HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ducks Re-Sign Getzlaf extension [8 Years/$8.25 million AAV, NMC]

Old
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
Yup, insane overpayment. Remind me why we had the lockout again.

Big power forwards wear down faster than most. Good luck lugging that 6'4, 230lbs frame across 200' 5 years from now. In time, Ovie may look golden compared to this.
But this isn't why the lockout happened. The lockout happened because of artificially lowering cap hits with dummy years at the end of a long term contract. Also, mid-range players getting huge deals was a problem. Getzlaf isn't a mid-range player, he's a top centerman in the NHL.

People REALLY need to do some research. This deal is as legitimate as they come.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Wasn't he signing in Toronto this summer?

All jokes aside good for Getzlaf and Anaheim. Wonder what Perry will do now
No, Crosby was going to the Habs before Getzlaf came to the Leafs.

All jokes aside good for Getzlaf and Anaheim. Perry will get P A I D.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Well put.

Doesn't say much for Getzlaf's character that he wouldn't atleast give them a tiny bit of a discount to help them bring in other talent.

How do you know he didn't take a discount?

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Regal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Isn't this similar to e. Staals deal? Not sure what the fuzz is about.
I was thinking that too, and I would take Getzlaf over Staal. Though most people said Staal was overpaid when he got that contract.

It's probably a little higher than you'd want to pay, but he was going to get as good or better on the open market and they couldn't let him walk. Decent deal, but I could see Perry more likely to walk now, especially if that 9mil + rumour is true

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

This is outrageous

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
xECK29x

He probably would have gotten the same if he hit the market. Glad Anaheim locked him up.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
That's a lot of dough.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I like how everyone ignores the fact that Getzlaf is getting no more money over 8 years than most others, but also that Crosby's cap hit is so low because he's obsessed with 87 and he also has a contract with dummy years. His first 8 years he makes something like $86.4 million, which is obviously $20 million more than Getzlaf.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OCPenguin

That is an obscene amount of money for him. The hypocricy of the NHL owners and GMs are really starting to show - the ROR contract the Flames sent out with Colorado matching and now this one. Getzlaf is a very good player, but he certainly isn't worth this. It just drives salaries up even more in a year the cap is coming down.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
How do you know he didn't take a discount?
Because he is making 8.25 million a year. I am sure even most Ducks fans will agree he did not take a discount.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
This is not overpayment...this is similar to other UFA deals without the garbage years tacked on at the end.

Zetterberg was getting about $7.5M the first 8 years.
Kovalchuk was around $10M the first 8 years.
Weber is over $10M the first 8 years.
Richards is at $9.5M the first 7 years.
Parise/Suter are at $10M the first 8 years.

Getzlaf is getting less from this deal than Richards/Parise who I think are good comparables. The fact is he is 27, and he will still likely be an effective player at the end of the deal. The new CBA worked, the cap hit is around his actual value.
THIS

Were going to hear overpayment a lot more than we already do now. Were going to see real cap hits, for players, none of those wink wink deals that players retire at the end of to lower the cap hit.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:52 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
I like how everyone ignores the fact that Getzlaf is getting no more money over 8 years than most others, but also that Crosby's cap hit is so low because he's obsessed with 87 and he also has a contract with dummy years. His first 8 years he makes something like $86.4 million, which is obviously $20 million more than Getzlaf.
But this is why the lockout happened, don't you realize!

Some people just cannot be reasoned with. They decide something is true, and they won't come off it.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
That is an obscene amount of money for him. The hypocricy of the NHL owners and GMs are really starting to show - the ROR contract the Flames sent out with Colorado matching and now this one. Getzlaf is a very good player, but he certainly isn't worth this. It just drives salaries up even more in a year the cap is coming down.
The lockout happened because of the Kovalchuk contract, Luongo, Hossa, Brad Richards, Tyler Myers, Ehrhoff etc.

Front loaded contracts with huge signing bonuses.

Getzlaf deal is as legal as it gets. His cap hit is exactly the amount of years he will play.

It's not like Kovalchuk's contract where he makes 11M right now and then 1M 10 years from now to bring the cap to 6.6M.

