Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy's Next Contract

Old
03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Derek Roy's Next Contract

We should have numbers on Getzlaf's 8 year deal soon, and we've already seen Zajac's numbers.

With Dallas pushing to get a contract done, this seemed like it was worthy of a thread.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
BigG44

Oh my ... wow:

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Eight years with AAV of $8.25M for Ryan Getzlaf with ANA.
That pretty much sets the market for Roy. Somewhere between Zajac and less the Getzlaf. Since he's older though, it could be shorter.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

4 years 20 million is about as much as I'd do. He's 29 and I don't think Dallas should give him a 5th year.

The question comes if he plays hard ball and demands a 5th year or more money than Benn will Dallas capitulate or be willing to trade him while in the hunt and on a decent run right now?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

$8.25 a year for Getzlaf. Hell to the no on anywhere close to that for Roy.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
What the **** 8.25/year for Getzlaf? Selanne and Koivu must be retiring.

Roy should get 4.75x3, maybe 4.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
4 years 20 million is about as much as I'd do. He's 29 and I don't think Dallas should give him a 5th year.

The question comes if he plays hard ball and demands a 5th year or more money than Benn will Dallas capitulate or be willing to trade him while in the hunt and on a decent run right now?
4 years makes sense to me. That gives him an opportunity for 1 more contract that won't count as a 35+.

It'll be more than $5 million a year though ... or he's not signing in Dallas IMO. From 30 to 34, Zajac's pays him $6.5 million a year.

I'd say somewhere between $5.75 and $6.5 million a year on a 4 year deal is the realistic cost for Dallas to get him under contract. Derek Roy is already making $5.5 million this year, and he's not going to take a pay cut when he won't have to. If Dallas isn't willing to pay, he'll move on.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
What the **** 8.25/year for Getzlaf? Selanne and Koivu must be retiring.

Roy should get 4.75x3, maybe 4.
He walks. I'd be stunned to see him take a pay cut to stay in Dallas.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Oh my ... wow:

That pretty much sets the market for Roy. Somewhere between Zajac and less the Getzlaf. Since he's older though, it could be shorter.
Roy's a better player than Zajac but I don't want to pay him more than Benn. He's not better than Jamie and demanding somewhere between Zajac and Getzlaf type money may be a deal breaker for me despite the fact that the Stars have the cap room.

It's not my money but it's bad business to be tied to a bad contract that they gave out of desperation to keep the return the got for Ott or because they don't have a ready replacement for Eakin on the 3rd line if Roy is gone.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:02 PM
StarsFan74

Holy crap!!

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
There is no way I would pay Roy more than Benn in a cap world.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:03 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I'd overpay for Roy to keep the years down. I could see his camp pushing for a a long-term contract to cash in on his UFA payday. I'd rather give him some extra dough for 4 years instead of getting a discount and being stuck with a declining player for 6-7.

I'd do 6.5 x 4 years. Or if he's deadset on a longterm contract, make him take a discount in the 5mil range.

To you all saying 4 years max or no more than 5 mil, you pretty much guarantee he's walking. We're going to have to overpay SOMETHING. He's a UFA and going to take advantage.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

****. I was going off his cap hit not his salary. I had no idea he was making 5.5 million. I can't justify paying him 6 million a year. That's crazy talk to me. If they want to front load his contract that's one thing but paying him 6 million seems pretty damn steep for a guy who's only once been a PPG player and that was 5 seasons ago.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:06 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Roy's a better player than Zajac but I don't want to pay him more than Benn. He's not better than Jamie and demanding somewhere between Zajac and Getzlaf type money may be a deal breaker for me despite the fact that the Stars have the cap room.

It's not my money but it's bad business to be tied to a bad contract that they gave out of desperation to keep the return the got for Ott or because they don't have a ready replacement for Eakin on the 3rd line if Roy is gone.
It's not bad business to pay a center market value if you feel he fits the team. Refusing to pay Roy or another center more money than Benn is silly when his deal eats up all of 1 UFA year. If Benn is so ignorant that it would bother him, you've got major problems with maturity. I don't see him being upset though.

What I proposed, IMO isn't a bad contract, it's realistic, but I don't have a problem with them deciding he's not worth it. As much as I do feel Roy is fitting in well, he's a tiny guy, and I know Dallas likes bigger centers. As long as they trade him or sign him ... I honestly don't care. Letting him walk though is unacceptable. Just realized that he's going to get paid fair. I'd love to say he'll take a discount, but none of Dallas' other UFA re-signs ... or RFA's a year from UFA ... have done that yet.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:07 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
He walks. I'd be stunned to see him take a pay cut to stay in Dallas.
I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a 2 year deal @ $5.5-6m at the end of which he'll still be physically viable to command a lot of money for a long-term deal, provided he puts up a good performance. It's also more likely that the Stars will have Faksa ready to replace him.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:07 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
There is no way I would pay Roy more than Benn in a cap world.
The two contracts aren't remotely comparable. 4 years of RFA and a single year of UFA doesn't translate well at all to an UFA.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Phil Connors*

Anything more than 5 mil let him walk, anything more than 4 years let him walk. I'm still on the fence as to whether we should resign him. He seems pretty bipolar with his play. I'm not saying I'm disappointed with his play this year, just not sure if I want him on the team for 4 more years (which I assume is what he wants, atleast)

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:09 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a 2 year deal @ $5.5-6m at the end of which he'll still be physically viable to command a lot of money for a long-term deal, provided he puts up a good performance. It's also more likely that the Stars will have Faksa ready to replace him.
Again ... I don't think it's realistic to expect him to take a pay cut. Someone else is just as likely to offer him the money he wants.

They need to be prepared to trade him if they are going into the negotiations with this attitude.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:11 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Anything more than 5 mil let him walk, anything more than 4 years let him walk. I'm still on the fence as to whether we should resign him. He seems pretty bipolar with his play. I'm not saying I'm disappointed with his play this year, just not sure if I want him on the team for 4 more years (which I assume is what he wants, atleast)
4 years shouldn't be a deal breaker. He's a guy you would likely have an easy time moving ... just like Ribeiro was. It wouldn't hurt to have a guy under contract until Faksa or someone else proved they were a capable Top 9 center to go with Benn and Eakin.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
No way he asks for 2 years. He's going to be the best Forward on the market most likely (assumine Perry re-signs) and his agent will know it. They'll get paid.

Faksa is also in no way a guarantee to make the NHL. Can't even think about him righ tnow.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
4 years shouldn't be a deal breaker. He's a guy you would likely have an easy time moving ... just like Ribeiro was. It wouldn't hurt to have a guy under contract until Faksa or someone else proved they were a capable Top 9 center to go with Benn and Eakin.
Not if Roy asks for a NTC and not if he doesn't put up good numbers. Ribeiro didn't get a NTC/NMC and. for his part, lived up to his contract extension.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:16 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Not if Roy asks for a NTC and not if he doesn't put up good numbers. Ribeiro didn't get a NTC/NMC and. for his part, lived up to his contract extension.
Well then they shouldn't have signed Benn because the future is unpredictable and scary. Ribs did have a LNTC allowing him to name 10 teams he wouldn't permit a trade to.

It's more reasonable to assume Roy would receive something limited rather than iron clad. People ***** about Dallas' NTC all the time, but nearly everyone of them turned out to be extremely limited or for only the first year or two of the contract.

Bottom line ... if Dallas won't step up to the plate, they have to trade him. The 2 year deal you're talking about isn't going to get it done in all likelihood.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Part of the debate should be what the replacement market is like. If Roy leaves, what should be the replacement target? Are we willing to pony up for Weiss or Bozak but not Derek Roy?

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
BigG44

Kari's deal structure is probably a good comparable. His deal also only takes him to 34 years old potentially allowing one more big contract.

He has a full NTC in the first two years, and it's limited the remainder.

I'd say 2 years of full NTC + a limited the remainder on a Roy contract would be a reasonable assumption.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:25 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Part of the debate should be what the replacement market is like. If Roy leaves, what should be the replacement target? Are we willing to pony up for Weiss or Bozak but not Derek Roy?
The argument from most will be Cody Eakin and then signing a 3rd line center. I think that would work fine, but Dallas is definitely a better team with Benn, Eakin, and Roy than Benn, Eakin, and a defensive center.

The real question to me is how concerned are you about the cap? Is saving a million or two just so you can say you didn't overpay worth the lack of depth?

If they can trade him in a similar deal as Ribeiro move securing a Top 9 center ... that would be my first choice, but I don't think he'll command that type of return. Signing might be the better option then.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Well then they shouldn't have signed Benn because the future is unpredictable and scary. Ribs did have a LNTC allowing him to name 10 teams he wouldn't permit a trade to.

It's more reasonable to assume Roy would receive something limited rather than iron clad. People ***** about Dallas' NTC all the time, but nearly everyone of them turned out to be extremely limited or for only the first year or two of the contract.

Bottom line ... if Dallas won't step up to the plate, they have to trade him.
I didn't know Ribs had a 10 team no-trade list, but that said, my argument was made ONLY for our "ease of ability" to move him down the road as in, after we extend him. You made it look like it'd be that obviously easy, whereas I'd say it's hard to predict anything now and our ability to move him easily will depend on the conditions of his extension, his performance, etc. etc..

I am not commenting on whether we should take a chance and extend him.

Quote:
The 2 year deal you're talking about isn't going to get it done in all likelihood.
I specifically said that he is the one who asks for the 2 year deal to boost his stock and not that that's what we'd offer him.