Getzlaf just signed an 8 year extension

Old
03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I agree. I was wrong. It's better to NOT have Getzlaf.
Oh I agree. There was no choice here. Ducks have to sign their franchise player. I just can't believe how much that costs. Thing is, does it hamper the team to sign guys like Ryan and Perry? Not sure but that is a lot of cheddar.

I guess this is the market price for a franchise centre in his prime.

It just irks me how much the owners whined about these deals and they still give them. Obviously that was a false argument.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:25 PM
gradeAducksfan

vCash: 500
I can see the Ducks offering the same contract to Perry. Let's hope he signs it!

gradeAducksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Hoped for less, but can't argue against it. People comparing it to pre-lockout deals have some serious homework left to be done. Getzlaf will probably get something close to $8M next year in actual salary. Might actually be a bit back-loaded. Parise gets $12M. Richards gets $12M. Crosby gets $12M starting next year. For the Ducks and for Getzlaf, the cap numbers don't matter much. There's little evidence out there saying it's a bad deal by any actual standard.

Can't say I wasn't hoping for less though. Not that I believed Perry was likely to stay before, but I think there's almost no chance he'll stay now.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

We still have $20 Million in cap space for next season according to cap geek, its fine.

If both Getzlaf and Perry were to leave, this franchise would be gone within three years. We have 0 centers and there is nothing in the free gent pool.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
gradeAducksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Hoped for less, but can't argue against it. People comparing it to pre-lockout deals have some serious homework left to be done. Getzlaf will probably get something close to $8M next year in actual salary. Might actually be a bit back-loaded. Parise gets $12M. Richards gets $12M. Crosby gets $12M starting next year. For the Ducks and for Getzlaf, the cap numbers don't matter much. There's little evidence out there saying it's a bad deal by any actual standard.

Can't say I wasn't hoping for less though. Not that I believed Perry was likely to stay before, but I think there's almost no chance he'll stay now.
Why do you believed Perry has no chance of signing?

Perry would be crazy if he doesn't sign the same deal (if offered).

Old
03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
It just irks me how much the owners whined about these deals and they still give them. Obviously that was a false argument.
I don't see that. I don't think anyone ever whined about a straight long-term deal for a team's franchise player. The whining was heavily (and rightfully) focused on 10+ year ridiculous-front-loading with little correlation between salary and cap hit.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:30 PM
High Glove

That's 12.8% of our salary cap. If Perry signs a similar deal, that'd be a quarter of our available cash on two players. Good players mind you, but still...

But when you think about it, we have a lot of good young/inexpensive talent. With Teemu coming off the books next season and that wealth of youth, it all kind of makes sense.

(But I still wouldn't be surprised to see Perry dealt.)

High Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DaDucks

Here's to the captain!
May he lead us to glory
Loyalty now paid

There's your haiku

DaDucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Getzy15

It worries me a bit that we haven't heard anything on Perry. You would think that if Murray offered 8.25 per to Getz that he would have done the same to Perry. I think if that is the case and Perry is holding out then he is crazy to think someone will give him more than 8.25

Getzy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

I'm very glad he'll be back. It's a lot of money, but we will see these kind of contracts pick up now that the max is at 8 years. Most of the people hating on his $ figures are going to **** their pants when they have to re-sign their own stars. Now I just hope it shakes down like it did a few years back with Perry signing a day or two later. I won't be holding my breath though.

Montanaheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeAducksfan View Post
I can see the Ducks offering the same contract to Perry. Let's hope he signs it!
I can't cause we will lose Ryan when he's UFA if he wants something comparable. Have you seen our cap space lately?

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeAducksfan View Post
Why do you believed Perry has no chance of signing?

Perry would be crazy if he doesn't sign the same deal (if offered).
That's the key - because he won't be offered the same deal. We can't afford to pay those two players a combined $16.5M. Zero chance, IMO.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
gradeAducksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Glove View Post
That's 12.8% of our salary cap. If Perry signs a similar deal, that'd be a quarter of our available cash on two players. Good players mind you, but still...

But when you think about it, we have a lot of good young/inexpensive talent. With Teemu coming off the books next season and that wealth of youth, it all kind of makes sense.

(But I still wouldn't be surprised to see Perry dealt.)
If Perry gets traded the chances of winning to cup go down to an 0% chance.

Ducks are going to have problems at the deadline.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:

I don't mean to pull the fire alarm here, but what do we do with only 14.5 mil of cap space left and we sign Perry to a similar deal? And we have Ryan to sign when he's UFA as well? So much for small market team and low budget Samuelies.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
gradeAducksfan

Quote:
That's the key - because he won't be offered the same deal. We can't afford to pay those two players a combined $16.5M. Zero chance, IMO.

So how can the Wild offer up those kind of contract then? Ducks can afford too!

Old
03-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
We still have $20 Million in cap space for next season according to cap geek, its fine.

If both Getzlaf and Perry were to leave, this franchise would be gone within three years. We have 0 centers and there is nothing in the free gent pool.
Cap geek says we have 14.5

http://capgeek.com/

Old
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

With paying Getz that much, I can only assume the new CBA was rather kind for Anaheim's finances

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bumperkisser

Quote:
i'd be surprised if he wasn't offered the same contract. i don't want 16.5 to be tied up between 2 players but what choice do we really have. perry's got a better resume than getzy IMO. but we obviously value getzy more

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:35 PM
PhoenyX

Love it with the way he has played this year. He's worth every penny and would have got a little more if he hit UFA status. 8.25 per year seems like a lot for a budget team like us, but we had no other choice.

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:36 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Cap geek says we have 14.5

http://capgeek.com/
Next season.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't mean to pull the fire alarm here, but what do we do with only 14.5 mil of cap space left and we sign Perry to a similar deal? And we have Ryan to sign when he's UFA as well? So much for small market team and low budget Samuelies.
We have been a middle of the road spending team the last few years without revenue sharing. With the new CBA we should qualify for some, and don't forget the cap is going to go up.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
rocsfeather
jump

Apparently Corey Perry is a lock to be traded to and or signed by 29 NHL franchises. Smh news world.

rocsfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
gradeAducksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
i'd be surprised if he wasn't offered the same contract. i don't want 16.5 to be tied up between 2 players but what choice do we really have. perry's got a better resume than getzy IMO. but we obviously value getzy more
So what... These guys are only 27 years old. In the next 5 years they could very well put up 500 point each.

Perry is one of the best in the league and this is the price that the Ducks will have to pay.

Old
Paul4587

Quote:

According to capgeek it's simply $8.25M every year. I'm not sure how accurate they will be this soon after the signing though.

Quote:
I can't cause we will lose Ryan when he's UFA if he wants something comparable. Have you seen our cap space lately?
Ryan has done absolutely nothing to justify asking for anything close to what Getzlaf is getting. If Zajac got $5.75M and Getzlaf is getting $8.25M Ryan is somewhere in the middle of those two, probably around $6.75 - $7M.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hockey Duckie

Holy crap that's a boatload of money. And then the salary cap drops down about another $6 million starting next year. Crazy. I hate to say this, but either it's goodbye Perry or goodbye Koivu-Teemu. Rest assured, Hiller is now going to be traded during the off-season. That's about a $4.5 mil savings there.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote