HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All-Encompassing Call-ups Thread (4/29: Thomas, 9 others recalled to NYR)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2013, 10:12 AM
  #401
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,486
vCash: 500
This team needs guys like Lucic, Chris Neil, Steve Ott, Ryane Clowe (when he was younger.)

Not guys like John Scott, Eric Boulton, Colton Orr, or Stu Pickles.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:13 AM
  #402
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Okay, then forget about the exaggeration as far as 3 shootouts go. How is:

"Dress a guy who can't play hockey, but can beat people up and look scary, yet despite all that won't stop your players from getting run."

Any different then:

"Dress a guy who can't play hockey but has a great shot and dekes well, so he can give them an edge if there is a shootout."

Both statements are absurd.

It's not the Lucics of the NHL I have a problem with. It's the John Scotts. The difference being Lucic can do everything Scott can, oh and he's a first line winger on top of that. I know Lucic type players do not grow on trees but then settle for a Brandon Prust. Anything but a John Scott. We had our guy in Sauer and it's a damn shame what happened to him, but Stu ****ing Bickel isn't the answer. Michael Haley is a step in the right direction.
The league is going in that direction, however I have not seen a better way for teams to seriously stick up for themselves.

Look no further than Orr knocking out Fedoruk when he was on the Flyers. Before that the Flyers were running everyone every game.

Same goes for Scott this year knocking out Thornton after the Bruins taking runs at the Sabres for years.

I understand the want to get those players out of the game, but the players in the room feel better knowing the have the toughest guy on the ice night-in and night-out. It's a comfort feeling knowing you have a "big brother" with you if **** goes south.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
  #403
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Since we're talking about goons here, IDK how you can say that Bickel isn't useless. Plays 4 minutes a night, takes a dumb penalty in his miniscule TOI, then celebrates with the team as if the win had anything to do with him. Can they just waive him now?
This. Hate goons. Like Haley for what that's worse. He actually made a move at the blueline, AND he'll stick up for himself and his teammates. You need to be able to play first.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
  #404
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
This team needs guys like Lucic, Chris Neil, Steve Ott, Ryane Clowe (when he was younger.)

Not guys like John Scott, Eric Boulton, Colton Orr, or Stu Pickles.
I don't think anyone would argue with you there. Although Bickel is a good depth player to have on the roster who can play forward or defense on a pinch. He makes minimal money and can throw down if need be. Not sure why people hate Bickel so much. Oddly cult-like.

Also, the league is slowly moving in that direction but as long as some teams employ a guy who will run around taking runs at people, other teams will try and deter that through force.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:18 AM
  #405
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I don't think anyone would argue with you there. Although Bickel is a good depth player to have on the roster who can play forward or defense on a pinch. He makes minimal money and can throw down if need be. Not sure why people hate Bickel so much. Oddly cult-like.
I just think he's horrible. His skating is some of the worst I've seen, he's completely useless on defense, as in, a traffic cone would be a better option. Joe Vitale FLEW by him. Yes, Pittsburgh's 4th liner Joe Vitale. I guess he doesn't do that much damage at forward, but I didn't see him forechecking particularly well either. I don't want useless goons on this team. Getting rid of Rupp (even though he used to be serviceable,) was a good start. We need more Daroll Powe's on the fourth line. And less Bickel.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:25 AM
  #406
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
I just think he's horrible. His skating is some of the worst I've seen, he's completely useless on defense, as in, a traffic cone would be a better option. Joe Vitale FLEW by him. Yes, Pittsburgh's 4th liner Joe Vitale. I guess he doesn't do that much damage at forward, but I didn't see him forechecking particularly well either. I don't want useless goons on this team. Getting rid of Rupp (even though he used to be serviceable,) was a good start. We need more Daroll Powe's on the fourth line. And less Bickel.
Vitale is a good skater actually.

He is what he is. He will play 4-5 minutes a night wherever he plays. With the injuries so far this season he has seen more time than I am sure Torts wants but that is life in the NHL.

He skates better than many heavyweights the Rangers have had in the past.

And I am not saying I like Bickel. I of course would rather have a Chris Neil or Kyle Clifford on the 3rd/4th line. I have been calling for the Rangers to add MORE of those types of players in recent years. Tootoo. Konopka. Guys who can skate and provide some toughness while playing in other situations like the PK.

Unfortunately the Rangers din't sign any of those guys and they let Prust go. Bickel serves his role for now. Upgradeable? Absolutely.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:45 AM
  #407
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,486
vCash: 500
I think Bickel playing 3:46 in a 3OT game is very telling. That was just pathetic. And it's not like he deserved any more. Our top guys, whether defense or forwards, get burned because there's a useless pylon playing 4 minutes per game. And IIRC, Stew Pickles was playing defense then, which makes it even worse.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:48 AM
  #408
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
I think Bickel playing 3:46 in a 3OT game is very telling. That was just pathetic. And it's not like he deserved any more. Our top guys, whether defense or forwards, get burned because there's a useless pylon playing 4 minutes per game. And IIRC, Stew Pickles was playing defense then, which makes it even worse.
Teams can't stockpile depth players in a cap world. Just a fact. The Rangers should have traded for a #6 d-man but the price was obviously too high. I agree, that was unacceptable. That is why he should be the #8 d-man and #14 forward.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:11 AM
  #409
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,877
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The rangers last had no team toughness was under John Muckler and they were run out f the building nightly they even allowed the great #99 to be hit and run. Bickel is ar from great or even good but he serves a purpose. Youbdontlikebhim in the line up wait till he is gone and we play Boston, islanders , Toronto and a few others then you will ***** we don't have a enforcer

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:15 AM
  #410
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Teams can't stockpile depth players in a cap world. Just a fact. The Rangers should have traded for a #6 d-man but the price was obviously too high. I agree, that was unacceptable. That is why he should be the #8 d-man and #14 forward.
Chicago seems to have a plethora of depth players. Boston actually has hockey players on their 4th line. We cannot have Stu Pickles being our 7th defenseman. And he should not even be a semi-regular forward.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:16 AM
  #411
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The rangers last had no team toughness was under John Muckler and they were run out f the building nightly they even allowed the great #99 to be hit and run. Bickel is ar from great or even good but he serves a purpose. Youbdontlikebhim in the line up wait till he is gone and we play Boston, islanders , Toronto and a few others then you will ***** we don't have a enforcer
We just played the isles and he was useless.

Fighting cheap shot artists doesn't deter them from their antics. And staged fights are the most pointless thing in hockey.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
  #412
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
We just played the isles and he was useless.

Fighting cheap shot artists doesn't deter them from their antics. And staged fights are the most pointless thing in hockey.
You mean Stu Pickles didn't change the outcome of a game in his 4 minutes of ice time? Oh right, no goon will ever do that.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:24 AM
  #413
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The rangers last had no team toughness was under John Muckler and they were run out f the building nightly they even allowed the great #99 to be hit and run. Bickel is ar from great or even good but he serves a purpose. Youbdontlikebhim in the line up wait till he is gone and we play Boston, islanders , Toronto and a few others then you will ***** we don't have a enforcer
This is a never ending argument. The argument is semi valid if we were discussing someone who actually fought or could move quickly enough to land hits. Bickel does neither, and I don't even think you would argue that he adds any value as an actual hockey player.

If he is on the roster come playoff time we have a problem.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:51 AM
  #414
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Chicago seems to have a plethora of depth players. Boston actually has hockey players on their 4th line. We cannot have Stu Pickles being our 7th defenseman. And he should not even be a semi-regular forward.
Chicago has a bunch of cheap depth players they have developed. They didn't have to trade away 3-4 pieces for 1 player. That is why they have all of those depth players.

