HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ducks Re-Sign Getzlaf extension [8 Years/$8.25 million AAV, NMC]

Old
03-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
It's a fair deal. Anyone that thinks he fleeced the Ducks should consider that he's getting paid in 8 years is $2M less than what Weber is making in 5
I dont mind the $8+ million.. It's the 8 years that's going to kill them.

I believe in taking care of your own players. Teams that do this, generally are better teams, long term. Having said that, Getzlaf's style of play just would scare me outta signing him to an 8 year deal.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:18 PM
zeus3007*

Not surprising. If the Ducks were sucking it up like last year, I would certainly expect him to test free agency, but with a contending team that he likes offering him what he`s worth, its a no-brainer.

I wonder if Perry is next? It would surely make free agency less interesting this summer.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
He was going to anyway. With the new rules, no way Malkin was going to sign for $64 million or so when many lesser players get that. He was and will be getting paid either way.
True

Old
03-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Trelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
But this isn't why the lockout happened. The lockout happened because of artificially lowering cap hits with dummy years at the end of a long term contract. Also, mid-range players getting huge deals was a problem. Getzlaf isn't a mid-range player, he's a top centerman in the NHL.
In general, nearly all long-term deals are bad for clubs. We know something of this in Van, though I think it can be justified for D men and goalies given the reactive nature of their positions. Forwards must be proactive. Odds are Getzlaf's production will be mid-range not long from now.

I suspect the drop-off trend is even more pronounced for big men.

Last edited by Trelane: 03-08-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Love

Terrible deal for the Ducks

Love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post

I believe in taking care of your own players. Teams that do this, generally are better teams, long term. Having said that, Getzlaf's style of play just would scare me outta signing him to an 8 year deal.
Maybe they could've gotten away with 5 or 6 years, but still a lot of it is going towards keeping Perry too. Plus you can't be afraid of what might happen 6-7 years from now or else you'll never get anywhere.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Center Ice Scrum

For $8.25 mil/yr, I'm happy its not the Leafs stuck with Getzlaf. He's a fine player and all but neither he nor Perry are worth $8.25 mil/yr. Only players making north of $7.5-8 mil/yr are the superstars/ elite players in the league (Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos). 2nd tier players (like Getzlaf, Perry, Kessel, Staal, Tavares) should be capped off at $6.5-7 mil/yr. Some of these GMs are ****ing moronic. They set ridiculously lopsided market prices and then ***** about how their star players are making too much money?

I really hope Perry re-signs with the Ducks, because if my Leafs sign him at $8 mil/yr + I will be pissed off. Looking at past trends though, Leafs probably won't even bother calling Perry's agent if the price is that high. For good reason I guess.

Center Ice Scrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
The lockout happened because of the Kovalchuk contract, Luongo, Hossa, Brad Richards, Tyler Myers, Ehrhoff etc.

Front loaded contracts with huge signing bonuses.

Getzlaf deal is as legal as it gets. His cap hit is exactly the amount of years he will play.

It's not like Kovalchuk's contract where he makes 11M right now and then 1M 10 years from now to bring the cap to 6.6M.
The point being, Getzlaf isn't an 8-million dollar player. It just drives up the cost for like players even more. I'm not saying its illegal, I'm staying its irresponsible.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:

He's only had a couple semi-major injuries, one being a freak accident, and the other having more to do with their playoff chances being eliminated(was just shut down for the end of the 2010 season), so I'm not too worried. He plays a rough style of play, but so do many others, and they've been fine.

If 8 years is a concern, then what about the 10+ deals everyone else was getting in the old CBA? Even if they play less physical, that's much more of a risk.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
In general, nearly all long-term deals are bad for clubs. We know something of this in Van, though I think it can be justified for D men and goalies given the reactive nature of their positions. Forwards must be proactive. Odds are Getzlaf's production will be mid-range not long from know.

That chart is flawed. It doesn't take into account the caliber of said players. A lot of average players peak offensively at age 26, 27. They end up playing only 4-5 years in the NHL.

Get me a list showing players with 3 70+ point seasons or more and their career production, and then maybe I'll buy into it.

03-08-2013, 02:22 PM
James Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Oh man Ducks just owned. Getzslaf making Crosby/Malkin money???
He's scoring around what Malkin is this year if not more

James Franco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Shaby23

Ty god we had a lock-out.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:23 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Holy wow. Thats a ton. Good for him. Good for the ducks for locking him up

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PAZ

Fair deal. He never really took a discount, but it's not an overpayment either.

Much rather have this contract over Parise.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
In general, nearly all long-term deals are bad for clubs. We know something of this in Van, though I think it can be justified for D men and goalies given the reactive nature of their positions. Forwards must be proactive. Odds are Getzlaf's production will be mid-range not long from know.

I'm not going to deny the term could hurt, in the long run. I also think it's unavoidable. This is job security, for a superstar player.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
tsujimoto74

Wow...Bigger cap hit than I was expecting, but really it's probably about market value for a player of his ilk entering UFA. In any case, great news for Ducks fans that they got him extended.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center Ice Scrum View Post
For $8.25 mil/yr, I'm happy its not the Leafs stuck with Getzlaf. He's a fine player and all but neither he nor Perry are worth $8.25 mil/yr. Only players making north of $7.5-8 mil/yr are the superstars/ elite players in the league (Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos). 2nd tier players (like Getzlaf, Perry, Kessel, Staal, Tavares) should be capped off at $6.5-7 mil/yr. Some of these GMs are ****ing moronic. They set ridiculously lopsided market prices and then ***** about how their star players are making too much money?

I really hope Perry re-signs with the Ducks, because if my Leafs sign him at $8 mil/yr + I will be pissed off. Looking at past trends though, Leafs probably won't even bother calling Perry's agent if the price is that high. For good reason I guess.
Tavares is a first-tier player.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Kingslayer

I was expecting about this much. Not shocked. He would have gotten something similiar on the open market. Good move Ducks

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Maybe they could've gotten away with 5 or 6 years, but still a lot of it is going towards keeping Perry too. Plus you can't be afraid of what might happen 6-7 years from now or else you'll never get anywhere.
I look at it this way, and maybe Im wrong, who knows. Perry is going to be looking for his payday too. That would mean 8 years at close to the same money. That would put a tremendous strain on the team in let's say 3-5 years. Having two huge contracts like that.

I think this means Perry is gone. Like I said though, maybe Im wrong.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Well put.

Doesn't say much for Getzlaf's character that he wouldn't atleast give them a tiny bit of a discount to help them bring in other talent.
I dont want to get into some flame war with the Ducks fans but I am tempted to argue that he should have taken a bit of a discount. Such as 7.5 mil per year.

Considering his pedigree, history and loyalty to the team, I would bump him from 6 mil 80 point producer to 7.5mil in intangibles.

I guess an extra .725 isnt the end of the world.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Pittsburgh has to be screaming at the top of their lungs right now. Malkin just made a killing with this Getzlaf contract.
If that's what he wants, he could do it anyway. Getzlaf's deal has zero impact on Malkin.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
He's only had a couple semi-major injuries, one being a freak accident, and the other having more to do with their playoff chances being eliminated(was just shut down for the end of the 2010 season), so I'm not too worried. He plays a rough style of play, but so do many others, and they've been fine.

If 8 years is a concern, then what about the 10+ deals everyone else was getting in the old CBA? Even if they play less physical, that's much more of a risk.
I agree with those 10 years deals being bad too. Just his style of play makes for a shorter NHL career. Bodies break down. That would be my concern.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
If that's what he wants, he could do it anyway. Getzlaf's deal has zero impact on Malkin.
The 8 years certainly does.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:31 PM
dannyj10

Quote:
He was going to anyway. With the new rules, no way Malkin was going to sign for $64 million or so when many lesser players get that. He was and will be getting paid either way.
Geno will have a blank check but he'll do the samething he did last time. Sign for 8.7 because he feels he shouldn't make more then Sid.

dannyj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
TOGuy14

That's a pretty decent overpay by the Ducks. I was expecting 6.75-7 on an 8 year deal

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote