HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ducks Re-Sign Getzlaf extension [8 Years/$8.25 million AAV, NMC]

Old
03-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
This will unfortunately be the new norm due to the 8 yr limit leading to higher AAV. The price of having superstars has gone up unless the cap goes up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Franchise centers don't come cheap. For people that actually watch Anaheim, he has played like one of the best players in the world.
No he has't. He's played like a top 8 to 12thish player not even top 5. But he can negotiate with Anaheim by saying either you pay me this or I walk. They can't lose both stars.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
8thRoundPick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Lydman is definitely gone. Teemu will probably retire. Koivu has stated that he doesn't plan on considering retirement until after Sochi. We also have a 1a/1b situation in net with Hiller, too. Cap is not going to be a big issue next year.
You won't want to replace Teemu and Lydman with pylons - guys with contracts will be needed.

Carrying a 23-man roster, you'll need 6 more signed with that 10 million. Koivu will likely stay in ANA, and sign for $4m-ish. A couple of those are RFA's, due for decent raises. Gonna be tight, and coming from a team that's been using an internal cap for financial reasons.

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Just when you thought the Parise deal could not look worse. Anaheim can say goodby to Perry. Ryan has wanted out for a few years. Bad deal.
Ryan has wanted out the one year he was the focus of trade rumors and speculation. If Perry gets moved I PROMISE you his spot on this team will be cemented.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't like the deal. This year Getzlaf is playing great. Last year he looked disinterested and floated for many games. Duck fans were not very happy with his play.
This kind of money is too much for Getzlaf. He's a level below the top players based mainly on the fact that he was inconsistent last year. A deal in the $6.5 million range for that long of term would have been closer to market, IMO. Hopefully for the Ducks they get this year's Getzlaf and not last years.
You have it wrong. Anaheim fans, in general, had no issue with his effort level. He just wasn't sharp. It was probably his hardest working season.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

If I'm a Duck fan, I'm not in here trying to justify signing a top #1 center to anyone, I'm happy dancing with a beer

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BillDineen

Wow, full UFA contract. Zero discount.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Some people act like a player getting $1-2 million more per year than they may be worth is going to screw over a franchise or something..
The issue is if you have 2 or 3 players signed to deals like this, then you are looking at giving up an extra 5-6 Million, which can start to cause problems. Ducks should be fine though I think, they still have lots of room...8 years is a long time though.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Oh give me a break already. Its been 20 games. My goodness.
No, actually, it's been four straight seasons of over a PPG pace, one anomalous season, and a return to form.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
new cap hit next season... 60M (if i understood correctly)
The cap itself his going down next year, not the cap hits. Cap hit is generally used to describe what each player will count against the total cap.

Teams used to tack on ******** years at the end of the deal so a player making $9M would have a $6M cap hit.

Can't do that as much with the 8 year limit. The hit for these players will be higher.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Ducks didn't get owned. Getzlaf might not be worth that to teams like the Penguins or the Hawks, but to the teams that NEED a #1C, he's definitely worth that.

Hopefully he can stay healthy throughout his whole contract.
Well no way the Caps keep Ribeiro now. I was thinking he was gonna get 5.5, now after this craziness, he is looking at 6.5-7 easily.

Bye Ribs, we hardly knew ya!

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:24 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
No, actually, it's been four straight seasons of over a PPG pace, one anomalous season, and a return to form.
Ok you're right Getzlaf is a perennial 90 point player, even though he has hit that mark a grand total of ONCE. my apologies. Anything to justify that contact..

Old
03-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thRoundPick View Post
You won't want to replace Teemu and Lydman with pylons - guys with contracts will be needed.

Carrying a 23-man roster, you'll need 6 more signed with that 10 million. Koivu will likely stay in ANA, and sign for $4m-ish. A couple of those are RFA's, due for decent raises. Gonna be tight, and coming from a team that's been using an internal cap for financial reasons.
Koivu will have to take a discount, and even if he doesn't, just about everyone could be replaced internally. It doesn't get much respect on here, but the Ducks have a very deep prospect pool with a lot of guys being close to ready. Budget team or not, they're winning again and are eligible for revenue sharing, they can afford to spend a little, as seen with this extension.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Well no way the Caps keep Ribeiro now. I was thinking he was gonna get 5.5, now after this craziness, he is looking at 6.5-7 easily.