Old
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
But this isn't why the lockout happened. The lockout happened because of artificially lowering cap hits with dummy years at the end of a long term contract. Also, mid-range players getting huge deals was a problem. Getzlaf isn't a mid-range player, he's a top centerman in the NHL.

People REALLY need to do some research. This deal is as legitimate as they come.
Quote for truth, the reason the appears* to be an overpayment on the face of it is the cap hit, in reality he will be making less cash than guys like Parise and Suter, who stretched out their deals using the old CBA.

This is actually proof the lockout DID work, at least in terms of these long cap circumventing contracts. Now if you want to sign a top-flight guy you will have to pay.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dirk41

There are only three players with higher cap hits. I know this is mitigated by the fact that teams can't do cap circumvention deals for 20 years, but, on the other hand, the cap is going down.

How much is Malkin worth? 12?

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
We have guys on ELCs. Lydman is on our third pairing or press box on most nights.
ELC's don't last eight years.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Puts him at 35 when it ends. That's a pretty good spot to let him walk if he's on the downturn by then.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
But this is why the lockout happened, don't you realize!

Some people just cannot be reasoned with. They decide something is true, and they won't come off it.
Yep. Some people just don't get it.

NHL doesn't care if Getzlaf makes 6.5M or 8.5M.

They don't want Getzlaf signing a 13 year contract worth 80M and then him not playing for the last 4 years and getting 70M on a 6.5M caphit.

I can't believe people don't get something as simple as this.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Will he look like Mr.Clean at the end of this contract?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
The lockout happened because of the Kovalchuk contract, Luongo, Hossa, Brad Richards, Tyler Myers, Ehrhoff etc.
It happened because the league wanted a bigger share of the pie (50% instead of 57%). These contracts were a secondary issue.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Quote for truth, the reason the appears* to be an overpayment on the face of it is the cap hit, in reality he will be making less cash than guys like Parise and Suter, who stretched out their deals using the old CBA.

This is actually proof the lockout DID work, at least in terms of these long cap circumventing contracts. Now if you want to sign a top-flight guy you will have to pay.
Exactly. This contract, if anything, shows the lockout was a success. Teams can't stack teams with stars on artificially lowered cap hits anymore, they actually have to pony up.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Boo hoo. You're just mad that Perry won't sign with the Pens because they can give him 9M.

Front loaded contracts with huge signing bonuses.

Getzlaf deal is as legal as it gets. His cap hit is exactly the amount of years he will play.

It's not like Kovalchuk's contract where he makes 11M right now and then 1M 10 years from now to bring the cap to 6.6M.
Do all those teams with these types of contract, get hit for the cap saving they had early on in the deal?

I remember seeing on TV with talking about the Luongo talk, that if traded, and retires with years left on the deal, the Van would actually be getting a cap hit of what they saved in the early years they had him.

Can anyone confirm this, if so, that great!

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Because he is making 8.25 million a year. I am sure even most Ducks fans will agree he did not take a discount.

What if he wanted $9M? Somebody would probably have paid him that in UFA.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sergei Berezin

They know the cap is going DOWN next year, right?

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Multiple times? So he has had more than 1 90 point season? I don't see one..? If he consistently misses 15 games a year, and ends up in the 70 point range, he isn't a 90 point player. Thats my opinion, yours is different, we will find out at the end of the year wont we? Im finished arguing semantics at this point, good debate though.
Nice. Moving the goal posts, I see.

Let me make this easy for you:

Since becoming Anaheim's #1 center he's played 420 games. This includes regular season and playoffs post-2006-2007. In that time he's had 431 points. This is including last season, where he had 57 points in 82 games. Take that one bad season away, and you've got 338 games with 374 points.

When you look at his overall production, it's very consistent. 1.06 PPG, 1.12, 1.05, 1.13. Now, apparently, you're trying to tell me that this doesn't matter. That, one bad season where he produced at a .70 pace trumps all of this, even though he's far exceeding that production right now at a 1.23 pace(which, admittedly, is above his average, but a hell of a lot closer to where you'd expect him than .70).

Combine this level of offense with a very good playoff record, and the sheer physical talent and strength he can bring to the table, and you'll forgive me if I think you just don't have a clue when it comes to Getzlaf.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote