wrist/slap shot with traffic other than Justin Schultz. Any good team has even their bottom-6 defensemen capable of firing the puck towards the net in a manner in which it'll generate rebounds and avoid shot-blockers. It's been a problem plaguing our team ever since Schultz/Tarnstrom/Bergeron/Pronger left after 2006. We had a slight resurgance with Souray/Visnovsky, but we all know how that turned out.
Ther was Pronger then Souray but they had to go away......

Old
03-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Mickelsnitz

Forgot Vis,

Old
03-08-2013, 11:20 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I never thought I would miss those teams simply because we all knew that they were never good enough to get past the 2nd round. They were a pleasure to watch though because those teams had an identity.
They were hard working gritty teams and we all wondered how good the team could be if they had more money for salaries.

This current team has no identity unless 'soft and easy to play against' is considered an identity.

Just goes to show that money isn't enough...you need a strong management team as well.
Yep they worked hard and Ronny Low (whatever happened to him) just wanted his guys to run someone over every shift.
You didnt have 3 1st overall picks on a team but you had a bunch of guys who went to war every game and gave you 1 round of playoff hockey that was unforgettable.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

Thats it exactly.
That look that tries to convince everybody that he is a GM genius. The part he doesn't seem to get is that the exceedingly poor results speak for him.
<---------You mean this look?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:29 AM
oilfaninvan

I am quite excited to hear the "Fire Krueger, Tambo & Lowe" chants first game back at rexall. I hope the fans give it to them hard.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanahanigans View Post
everyone on this team not named gagner hall, rnh, mps,yak,smid, brown and j.schultz are playing passenger hockey right now. Basically everyone over 25.

I feel sorry for the kids. A 19 year old 185 lb centreman should not be relied on as heavily as rnh is being relied on in both ends of the rink.

Ps. Kreuger seems like a terrible coach. He talks a good game but thats about it. Fire everybody, bring in burke and ruff. Burke would have the balls to improve this team. Vancouver, anaheim and now toronto are reaping the benefits of his work. Other than the seguin trade, he's improved the team greatly. Macarthur, bozak, phaneuf, franson,gunnarson, lupul grabovski, without trading away anyone of significance.
exactly,

Old
03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Rains

This is beyond, I don't even have the words anymore

Old
03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotnick View Post
exactly,
I'm tired of everyone being so awww struck at the Leafs this season. If it wasn't for Kadri's miracle season I'm not exactly sure where this team would be.

I bet prior to the season his name was at the top of the list to be traded for Lu.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
dhawken

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
I was more alarmed by his play in our end. He repeatedly was unable or unwilling to make a play on the hash marks to clear our zone when DET was pressing. May have been gassed, but definitely is looking like a dad on Play The Parents day...

Old
03-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

delete

Last edited by Fixed to Ruin: 03-08-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 11:47 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
<---------You mean this look?
nailed it right on the head

Old
03-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Da McBomb

Hard to believe this team continues to sell out its home games and theres a waiting list for season tickets. How anyone can pay thousands of dollars to support this sad sack team and poor entertainment is beyond me.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Hard to believe this team continues to sell out its home games and theres a waiting list for season tickets. How anyone can pay thousands of dollars to support this sad sack team and poor entertainment is beyond me.
Me and my Dad bought a flex pack this year and chose not to keep it once the lockout was announced.

1200$ well saved.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I know the exact play you're referring to. I said the exact same thing to my friend at the time that Smyth shoulda made a drop pass there.

This is an awful team. Can't score, can't defend, can't hit. It was like watching men vs boys last night.
While I understand the point, drop passes on this club have been so bad that the coaches don't wanna see it. I can't specifically remember this play but was the line out there for awhile, needed a change, Maybe they wanted a O zone faceoff. Never know what instructions are coming from the bench. I note this year that theres lot of audible coming from the bench. (I don't agree with this and think it creates confusion and micro player management) If I'm a young player particularly I don't think its helpful that I'm learnign the game and also having to deal with some audibles from the bench DURING play.

This ain't baseball..

Old
03-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
While I understand the point, drop passes on this club have been so bad that the coaches don't wanna see it. I can't specifically remember this play but was the line out there for awhile, needed a change, Maybe they wanted a O zone faceoff. Never know what instructions are coming from the bench. I note this year that theres lot of audible coming from the bench. (I don't agree with this and think it creates confusion and micro player management) If I'm a young player particularly I don't think its helpful that I'm learnign the game and also having to deal with some audibles from the bench DURING play.

This ain't baseball..
Don't you mean football?

Never heard of an audible in baseball.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Me and my Dad bought a flex pack this year and chose not to keep it once the lockout was announced.

1200$ well saved.
Man, you dodged one there. Win or lose I knew the hockey played on the ice wasn't going to be high quality anyway. Never is in a lockout year. Teams, players not properly prepared, no TC, No Exhibition season. Most games it seems like teams and players hardly know what to do out there. Moreso if you're an Oiler fan watching those games.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Don't you mean football?

Never heard of an audible in baseball.
Football for sure. I couldve used different terms. Instructions from the bench in anycase.
But that is happening this year and I don't think its a good idea in hockey. Maybe in specific situations if theres a player open or on breakaway, etc.

My own take in hockey its an extremely quick game and all you can do to keep on top of it on the ice trying to play it. Listening to infernal instructions from the bench while playing it must drive players nuts.

Closed Thread