HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
how many goals do you blame Bryz for vs PITT ?
Kenendy and Dupuis could be stopped.

Stop 1 we get a point. Team was awful after 1st period, but they still spotted Bryz 4 goals. When team and coach fail, I expect our top paid goalie to bail them out.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Kenendy and Dupuis could be stopped.

Stop 1 we get a point. Team was awful after 1st period, but they still spotted Bryz 4 goals. When team and coach fail, I expect our top paid goalie to bail them out.
the shot he never saw ? and the slam dunk from Dupuis ?

unreal. only in Philly.

you explained the loss right there.

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 03-08-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Blame the 2 guys eating 12 mill in space that hinders team from improving.

Which would you prefer Bryz and Briere or
am i mistaken ? didn't we offer Zach Parise and Ryan Suter & Weber big contracts WITH Bryz on the books ?

STOP with the "cap" excuses.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Also, Bryz is currently on pace for 75 starts in an 82 game season. He generally started 70ish in Phoenix.

Quote:
the shot he never saw ? and the slam dunk from Dupuis ?

that's laughable. unreal.

you explained the loss right there.
Here's a thought: Bryz earns part of his cap hit, makes ONE big save, and the team gets a point. He's payed to bail out the team, and he failed once again.

Quote:
am i mistaken ? didn't we offer Zach Parise and Ryan Suter & Weber big contracts WITH Bryz on the books ?

STOP with the "cap" excuses.
You probably shouldn't bother talking about or mentioning the salary cap until you understand its impact on how NHL teams can be built. If they had Weber AND Bryz, it would have ended up costing the team depth somewhere. Since Bryz isn't worth his cap hit, that's not acceptable, since he doesn't seem capable of making up for that loss of depth.

03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Just ignore him guys. In his fantasy world a "Beast" maintains anything under a 3.00 avg.

Says it all right there.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Also, Bryz is currently on pace for 75 starts in an 82 game season. He generally started 70ish in Phoenix.
Right, he's on pace to start 6 more games than his career high in an 82 game season, and he's doing it in a condensed schedule where the Flyers have played more games than anyone else so far, except Buffalo who's played as many.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Right, he's on pace to start 6 more games than his career high in an 82 game season, and he's doing it in a condensed schedule where the Flyers have played more games than anyone else so far, except Buffalo who's played as many.
It's also in a season where he can only have a maximum of 46 starts at this point. He also has had a decent amount of rest lately. He's had 2 games in 5 days. There was a three day break before the Rangers, and another 2 days break before the Pens. If there was any point in the season where he should have looked better, it was those last two games.

If he looked like he did last night off a back-to-back, that would be one thing. However...he had recovery time. He still disappointed.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:34 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
My post from another discussion.

Pretty much a repeat of last year.

Defense is average to above average in a lot of stats VS the league but stats centered around our "elite" goaltender are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel.
You clearly don't understand, they don't make stats to show how bad our defense is. Forget about all of the studies that show shot quality is pretty constant from team to team over the course of an NHL season, forget the fact that shots on goal and scoring chances have a high correlation and that scoring chances have a high correlation to goal-scoring, you need to throw all the stats out the window.

The fact of the matter is that the Flyers defense is a statistical anomaly. It's probably the worst defense ever assembled in the history of hockey at any level, NHL, AHL, ECHL, OHL, QMJHL, Pee-Wee, etc. They give up more shots from prime goal-scoring areas than any other team has ever given up. In fact, there's some teams that give up less prime goal scoring opportunities in 10 years than the Flyers have thus far in this one lockout shortened season. On any other team in the NHL, Ilya Bryzgalov is posting at minimum a .930 save %. More than likely it'd be closer to .970, maybe even 1.000. The point is, Ilya Bryzgalov is clearly the MVP of the Flyers and to be honest, he's easily #1 on my list of Vezina candidates. He'd probably be #1 on my Hart Trophy candidates list too if it weren't for this historically bad defense costing us all of these games.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:36 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
You clearly don't understand, they don't make stats to show how bad our defense is. Forget about all of the studies that show shot quality is pretty constant from team to team over the course of an NHL season, forget the fact that shots on goal and scoring chances have a high correlation and that scoring chances have a high correlation to goal-scoring, you need to throw all the stats out the window.

The fact of the matter is that the Flyers defense is a statistical anomaly. It's probably the worst defense ever assembled in the history of hockey at any level, NHL, AHL, ECHL, OHL, QMJHL, Pee-Wee, etc. They give up more shots from prime goal-scoring areas than any other team has ever given up. In fact, there's some teams that give up less prime goal scoring opportunities in 10 years than the Flyers have thus far in this one lockout shortened season. On any other team in the NHL, Ilya Bryzgalov is posting at minimum a .930 save %. More than likely it'd be closer to .970, maybe even 1.000. The point is, Ilya Bryzgalov is clearly the MVP of the Flyers and to be honest, he's easily #1 on my list of Vezina candidates. He'd probably be #1 on my Hart Trophy candidates list too if it weren't for this historically bad defense costing us all of these games.
Thanks for the laugh.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
this team has no heart. to come out flat in the 2nd IS embarrassing, just like Hartnell said.

between MAF & Bryz's 8 goals against, there was 1 "bad" goal: Kimmo's wrister.
1st goal for Pitt:
a Briere lazy dump out, a Gus turnover, Bryz gets pushed back after making the 1st save, Bruno leave Dupuis all alone instead of tying up his stick.

i saw a great Bryz poke check,great rebound control on the PK - he bailed them out.

Coburn puts one into our net & Bryz never saw Kennedy's shot

for all the SOG & scoring chance guys: Kimmo's wrister & the slam dunk on the 5th goal both count equally: 1 SOG & 1 scoring chance. typical SOG / scoring chance agaianst the Flyers.

lemme guess: Varly would have stopped that 5th goal ...

only 1 of the 9 goals was a "bad" goal.

AWFUL play by Kimmo on that 5th goal, BTW
It wasn't his fault last night. I'll give you that.

I don't know how you can argue an .899 save percentage is worth a $5.6 cap hit. We're simply not getting what we're paying for.

What's your obsession with Varly? Is this going to be common theme all season long now?

Old
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Pekka Rinne has 21 out of 23 starts. He hasn't bottomed out.

Lundqvist has 19 out of 22 starts. He hasn't bottomed out.

Miller has 22 out of 25 starts. He hasn't bottomed out.

The earlier part of the season was rough in terms of schedule, yes. I understand him looking fatigued at times during those stretches, especially with back to back away games and such. But, to look more tired than ever after 3 days of rest, followed by 2 days of rest? Maybe he wasn't that tired. Maybe he just had bad games.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

Bryz lacks the fight you want to see in a goalie. On the game tying goal by Tyler Kennedy he literally just went into the butterfly and hoped it hit him some how. You watch Lundy, Quick, Rinne and other elite goalie, they fight to find the puck and put themselves in the best position to make a save. Bryz literally was just hoping the puck hit him on that goal.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
BillDineen

I wonder what the next Bryz excuse is going to be? My vote is laying the blame on Reese.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm surprised Miller has played almost all their games. Enroth isn't a bad goalie.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I wonder what the next Bryz excuse is going to be? My vote is laying the blame on Reese.
I wouldn't mind trying to bring a new goalie coach to give a new face. Reese has been here for a while now.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm surprised Miller has played almost all their games. Enroth isn't a bad goalie.
My understanding is that he's stagnated/regressed. Can't say I've seen him play this year, I'm going off what I've seen around this site.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It wasn't his fault last night. I'll give you that.
i have to give you credit: to make that statement took guts.
that's all i'm saying, of the 9 goals, only Kimmo's goal was a "bad goal"

again, last night's issue was a team coming out flat with a 4-1 lead. even so, Bryz bailed them out in the PK in the 2nd period. saves, rebound control, fight ... everything you want.

the team just folded in around him.

as for the value / cap stuff, i'll leave that to Homer & MGT.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

He played last night. He got injured in the 3rd. He robbed Kovy on the one play I saw in the highlights.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
When team and coach fail, I expect our top paid goalie to bail them out.
did you even watch the PK in the 2nd period ?
Bryz bailed them out. saves, rebound control, fight ... everything you want.

but he can't stop what he can't see. no goalie does.

this has to be the only city where the goalie gets blamed for that.

it's the typical Philly mentality: 4 goals against = goalies fault.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

No matter what your goalie has to be your best PKer..... so using that as a argument is pretty low. He needs to stand up and make them saves...

Old
03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Hooray, best player for 2 minutes of the game.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
No matter what your goalie has to be your best PKer..... so using that as a argument is pretty low. He needs to stand up and make them saves...
using the argument that he stepped up & bailed them out , like everybody here wants to see around here, is "pretty low" ?
OK, i get it: pointing out that he does well is "pretty low" to some around here.

ok, whatever. have a nice rest of the season.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

He did well for 2 minutes. Two. Minutes.

Excuse me for not dying of joy.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Pekka Rinne has 21 out of 23 starts. He hasn't bottomed out.

Lundqvist has 19 out of 22 starts. He hasn't bottomed out.

Miller has 22 out of 25 starts. He hasn't bottomed out.

The earlier part of the season was rough in terms of schedule, yes. I understand him looking fatigued at times during those stretches, especially with back to back away games and such. But, to look more tired than ever after 3 days of rest, followed by 2 days of rest? Maybe he wasn't that tired. Maybe he just had bad games.
Two days off and a game on the third day isn't really three days of rest is it? And I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know how much rest a goalie should need before he's not fatigued anymore. I don't think anyone else should. All we know is he said he was tired. Maybe he doesn't feel that way anymore, maybe he does.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
using the argument that he stepped up & bailed them out , like everybody here wants to see around here, is "pretty low" ?
OK, i get it: pointing out that he does well is "pretty low" to some around here.

ok, whatever. have a nice rest of the season.
What the hell are you talking about? Bryz has to be your best PKer no matter what. He doesn't bail you out of a PK. He needs to be there for that. The god damn team is down a player, and you saying he is bailing them out is a joke. That's what the goalies primary objective is on the PK and other times of the game.(more specifically the PK)

Its absolutely silly to be saying we need to give him props for bailing us out of the PK...

Closed Thread