Notices

Derek Roy's Next Contract

Old
03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
No way he asks for 2 years. He's going to be the best Forward on the market most likely (assumine Perry re-signs) and his agent will know it. They'll get paid.

Faksa is also in no way a guarantee to make the NHL. Can't even think about him righ tnow.
Plus, Dallas already proved with the Lethonen deal that they won't let a top prospect influence their decision.

Seems like people are going to be disappointed based on the reaction today because I still believe Dallas will eventually sign the guy. Sounds like most people won't like the numbers.

It comes down to if Roy's agent thinks there's potential for a money grab despite the salary cap going down.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:31 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Plus, Dallas already proved with the Lethonen deal that they won't let a top prospect influence their decision.

Seems like people are going to be disappointed based on the reaction today because I still believe Dallas will eventually sign the guy. Sounds like most people won't like the numbers.

It comes down to if Roy's agent thinks there's potential for a money grab despite the salary cap going down.
That is very much a possibility.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:33 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:

I think we're going to pay him more years/money than we're all comfortable with too. But honestly I'm OK with that. We have the money and flexibility, depth down the middle is a nice problem to have, and he's proven that he can play well in this system. I'm OK giving him market value and dealing with a logjam at Center a few years down the line.

Last edited by MetalGodAOD*: 03-08-2013 at 01:38 PM.
MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
The argument from most will be Cody Eakin and then signing a 3rd line center. I think that would work fine, but Dallas is definitely a better team with Benn, Eakin, and Roy than Benn, Eakin, and a defensive center.

The real question to me is how concerned are you about the cap? Is saving a million or two just so you can say you didn't overpay worth the lack of depth?

If they can trade him in a similar deal as Ribeiro move securing a Top 9 center ... that would be my first choice, but I don't think he'll command that type of return. Signing might be the better option then.
Depends on what Dallas thinks of their internal options.

If they think Chiasson can fill Eakin's 3rd line center role next year, trading Roy is easier. If they have a guy targeted like they did with Eakin and can get him in a trade for Roy or in a separate deal then trading Roy isn't a problem. If they believe Roussel can be that guy again losing Roy hurts less. It comes down to what they feel is a fair evaluation and what they believe their other options are. 4/24 won't make me throw things but that's pushing it as far to the edge as I'm willing to go.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I think we're going to pay him more years/money than we're all comfortable with too. But honeslty I'm OK with that. We have the money and flexibility, depth down the middle is a nice problem to have, and he's proven that he can play will in this system. I'm OK giving him market value and dealing with a logjam at Center a few years down the line.
I'm not going to be upset if he takes more than 4 years, but I think that's what he'll want. That's just a personal feeling though.

I think he and his agent will want to gamble on one last remaining multi-year contract at 34 years old. I think that's exactly what Lehtonen and his agent did, and others around the league have done it as well.

If he goes 8 right now with Dallas ... I agree with you where you said earlier he'll have to reduce his AAV. That means less money in the last 4 years. On a 4 year contract, he could still stand to get some decent money on another 3 or 4 year deal at 34 years old.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:46 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Depends on what Dallas thinks of their internal options.

If they think Chiasson can fill Eakin's 3rd line center role next year, trading Roy is easier. If they have a guy targeted like they did with Eakin and can get him in a trade for Roy or in a separate deal then trading Roy isn't a problem. If they believe Roussel can be that guy again losing Roy hurts less. It comes down to what they feel is a fair evaluation and what they believe their other options are. 4/24 won't make me throw things but that's pushing it as far to the edge as I'm willing to go.
I bet you'd eventually be OK swallowing an additional $500K if it came to that. It may not, but I think you'd come around.

Dallas has over $19 million in cap space next season, and they don't have any other significant free agents to sign. Jagr doesn't worry me because he'll always be a year to year commitment.

This short season's revenue has proven we can expect the cap to just keep going up, and as young players start needing raises, big salaries for Whitney, Robidas and Cole will be coming off.

You're essentially taking a stand of Gaglardi's money which is admirable, but I don't think Roy being "overpaid" by $1 to $1.5 million is going to hurt the team.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:49 PM
TrillMike

No way I pay him more than Benn. Getzlaf's deal is silly.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:52 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
No way I pay him more than Benn. Getzlaf's deal is silly.
One is a deal for a player coming off of an ELC and the other is for a UFA. Expect Benn's next deal to fetch him $7-7.5m/year...easily.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:53 PM
vofty

I see no validity in the complaint that Roy would make more than Benn, he will make more than Benn either in Dallas or if he moves elsewhere. Benn is coming off of a contract from RFA years and it is certainly not going to be his highest paid contract of his career (provided his trajectory continues). If Benn was on his highest paid contract I could see validity in the complaint but Benn is still growing into the role and his new contract reflects that. Roy is going to get his money and to expect his contract to be <$5 million is setting yourself up for serious zomg! no ****ing way moments that are unnecessary.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I don't think of it as 1 million too much for Roy, though that is my stance, but more as 1 million too much period. The Stars aren't at the cap and probably won't be in the next season or so but they're going to spend money on defense soon. They can't let this crap continue even while hoping Dillon, Olesksiak, Nemeth, Larsen and others improve to the point there they don't have to focus on outside options. 2nd not this year but next year guys like Dillon, Eakin, Smith, etc are going to demand raises and I don't think Dallas wants to put itself in a position where they are on the edge of the cap limit.