Bye Ribs, we hardly knew ya!
Ribeiro is nothing compared to Getzlaf.

I don't mind this contract one bit.

I wouldn't care if the Leafs signed Getzlaf for 9M...teams that need a #1C would EASILY have paid him that money.

This is not overpayment, this is essentially the Ducks paying what the market was going to give for him.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thRoundPick View Post

We have guys on ELCs. Lydman is on our third pairing or press box on most nights.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Also, I was replying to his pace THIS SEASON, since you said he is on a 90 point pace this season, what he did in the past has little bearing. If you think he will stay at a 90 point pace the rest of this year, you're much more optimistic about him than I am.

Old
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Sweet Mother of God. That's a lot of money. Hopefully he continues his usual play and last year was a blip on the radar.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
fsanford

Just in Californina alone, you have 3 big centers, Ducks need Getzlaf to line up with the likes of Thorton and Kopitar..

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wingfan

8.25 mil cap hit for 8 years?!?!? This is stupid. It'll disgust me to see what kind of coin Cory Perry gets locked up for this summer.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Force951

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
If they sign Perry to around the same contract (lets 9 for math sake ) they have just over 10 million for They other UFAs are: Selanne(4), Koivu(3), Lydman(gone), Lovejoy(525,000). Their RFAs are: Palmieri(2), McMillan(1), Beleskey(800,000).

It will be tight but not impossible but it looks like they will have to lose at least 1 of Selanni,Koivu,Lydman to do it.
Selanne is likely retiring, and they will let Lydman walk with Lindhom/Vatanen knocking on the door. Assuming Perry resigns for the same as Getzlaf we would be looking at:

Palmieri (1.5) - Getzlaf (8.25) - Perry (8.25)
Ryan (5.562) - Holland (1.295) - Etem (.9)
Cogliano (2.67) - Koivu (3) - Winnik (1.8)
Beleskey (1) - Bonino (.7) - Maroon (.6)

Fowler (4) -Allen (3.5)
Beachemin (3.5) -Souray (3.5)
Sbisa (2.6) -Vatanen/Lindholm (1.775)
Lovejoy (.8)

Hiller (4.5)
Fasth (2.4)

Total 62.102

If management doesn't want to spend that much they can ship off Hiller and call up Andersen to be the backup.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stahl2Stall
Drawing Frog 8

So it's similar to the Parise deal without the BS years at the end, which really doesn't matter for Anaheim seeing as they're not a cap team anyways.

Stahl2Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
So much stupidity in this thread.

These types of deals are the new norm. Better start getting used to them. Good for Anaheim for keeping their star center.
Just because they may become the norm doesn't make it any less stupid or bad. I know why Anaheim signed him for what they did but I would be a bit pissed off if Holland signed Getzlaf for that much on July 5th.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Koivu will have to take a discount, and even if he doesn't, just about everyone could be replaced internally. It doesn't get much respect on here, but the Ducks have a very deep prospect pool with a lot of guys being close to ready. Budget team or not, they're winning again and are eligible for revenue sharing, they can afford to spend a little, as seen with this extension.
I really doubt anaheim has player of koivu's caliber just waiting in ahl for his spot...

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Ok you're right Getzlaf is a perennial 90 point player, even though he has hit that mark a grand total of ONCE. my apologies. Anything to justify that contact..
Haters gonna hate. He got signed, as others have posted, when the contract is taken in context with the new CBA, this type of deal will become the norm for franchise type players.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
You might want to take a closer look at Getzlaf's numbers. His form is closer to a 90 point pace.
While I believe pace shouldn't be diminished I firmly believe that contracts should pay more attention to the actual production rather than "well if you hadn't gotten injured for two years in a row then you might have X amount of points!".
Paying for potential is fine when we're dealing with prospects and like I said pace should count for something but paying for what might have happened is dangerous.

I am not a fan of the deal not from Anaheim's perspective, I'm not a fan of the deal because guys like Spezza and Giroux will be able to say "well Getzlaf got X and I actually produced! I should get X+!" and they will be absolutely correct.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Big hometown discount. He could have asked for 10 million a year!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote