HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
zarley zelepukin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
You clearly don't understand, they don't make stats to show how bad our defense is. Forget about all of the studies that show shot quality is pretty constant from team to team over the course of an NHL season, forget the fact that shots on goal and scoring chances have a high correlation and that scoring chances have a high correlation to goal-scoring, you need to throw all the stats out the window.

The fact of the matter is that the Flyers defense is a statistical anomaly. It's probably the worst defense ever assembled in the history of hockey at any level, NHL, AHL, ECHL, OHL, QMJHL, Pee-Wee, etc. They give up more shots from prime goal-scoring areas than any other team has ever given up. In fact, there's some teams that give up less prime goal scoring opportunities in 10 years than the Flyers have thus far in this one lockout shortened season. On any other team in the NHL, Ilya Bryzgalov is posting at minimum a .930 save %. More than likely it'd be closer to .970, maybe even 1.000. The point is, Ilya Bryzgalov is clearly the MVP of the Flyers and to be honest, he's easily #1 on my list of Vezina candidates. He'd probably be #1 on my Hart Trophy candidates list too if it weren't for this historically bad defense costing us all of these games.
So you're saying there's no chance that the data compiled over a period of a couple years (I believe) and looking at 30 teams doesn't apply in this instance to one team over about 25 games? Doesn't that qualify as a pretty small sample?

Is there a site that keeps track of scoring chances? I realize that they generally correspond with shots on goal, which makes sense. But I imagine the Flyers games this season are not a significant sample size to be sure that's happening. I'd just like to see the scoring chance numbers but can't seem to find them.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Bob was probably the future in net....if he wasnt rushed to the NHL so quickly and outsted because we signed Bryz to a career contract. That year after the 2010 run was when Jeff Carter should have been moved for a goalie (yes, I know that would mean we wouldn't have Couturier/Voracek). Carter had a lot of value. He was expendable with Giroux coming into his own and could have brought in a #1 goalie while we also had Bob waiting in the wings. Wasn't Halak available that summer? Habs needed size down the middle and we needed a goalie in net. We were the perfect trading partners.

I think that could have worked out, but since we ended up losing Pronger, we would still be ****ed, but at least we wouldn't have traded away our up-and-coming goalie to make room for Bryz. I'm not saying Bryz sucks. He's in a pretty ****** situation right now and is signed to a terrible contract, but if Homer was smart, Bryz would never have been signed to play for this team and Bob would still be on this team

Old
03-08-2013, 01:20 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
using the argument that he stepped up & bailed them out , like everybody here wants to see around here, is "pretty low" ?
OK, i get it: pointing out that he does well is "pretty low" to some around here.

ok, whatever. have a nice rest of the season.
No, it's pretty low to argue that he had a good game based on one PK when he was clearly average or worse for the rest of it. If Bryz had actually "stepped up and bailed them out" then he wouldn't have let up 4 goals in two periods. When good goalies step up and bail their team out, their team usually wins.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
No, it's pretty low to argue that he had a good game based on one PK when he was clearly average or worse for the rest of it. If Bryz had actually "stepped up and bailed them out" then he wouldn't have let up 4 goals in two periods. When good goalies step up and bail their team out, their team usually wins.

again: the '4 goals and we lost = bad goalie' Negadelphia theory.
which goals vs Bryz were "bad goals" vs PITT ? please tell me which ones were his fault ?

because of the 9 goals last night, i find only 1 was a "bad goal" [clearly the goalie's fault] : Kimmo's.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:38 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
76 goalies have played time in the NHL this year. Bryz ranks 50th in save percentage.

How can you possibly defend him as an overall strong performing goaltender at this point?

He had a great start to the season; regardless of the excuses, his play has been terrible for weeks.

03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
again: the '4 goals and we lost = bad goalie' Negadelphia theory.
which goals vs Bryz were "bad goals" vs PITT ? please tell me which ones were his fault ?

because of the 9 goals last night, i find only 1 was a "bad goal" [clearly the goalie's fault] : Kimmo's.
I think two he had basically no shot with (the two that bounced off our d-men). The Dupuis goal was maybe preventable if he stayed upright the whole time, but clearly more about the defense not protecting the area around the net. The Kennedy goal he obviously didn't see, but I think he could have done a better job of finding it. I'm pretty sure he saw the pass going into the middle of the ice, so I think he could have Kennedy shooting by looking around the screen in front.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
76 goalies have played time in the NHL this year. Bryz ranks 50th in save percentage.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

Post it all you want, it doesn't change the fact that, once again, Bryz failed to make a big save at a big time and it cost the team at least a point. One big save is all that's needed. He hasn't been keeping the team in games for quite a while now.

03-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
The Dupuis goal was maybe preventable if he stayed upright the whole time, but clearly more about the defense not protecting the area around the net.
ok, so that's 3 goals not on Bryz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
The Kennedy goal he obviously didn't see, but I think he could have done a better job of finding it.
i'm sorry .. he made A GREAT POKE CHECK [for those who say he never does] and never saw Kennedy:

if you want to blame him for not being able to see him through 1 to 3 players, we will just havta disagree

Old
03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
ok, so that's 3 goals not on Bryz.

i'm sorry .. he made A GREAT POKE CHECK [for those who say he never does] and never saw Kennedy:

if you want to blame him for not being able to see him through 1 to 3 players, we will just havta disagree
And 2 of them being Flyers players no less.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

I see we're back to dissecting every single minute detail of every single goal to proclaim that Bryz isn't at fault, while ignoring the big picture.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I see we're back to dissecting every single minute detail of every single goal to proclaim that Bryz isn't at fault, while ignoring the big picture.
That the team can't win and help him out at the same time?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
That he can't help out the team if they aren't winning. It's rare that he does.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:19 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
.899 svptg and 2.9 GAA and under 10 goals in 22 games to blame on him ??????

Why do we keep trying ?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:21 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The team was bad, but did their part for 20 mins and scored 4 goals, that should of been enough for 1 point.

But give Bryz another pass and **** on team cause they didnt once again score 6 goals.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
That he can't help out the team if they aren't winning. It's rare that he does.
With how disoriented and how often the Flyers turn over pucks in their own zone this season, it's really not that surprising for this season. Bryz has let some really weak goals go through this year, I will give you that. But I feel that it hasn't been as much as Bryz causing us to lose this year, as it is more the consistency of the whole team around him has become a huge factor. Some days (hell, some periods), the Flyers just lose interest and get stuck in their own zone and cough up the puck constantly.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:25 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:

He's paid to stop pucks. This season he stops less than 9 of every 10 that come his way (and even he he made $500K, a sub-0.500 save percentage sucks).

Picking out random saves, like a poke check that finally worked, doesn't make up for the fact that his entire body of work this season has been unacceptable.

You can pick a scapegoat on all indvidual plays, but when a cumulative total shows a disturbing trend, you can't ignore the stats.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

We are not going to buy out Bryz so let's get a top dman and a capable backup FINALLY. I don't know wth is taking them so long. We've had this problem since Pronger got hurt. We tried to get Weber but was there no plan B?

Old
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
The team was bad, but did their part for 20 mins and scored 4 goals, that should of been enough for 1 point.
bingo !!! there you go.

give them a pass, when they got outworked for 2/3 of the game, shot 1 puck into our net & allowed 2 other guys to score undefended. brilliant !

only in Philly

Old
LegionOfDoom91

We can sit here going back and forth all day. Fact is Bryz needs to be better. An .899 save percentage is unacceptable for a guy being paid top 5 money for his position.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Bros Pizza View Post
We are not going to buy out Bryz so let's get a top dman and a capable backup FINALLY. I don't know wth is taking them so long. We've had this problem since Pronger got hurt.
There's a pretty good chance they buy out Bryz, if only due to the albatross contract.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
He's paid to stop pucks. This season he stops less than 9 of every 10 that come his way (and even he he made $500K, a sub-0.500 save percentage sucks).

Picking out random saves, like a poke check that finally worked, doesn't make up for the fact that his entire body of work this season has been unacceptable.

You can pick a scapegoat on all indvidual plays, but when a cumulative total shows a disturbing trend, you can't ignore the stats.
You can't ignore the stats either. He has been defending Bryz non stop in this thread approaching 8000 posts! He is not going to give up now!

Old
03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
bingo !!! there you go.

give them a pass, when they got outworked for 2/3 of the game, shot 1 puck into our net & allowed 2 other guys to score undefended. brilliant !

only in Philly
The team is bad. So is Bryz.

It's not a mutually exclusive scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
You can't ignore the stats either. He has been defending Bryz non stop in this thread approaching 8000 posts! He is not going to give up now!

Fair enough.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
.899 svptg and 2.9 GAA and under 10 goals in 22 games to blame on him ??????

Why do we keep trying ?
I tried to give him every benefit of the doubt for as long as I could, but it's too much at this point. It's been too much for over a week.

Bryz has played about 10 months worth of hockey for the Flyers. He has been consistently good for 1.5 months. So...about 6 weeks out of 40. Excuse the deafening roar of my underwhelmedness.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
He's paid to stop pucks.
the d is paid to block shots, not make turnovers, not give up breakaways ---- the offense is paid to block shots, not make turnovers, not give up breakaways & score goals & not miss wide open nets ...... yea, we know all that .....

so, which goals vs Bryz were "bad goals" vs PITT ? please tell me which ones were his fault ?

surely this is an easy question.

Closed Thread