HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Praise From a Bruins Fan + Marchand\Julien Comments (See post #77)

Old
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever View Post
Fair enough to those that don't want "pity". I would have made a thread on your board at some point anyways because I see all the crap you guys take on the boards, and I honestly think your team is vastly improved, and have a legit shot at doing some damage in the playoffs this year. I really like seeing another team that plays a similar style of hockey to Boston. For a while, it seemed like the tough and physical style hockey I love so much was going away, and it's nice to see another team that doesn't take any crap, and can throw down with the best of them.

I actually enjoy the Leafs, and I like your team more than anybody but Boston. No offense meant, so sorry if anybody took it the wrong way.

I found out I got tickets to the game on March 23rd, so I'm looking forward to the next one as well!
There is no need to apologize for complementing the Leafs on their improvement this season.

Unfortunately our Leafs have been among the doormats of the NHL for the past 4 to 5 years so its a sensitive matter (which is not your fault), as mocking was the norm. The Bruins manhandled the Leafs in the past and it was to the point of embarrassment really when you lose 8-0 and 7-1 etc.

I for one enjoy the praise, because it shows signs of improvement in our team as being witnessed through impartial/unbiased eyes when it comes sincerely from an opponents. Our Leafs have a new identity this season and its one built to compete against teams like the Bruins. It should make Leaf fans proud of their achievement and enjoyment at them appearing to turn a page towards a team that many teams can no longer push around at will.

03-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4680
This is also relevant to the topic at hand, and I did not see a thread on it, so feel free to discuss.

Claude Julien (Bruins head coach) says:

Quote:
“You just have to look at the game last night (a 5-4 win over Ottawa),” Julien said following his team’s morning skate in advance of tonight’s contest at the TD Garden. “They’ve done a good job with that team. They’ve definitely tightened up their game. I’m one of those guys who believe they are a legit contender.”
Brad Marchand says:

Quote:
“Different coach, different management, it looks like they have a whole new mentality over there,” Bruins forward Brad Marchand said. “It looks like they have a lot of confidence right now.

“They’re a tough team because they definitely work hard and are very physical. They are buying into their system.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/07...-claude-julien

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Yeah, I understand the guy is just trying to be nice but I hate threads like these. As if the Bruins are some almighty team that to even be competitive against them is some sort of consolation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Exactly.
The man is talking about how much improvement the Leafs have made since last season. In no place does he say that competing agaisnt the Bruins makes us a great team.

Nice try though.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
Like I said man, half their team is friggin canadian! With a good amount of them in a radius not to far from Toronto, its hilarious.

they could go 80%/90%/100% against Pitts,Rangers,Ottawa,Philly,Was,Tampa.... but turn it up to 150% against the leafs. Thats why homegrown canadian talent will always outway the latter. Canadian boys know the history behind the leafs.

And that was our 3rd game in 4 nights with a back to back. The fact it was as close as it was with the leafs falling just short makes me question the bruins. They are not the same team that blew us out of the water 6-0, 7-0 or whatever last year.
Or maybe WE aren't the same team they blew out of the water last year.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:13 PM
LeafsJaysRaptors
Rookie User

Brad Marchand says:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/07...-claude-julien[/QUOTE]

Not to be argumentative but how many Leaf fans actually give a damn what Brad Marchand says haha

LeafsJaysRaptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:20 PM
goonx

People forget that Boston is a very very good team. In the past 5 years: made the playoffs, won the stanley cup, core of young players.

They had a 6 game winning streak prior to losing to montreal (1st in the east) and Caps (which they should have won). They are arguably the best team in the east this year (33 pts in 3 games less than pens and habs)

tough loss but I agree with the OP. Let's see how our remaining games play out.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:31 PM
SteveV*

Omg we lost the game, this is sad we need pats on the heads from a real cup contender. Embarrassing.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Sergei Berezin

What are Julien and Marchand supposed to say?

We're a **** team? Of course they're gonna praise us. It's never a good idea to put a team down before a game.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post

We're a **** team? Of course they're gonna praise us. It's never a good idea to put a team down before a game.
Sports cliches lol. "we won the battles we needed to." , "it was a hard fought game" or "we played hard and came away with 2 points" would all be acceptable.

I sure hope Crosby talks about how much improved the Leafs are if they beat us on Saturday!

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I just cant stand pity. Leafs lost and do not deserve compliments from a Bruins fan who has got to enjoy hammering the Leafs for the past few years.
The leafs were 6-4-2 vs. the bruins in the two seasons prior to last season.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post

Yeah, I remember all the praise they gave us after they delivered 8-0 and 7-1 beatdowns on us.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:48 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I watched the game last night, and was pretty impressed with the effort your boys put in. Obviously Kessel and Dion have their shortcomings, but there is a lot to like on your team. I can't get enough of Kadri... kid is an absolute stud. Just imagine had he came up a year or two ago, and been given a legit chance? He has #1 centre written all over him.

I also wanted to say that I know it can't be very fun watching Boston over the past few years, but I watch a lot of Leafs games, and you guys are finally turning a corner. There will, and I stand by it fully, be playoffs in Toronto this year. Also, I definitely like the Leafs fans on this board far more than our "friends" in Vancouver and Montreal.

Good game last night boys, and it's being shown pretty clearly to me, that no longer will the games Boston plays against you guys be a rollover. You guys definitely came to play last night, and as a fan of hockey in general, it makes it a much better game to watch.

Cheers,
Good observations especially the short comings of Kessel and Phaneuf, the Leafs will never compete with upper crust teams in the NHL with them as the leaders of this team. Marchand owned Phaneuf all night long and Kessel wasn't interested in having the puck at all, you could see the fear and his only thought was Self Preservation. Your kind with your observations but in a seven game series it would not be pretty for the Leafs, the Bruins would enforce their will and the series would be short lived.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:55 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJaysRaptors View Post

Not to be argumentative but how many Leaf fans actually give a damn what Brad Marchand says haha[/QUOTE]

Kind of Marchand after he kicked Dion's ass every time they engaged in a battle for the puck.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Or maybe WE aren't the same team they blew out of the water last year.
Haha, yea that too!

Felstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:34 PM
jimmycarter

now that we can actually compete with boston in toughness...i dont dislike them as much. i just wish kessel would the tyler vs phil comparison a little less one sided when they play.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Omg we lost the game, this is sad we need pats on the heads from a real cup contender. Embarrassing.
It's not like we flooded over to the Bruins board begging for approval. The guy was just trying to give us an outside perspective, perhaps in the hope that it might loosen the asscheeks of some people around here who so desperately need that stick to fall out.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:51 PM
mikeo1

If you want to compliment the Leafs, you should send them a letter. We're just fans here, and this thread is weird.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:56 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

man some people have trouble taken a compliment.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:59 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
man some people have trouble taken a compliment.
I thought you had transmogrified into a Bruins fan? Why are you still here?

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Yeah, I remember all the praise they gave us after they delivered 8-0 and 7-1 beatdowns on us.

I'm not sure I buy the praise. There is still much thank you kessel gloating.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:10 PM
stavs

it simply doesnt make sense how we can beat the habs and the habs can beat the bruins but we cannot beat the bruins. I dont understand it one bit. I think there is a big mental factor when it comes to playing these guys because everytime we do, we also come out flat or just plain suck. If we could actually play against them like we do against other teams, I think we could easily win a couple of matches during regular season

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:11 PM
MakeTheIronSing

I don't really understand what people expect the Bruins to say?

Should the entire Bruins universe give a universally broadcasted b**w**b to the Carlton the Bear or something?

Is this actually something to discuss?

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:14 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Holy crap people really?

Dude, thank you for the compliments. Both teams looked good. I'd say I wish you luck but honestly I hope that someone runs Seguin through the freakin boards. Guy is a legitimate Buds Killer.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Adversary

It's hard for me to hate Boston, as they pretty much have the exact team I want the Leafs to become

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
+1

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote