HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 10:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
One of the best parts of 'seeing what Tim Thomas did for Boston" was the previous year, the one Ed will remember more, is Tim Thomas sitting on the bench when we beat Boston.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:34 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Flyers overreacting to the previous year's cup winner again

Also, Bryz is a major part of the problem given his cap hit.
His salary sucks, pretty much everyone agrees on that. But you can't really blame this year on his play.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:36 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
His salary sucks, pretty much everyone agrees on that. But you can't really blame this year on his play.
Well he is paid to be one of the team's best players and he has a .9 save percentage. While the offense has rebounded, Bryz's save percentage has been below .88 the past 10 games. He is a major part of their struggles.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:36 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Flyers overreacting to the previous year's cup winner again

Also, Bryz is a major part of the problem given his cap hit.
Overreacting? I wouldn't say that, great goaltending wins cups. Quick and Thomas. Niemi > Leighton is the reason we lost. It's not the only way to win cups, but it helps a lot.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:44 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Overreacting? I wouldn't say that, great goaltending wins cups. Quick and Thomas. Niemi > Leighton is the reason we lost. It's not the only way to win cups, but it helps a lot.
This team always overreacts to the previous year. Before, the view was average goaltending could win (Detroit cup wins), that flipped. Another example is acquiring 3 right handed d to play on the right side this past offseason.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:07 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Well he is paid to be one of the team's best players and he has a .9 save percentage. While the offense has rebounded, Bryz's save percentage has been below .88 the past 10 games. He is a major part of their struggles.
I'm not saying he's been great. But he's probably played too much this year, and given how bad the Flyers defensive zone play has been, he has not been THE problem. Given better overall team defense, Bryz's stats would probably be at the least, respectable.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:25 AM

vCash: 50
Has he been sacked yet?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Not yet, he lives to coach another day. Seeing as he's out there during practice right now.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

You guys want Lavi sacked as bad as Isles fans want Capuano sacked.

03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Not yet, he lives to coach another day. Seeing as he's out there during practice right now.
so i guess its more of the same same..

followed by a presser after the Loss to Boston that goes like this: "we need to play our roles and continue to do the right things"..

/facepalm

Old
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Bahh, we don't want Capuano, if that's what you're implying.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I think he's a way better coach than Capuano. Lavy's losing the team though I think it's time to go in another direction. Like they say "coaches are hired to be fired" especially in the NHL.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Flashspec

Hey guys, long time fan and lurker using my friend's account. I wanted to know if Dallas Eakins has crossed anyone's mind here? He's an amazing coach from what I hear and has done very well with the Marlies. Had Carlyle not been available, he would've been the candidate for the Leafs. I realize he's probably still under contract with the Leafs, and the Flyers would need the their permission. Has anyone got any more information on him and if he would be a good candidate for our team?

Thanks.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:32 PM
kimmofan44

hartnell went out of his way to say the second wasn't lavy's fault yesterday even though he wasn't asked anything about the coach. usually when players start to stick up for a coach to the media its because they know that the take within the organization is of letting him go of things don't change.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
hartnell went out of his way to say the second wasn't lavy's fault yesterday even though he wasn't asked anything about the coach. usually when players start to stick up for a coach to the media its because they know that the take within the organization is of letting him go of things don't change.
Yeah I mentioned the same thing earlier in the thread..I thought it was a bit of a red flag no doubt.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I think he's a way better coach than Capuano. Lavy's losing the team though I think it's time to go in another direction. Like they say "coaches are hired to be fired" especially in the NHL.
You might be right, but there is at least a little evidence against that idea. Usually when a coach has lost his team players don't go out of their way to stick up for him after games.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
You might be right, but there is at least a little evidence against that idea. Usually when a coach has lost his team players don't go out of their way to stick up for him after games.
Yeah we don't know definitively whether he's lost the room or not but their inconsistent play seems to suggest they are not totally on board. It reminds me of Stevens a bit...the players liked Stevens but they didn't necessarily fully respect him because he wasn't preparing them properly in practice. They liked him but they certainly didn't go out of their way to play like they did. In Lavi's case I think it's a case of some being on board and some not....he's a demanding coach and I'm sure now his stern messages are getting old and his inability to adjust within games against tight checking teams despite his lack of personnel is probably getting old with the team too. I mean the bad line changes show lack of discipline.....

Old
03-08-2013, 07:27 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashspec View Post
Hey guys, long time fan and lurker using my friend's account. I wanted to know if Dallas Eakins has crossed anyone's mind here? He's an amazing coach from what I hear and has done very well with the Marlies. Had Carlyle not been available, he would've been the candidate for the Leafs. I realize he's probably still under contract with the Leafs, and the Flyers would need the their permission. Has anyone got any more information on him and if he would be a good candidate for our team?

Thanks.
I would really like that idea and that's coming from a Lavy fan. I like what he's done with the Marlies.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I didn't mean it like they don't like the guy anymore. I just think his message isn't getting through to them anymore.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Bahh, we don't want Capuano, if that's what you're implying.
Not even close to what I was implying. From what I read a lot of you are disgusted with Lavi. Just as Isles fans are with Capuano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Very true.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:48 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Not even close to what I was implying. From what I read a lot of you are disgusted with Lavi. Just as Isles fans are with Capuano.

Very true.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah, it sucks especially in this division. Torts is a good coach, DeBoer is a good coach, Bylsma is meh, but look at his team. Tough to get to the top in the atlantic.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I say keep Lavi and see how the team starts next season. If they underacheive again, fire him after 15 games.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Curufinwe

He needs to go. NJ and NYR are killing us in the past two seasons, and Lavy has no idea how to counter them.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I say keep Lavi and see how the team starts next season. If they underacheive again, fire him after 15 games.
Doesn't really make sense. Why fire a coach after 15 games, but not 48?

He's not adapting his style for the team. The guy has won a Cup, no one can take that away from him. However, the team he won the Cup with wasn't even close to the same makeup as this team. There you had a veteran team with hot goaltending. Hear you have a young team with mediocre goaltending. Lavi seems like the coach you bring in to put an already contending team over the top. That's what he was when he was first hired, and if we didn't have Leighton and possibly had a better 3rd pairing, he'd have another Cup to his name. But that team is gone, and we need someone that's going to develop our players into solid NHLers, not develop players to play all-out offense. When they're not falling into early goal deficits, they're blowing leads.

I honestly don't see Laviolette not finding a job elsewhere. I think if the team continues to fizzle, going separate ways at the end of this season might be the best option for both him and the team. He's still extremely young for an NHL coach and this will not be his last job in the NHL. There are teams he's probably more apt to coach than this current Flyers team. I really like the guy, but it's just not a good fit anymore. There's no need to call attention to it by dragging it on for a year and having a guillotine hang over the guy's head whenever there's a bad loss, just let him go with some dignity, because regardless of his shortcomings all coaches of poor teams in Philadelphia become scapegoats by the end of their tenure.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:52 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
Doesn't really make sense. Why fire a coach after 15 games, but not 48?

He's not adapting his style for the team. The guy has won a Cup, no one can take that away from him. However, the team he won the Cup with wasn't even close to the same makeup as this team. There you had a veteran team with hot goaltending. Hear you have a young team with mediocre goaltending. Lavi seems like the coach you bring in to put an already contending team over the top. That's what he was when he was first hired, and if we didn't have Leighton and possibly had a better 3rd pairing, he'd have another Cup to his name. But that team is gone, and we need someone that's going to develop our players into solid NHLers, not develop players to play all-out offense. When they're not falling into early goal deficits, they're blowing leads.

I honestly don't see Laviolette not finding a job elsewhere. I think if the team continues to fizzle, going separate ways at the end of this season might be the best option for both him and the team. He's still extremely young for an NHL coach and this will not be his last job in the NHL. There are teams he's probably more apt to coach than this current Flyers team. I really like the guy, but it's just not a good fit anymore. There's no need to call attention to it by dragging it on for a year and having a guillotine hang over the guy's head whenever there's a bad loss, just let him go with some dignity, because regardless of his shortcomings all coaches of poor teams in Philadelphia become scapegoats by the end of their tenure.
I think the most likely spot is Minnesota. He was on their shortlist before hiring Todd Richards, and they feel they are underacheiving (I didn't think they were as good as they thought they were, but who ever is). Can't imagine they'd miss out a second time, because Mike Yeo is on borrowed time.

Closed Thread