One bad contract that overpays by 1-1.5 million per year shouldn't kill the team, even in a cap world but contracts like Getzlaf's new one push the numbers in a direction I don't think the Stars should go. Roy is a number two and I have a difficult time wrapping my brain around the fact that a number 2 costs 6+ million per year.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Troy McClure

I like Eakin, but it's very premature to slot him as the 2nd line center because of a nice start to one season.

I really hope the Stars pony up the cash for Roy. Whatever it is, it will feel like too much, but finding someone else to do what he does in free agency would be just as expensive. Contracts go up every season. It's the price of doing business.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:15 PM
ElGuapo
12-13 FGotG Champion

I'm not at all sold on Roy. He's solid and points are trickling in, but he is small, and he's not even fast and hasn't looked all that dynamic. Just not sure I want to roll with him at 2C long term. As much as I love Eakin, there's no way you can be sold on him as a #2C either yet. And I do want three good centers. Do we really want to go back to playing someone like Wandell at 2C when there's an injury? When it comes down to it I don't think there are going to be many good possibilities to replace Roy..so if that's the case I'm Ok with re-signing him.

ElGuapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:17 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I don't think of it as 1 million too much for Roy, though that is my stance, but more as 1 million too much period. The Stars aren't at the cap and probably won't be in the next season or so but they're going to spend money on defense soon. They can't let this crap continue even while hoping Dillon, Olesksiak, Nemeth, Larsen and others improve to the point there they don't have to focus on outside options. 2nd not this year but next year guys like Dillon, Eakin, Smith, etc are going to demand raises and I don't think Dallas wants to put itself in a position where they are on the edge of the cap limit.

One bad contract that overpays by 1-1.5 million per year shouldn't kill the team, even in a cap world but contracts like Getzlaf's new one push the numbers in a direction I don't think the Stars should go. Roy is a number two and I have a difficult time wrapping my brain around the fact that a number 2 costs 6+ million per year.
The previous #2 was Ribeiro, and no one had a problem, as far as I remember, paying him $5 million .... 5 years ago. It sucks ... but value increases over time. I said he'e be overpaid by $1 or $1.5 million based on your original projection of $5 million. In reality, he's not getting overpaid if the money is around $6.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I really hope the Stars pony up the cash for Roy. Whatever it is, it will feel like too much, but finding someone else to do what he does in free agency would be just as expensive. Contracts go up every season. It's the price of doing business.
Completely agree.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:11 PM
BigG44

Heika got some quotes out of Roy ... nothing earth shattering. Negotiations are on going, but GM Joe won't comment.

Seems like a guy that wants to be here.

Quote:
“Obviously, with the shoulder surgery right away, they wanted me to be at my best, and be here for a long time, so it shows they really care for the players,” he said. “It’s a great organization here, I like it here, so it’s just a matter of trying to get it done.”

Old
03-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Arkham32

this is from Hieka's article “Obviously, with the shoulder surgery right away, they wanted me to be at my best, and be here for a long time, so it shows they really care for the players,” he said. “It’s a great organization here, I like it here, so it’s just a matter of trying to get it done.”

He also did get paid 2.2 million during the lockout because of the surgery, hopefully Roy returns the favor to the Stars during the negotiations.

Arkham32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Arkham32

beat me to it lol

Arkham32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:45 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
What the **** 8.25/year for Getzlaf? Selanne and Koivu must be retiring.

Roy should get 4.75x3, maybe 4.
I agree with this. Could go a little over that, but then it's getting dicey and I'd be extremely hesitant.

Like Shady12, I'm not all that sold on him and I'm hesitant to lock him up long term. Just a matter of other options though. Or lack of. Still, not willing to overpay really.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 03-08-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: l
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

The Stars can't afford to let talent like Roy leave. After Ribeiro, Roy is the best UFA center available, he is going to get more than 3 years. If it takes 5 or 6 years to keep him, then they have to take that chance. The offense is keeping the team above water, and having 3 offensively capable centers is a big part of that. Same thing goes for bringing in the best UFA defenseman they can, this team has to bite the bullet and stop wasting the prime years of Benn, Eriksson, Lehtonen, etc.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Roy's a better player than Zajac but I don't want to pay him more than Benn. He's not better than Jamie...
I said this a month ago but I still feel the same. It's really difficult to compare what a RFA (Benn) is making on his contract to what a 29 year old UFA will make on his next contract. It really doesn't have a whole lot to do with who the better player is either. Roy has put in his time in the league and has earned UFA status. Even though they're both centers on the same team I doubt Benn's salary will determine Roy's offer from the Stars.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
john skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a 2 year deal @ $5.5-6m at the end of which he'll still be physically viable to command a lot of money for a long-term deal, provided he puts up a good performance. It's also more likely that the Stars will have Faksa ready to replace him.
Better to lock him up longer term and trade him if and when Faksa is ready.

I think 4 years at, yeah about 5.5 to 6

john skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:18 PM
BigG44

McKenzie says Dallas and Roy are far apart, and he could definitely be in play.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Roy probably want 7, Dallas offering 6.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:22 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
So it goes.

If he's turning down 6M...

Someone on the trade board proposed Roy + Robidas + Glennie for Grabovski + Gunnarsson. Toronto fans actually seemed to like it. I'd be down for that if it were possible.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Yeah I would be on that.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote