HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 08:27 AM
jakethesnake23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i'm late with a response (busy couple of weeks) but here it goes. the thing with genetics is mainly fast twitch versus slow twitch muscle fiber (tho there's also the cardiovascular system) and you can be born with different amounts of each. the theory goes that sprinters are born with more fast twitch, marathoners with more slow twitch. however, the majority of people are not at the extremes and when you're talking about pro athletes, the spread is probably much smaller. additionally, there is some indication you can convert muscle fiber from one type to the other. you can certainly develop each type to its fullest potential. a player with slightly more fast twitch muscle fiber but poor technique and/or conditioning is going to be .... a poor skater.

when we're talking about fast players versus slow hockey players, the overwhelming different maker is conditioning and technique and technique is LEARNED. technique can also be changed. the reason players can't turn their skating around overnight is because it's very difficult - they've all developed their own idiosyncrasies since they were originally taught to skate and, frankly, some were taught by better teachers. also some spent more time over the years keeping their "chops" up, working with skating coaches or being lucky enough to have a hockey coach who could keep them on track. in any case, those techniques are ingrained by the time you reach the NHL. it's all muscle memory. it may take a player several years or more working with a good instructor to achieve any kind of change but it can be done and booth is the example we are all familiar with. could parros do it too? there's no reason why not.

finally, if you read some of the material out there (say, twist's book on conditioning for hockey or blatherwick's codification of the russian's overspeed training methods), you most certainly would come away with the opinion that speed and quickness can and is being taught. these concepts are what is driving training/conditioning in the NHL now and it's why the players and the game have become so much faster in the past 10+ years.
Fair enough, you make some good points that I agree with. I will conceed that there is more technique/skill in skating than there is in running, so proper technique/skill can make up for a lack of God-given speed. I also freely admit that one can improve skating. I guess we were just arguing degrees.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Fair enough, you make some good points that I agree with. I will conceed that there is more technique/skill in skating than there is in running, so proper technique/skill can make up for a lack of God-given speed. I also freely admit that one can improve skating. I guess we were just arguing degrees.
yeah, that's an important aspect of this discussion. thanks for mentioning it.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Lindy Ruff was fired.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Only Sabres coach I've ever known, it's going to weird seeing someone else behind that bench lol.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I was absolutely shocked by Ruff's firing, but it was probably overdue as the Sabres have had quite a few "on and off years" during his tenure. I almost didn't remember that Ted Nolan was the previous coach around the time that I first started watching hockey in the early-mid 90s. I'm sure Lindy will find a job really soon.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Anyone see the goal Vokoun gave up last night to tie the game? Good old short side vacuum

Old
02-26-2013, 01:05 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester will play his 735th career game tonight. That might not seem like a big deal, but he will now own the all-time mark for most regular season games played without appearing in a playoff game. Bouwmeester is currently tied with Guy Charron, who played 734 games from 1969-81 without making the playoffs.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Anyone like to see Ruff here?

-ghoste

Old
02-26-2013, 01:57 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post

-ghoste
Not me.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Knightmare

Quote:

-ghoste
I would love to see Ruff back here, but I'm not ready to give up on Dineen just yet.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Only if Dineen is fired. I don't want him over Dineen.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
p9ers

Gagné to Philly for a 4th

Ryder to Mtl for Cole

I hope there's no old Panthers reunion!

Old
02-26-2013, 06:10 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Until I can fully blame Dineen for the woes going on, I want him here without a doubt. I think things will change slowly for the better as time goes on. If he does end up getting fired at some point down the line, Lindy Ruff would be the first coach I'd put on my want list.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Knightmare

Ryan O'Reilly signed a 2-year, 10 mil offer sheet with Calgary. Matched by Colorado.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:30 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-february-2013

Makarov named HF Prospect of the Month. I was pumped when we invited him to camp. No idea why we let him go.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-february-2013

Makarov named HF Prospect of the Month. I was pumped when we invited him to camp. No idea why we let him go.
Because we signed this guy:

http://www.cycloneshockey.com/news/9...e-of-the-week/

Old
03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Rangers picked up Hamirlik off waivers from Washington. Guess DT didn't think he'd fit.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:43 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Just watched the Leafs / Sens game, then moved on to the 3rd of the Blackhawks - Avs game. The Hawks are unreal, scoring with under a min left to win. What a run! I think you would be crazy to not think they will win the cup this year, bearing any injuries.

Now the Ducks - Coyotoes, with play stoppages checking in with Flames - Sharks. Love me my Center Ice !!

Old
03-06-2013, 11:44 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Rangers picked up Hamirlik off waivers from Washington. Guess DT didn't think he'd fit.
He looked at the lineup and concluded that we have enough aging slow defensemen.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Just watched the Leafs / Sens game, then moved on to the 3rd of the Blackhawks - Avs game. The Hawks are unreal, scoring with under a min left to win. What a run! I think you would be crazy to not think they will win the cup this year, bearing any injuries.

Now the Ducks - Coyotoes, with play stoppages checking in with Flames - Sharks. Love me my Center Ice !!
I'm going to say that the Hawks lose in the first-round.

-ghoste

Old
03-07-2013, 12:06 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
I'm going to say that the Hawks lose in the first-round.

-ghoste
All depends on who they play I guess. Anything can happen. Last year I picked the Kings to sweep the Canucks in the first round. My friends thought I was nutso, but they won in 5 games so I was pretty close.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

So much for Getzlaf. 8yrs/66MM (avg cap hit of $8.25). Good player, FAR too much cabbage for him.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:16 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
So much for Getzlaf. 8yrs/66MM (avg cap hit of $8.25). Good player, FAR too much cabbage for him.
He's arguably the best center in the West right now. If you want to keep your soon to be #1 free agent you have to pay. Probably about a million more than he's worth.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I never saw us signing him or putting up even close to that money to sign free agent. The Ducks did overpay by a million or two, but I guess it's necessary to lock him up long-term for what success he brings to that team. Now, I'm wondering what happens to Perry.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:56 PM
p9ers

We'll ave to wait and see if it's an over payment. With the new CBA you can't add extra years to lower the average cost of the salary. Last year, there would have been 4 more years to the contract worth 6 millions total lowering is average.

Closed Thread