Boston's 4th line has one of the best enforcers in terms of actual hockey play in Shawn Thornton. Of course they look better than the Rangers 4th line. They have also been playing together for years which helps. Campbell is a very good, underrated player as well.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:53 AM
  #415
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
You mean Stu Pickles didn't change the outcome of a game in his 4 minutes of ice time? Oh right, no goon will ever do that.
The fact that people use the name "Stu Pickles" is beyond annoying. You literally go out of your way to show your entire bias right there. Well done.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
  #416
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The fact that people use the name "Stu Pickles" is beyond annoying. You literally go out of your way to show your entire bias right there. Well done.
Yep, I'm definitely the only person to use that name on this board. Get real. I'm "biased" because he's a terrible hockey player. Not because his last name rhymes with "Pickle."

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
  #417
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
having Bickel on the NYR roster proves something
Rangers have depth issues..


how does Bickel who has the skills of an ECHL player continue to play in the NHL...


id rather give Andrew Yogan or Jason Wilson a shot on the 4th line if they want a tough guy with some potential...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:42 PM
  #418
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,298
vCash: 500
Having an enforcer in the lineup prevents our stars from being run head-first into the boards by cheap-shot artists. You guys need to realize that already.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
  #419
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Having an enforcer in the lineup prevents our stars from being run head-first into the boards by cheap-shot artists. You guys need to realize that already.
Anyone could play the opposite card and say if that happens when an "enforcer" is in the line-up, what would happen if they weren't. Of course no one has the answer to either.

I should note that I am not a fan of the "enforcer" but more of team toughness and having the ability to stand up for yourself and your teammates.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:03 PM
  #420
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The fact that people use the name "Stu Pickles" is beyond annoying. You literally go out of your way to show your entire bias right there. Well done.
For the record, I started calling him that last year (not that I was the first, it's just a natural thing to call someone with his name) and will continue to call him that, regardless of how well he plays. It's a funny name, I'd lighten up a little bit.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
  #421
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The rangers last had no team toughness was under John Muckler and they were run out f the building nightly they even allowed the great #99 to be hit and run. Bickel is ar from great or even good but he serves a purpose. Youbdontlikebhim in the line up wait till he is gone and we play Boston, islanders , Toronto and a few others then you will ***** we don't have a enforcer
I'm all for team toughness, especially in the Atlantic, but I'd prefer to have someone who can BOTH play hockey and act as a deterrent. Guys like Scott and Bickel are too one-dimensional, and in a 48 game sprint you can't have someone on the bench 55 minutes a game. The defense is gassed as is.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
  #422
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,540
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Zenith why didn't they let Bickel fight Finley last night? Finley hit Bickel and ran and hid behind the linesman...
Couldn't even tell you, it sucked. The linesman have been doing this lately. Would have been a nice fight.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
  #423
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Anyone could play the opposite card and say if that happens when an "enforcer" is in the line-up, what would happen if they weren't. Of course no one has the answer to either.

I should note that I am not a fan of the "enforcer" but more of team toughness and having the ability to stand up for yourself and your teammates.
There is nary a poster here that isn't for team toughness and sticking up for each other. I love that. However the perpetuation of the myth that an enforcer stops Patrick Kaletta from boarding Richards needs to stop.

Time and time again stars are injured by ******** and the only price they pay is in the wallet. Which, to millionare athletes, is a joke. No to mention the man games lost by these ******** hardly affects their team because most or them cannot even play hockey well enough that an AHL call-up can't fill their minutes.

It's a problem with league discipline more than anything.

__________________
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
  #424
McDunna with Fries
Registered User
 
McDunna with Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
What's the rule on jersey numbers? Wasn't Mashinter wearing #40 when he was called up? Can Hamrlik just hijack his number like that?

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM
  #425
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
What's the rule on jersey numbers? Wasn't Mashinter wearing #40 when he was called up? Can Hamrlik just hijack his number like that?
its not Mashinter's number anymore once you get sent down to the AHL.. once you are off of the roster, the number becomes available...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.